Bioware : No, EA Isn't pulling our Strings.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

"A man should be judged by his actions, not by his words."

I think this can also be used for a company.

Obviously there is no evil man in Bioware with a red phone to EA headquarters pulling strings, BUT I honestly believe EA significantly bends certain (and also very important) decisions in Bioware regarding games development to their (EA's) business policy.

I don't feel entitled to blame anyone for how more linear, repetitive, less interactive and less RPG-wise Dragon Age 2 turned out (compared to Dragon Age: Origins). However I will be very, VERY careful with anything Bioware will release in the future, no matter how many great games they produced in the past.

Elmoth:
This is even worse. They admit to to be themselves responsable for their change from respectable rpg developers, to the creators of hollywood action movies, disguised as rpgs.

That was my thought.

Bioware: EA didn't make us crap! We did!

I do not buy that.

EA set the deadline for Dragon Age 2.
Stop bullshitting us EA.

So are they saying that THEY decided to ruin the Dragon Age franchise, not EA? That's not filling me with confidence.

Lord Revan 117:
So are they saying that THEY decided to ruin the Dragon Age franchise, not EA? That's not filling me with confidence.

Yeah, I dread to think what ME3 will be like. ME2 was bad enough when compared to the first. If that wasn't EA's fault either then bioware has apparently just lost it.

Did E.A. ask you to say that? I though so.

Elmoth:
This is even worse. They admit to to be themselves responsable for their change from respectable rpg developers, to the creators of hollywood action movies, disguised as rpgs.

This guy has a painful point, by saying this bioware is more or less admitting to that perceived cardinal sin of dumbing down there game's into generic, mildly above average 3rd person action games with rpg 'lite elements and leaving themselves naked to the backlash that mass effect 3, dragon age 3-9 and whatever brands they melt down is going to bring. I mean before there was always the fear that things where being dictated by EA, but now? now we all know that bioware is fast turning into its master

So instead of staying hidden under the excuse 'EA is the hivemind controlling us" you openly admit you are engaging in the hiveminds will on your own? You have admitted that every bad move Bioware makes is of your own volition so no longer can you hide behind EA when you let an IP die at your mercy, make an MMO for mass effect, or make a shit product. This mean's the Hivemind has taken roots too deep. You deny it but we know EA is the reason why this happened and now you embrace it.
Thank you for saving the Inquisition time investigating. Where is my rubber Exterminatus stamp... DAMMIT BILL DID YOU TAKE MY STAMP! *grabs bolt pistol* Exterminatus on hold for a moment.

cookyy2k:

Lord Revan 117:

Yeah, I dread to think what ME3 will be like. ME2 was bad enough when compared to the first. If that wasn't EA's fault either then bioware has apparently just lost it.

Well in my opinion ME2 wasn't a bad sequel, but taking out the micro management like changing your squad's armour was a bad move. Also they decided to remove the whole planet exploration which gave the first tangible scale. Not just a linear shooting gallery. DA2 was an abomination compared to Origins.

Dragon Age: Origins
-Announced in 2004 and lovingly developed until its release in 2009

EA bought Bioware in 2007.

Dragon Age II
-Announced in 2010. Rushed without any TLC and released in a year.

Yeah, EA sure isn't pulling the strings.

So instead of us blaming EA for all their horrible decisions lately, they want us to blame them?

Bioware, make some sense.

JustaGigolo:
So instead of us blaming EA for all their horrible decisions lately, they want us to blame them?

Bioware, make some sense.

Maybe they want to seem as masters of their own destiny.

Guys who suffer domestic abuse rarely come forwards, maybe this is just bioware's pride coming through.

They would rather be blamed for the drop in game quality than appear weak and abused by EA.

I actually talked to Brent Knowles, the Senior Designer of Origins via Empire Avenue. I asked him about why he left, he said after 4 years of making Origins he was tired, when he heard they wanted to make a more action oriented sequel, he left. He left EA out of the conversation though...

Susurrus:
The other thing is: Didn't the lead designer leave in the midst of DA2's development?
Artistic differences perhaps, but if that doesn't smack of a change in the design culture, I'd be very surprised.

That's a good question, has anyone compare and contrasted the credits list between the two games?

Versuvius:
I still think EA is to blame for the DA2 fiasco >.>

That is true, the soundtrack composer for DA 2 said that EA was eager to get DA 2 out of the door and to capitalize on DAO's success ('MOAR MONEY MWAHAHAHA'.)

So basically, Bioware is saying "Don't blame JUST US when TOR and ME3 are shite! Blame EA too!"

No_Remainders:
So, in other words, Bioware, it was your decision to have an online pass for the multiplayer of Mass Effect 3 (a game which shouldn't have multiplayer in the first place)?

Go away before you disappoint me any more. -.-

Whilst I agree with you to an extent, we have to remember that no one wanted Multiplayer in Assassin's Creed, and it turned out for me to be one of the best multiplayer experiences i've ever played.

You never know, ME3's "multiplayer" (not sure it's even been confirmed yet) could be complete awesomeness.

so bioware is trying to tell me that the people footing the bill don't really want anything to say about the final product which is supposed to make them money? sorry but i'm not buying it. they may not have as much of a stranglehold on the creative process that some people think but they are certainly always in the ear of the games directors trying to ensure a good ROI.

Eh, I don't really care that EA and Bioware work together now, as long as Bioware remains true on the course of the games I've come to enjoy from them so far (KotOR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc). So far, save perhaps Dragon Age II to some extent, they haven't disappointed me. Although, let's be honest, it's primarily EA whom is forcing Bioware into the constraints they have demonstrated with Dragon Age II as of recent. EA just wants to cover their ass with the body shield of one of their subordinate companies.

..But they had damned well better make Mass Effect 3 one hell of a send-off for the trilogy, damn it!

Lucyfer86:

Elmoth:

Which are actually way better than "traditional" RPG's.

I didn't like Mass Effect 2 that much and I agree with you.

SidingWithTheEnemy:

JamesStone:

Rocklobster99:

I don't think you understand what an epic is.

I donīt think you understand what opinions are.

I don't think I understand anything of what you mean.

For the LOVE of whatever entities you believe in, please just F*CKING stop TO overuse THAT motherf*cking QUOTE Button if you want other users to actively follow your posted comments. Why isn't there some rule explaining how to use that gorram QUOTE button appropriately. You are quoting more than you actually write for yourself. That's you know... but I digress...

back on Topic:
Maybe some of you made a mistake in the past. Did you get a second chance?
Well, let's see if Bioware gets its second chance as siding with EA was like your neighbor sleeping with your wife kind of bad idea thing.

Just so we're all on the same page here...

An epic is a long poem, typically one derived from ancient oral tradition, narrating the deeds and adventures of heroic or legendary figures or the history of a nation.

Good, now that that's settled, what were we talking about?
runs and hides from SidingWithTheEnemy

No_Remainders:
So, in other words, Bioware, it was your decision to have an online pass for the multiplayer of Mass Effect 3 (a game which shouldn't have multiplayer in the first place)?

What exactly, if I may ask, will multiplayer do to ruin the single player?

That's quite alright, Bioware; I was blaming you for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 from the start.

Anti Nudist Cupcake:

No_Remainders:

Its resources drawn from SP to put in a mode to appeal to more people.

Anti Nudist Cupcake:

No_Remainders:

They don't have unlimited resources. Whatever budget is being used for the multiplayer could very well be put towards bettering the single player game.

No_Remainders:

Anti Nudist Cupcake:

No_Remainders:

They don't have unlimited resources. Whatever budget is being used for the multiplayer could very well be put towards bettering the single player game.

As I understand it they said they were going to make the single player shorter than all the other mass effect games anyway. I would think that would give them an opening to work on multiplayer if they wanted to but it could also just mean that although the single player is shorter, they are putting ALLOT more effort into making it awesome than in the previous games, so much more effort in fact that it would still take up the effort that the whole team would have spent making it longer. On the other hand though bioware has reported that if they were to put in multiplayer it would have to fit in seamlessly and not just be a thrown in feature, this kind of attitude would also indicate that although they might add multiplayer they would also ensure that the single player campaign stays great.

^^^ Most of this is just me thinking out loud and not really a proper response.

Reading all these threads, I finally get it (well, by "reading", I mean skimming and by all, I mean "some of"). It is now officially "cool" to hate on Bioware on the internet.* I suppose I better drop everything and join in, because if there's one thing I fear more than anything, it's not appearing "cool" on the internet.

*at least until so many people hate them that you will actually seem cooler if you like them. I'll give it until maybe a week or so after the release of ME3.

Lucyfer86:

Elmoth:

Says someone who has never played a traditional RPG past the first chapter.

(I can tell.)

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Lucyfer86:

Elmoth:

(I can tell.)

Either trollin', or never heard thing called opinion. You sir, enjoy your ignorance.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Lucyfer86:

Elmoth:

(I can tell.)

You do know that that post is a couple of months old right? Also ever hear of personal tastes?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked