Aerith Died By Drowning?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I stumbled across a video series this morning where the host used real-world research to analyze Aerith's death in FFVII. I thought it was amusing and wanted to get your opinion on the issue.

To summarize, since there is no blood coming out of her wound, he guesses that she slumped over because her spinal cord was severed and closed her eyes because the injury sent her into shock. He even traces it to the exact vertebrae that was sliced. And then, she sinks so fast because living bodies have tension that makes it harder for them to float. He blames the whole death on Cloud! It's all really over-analyzed and pointless because she obviously died, he even admits that, but it was a fun show that really got me thinking. Plus, he says he was inspired by Extra Credits.

And something he didn't mention is that prior to Sephiroth stabbing her, Cloud was under Sephy's control and almost killed her himself. So, in releasing Aerith into the water, it might have been Sephiroth's doing. And I vaguely remember there being some wrinkle about killing people with the Masamune. Anyway, it would also explain why Cloud is so emo for anything after that moment. It's a fun thought question. What do you guys think?

Darn! Screwed that one up. I'm new to the forum scene, so I'm not used to embedding videos. Here's the link I'm talking about...Sorry about the inconvenience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEJ_3_wYROc&feature=channel_video_title

Or she got stabbed by a sword which can do like "3175" Damage with no armour on and died from that? We didnt see any air bubbles when Aeries was dropped either

Interesting stuff. Haven't watched it yet, but you can easily imbed videos on here by doing what you did with the spoiler, just replace the word "Spoiler" with "youtube=" then what the numbers and letters are in the youtube URL. Just wanted to help out a newbie to the forums!

Semi-OT: Anyone else just a general fan of this kind of overanalyzing?

Aeris dies? THANKS FOR THE SPOILER, JERK.

Next you'll be telling me Bruce Willis is a ghost, the Titanic sinks, Jesus dies, Kevin Spacey can fake a limp, and portals can open on the moon.

But seriously, Cloud (at least, my Cloud, who I named MR. FLIBBLE) had, like, 99 Phoenix Downs in his inventory at the time.

Well the Masamune of Japanese legend was a blade so sharp it never drew blood, so that and the not wanting a higher rating is what they were going for.

Although as for people calling Cloud 'emo', it's a pet peeve of mine. He has all his hopes and dreams destroyed, his childhood town burnt along with everyone there, including his mother, tehn he's experimented on for years and has his mind broken, then Zack dies, then he sees Sector 7 destroyed because of him, then Aerith dies, then he finds out his entire identity is a lie that Tifa (who he probably trusts most) didn't point this out to him, remembers all the shit he went through before, gets Mako poisoning and puts everything aside long enough to save the world and then people complain whenever he's upset. Gee, I wonder why he's feeling blue?

I'm not saying Cloud is an amazing character, or that FFVII is "teh bestest gmae EVAR!!!!11!!!1! n u iz teh n00bz iff u fink diffurnt!!!1!!!!1" so please dont' mistake me for a whiny fanboy. And I'm really not trying to attack you or anyone personally, but Cloud, Tifa and Aerith's characters are accidentally or deliberately misunderstood so damn often it really bugs me.

Thanks for the assist! I kept playing around with various incarnations of "embed" this and "link" that, but couldn't come up with anything. Now I know!

And I agree with you about the reviewers that overanalyze games. There are so many people who do basic reviews or who try to add fairly weak story arcs to their videos. I can only hear about how much you liked GEARS OF WAR 3 so many times. I like gaming shows with some thought to them. This series, Game Theory, is pretty good. Apparently, ADVENTURE ISLAND takes place in the Philippines based on the fruit and animals that appear there. He even analyzes the accuracy of CHRONO TRIGGER's time travel. It's cool stuff. You learn about life AND video games!

This is actually a bit stupid.

He's totally over-analysing all of this. It's ridiculous.

You raise a good point. At this point, can we just assume that everyone knows this classic scene? Or does it still require a spoiler alert? I figure, if you don't know by now, it's time to get out from under your rock. To gamers, it's like knowing that America won the Revolutionary War. It's part of gamer history by now.

Holy cow, that's why Cloud is so whiny after this and through all of Advent Children. He blames himself because HE KILLED HER

MightyRabbit:
Well the Masamune of Japanese legend was a blade so sharp it never drew blood, so that and the not wanting a higher rating is what they were going for.

Although as for people calling Cloud 'emo', it's a pet peeve of mine. He has all his hopes and dreams destroyed, his childhood town burnt along with everyone there, including his mother, tehn he's experimented on for years and has his mind broken, then Zack dies, then he sees Sector 7 destroyed because of him, then Aerith dies, then he finds out his entire identity is a lie that Tifa (who he probably trusts most) didn't point this out to him, remembers all the shit he went through before, gets Mako poisoning and puts everything aside long enough to save the world and then people complain whenever he's upset. Gee, I wonder why he's feeling blue?

I'm not saying Cloud is an amazing character, or that FFVII is "teh bestest gmae EVAR!!!!11!!!1! n u iz teh n00bz iff u fink diffurnt!!!1!!!!1" so please dont' mistake me for a whiny fanboy. And I'm really not trying to attack you or anyone personally, but Cloud, Tifa and Aerith's characters are accidentally or deliberately misunderstood so damn often it really bugs me.

Yeah but for someone leading a group to save the world he is kinda whiny about it. I think they just threw all these issues at Cloud to make him seem more tragic, but most the FF heroes had tragic things happen to them. Hell one didn't even exists if I remember FFX right, another lost both parents and lived on his own for the long time(Bartz FF5), One lost her identity and purpose and was scared that she would die from saving the world (Terra FF6), another was pretty much killed his girl/blamed himself for it (Locke FF6), One can't piece what his past was (Squall FF8), one lost the love of her life (Yuna FFX), another lost her/his village due to a corrupt power who saw them as a threat (Rydia FFIV/Cyan FFVI). While I can see why the "emo" thing is a pet peeve and I can see why he would be upset, it's just that square pretty much forced the tragic victim on cloud when

A)He wasn't the only one to suffer

B)He just has so many damn problems that for me at least I can't take it seriously.

All of Cloud's emoness finally makes sense, and the whole I let you die thing o.o

BoredRolePlayer:

MightyRabbit:

Yeah but for someone leading a group to save the world he is kinda whiny about it. I think they just threw all these issues at Cloud to make him seem more tragic, but most the FF heroes had tragic things happen to them. Hell one didn't even exists if I remember FFX right, another lost both parents and lived on his own for the long time(Bartz FF5), One lost her identity and purpose and was scared that she would die from saving the world (Terra FF6), another was pretty much killed his girl/blamed himself for it (Locke FF6), One can't piece what his past was (Squall FF8), one lost the love of her life (Yuna FFX), another lost her/his village due to a corrupt power who saw them as a threat (Rydia FFIV/Cyan FFVI). While I can see why the "emo" thing is a pet peeve and I can see why he would be upset, it's just that square pretty much forced the tragic victim on cloud when

B)He just has so many damn problems that for me at least I can't take it seriously.

The thing is, going back and playing through it, he doesn't *really* whine, at least not excessively. It's like watching Casablanca and realising nobody ever says "Play it again, Sam". Like I said, I'm not trying to flame anybody that thinks otherwise.

And despite whatever troubles there may be with Cloud's character, at least he's not Vaan!

MightyRabbit:

BoredRolePlayer:

MightyRabbit:

The thing is, going back and playing through it, he doesn't *really* whine, at least not excessively. It's like watching Casablanca and realising nobody ever says "Play it again, Sam". Like I said, I'm not trying to flame anybody that thinks otherwise.

And despite whatever troubles there may be with Cloud's character, at least he's not Vaan!

I agree on the last part 100%, and pretty much what you said. It's just watching the movie made me wanna burn the disc in a white hot fire.

No blood, but also no stab wound or tear in her dress either. Aka it was an FMV and that was asking for a bit much then. Other than that. It's interesting but get your science out of my fantasy!

I don't think it is actually water though, I'm pretty sure it is raw, natural mako. It is at the heart of the ancient temple.

That's a pretty amusing video.

His point is pointless as he's discussing a game, a medium where all logic goes out the window in even "realistic" games, but still, it was amusing.

Also, Phoenix Downs revive people from KO, not Death. Although as to why the Death spell only KO's you...go ask someone else. XD

why was there no blood?!

... Because it was the 90's and the technology really wasn't there to support the addition of blood or gore to the very limited animated cut scene.

That is like playing FF7 and coming to the conclusion that every one in the game is a Deaf mute that communicates through sign and body language as there is no audio with the game.

Sassafrass:

His point is pointless as he's discussing a game, a medium where all logic goes out the window in even "realistic" games, but still, it was amusing.

I'm going to argue against this by merely stating that I'm arguing against it. No further comment required.

Felstaff:
Aeris dies? THANKS FOR THE SPOILER, JERK.

Next you'll be telling me Bruce Willis is a ghost, the Titanic sinks, Jesus dies, Kevin Spacey can fake a limp, and portals can open on the moon.

But seriously, Cloud (at least, my Cloud, who I named MR. FLIBBLE) had, like, 99 Phoenix Downs in his inventory at the time.

Phoenix Down's don't cure death, they cure K.O. status. As in "Knocked out".

shadowskater:
Darn! Screwed that one up. I'm new to the forum scene, so I'm not used to embedding videos. Here's the link I'm talking about...Sorry about the inconvenience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEJ_3_wYROc&feature=channel_video_title

you do it like this

(youtube=tEJ_3_wYROc) only you use [these] instead of (these)

I GOT OPINIONS.

First, okay, that kind of makes sense. However, I can't help but feel this is in the same vein of stories like the guy who claims Pokemon is all Ash's fantasy while he's in a coma, and things like that. I.e. a guy with way too much time on his hands analysing something that makes perfect sense in context and that the creators can't be expected to have researched fully - I mean, come on, it's a PS1 game with PS1 graphics, you really expect them to have cared much about having the blood squirt exactly right (or at all? Bear in mind a lot of games are still censored even now in some places to get rid of blood and gore, and this was in the older days on the Nineties where you could get away with far less :P).

Second...

IT'S SPELLED AERIS, NOT AERITH!!!!!

MightyRabbit:

THANK YOU.

Ugh, it annoys the crap out of me when "legitimately disturbed, emotionally scarred, and justifiably upset" gets translated into "emo" just because of the Japanese storytelling style. From what I've seen, Japan's contemplative style and fondness for monologues just means "reclusive emo kid" and "whiny emo kid" to some people, and Cloud is probably the biggest victim of this.

Just saying yeah, you're not alone in your frustration over these gross misinterpretations.

Trivun:

Ooh, my friend... was it not a translation error that resulted in her name being "Aeris" in the English version of the game? For that matter, was her name not intended as a phonetical pun on the word "Earth," meaning the "th" would in fact be more accurate to the original purpose for her name?

Thaius:

MightyRabbit:

THANK YOU.

Ugh, it annoys the crap out of me when "legitimately disturbed, emotionally scarred, and justifiably upset" gets translated into "emo" just because of the Japanese storytelling style. From what I've seen, Japan's contemplative style and fondness for monologues just means "reclusive emo kid" and "whiny emo kid" to some people, and Cloud is probably the biggest victim of this.

Just saying yeah, you're not alone in your frustration over these gross misinterpretations.

Especially because, as was pointed out earlier in the thread, he wasn't even all that whiny or moody in the original game. He actually took all that like a champ, only really falling down during his (understandable) mental breakdown in Mideel. For the rest of the game, he was more mr. stoic "I'm too cool to show emotion." It's all that Compilation of FFVII stuff that made him look emo.

Thaius:

Trivun:

Ooh, my friend... was it not a translation error that resulted in her name being "Aeris" in the English version of the game? For that matter, was her name not intended as a phonetical pun on the word "Earth," meaning the "th" would in fact be more accurate to the original purpose for her name?

Actually, both are accurate transliterations. A more accurate romanization would be "Arisu," with kind of a funky s sound that's not quite s and not quite th.

i found it suspect that she sank like a friggin rock. dead bodies that arent weight down are quote bouyant, unless he cast petrify on her to turn her into a statue

This just in video games are not realistic.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Thaius:

MightyRabbit:

THANK YOU.

Especially because, as was pointed out earlier in the thread, he wasn't even all that whiny or moody in the original game. He actually took all that like a champ, only really falling down during his (understandable) mental breakdown in Mideel. For the rest of the game, he was more mr. stoic "I'm too cool to show emotion." It's all that Compilation of FFVII stuff that made him look emo.

Very true. But even then I think it was justified; I mean he took it all like a champ, but Advent Children takes place after he had two years to deal with it but no real closure to most of it, especially Aerith's death. I think he's allowed to have some serious emotional issues at that point.

You guys realize the video was a joke right?

To put the record straight she was suppose to die in the crater and not the city of the ancients but due to time constraints the had to change that part of the game around. Though she was suppose to be buried near the city but that part was also left out.

Thaius:

Trivun:

(Grumbles)... Okay, I'll give you that. Although to be fair, there is no 'th' sound in Japanese, whereas there is an 's' sound... ;)

Thaius:

Trivun:

Actually I believe it is spelt E-a-ri-su looking at the katakana from her japanese name so both are incorrect technically so while Aeris is probably closer to the original name in pronounciation the `th` would allow it to tie in with the earth theme better even more so if they called her Earith. Not that it matters how its spelt it is still pronounced Earisu technically not air rees or air rith. Oh and this is based on a few seconds of looking up her Japanese name and doing a literal translation I dont know if the people who named her have expressed an opinion of her exact english pronounciation and spelling or if they even care.

As for her dying by drowning it is absurd there are no outside factors in the scene it follows the exact procedure prescribed by the writers if they say she died by being impaled by sephiroth (as I believe they did) that is how she died if they say she died from food poisoning or drowning or some other reason she would have died from that no matter how ridiculous, they are in control you cannot apply real world deductions to something that is not real and vice versa.

As for cloud being emo well yeah he is in advent children (for some reason) and kingdom hearts but not in FFVII while in Dissidia he seems to be some sort of depressed philosophist, god knows why they keep changing his character these days they seem to treate Cloud and squall as almost the same character personality wise maybe they should go back and play their own games.

hoov:
You guys realize the video was a joke right?

I agree. Sure, when and how she died is a moot point and not wanting to spoil the "beauty" of the scene or deal with the blood in an FMV is probably the real reason why there is no blood or wound, but that's the great thing about this guy's video series. Sure, the theories are outlandish, especially this one, but WHAT IF everything was taken at face value? And along the way, you learn some pretty fun stuff--like the guy who could stab himself without bleeding. It's all tongue-in-cheek for just a thought experiment having us look at our favorite games in a new and interesting way.

It's interesting that Final Fantasy VII riles people up like this.

As far as the other videos, I think my favorite is the one on FROGGER where he shows that the species of frog in the game is an Australian green tree frog. Whether or not it's true, he makes a strong case for it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked