The PC version of Rage is unplayable

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

.....it seems.

Just look at what this guy said:

ShuttleLuv:
I feel scammed. Fucking scammed. John Carmack.....why? You just lost every ounce of your elite status as a game programmer. This game is shit, plain and simple.

Visually, one of the worst looking games that has come out in 7 years. Far Cry looks better than this. This game has the worst texture pop in, textures (we're talking Quake 2 / Sin quality, possibly low end Quake 3 here) I have seen yet on a modern game. Doom 3 is visually and gameplay wise superior to this game in every aspect. Absolutely no HDR or lighting, nothing modern. The desert has no shadows, nothing casts shadows it's all static.

OMFG.I am so pissed. I spent $60 on this hunk of dog shit when money is tight. NEVER again. Gaming on this very night, the 4th of October, has died. Gaming is dead, long live the king. The game has no direction, no compelling storyline, visuals that reek, terrible mouse controls, no console, no tweakablity. What the fucking fuck is this and how did it get past John Carmack's brain? Too much cell phone programming. I actually cannot force myself to load it back up, it's THAT bad.

This game aint got shit on Duke Nukem Forever. I'm just awe struck. I told my nephew tonight gaming has died. The true pc gaming is dead forever, fuck your texture packs, fuck your patches. This is a Xbox 360 game ported sneakily to look like a pc game. It's a wolf in sheeps clothing. No goddamn excuse that having a sandy at 5 ghz, 12 gigs of ram, and a GTX 480 @ 580 with 1.5 gb of ram looks like this. I want my $60 back motherfucker!

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1640874

I know it just sounds like trolling, but the thing is that a lot of the things he says have been proved to be true. For example, it has been reported that the PC version of Rage suffers from horrible almost game braking technical issues.

Just look:

Id Software has always been known for making really good engines so this really shocks me since I would never in a million years believed that their games could be released in such a poor state.

And the worst part is that some of those issues can't actually be fixed it seems, and that the actual game itself appears to be merely ok even if you don't suffer any technical issues, with the gameplay merely being ok while the graphics are nothing special which is really unusual for a Id game (remember how extremely good Doom 3 looked when it was first released?)

I hope Doom 4 will be much better.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Kopikatsu posted some screenshots from the game on page 2, I decided to re-post them here to further show the downright weird technical issues this game appears to suffer from.

Kopikatsu:
They have fun pictures on SPUF.

That video you posted made me laughing my ass off. I'd noticed that happening occasionally in Dead Island, but it wasn't nearly THAT bad.

Eh. It didn't look like it would be a good game anyway- But there was this one Gamestop employee that raved about how awesome it would be. I'm going down there tomorrow to go laugh at him. LAUGH AT HIM.

so glad i chose dark souls... ill get rage once its fixed and maybe less then the price now we'll see.

wow.....

that is unforgivable..... Seriously, to release a product in that state is so shockingly bad that they will alienate so many customers from the bad rep from this alone... never mind the poor shaggers who actually bought the game....

wow....

Kopikatsu:
That video you posted made me laughing my ass off. I'd noticed that happening occasionally in Dead Island, but it wasn't nearly THAT bad.

Eh. It didn't look like it would be a good game anyway- But there was this one Gamestop employee that raved about how awesome it would be. I'm going down there tomorrow to go laugh at him. LAUGH AT HIM.

make sure to point real hard.

While that does suck that the game was released like that and I do hope they fix it soon, I can't get over how fucking pissy some people get over this kind of shit. I mean, I refuse to believe that some people are so jaded that they genuinely believe that games like Far Cry or Doom 3 honestly look better than a game like Rage.

Oh god... do you have a window I can jump out of? I'd prefer not to break my PC so I can play much BETTER games...

Kopikatsu:
[...] I'm going down there tomorrow to go laugh at him. LAUGH AT HIM.

Now be a good sport and bring a camera along to share it later...

Back on Topic:
I finally no longer need to search for reasons why they are some many console haters out there, and with each day their numbers are rising...

Never before have I been so grateful at a game being released in the states before EU.

I've seen some terrible console to PC ports before but that was laughably bad.

I was actually looking forward to this but I think i'm going to have to pass.

I considered buying this game, glad I didn't do it. Well that guy is exaggerating a lot, PC gaming dead because of one game, really? But you aren't the only person I've heard saying that it's bad. Pretty much everyone who's bought it, is disappointed. I've yet to hear a person say that it met his expectations or at least that it's a good game.
I guess I'll buy it after they'll fix some of the worst issues and at a much lower price.

That video looks like what happened with borderlands but a heck of a lot worse...

Oh noes! The textures take a fraction to load sometimes because they are so detailed, THE HUMANITY! *Falls to knees and weeps (/sarcasm)

I think I'll be more inclined to take the advice of the actual reviewers on this sight rather than some random guy on the internet who sounds like what would happen if a diva overdosed on Ritalin.

Wow... Well, I wasn't that impressed with Rage when I first saw it, but now after seeing this... I'm definitely going to wait for this one.

"Graphics that have to be seen to be believed - Powered by id's cutting-edge new id Tech® 5 engine, new Megatexture technology brings the vast wasteland to life in never-before- possible detail with action running at an astounding 60 frames per second."

That is the quote from its steam page, yes they do have to be seen to be believed, stunning lack of polish, oh well, that's another 60 dollars in the bank for me

I suspect this game will run perfectly on my older video card, but .. the engine chucks coniptions with recent AMD cards.

NinjaDeathSlap:
Oh noes! The textures take a fraction to load sometimes because they are so detailed, THE HUMANITY! *Falls to knees and weeps (/sarcasm)

I think I'll be more inclined to take the advice of the actual reviewers on this sight rather than some random guy on the internet who sounds like what would happen if a diva overdosed on Ritalin.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/04/raging-about-rage-pc/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/04/rage-pc-players-experiencing-laggy-textures-and-low-framerates/

Its sub-par, end of discussion.

When they don't even bother including proper graphics options, there's an issue; its a sign of laziness, more so than the technical problems.

And its not "sometimes", its every time he turns around in the exact same bloody spot.

I haven't seen texture pop in so bad since Mass Effect 1 or the PC port of Borderlands.

At least the guy in the video could get somewhere. My version is unplayable because the screen fills up with black boxes and lines wherever I look.

Biggest piece of fucking horseshit I've bought in a long time.

My GTX460 and I will be eagerly awaiting the game... Monday-ish.

If I have issues with buggy graphics? Eh, no biggie, I'll just put the game aside, finish something else from my backlog, and wait for the patches (or driver updates) to do their job.

Soviet Heavy:
I haven't seen texture pop in so bad since Mass Effect 1 or the PC port of Borderlands.

Or The Last Remnant, or really pretty much any other Unreal Engine 3 game. That and the usual lack of AA has always made me kind of cranky when stuff uses UE3, although being able to run stuff maxed out on a two-year-old mid-range card is always nice. Watching that video and seeing something steal the texture pop-in crown by a mile definitely cheered me up a bit, though. It really is possible to do an even worse job of it. Impressive!

True PC gaming lives in MMORPGs(P2P and F2P) and MOBAs, as well as the base FPS games.
IT lives where the games are made dedicted to the PC

That's really bad. I mean even Second Life - which is as unoptimised as you can get and loads everything around you all the time because it literally can't store the world on your system - even SL only loads a texture once, not every time you turn your back on it for 5 seconds.

Perhaps after becoming a subsidiary of Bethesda, id figured they'd impress their new overlords by adopting the oh-so-famous Bethesda "let's piss all over the people who made us famous and popular!" philosophy...

EDIT: The PC version currently has a 40 user rating on metacritic. Glad I decided to wait and get this game when it was 10 dollars during a steam sale.

Oh come on you only pay $60, you can't expect top quality :P
But I do partially blame ATI / AMD their OpenGL drivers suck donkey balls.

Woodsey:

NinjaDeathSlap:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/04/rage-pc-players-experiencing-laggy-textures-and-low-framerates/

When they don't even bother including proper graphics options, there's an issue; its a sign of laziness, more so than the technical problems.

And its not "sometimes", its every time he turns around in the exact same bloody spot.

It's not "end of discussion". A handful of opinions on the internet does not an "end of discussion" make. I'm not saying that it isn't an issue at all, but what I am saying is that of all the things that could make a game 'bad' laggy textures are pretty far down the list. Neither am I saying that Rage is a great game, because I haven't played it yet, but it would take a lot more than one piece of relatively minor bad news to stop me from even giving it a chance. Maybe it is a sign of laziness, or maybe they just put so much of their time into making what looks like one of the most expansive games of the year they overlooked one little thing which will probably be patched at some point soon.

In short, chill.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Woodsey:

NinjaDeathSlap:

It's not "end of discussion". A handful of opinions on the internet does not an "end of discussion" make. I'm not saying that it isn't an issue at all, but what I am saying is that of all the things that could make a game 'bad' laggy textures are pretty far down the list. Neither am I saying that Rage is a great game, because I haven't played it yet, but it would take a lot more than one piece of relatively minor bad news to stop me from even giving it a chance. Maybe it is a sign of laziness, or maybe they just put so much of their time into making what looks like one of the most expansive games of the year they overlooked one little thing which will probably be patched at some point soon.

In short, chill.

Its a 10-hour game. And its not "opinions", the game is nigh-on unplayable for a lot of people, performs like crap for others, and is just full of amateur technical troubles for others.

Professional reviewers won't tell you because they reviewed the game on machines iD set up for them.

NinjaDeathSlap:

But it really takes a lot to get them into that state...

Besides, "so detailed"?

He's right, Far Cry EDIT: looked almost as good. This is a very bad thing, as far cry was made in 2004.

So....does that mean it's alright on console?

I was planning on picking it up for PC but if it's that bad I may just get it on my PS3.

Mr.K.:
But I do partially blame ATI / AMD their OpenGL drivers suck donkey balls.

You'd think ATi/AMD would get their act together after Doom 3 was released and it ran like crap with their available drivers, but apparently not?

Graphics card driver issues for a PC game?

That's a first!

/sarcasm

If the issues aren't fixed soon, I would be pissed off too. If i was a AAA PC gamer that is.

Stall:
Perhaps after becoming a subsidiary of Bethesda, id figured they'd impress their new overlords by adopting the oh-so-famous Bethesda "let's piss all over the people who made us famous and popular!" philosophy...

EDIT: The PC version currently has a 40 user rating on metacritic. Glad I decided to wait and get this game when it was 10 dollars during a steam sale.

I bet they just adopted the newest iteration of Bethesda's gaming engine. Get a good look, guys, that's what Skyrim will look like.

Wow....I'm really genuinly upset about this, as in I'm 5 years old and just been told Santa isn't realy upset. ID prided themselves on not releasing a game until it's ready, it was there motto, there may have been a wait, but when you got the game it was polished to perfection. This is unaceptable and I can't believe they put the game out like this.

NinjaDeathSlap:

It's good but damned buggy. Locks up when I try to enter the sewers and the texture lag. Not really the end of all things, I suspect most problems will be fixed. Less buggy than most Bethesda games on launch, that's for sure.

Wow... I knew Rage would suck from the day it was announced, but I thought it was just because it is a lame idea for a game, not because of GLARING technical issues.

There should be some kind of law against this. Oh wait, there is! These guys advertized this game and in those advertisements you couldn't see these problems. So you picked up the game, and as it turns out it's a shitty console port plagued with game-breaking bugs and other issues. You have every right to demand a refund because of false advertisement.

shrekfan246:
I bet they just adopted the newest iteration of Bethesda's gaming engine. Get a good look, guys, that's what Skyrim will look like.

It's not the same engine, thankfully.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or