The PC version of Rage is unplayable

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

HerbertTheHamster:
At least the guy in the video could get somewhere. My version is unplayable because the screen fills up with black boxes and lines wherever I look.

Biggest piece of fucking horseshit I've bought in a long time.

My console copy seems to be running just fine. Wonder why? image

Seriously though that's not cool when you spend $60+ on a game and it doesn't work worth a shit.

Wait. People thought Rage was going to be good? What the hell is wrong with people?

Yep I'm pretty pissed right now. Wasted a good 2.5 hrs just trying to get the stupid game to work. Managed to do a mission, was totally depressed by the absolute SHIT sounds and textures and lack of any sort of visual fidelity, and then it crashed as soon as it tried loading the next area. FUCK YOU iD! I just uninstalled the AMD Rage "fix" drivers and going back to 11.10 so I can at least play some Battlefield 3 and release this... RAGE!

Treblaine:

Still Life:

Treblaine:
]
Carmack's twitter feed has been quietly insisting on the latest drivers before you even think of playing Rage.

Now it turns out AMD either didn't have the drivers ready or released a bunk version, it may very well the game was tested but tested with closed-beta drivers that AMD hasn't released publicly in a timely manner. Carmack is hardly the most persuasive (intimidating) of characters, I can imagine if he asked AMD to have the drivers ready by release the AMD took that as a request where tardiness was an option.

He's a bit of a perfectionist, and things have clearly not been perfect.

JC has actually talked about the wasted potential of GPUs because of drivers which are not properly optimized. In his recent keynote at Quakecon he showed some frustration towards some of the business practices in the industry.

It's a shame, because frustration is being vented towards id, whereas a big part of the problem are the graphics hardware corporations.

And THAT is why things will never change, as long as those responsible are not held to account then how can there ever be amends?

Unless the driver control is actually put in the hands of the developers... is that even possible?

Carmack has spoken a lot of what it takes to really let PC achieve the potential it is capable off, that it is down to things like AMD and nvidia agreeing on a standard memory protocol. That each games console has, and could exist for all of the next generation of graphics cards.

One thing I just don't get is NO graphics detail options? Surely, you jest Mr Carmack?

Agreed.

Though, if I recall, Doom 3 didn't exactly have comprehensive graphics options in its menu either. Regardless, you should be able to tweak Rage's graphics in the config files, or through the console.

Yopaz:

Now who would imagine that Far Cry, a game created in 2004 mainly for Xbox 360 and PS3 would look better than a poor port of a game running with broken drivers created for the same hardware?

Far Cry has never been on consoles, not in its original form anyway. The first one has always been a PC exclusive. It was reimagined for consoles with FC Instincts, a sequel to FC Instincts was released on consoles, and the FC2 was released for all 3. And if I remember correctly there were little to no complaints about the PC version of Far Cry 2.

Meanwhile, I've gotta ask why the developers of Just Cause 2, a much smaller team than the combination of Bethesda and id can port it to PC's, make clear that it's a port, add a ton of graphical features, and make it all work smoothly, when this one looks and works like shit when it was made by a group of developers who got big and famous solely on the PC.

The console versions seem to look and work fine, if anyone is interested in buying it, but I don't think I want to if the developers show this sort of disdain for their own product. I would be getting it on 360, but not right now.

EDIT: Unless it's because of poorly optimized drivers. I guess it might not be id and Bethesda's fault. Still, they should never have released a game which doesn't work.

SidingWithTheEnemy:
Back on Topic:
I finally no longer need to search for reasons why they are some many console haters out there, and with each day their numbers are rising...

I grew up playing consoles exclusively, and the past few years have seen me turn into more of a PC hound. I feel weird saying that I'm starting to hate consoles for being the cause of shit like this. :/

Mydogisblue:
While that does suck that the game was released like that and I do hope they fix it soon, I can't get over how fucking pissy some people get over this kind of shit. I mean, I refuse to believe that some people are so jaded that they genuinely believe that games like Far Cry or Doom 3 honestly look better than a game like Rage.

Can you really blame them in this particular case though? Yes, statements like Doom 3 and Far Cry are better are probably exaggerations of the highest caliber. But based off the video and screenshots, I'd say they aren't in the wrong here when throwing some hate at this game here. It's really sad too because all the gameplay footage from the console version made it look more fun than what I was expecting. But I think to how Rocksteady is delaying the PC version of Arkham City to make sure it's good in its own right and now I'm more grateful for that delay so we don't have a repeat of something like this.

I stumbled on this, I figure I'd leave it here.

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=23760

Wolfram01:
Yep I'm pretty pissed right now. Wasted a good 2.5 hrs just trying to get the stupid game to work. Managed to do a mission, was totally depressed by the absolute SHIT sounds and textures and lack of any sort of visual fidelity, and then it crashed as soon as it tried loading the next area. FUCK YOU iD! I just uninstalled the AMD Rage "fix" drivers and going back to 11.10 so I can at least play some Battlefield 3 and release this... RAGE!

If it makes you feel any better, I just bought Crysis 1 on my PS3 out of morbid curiosity. It's a pile of slow, dumbed down, low res shit that gave me a headache just looking at it. I'm going back to play the ORIGINAL PC version, which is infinitely better.

WHY were people even expecting Rage to be good? Because it was being published by Bethesda?

:S

I just don't understand. It looked so generic and straightforward of a shooter and it looked so dull. Seriously I think Call of Duty 4 is many times better than Rage, even MW 2 is better than Rage (I actually like COD 4, MW2 I didn't like but its still better than Rage.)

I preordered the game on Steam, played it for about 4 hours so far, and I have to say, I have never seen even a hint of shit like this in the game. It's run perfectly on my machine, with no problems whatsoever. I'm not sure what the people who are having trouble are doing wrong, but clearly something is off.

This is great news, it means i'll be able to buy it for $2 a year from now like i did Alpha Protocol.

Appletizer:
WHY were people even expecting Rage to be good? Because it was being published by Bethesda?

I just don't understand. It looked so generic and straightforward of a shooter and it looked so dull. Seriously I think Call of Duty 4 is many times better than Rage, even MW 2 is better than Rage (I actually like COD 4, MW2 I didn't like but its still better than Rage.)

This I had a look at a few SS's and could tell instantly that this would be a dud.

I had that issue...
And then I updated my drivers...
now the game runs perfectly...
Noob.

NinjaDeathSlap:
Oh noes! The textures take a fraction to load sometimes because they are so detailed, THE HUMANITY! *Falls to knees and weeps (/sarcasm)

I think I'll be more inclined to take the advice of the actual reviewers on this sight rather than some random guy on the internet who sounds like what would happen if a diva overdosed on Ritalin.

Thank you for having no standards and dragging down the overall expectation of quality in gaming. EA and Activision appreciate your business.

I have played Rage for over three hours so far and have not experienced any of these problems. Hopefully the problems do get fixed.

The texture-popping issue could be related to the fact that on consoles you have a fixed speed when looking around while with mouse control on a computer you can go as fast as you please. It's sounds like an optimization issue that wasn't tweaked to fit the PC version.

All guesses aside... ID, you should know such a simple thing like input differences by now.

I like how the excuse on the youtube vid is "Dur you're stupid you bought it on launch." As a developer you'd have to be blind or just plain not care to notice that. Or is this a case of Nvidia being the supported card and AMD just being ignored?

This seems to be so common from bethesda its stupid, I cant remember the last game they released that had a normal number of bugs.

Mr.K.:
Oh come on you only pay $60, you can't expect top quality :P
But I do partially blame ATI / AMD their OpenGL drivers suck donkey balls.

Partially blame that on nVidia - they "acquired" 3DFX ages ago, and all the IP that company had (including their countless contributions to OGL performance with their Glide API). nVidia has steam-rolled OGL performance since then, and ATI is kinda screwed in those regards. With OGL titles, it typically takes ATI 2-4 driver releases to get performance up to par . . .

. . . although, they don't typically have an issue with rendering problems - it's usually more of a performance thing.

Either way, it's looking like the vast majority of Rage's issues aren't specific to either the red or green camp . . . it's looking more like a game engine issue.

. . . and that's a sham(e).

Appletizer:

No . . . people were expecting it to be good because it was being developed by ID Software. ID has been a power-house in the game development industry, and have spear-headed the FPS over the last 2 decades. Although the corridor-shooter is their staple, they've been known for pushing the boundaries of what a game engine can do in terms of mechanics, performance and visuals.

believer258:

Yopaz:

Now who would imagine that Far Cry, a game created in 2004 mainly for Xbox 360 and PS3 would look better than a poor port of a game running with broken drivers created for the same hardware?

Far Cry has never been on consoles, not in its original form anyway. The first one has always been a PC exclusive. It was reimagined for consoles with FC Instincts, a sequel to FC Instincts was released on consoles, and the FC2 was released for all 3. And if I remember correctly there were little to no complaints about the PC version of Far Cry 2.

Meanwhile, I've gotta ask why the developers of Just Cause 2, a much smaller team than the combination of Bethesda and id can port it to PC's, make clear that it's a port, add a ton of graphical features, and make it all work smoothly, when this one looks and works like shit when it was made by a group of developers who got big and famous solely on the PC.

The console versions seem to look and work fine, if anyone is interested in buying it, but I don't think I want to if the developers show this sort of disdain for their own product. I would be getting it on 360, but not right now.

EDIT: Unless it's because of poorly optimized drivers. I guess it might not be id and Bethesda's fault. Still, they should never have released a game which doesn't work.

Oh, but that explains why the original Far Cry looks good, It was created with the mind for far better hardware than the consoles we have.

Of course this has nothing to do with the size or the resources of the developer/publisher. The size of the publisher does not matter in any case. Also you might take not of that Bethseda did not make this game.
This isn't a crappy port because they are too small. It's about dedication, and sadly they seem to be lacking it. This port is clearly just made as an afterthought.

Like it's not going to get patched.

You're looking at a particularly bad case of texture popping. Hardly the end of civilization. Wait a few weeks, they'll probably patch the drivers. You have to remember, this is a brand new engine, tweeking it to work on every available GPU is a lot harder than you seem to think.

Also it's fine for consoles, so anyone with the choice, just get it for one of those.

And I just recently pre-bought this game (released on Friday for EU)... Shit. Wonder if Steam gives refunds.

Treblaine:
In unrelated news, I am playing the Doom WADs that I bought on Steam via ZDoom and it is such fun, even a game almost 20 years old. With mouse look it is so smooth, the enemy variety and progress is to great with such fitting music.

lacktheknack:

Yopaz:

Rage is supposed to be terrible using AMD/ATI cards, but from what I've heard using nVidia wont give you any problems (thank god I decided to go for nVidia). It is sad to see that games that have great potential are completely screwed over with terrible ports. However I believe this will be fixed or at least that the drivers will be improved. That's the good part of being a PC gamer.

Because seven years later, with a LONG time in optimization (a couple years, methinks). Far Cry was done much quicker than that.

It still begs the question: If ID is as dedicated to quality as they say they are, then why did they not test the game with ATI cards!? It doesn't seem fair that ATI users should have two weeks to play the game properly.

Carmack's twitter feed has been quietly insisting on the latest drivers before you even think of playing Rage.

Now it turns out AMD either didn't have the drivers ready or released a bunk version, it may very well the game was tested but tested with closed-beta drivers that AMD hasn't released publicly in a timely manner. Carmack is hardly the most persuasive (intimidating) of characters, I can imagine if he asked AMD to have the drivers ready by release the AMD took that as a request where tardiness was an option.

He's a bit of a perfectionist, and things have clearly not been perfect.

Speaking of Doom, have you tried the Brutal Doom mod? Fucking Awesome. It makes the game a little more modern for my tastes, but it's still acceptable since it made the game play so differently.

http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26904

Also, download the Doom Metal music pack. You won't be sorry.

You're right, how dare they have the nerve to release a product that nobody expected to be amazing, and have it not be amazing?

The nerve of these people.

Wait a minute...

I'm pushing buttons and things are happening electronically to influence a box full of metal and plastic, and it is producing a wonderful image on an amazingly well crafted picture box?! What is this miracle of science?!

JediMB:

Mr.K.:
But I do partially blame ATI / AMD their OpenGL drivers suck donkey balls.

You'd think ATi/AMD would get their act together after Doom 3 was released and it ran like crap with their available drivers, but apparently not?

You can't blame AMD for this at all.... Last time I checked most people on here use Nvidia cards and it still sucks....

JediMB:
My GTX460 and I will be eagerly awaiting the game... Monday-ish.

If I have issues with buggy graphics? Eh, no biggie, I'll just put the game aside, finish something else from my backlog, and wait for the patches (or driver updates) to do their job.

That is the sanest thought in this thread. I trust id too

NinjaDeathSlap:
Oh noes! The textures take a fraction to load sometimes because they are so detailed, THE HUMANITY! *Falls to knees and weeps (/sarcasm)

I think I'll be more inclined to take the advice of the actual reviewers on this sight rather than some random guy on the internet who sounds like what would happen if a diva overdosed on Ritalin.

This exact same thing happened to me too and from what I've seen on the forums its been happening to roughly everyone. Haven't heard a single person who bought it for the PC say it's been working perfectly or not having these problems. But the problem isn't that it takes a second its that it takes a second to load every time you even look away from it. Not to mention this is in an FPS which you are always turning so everything will always need to load every time you look at everything. Also the problem is this shouldn't be happening period. I have 8gb of Ram and 2 GTX 560 Ti graphics cards in SLI and this is still happening. For a game to have optimization that is this horrible for graphics cards strong enough to play games like Crysis and Metro 2033 at max settings is just inexcusable period. The game doesn't even that powerful graphics cards at all. It's not like its so hardware demanding it does this it's that it will do this period even with several thousand dollars invested into a computer. Also I played it at 1080P quality and the graphics on the computer are total crap. I'm being 100% serious when I say that Half Life 2 which was released in 2004 has better graphics than this game. I swear I'm not kidding. Also if you look at the steam fourms in the description of the video the OP listed there are plenty of screenshots to look at. Though to respond to that second part of your post for some reason all the reviews I've seen on this game are on the 360 version of this game. Guess I should have seen this coming.

Sectan:
I like how the excuse on the youtube vid is "Dur you're stupid you bought it on launch." As a developer you'd have to be blind or just plain not care to notice that. Or is this a case of Nvidia being the supported card and AMD just being ignored?

No its not the case of that at all. I use Nvidia cards and this exact same problem happens too. It's also happening to a lot of other people too even with the 285.38 drivers being used.

NinjaDeathSlap:

It's not exactly the pop-in that I find lolable... it's the sheer amount of it. He's facing one way, turns round, then turns back to look at what he was just looking at(*without moving*) and the game has to totally reload again.

Yeah, I don't mind games taking a little time to load when first entering an area, but it seems to be unloading things rather too quickly. Seeing that all the time would harm any immersion the game has, if it has any. I'd rather have lower quality textures than constant reloads tbh.

*imagines circle strafing around an enemy in an environment like that*

Wow, I usually don't find texture popping that annoying but in this case that really is bad. I don't mind it at the start of levels but having that every time you turn around is ridicules. Tho with a widespread and very noticeable problem like that is probably going to patched pretty quickly.

I have played it for about 7 straight now with absolutely no issues.
I have a GTX 560 with the Beta BF3 drivers installed.
I did need to force V-Sync through my Nvidia control panel to fix a screen flicker issue, but after that no problems.

The lack of graphic options is very disappointing and concerning.

The textures up close look awful, doesn't matter what you do, they are shit up close.
But when your spinning around fighting several mutants at once you don't notice it at all.

The enemy behavior and the combat are like no other game I have played recently, its a very refreshing experience. I am loving the game, but the moments where I look at a wall up close are a bit of a downside.

and people wounder why pc gamers get up in arms over games on the pc -_-

seriously tho, anyone REALY suprised tht we got a shitty console port tht is broke?

Id " lets make it for pc too "
" just stick mouse and keybord support in "
" Should we test it before release ? "
" pffft nahhhh whats the point? "

Anyone notice all the fanRAGE are from those on AMD cards?

I have an NVidia card. Never had a problem with Rage at all.

However, I do remember Doom 3 not working at launch until the graphics driver got a hotfix. I should also point out I was using an AMD card back then too.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked