The PC version of Rage is unplayable

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Sylveria:

NinjaDeathSlap:
Oh noes! The textures take a fraction to load sometimes because they are so detailed, THE HUMANITY! *Falls to knees and weeps (/sarcasm)

I think I'll be more inclined to take the advice of the actual reviewers on this sight rather than some random guy on the internet who sounds like what would happen if a diva overdosed on Ritalin.

Thank you for having no standards and dragging down the overall expectation of quality in gaming. EA and Activision appreciate your business.

So the fact that I am prepared to forgive a game for a few bugs and graphical issues, precisely because the gameplay and story are so much more dynamic and interesting than what Activision and EA usually come up with, means I have "no standards" now does it? Well then...

Thank you for reinforcing even further the reputation of PC gamers as too whiny, entitled and elitist for their own good, meaning that gamers and the games industry will now be content to care even less about what we think. EA and Activision will certainly enjoy the business of all the people you drive to them.

NinjaDeathSlap:
Oh noes! The textures take a fraction to load sometimes because they are so detailed, THE HUMANITY! *Falls to knees and weeps (/sarcasm)

I think I'll be more inclined to take the advice of the actual reviewers on this sight rather than some random guy on the internet who sounds like what would happen if a diva overdosed on Ritalin.

The textures are not anything special. Do not so much as imply that. The original Crysis would run on a half as powerful PC with better textures, more textures, with no problems as amateurish as this.

Oh, and by the way, contrary to your belief, silent complacency is not what drives standards up.

That is pretty terrible, but then I wouldn't consider gaming 'dead' just because the PC port apparently sucked ass. Yeah, 60 bucks seems like it's been tossed in the pisser, and that's always lame, but... calm down dude.

It's probably his grahpics card. Apparently it works very well on certain graphics cards (nvidia if I recall correctly can play it fine).

If it hasn't already, it needs to be patched ASAP.

Also, I saw a video of the graphics settings for the PC version, and all I could say was LOL. They think that they know the best graphics options for your computer? Even if they can choose for you, they should give you the option to pick your own settings! That kind of stuff screams 'crappy console port'.

Oh well, the game didn't really grab my attention, I haven't really bought many games. I guess I'm lucky that I didn't risk getting burned eh?

The game was made using Nvidia cards, and it looks fine on those (from what I've seen). It's just the recent AMD cards that Rage is having trouble with, and I don't think that's id's fault. Quit Raging (oh lawl).

NinjaDeathSlap:

It's really too bad that almost every review out there is for the 360 version. So, good luck with that, guy.

According to metacritic, the only PC version review readily available is PC Gamer UK which gave it an 84. So that's one review against the word of a ton of average gamers.

I was actually really surprised when I heard of technical issues Rage has on PCs, since I held firm belief that id Software will never resort to shamelessly porting the game, and will take their time to make PC version the best of them all. Yaaay /puts on pink glasses. I guess I was only fooling myself.
Anyway, welcome to my shit-list Johnny. Pull up a chair, sit down! Have you met dr. Muzyka and mr. Kotick ? Obsidian entertainment is currently dining in Square Enix banquet hall, and mr. Pitchford will be joining us after he's finished taking a dump in Infinity WasteWard 3000. No,no don't sit in that chair!! It's reserved for Todd Howard.

Sober Thal:
Graphics card driver issues for a PC game?

That's a first!

/sarcasm

If the issues aren't fixed soon, I would be pissed off too. If i was a AAA PC gamer that is.

Game developers/publishers blaming the boogeyman of PC gaming instead of accepting the screwed up!?

That's a first!

/sarcasm

Yopaz:
Now who would imagine that Far Cry, a game created in 2004 mainly for Xbox 360 and PS3

Erm, Far Cry was a PC game, we're seven years later and a console port has only just been sort of announced.

What he's trying to get at is that in seven years, with around eight to ten times as much processing power, Id has managed to produce a game that's technologically behind the first product of a (then) independant developer.

Which is impressive, sort of.

It's a shame to see the company that made Doom and Quake come to this, but it's not like they don't have previous form for 'lots of ambition, very little content,'

#Edit.
These days that level of graphics issue is unforgivable. We live in the 21st century, graphics drivers a freely available, they're not military secrets and there's only a few APIs to worry about (Direct X, OpenGL etc). They're the same ones that the consoles run on too damnit!

This isn't the nineties, there isn't a different chipset and software for every card from every brand, yet they still cannot get it right.

I see a lot of whining, feeling-entiteld people in this thread. For 60$ they do have a point.

But here's a few questions you should ask yourself before you all fall inline with the 'haters':

- Did this guy meet the minimal system requirements?
- Did he update his graphic cards drivers?
- Is there no other way to adjust graphic settings?
- Is that really the PC version?
- Who is this guy and should i even trust his info?

I don't believe you can go from gameplay straight into the graphic options menu like he does in that video, do you know any game that does that? I certainly dont. Maybe there is a seperate tool to change settings outside of the game, now that is something i have seen before.
He most likely cut some footage there, which makes me wonder if there isn't some other options he missed. Or maybe he just didn't want us to see he is actually playing the CONSOLE version? The way he moves around in the game looks more like he is using a controller, not a mouse.

And if you actually read the thread all his info came from: people there seem to know the guy and they say he was bashing Rage even before it came out.

I'll just wait after i see a few more REAL reviews before i make up my mind. As i recommend to everybody

Sjakie:
I see a lot of whining, feeling-entiteld people in this thread. For 60$ they do have a point.

But here's a few questions you should ask yourself before you all fall inline with the 'haters':

I don't believe you can go from gameplay straight into the graphic options menu like he does in that video, do you know any game that does that? I certainly dont. Maybe there is a seperate tool to change settings outside of the game, now that is something i have seen before.
He most likely cut some footage there, which makes me wonder if there isn't some other options he missed. Or maybe he just didn't want us to see he is actually playing the CONSOLE version? The way he moves around in the game looks more like he is using a controller, not a mouse.

And if you actually read the thread all his info came from: people there seem to know the guy and they say he was bashing Rage even before it came out.

I'll just wait after i see a few more REAL reviews before i make up my mind. As i recommend to everybody

Every single question except the last is shown in the video or description.

And yes, I have seen a couple of rage videos for PC and those are ALL the graphics settings. (one of the videos I saw showed the graphics settings on the title screen).

And also, pretty much all of my PC games I have bought in the last 3 or so years (some of them are older than 3 years obviously) have had (way more) graphics settings in the game pause menu as well as in the start screen. Obviously for some settings you might need to restart the game.

The issue is his graphics card and (probably) the complete lack of graphics settings. The game itself is fine from what I have seen, it's just this graphics issue is a problem. If you don't have an nvidia card wait for it to be patched.

The way he moves around in the game looks more like he is using a controller, not a mouse.

I wouldn't be suprised since there is a much better options menu for gamepad controls than the graphics settings...

Sjakie:

What the hell PC games have you played? He put his rig up before the video, if that doesn't meet the minimum system requirements, this game was shipped back to us in the future when a computer built within the last couple of years can't even run a game.

Also, what PC game doesn't allow you to change graphics options while in game? Some games will require you to restart the game for them to take affect, but they are there. Hell, part of the problem with BF3 beta is that, that is the only time you change your grahpics is in game.

You really don't seem like you've actually ever played a game on the computer. Ever.

Its somehow hilariously sad that I am somewhat regretting 'obtaining' this game after reading this thread.

It seems like this is more of a PC problem with graphics cards and drivers. I haven't seen Rage in action on an Xbox 360, and my copy is coming in tomorrow. I'll most likely take the time to upload it onto my hard drive (following Carmack's advice) if it's too glitchy. I doubt I'd lose any love for id, though.

I also somehow doubt that this is all their fault.

This is why I never pre-order games any more and why I know a game will fail when they say it will be ported onto the PC from consoles. Just look at Fable 3 and DA2.

NinjaDeathSlap:
So the fact that I am prepared to forgive a game for a few bugs and graphical issues, precisely because the gameplay and story are so much more dynamic and interesting than what Activision and EA usually come up with, means I have "no standards" now does it? Well then...

A few bugs? I'm sorry, but this is far from just a few bugs:

This isn't a tiny issue, this is a huge flaw, not to mention the game crashes, screen tearing and other fucked up crap. This is just sloppy and shoddy work from both id and AMD. It's broken, plain and simple, and if you're willing to forgive this then yes, you're the kind of consumer that brings the overall quality of games down.

Now, I've pre-ordered it myself because I had the feeling that it looked really polished and well-made. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this Friday, when the game comes out here in Europe. I hope they'll have it fixed by then as the game really does look really entertaining. I never expected a fiasco like this to happen.

Lol why does anyone want to buy RAGE? Yet ANOTHER fps what's the point?

Why are people blaming Bethesda?

They are the publishers, not the developers... they didn't even choose the engine or hardware for it to be optimised on.

Spouting warnings about the stability of Skyrim, based on a game made on an entirely different engine by a different studio... just makes you look retarded. Stick with the tried and tested excuse that every game they made in-house since Daggerfall has been buggy.

Also, the game WILL be patched... if you got it, shelf it until it is. This is not that uncommon on PC, though the severity of the issue definitely warrants some anger.

Fishyash:

Sjakie:
snippit

Every single question except the last is shown in the video or description.

And yes, I have seen a couple of rage videos for PC and that IS the graphics settings. (one of the videos I saw showed the graphics settings on the title screen).

And also, pretty much all of my PC games I have bought in the last 3 or so years (some of them are older than 3 years obviously) have had (way more) graphics settings in the game pause menu as well as in the start screen. Obviously for some settings you might need to restart the game.

The issue is his graphics card and (probably) the complete lack of graphics settings. The game itself is fine from what I have seen, it's just this graphics issue is a problem. If you don't have an nvidia card wait for it to be patched.

The way he moves around in the game looks more like he is using a controller, not a mouse.

I wouldn't be suprised since there is a much better options menu for gamepad controls than the graphics settings...

The lack of graphic options ingame has been confirmed after i did some digging on my own (do your own research people) so he was right about that and i agree that that sucks BIGTIME, certainly for an ID game. But if it's just a matter of optimization for Ati users: that is something PC gaming has suffered from for years and years, it still sucks, but we also know from past history that that will be fixed soon enough.
I remember a few games more that did not have graphic options ingame (or at all: warhammer spacemarine) and there is another FPS that had you quit the game and start up a loose program to configure your settings and did not have any ingame options either. cooky for reference.

Why would the guy use a controller for an FPS game on his PC? that does not make sense to me. It might make sense if he also has an Xbox at home and is used to playing that way, but why did he buy it for PC then and not his Xbox? Mouse precision trumps controller everytime when it comes to FPS games ON THE PC. And that just made me wonder if he was playing the console version and wants us to believe it's the PC release. Posting a few specs before a video is hardly proof. But it's moot at this point.
I'm was abit worried about RAGE being a lame port after all this, but i now think that is not the case at all.
It is as you say: Some GFX issues (if your an Ati user, ID always had a thing for Nvida) and no options menu for it. And allthough that is a big let down for an ID-game, somehow i trust them to make it work flawlessly once they adress the issue at hand.
Still not getting Rage on day 1 when it comes out here, stopped doing that after DA2 came out for all my games and in this case that will benefit me.

EDIT: Ati is allready fixing it here

And Nvidia users are recommended to install driver 285.38

Frostbite3789:

Sjakie:

What the hell PC games have you played? He put his rig up before the video, if that doesn't meet the minimum system requirements, this game was shipped back to us in the future when a computer built within the last couple of years can't even run a game.

Also, what PC game doesn't allow you to change graphics options while in game? Some games will require you to restart the game for them to take affect, but they are there. Hell, part of the problem with BF3 beta is that, that is the only time you change your grahpics is in game.

You really don't seem like you've actually ever played a game on the computer. Ever.

You've got me, i dont even know what a computer looks like tbh. i congratulate you on your most exquisite way of lifting that veil of deception i put over all of you.

Wow. That game looks like a total abortion. That's pretty inexcusable for a game and nobody should be content with it.

Sjakie:

Why would the guy use a controller for an FPS game on his PC? that does not make sense to me. It might make sense if he also has an Xbox at home and is used to playing that way, but why did he buy it for PC then and not his Xbox? Mouse precision trumps controller everytime when it comes to FPS games ON THE PC. And that just made me wonder if he was playing the console version and wants us to believe it's the PC release.

The controller thing was a joke (maybe a poor or vauge one), and if you thought he controlled the game like it was with a controller it may have been due to mouse accelleration or something.

Woodsey:

And its not "sometimes", its every time he turns around in the exact same bloody spot.

Based on my experience with Rage last night (on the 360; which had no technical problems to speak of) it sounds like the PC version of Rage is still optimizes for a console.
POV-based caching/rendering was popular back in the PS2/Xbox 1/Gamecube era; (anyone who played the campaign in Halo 2 will remember this) but I don't get why you would ever need to do that on a modern PC.
Not even the ancient Source engine does that.

Amateur mistakes, really, and I suspect it came down to crunch-time on id's part.

Really though. Even without the technical glitches and graphics, the game has some of the absolute WORST aesthetics I have ever seen in a shooter. It looks like the bastard offspring of Fallout 3 knocked up Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and injected the fetus with a hint of Borderlands in-vitro.

I was gonna get this on the xbox but now supporting the people who thought this was in a y way acceptable feels wrong.

Get your head out of your fucking ass id.

Sjakie:

Specs given so yes he had the system to run the game.

Drivers are an issue but not like you think. He's not the only one complaining about it. Just browse the web for a few minutes, forums all over the place have the complaint. The "fix" is a beta driver so updating to an actual official driver doesn't fix the issue.

There are no ways apart from INI file editing to adjust the graphics. It's 2011, we shouldn't have to be altering game files to adjust graphics.

Yes that really is the PC version. As I said above, people on various gaming forums are complaining about the same issues.

No idea who they guy is but, as I keep saying, he's not the only one with the problems.

I don't believe you can go from gameplay straight into the graphic options menu like he does in that video, do you know any game that does that?

It's extremely rare to find a game where you can't adjust the graphical settings while playing. In fact I don't know of many games where you can't adjust them from the gameplay pause menu, they usually have an option to adjust graphics in those. It's more or less a needed feature when a game is running advance graphics like Rage as not all PC's can run on the same setting so being able to alter them "on the fly" so to speak is a must.

Welcome to the wonderful world of PC gaming. The PC fairy's decided long ago that we too can share the glory of the controller with our console brethren.

PC's have been able to use controllers for a loooooong time.

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/id-tech-5-project/1198334p1.html
http://www.thinq.co.uk/2011/10/4/rage-graphics-issues-point-poor-console-port/
http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/223583/review-rage-360-ps3/
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/04/psa-rage-is-having-issues-on-pc-fixes-incoming/
http://www.vg247.com/2011/10/05/outdated-gpu-drivers-blamed-for-rage-pc-issues/
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/717063/rage-pc-launch-day-issues-due-to-bad-drivers-amd-and-nvidia-promise-a-fix-as-soon-as-possible/
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Rage-PC-Issues-Caused-by-Graphics-Card-Drivers-id-Software-Says-225558.shtml

Oddly enough he doesn't seem to be the only person with a complaint.

People are pissed with this game.

I'm not joining a hate train. I did want to play this but not enough to spend money on something that was released in a state like that.

I've read page after page, thread after thread from quite a lot of gaming websites and they all say the same thing.

Even console players aren't entirely happy. It has glitches and bugs galore.

I see a lot of whining, feeling-entiteld people in this thread.

No you don't. What you see are people that are unhappy with wasting their money.

Wanting a game to work well when you pay for it is not "whiny and entitled" it's common fething sense.

When I pay for a game, I expect it to work well. Thats not me feeling "entitled" thats me being a consumer and paying for a product. I, as with nearly everybody that inhales oxygen, like to spend our money on fully working products.

Actually it is entitlement. When I spend my money i'm entitled to spend it on something that works.

A game should not be released when it has issues like Rage does. That is not a consumer showint "entitlement" that is a consumer stating a fact.

It's a very competitive industry and shooters are a dime a dozen so if one is released and has issues like that then it will affect how well it does.

It was released in America before EU like most games so now us in the UK and EU know it's not a good buy so we can choose to save our money now. People will still buy it but some of us won't.

fix-the-spade:

Yopaz:
Now who would imagine that Far Cry, a game created in 2004 mainly for Xbox 360 and PS3

Erm, Far Cry was a PC game, we're seven years later and a console port has only just been sort of announced.

What he's trying to get at is that in seven years, with around eight to ten times as much processing power, Id has managed to produce a game that's technologically behind the first product of a (then) independant developer.

Which is impressive, sort of.

It's a shame to see the company that made Doom and Quake come to this, but it's not like they don't have previous form for 'lots of ambition, very little content,'

#Edit.
These days that level of graphics issue is unforgivable. We live in the 21st century, graphics drivers a freely available, they're not military secrets and there's only a few APIs to worry about (Direct X, OpenGL etc). They're the same ones that the consoles run on too damnit!

This isn't the nineties, there isn't a different chipset and software for every card from every brand, yet they still cannot get it right.

There hasn't been 7 years of progress since 2004. There has been Xbox 360 PS3 and Wii so there's been 6 years on halt for improving games that are also released on consoles, or let me rephrase that. There's been little improvement because games are meant to be run on consoles with PC as an afterthought. The hardware used in the consoles were mediocre at the time they released, so Far Cry which was made for PC was optimized for specs that probably were better than Xbox 360 when it was released. I admit I have never cared for the Far Cry series so I don't know that it was a PC exclusive.

Don't believe what I said, take this example. In 2007 EA published the game Crysis, what until yesterday was a PC exclusive. Almost 4 years later in March of this year they published Crysis 2. 4 years of technology improvement, so many new graphic cards since 2007, the new Sandy Bridge series was released. They had the chance to make this look great. Why were the graphics worse than they were 3 and a half years in the past?
It wasn't made for PC. It was made for PS3 and Xbox 360 with the PC as an afterthought.
What was Rage made for? Ps3 and Xbox 360. Rage is probably optimized for hardware that possibly is inferior to that of Far Cry.

It's clear that when a company doesn't really want to make a PC port they will do a crappy job. The reason why they can't make it work on the different drivers is simple. Do you know how many graphics cards there are out there? There might only be a 2 major brands, but each card require slightly different drivers. Why do you think Apple restricts their users from upgrading their PCs themselves? They don't want to take responsibility that the drivers work.

a friend of mine has this game, he made a similar video of the first 10 mins of gameplay for the pc
his loads perfectly, there is only a faint shimmer between the texture load times however he is running on a rediculusly high end ssd array drive with around 600mb/s real read and write the issue here is the textures are not being held in ram, possibly due to a problem with open al platform the game is coded in
or pure lazyness on the part of the programming crew

one way or another it's definitely a software issue, you should not have to rely on hardware to load textures that way, it's bad design.
it's not programmed to hold the textures in ram so they have to re-load, and depending on your system that could take anywhere upto 3 seconds

it's a terribly optimised game, i'm glad i didn't buy it as issues like that would drive me insane.

I don't have any problems with the game. I do find it weird that there was no "graphic quality" option. and so far the only strange experience I've had with it is at one point the sound disappeared when I crashed, but came back when I fired some rockets.. I think its a fun game, but thats just me.

I'll prepare myself for the flamming now.

Hmm. I worked on this game for six months, and I do remember there being a lot of weird mipmap issues going on and some areas of the megatexture with extremely low res, but I just figured it was an editor bug.

I've been playing it on the 360, and it looks a lot better than some of the parts that looked like poop a year ago, though I did notice some minor but persistent texture streaming problems. Nowhere near as bad as the videos posted from the PC version, though. I only got it on Steam so I could take screenshots for my portfolio though, anyway v:

I saw this coming a mile away...I've been a long supporter of ID since I first played Wolfenstein as a kid. I defended the ever loving shit out of them when Doom 3 and Half life 2 came out. But this game had the stench of mediocrity all around it since I saw the first screenshots.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Site (places) =/= Sight (eyes)

And it really is a problem, it destroys any chance of immersion (you know, the point of a game), because every time you turn you see a blurry brown wall which then transforms into a building. Also, if you paid attention, the review was played on a console exclusively. So obviously, wouldn't have these problems. Now I hate PC elitists as much as the next person, and perhaps significantly more, but I have to admit this is a dealbreaker. If this were the case on Xbox and PS3 then I wouldn't even consider getting it.

I'm loving Rage on the Xbox. I guess PC gamers just got screwed. Something that after a few months on this forum, I just don't feel bad about anyways.

Yopaz:
They had the chance to make this look great. Why were the graphics worse than they were 3 and a half years in the past?
It wasn't made for PC. It was made for PS3 and Xbox 360 with the PC as an afterthought.

Begin mild rant
I'm a have to call you on that.
Crytek admitted that they shipped with DX9 and no SDK because it was that or miss the ship date. EA provided the money, they also provided the ship date. The base version was developed in DX9 because it's still the widest used API and it transfers well to the consoles (OpenGL on PS3 and DX9 again on 360), both DX10/11 and the SDK were well advanced by release day, but not ready.

Crysis 2 on PC looks incredible, DX 11 and advanced GPU options landed shortly after release, along with a comprehensive SDK. They've been updating the SDK since release too, calling PC development an after thought for Crytek is a bit wide of the mark.

As far as cards go, there are essentially two set of drivers now. Both ATI and Nvidia use standardised drivers across their ranges, to the point where you can upload the Bios from different cards and still have them run, or download an entirely different brand's drivers to work the card just fine. Like I said we're not the 3D-Rage era where every card was unique and had it's own unique API software.
/End mild rant

I actually agree with you that most developers are clearly putting a PC port low on the list as technology has run away from the consoles.
There seems to be a perception that only indies, Blizzard and Valve can make money out of the PC, which might actually be true.

I think longer term this is going to bite a lot of companies in the ass as PC tech has stabilised a lot in the last five years, when the inevitable new consoles arrive in a couple of year's time there's going to be another massive jump in tech levels compared to what the 360/Ps3 can do.
The ones that haven't kept up with PC based tech are going to suddenly find themselves with a skills gap in their staff, which is bad for us all.

Okay well...I was just playing rage about...15 minutes ago. Running on an Nvid 460gtx and a 2.5 quadcore, max settings and so far im not experiencing this. Very rarely a get a split second blur that sharpens and then thats it. IDK. not a big deal to me. I jsut figured that it wsa released about 24 hours ago that there will be some patcehs eventually to be handed out..like most games usually get. Chill out. This rant seems a bit...inflated to me.

I havnt run into that many graphical issues and none have made the game unplayable. However I do have an extremely powerful card. Even so I have noticed a few problems here and there but nothing game breaking. I think the issue is that they have some software that automatically sets your graphics instead of allowing the player to do so manually. That is about the worst option they could have put on for the PC port

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked