The PC version of Rage is unplayable

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

TO THOSE OF YOU WITH GRAPHICAL ISSUES!
The computer is having graphical issues mostly with ATI but some NVIDIA as well. Moral of the story? Check the Beta drivers for updates. I installed the beta drivers released yesterday and the game worked fine for my ATI 5870 with graphical glitches gone and a much better load rate. Now these are only working for some people and a more effective, perm ant fix is on the way for both brands but that point is the fix is on the way. Yes, it was a shit launch due to some game-breaking graphical errors but aside from that the game is good, similar to a mix of fallout and Borderlands. Does it feel almost console-born? Yes. Do they intend to fix that? Thus so far it appears yes.

Instead just wait for the game patches to come out for Rage and for stable, non-beta drivers that will work with the game. With any luck the game will be heavily discounted by the time it works.
Maybe a complete edition too with all the missing DLC included.

Know what's crazy? I'm gunna go use my xbox to play this game. And it will work. And hopefully be pretty sweet.

Sorry to all you PC gamers out there, truly, but don't rip on the entire game just because the PC port is visual and technical shit. It was made for consoles, and thats were the market is.

GeForce GTX 460, same problem. Occasional stutters as well. The game just doesn't want to use my 6GB of RAM. Latest NVidia drivers didn't help. Haven't tried BETA drivers, I use this PC for gaming and work.

Just so you guys know, the awesome PC gaming community has fixed nearly everything on their own. Hopefully we'll get some more official support from Bethesda (like a patch or two) but in the meantime I went from game crashing at startup to shitty texture stuff to a fun, decent looking game.

I'm copy and pasting this from the post I originally made on another forum:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/328391-33-rage-game-thread-bugs-glitches-fixes

Just an update. First off, using the "Rage" driver from AMD does help performance, but it also won't allow crossfire to work. Still, my single 5850 with all the following tweaks runs a steady 60fps and doesn't even top out it's usage (sometimes as low as 40%).

Ok, so first off you have Bethesda blog commenting on how to make the game load bigger texture files (8k) as well as how to force vsync:
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1236250-rage-support/page__p__18743528#entry18743528

Secondly you have Geforce also offering some insight into tweaks, some are similar to what's already seen:
http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

One thing I'd like to point out with the Geforce tweak is it offers a way of forcing GPU Transcoding, which offloads texture work to the GPU. The code for it is:

vt_useCudaTranscode 1 (or 2 or 0)
0=off
1=on/auto
2=on/forced

Finally, probably the best fix is to create your custom config file which can include any of the above fixes. That is to say, the fixes say to add them to the launch options, but it's easier to just save them in a config file. You have to make the file yourself using notepad and save it as rageconfig.cfg inside the rage/base folder.

Info:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2156747

Sample of high end config file (the link above includes a medium and low end config as well):
seta com_videoRam "1024" //sets the Video Card memory Set this to the amount you have in MB
seta com_maxfps "60" //limits the frames to 60 can be changed to what you desire
seta image_anisotropy "16" //Using the highest setting here but you can set as 2, 4 or 8
seta image_usecompression 0
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR" //filtering for light maps
seta image_preload "1" //Use preload images when ever possible
seta image_lodbias "-1" //LoD settings
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0" //Sets up for using HQ gfx
seta image_ignoreLowQuality "1" //ignores the low textures
seta image_useCache "1" //Enabled Cache to allow the textures to load properly without popping
seta image_cacheMegs "125" //Cache size in Megabytes
seta image_cacheMinK "50" //Cache minimum size in kilobytes
seta r_aspectRatio "2" // 0=4:3, 1=16:9, 2=16:10, 3=5:4 TFT, -1 custom
seta r_fullscreen "1"
//seta r_customAspectRatioV "10"
//seta r_customAspectRatioH "16"
seta r_swapInterval 1 //VSYNC 1 enabled, 0 diabled
seta r_useHighQualityPostProcess "1" //Fore High Quality post proccessing
seta r_shadowsHighQuality "1" //Fore High Quality shadows
seta r_displayRefresh "0" //keep it so the engine doesn't double render a frame
seta r_renderer "best" //highest rendering options
seta r_multiSamples "32" //Set this to 16 or 8 if you're having low-fps as 32 is the Max Multi-sampling
seta r_useHBAO "1" //Ambient occlusion
seta r_useRenderThread "0" // 0 Disable or 1 Enable threaded rendering useful for newer cards to increase performance.
seta r_visDistMult "1"
seta r_useMotionBlur "1" //use blur
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
seta r_shadows "1"
seta r_cgFragmentProfile "best"
seta r_cgVertexProfile "best"
seta vt_lodBias "-1" //LoD settings
//below is cache settings
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"

EDIT: One more thing to add. Rage is supposed to have a folder created for it in your AppData folder. You need to make sure you have this folder created (manually):
users\username\appdata\local\id software\rage

Once you create that, as soon as you launch the game you can check it, and there will be a 1gb cache file in there. It helps with performance and texture popping.

And finally to recap what I had done in the OP, if you're using AMD card(s) and the game crashes at startup, you need to disable Triple Buffering in your Gaming options of CCC.

You know, I am experiencing some texture lag, but not to the extent that is in that video. And really, it's nowhere near enough to get me to stop playing the game. It is still beautiful and fun as hell. Despite it being a port.

I do have an Nvidia card though. I feel for the AMD users.

ANYONE WHO HAD ANYTHING BUT LOW EXPECTATIONS FOR THIS SHOOTER DESERVED THIS

Look, I know this was a Bethesda release, I know it's had pretty screenshots, but why should anyone have anything but skepticism against a first attempt? One should always wait for reviews of new games, and if you guys had held off on the urge to gather some random collector's edition box until you'd seen a review you might have seen that it would be better to get it for the xbox, or that you should hold off for about six months while they fix the PC bugs.

New shooters set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland? Bethesda's good name actually works against this for me, since I disliked Fallout 3 so much. You should know the story will never be good quality, the characters will never be anything other than standard, the guns will always just be effective and the gibs will just be over the top.

When will game developers figure out that giant sticky plates of strawberry jam and charcoal flying out from stumps that used to be heads just look like you're making a gears of war clone? I can't stand these 'new age gibs'... I preferred the exaggerated BS of Half Life etc.

Not surprised, at all.

urprobablyright:

ANYONE WHO HAD ANYTHING BUT LOW EXPECTATIONS FOR THIS SHOOTER DESERVED THIS

Look, I know this was a Bethesda release, I know it's had pretty screenshots, but why should anyone have anything but skepticism against a first attempt? One should always wait for reviews of new games, and if you guys had held off on the urge to gather some random collector's edition box until you'd seen a review you might have seen that it would be better to get it for the xbox, or that you should hold off for about six months while they fix the PC bugs.

New shooters set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland? Bethesda's good name actually works against this for me, since I disliked Fallout 3 so much. You should know the story will never be good quality, the characters will never be anything other than standard, the guns will always just be effective and the gibs will just be over the top.

When will game developers figure out that giant sticky plates of strawberry jam and charcoal flying out from stumps that used to be heads just look like you're making a gears of war clone? I can't stand these 'new age gibs'... I preferred the exaggerated BS of Half Life etc.

Not surprised, at all.

This is pretty far off the mark.

1. Bethesda was only the publisher, id was the developer. They know what they're doing in terms of shooting mechanics.

2. There aren't any absurd amounts of gibs. As you shoot enemies they stagger and fall pretty realistically. The character animations in this game are incredible.

3. The story serves it's purpose well enough. Nothing mind-blowing, but it's an action game so that's not why I picked this one up. Although the ending is supposed to be incredibly anti-climactic.

4. In regards to waiting for reviews, they have been generally favorable for the game.

I'm not sure what you mean by "first attempt", though.

Kopikatsu:
That video you posted made me laughing my ass off. I'd noticed that happening occasionally in Dead Island, but it wasn't nearly THAT bad.

Eh. It didn't look like it would be a good game anyway- But there was this one Gamestop employee that raved about how awesome it would be. I'm going down there tomorrow to go laugh at him. LAUGH AT HIM.

I'm confused, why is everyone bitching and moaning about how terrible this game is JUST BECAUSE WHEN YOUR TURN AROUND TOO FAST THE TEXTURES AREN'T READY? Oh nevermind all that part of the game called gameplay or story. Is it some PC gamer thing that graphics are more important than gameplay? I mean I was more willing beforehand to assume it was going to be shit prior to release because it was published by Bethesda, and Bethesda has been known to make huge mistakes, like Wet, Brink and Hunted:Demon's Forge, the only exception being its RPG's of FO and Elder Scrolls.

I mean it's even more baffling that it's unplayable because the graphics aren't the best? Really I though the BF 3 beta has great graphics, but that doesn't mean I found the gameplay enjoyable.

I was under the impression PC gaming was better because the games ran smoother and there's more you can do with the game, not because graphics (something that doesn't really matter) are better.

Warforger:

Kopikatsu:
That video you posted made me laughing my ass off. I'd noticed that happening occasionally in Dead Island, but it wasn't nearly THAT bad.

Eh. It didn't look like it would be a good game anyway- But there was this one Gamestop employee that raved about how awesome it would be. I'm going down there tomorrow to go laugh at him. LAUGH AT HIM.

I'm confused, why is everyone bitching and moaning about how terrible this game is JUST BECAUSE WHEN YOUR TURN AROUND TOO FAST THE TEXTURES AREN'T READY? Oh nevermind all that part of the game called gameplay or story. Is it some PC gamer thing that graphics are more important than gameplay? I mean I was more willing beforehand to assume it was going to be shit prior to release because it was published by Bethesda, and Bethesda has been known to make huge mistakes, like Wet, Brink and Hunted:Demon's Forge, the only exception being its RPG's of FO and Elder Scrolls.

I mean it's even more baffling that it's unplayable because the graphics aren't the best? Really I though the BF 3 beta has great graphics, but that doesn't mean I found the gameplay enjoyable.

I was under the impression PC gaming was better because the games ran smoother and there's more you can do with the game, not because graphics (something that doesn't really matter) are better.

No. It's unplayable because of this constantly happening. CONSTANTLY happening:

Kopikatsu:
They have fun pictures on SPUF.

Mostly the first two pictures.

Whoah, haven't run into anything like those first two pics.

Honestly, the game is pretty fun so far when it works. All the "told ya so" people are way off IMO. It's not bad, and has a lot going for it with the fun action and mix of fps and arcade racing. The story is... Ok. So far the characters are mostly pretty interesting, and getting quests from John Goodman is pretty awesome. I read the book and I'd say it was a much more interesting plot than the game - it's a bit disappointing when the action I expect doesn't happen lol.

Anyway, it's shitty that the game had so many problems. It wasn't just textures, it's crashing/freezing at load screens. I mean it took me 2.5 hrs just to start a new game after installing it. That shouldn't even happen. However the pc gamers some of you are putting down as caring only for graphics, are also the people who solved most of the issues for themselves!

Well, several of the negative reviews besides mentioning the technical errors in the game mention it's flaws in both gameplay and story, mentioning that the game isn't really expansive at all, it's really a linear game, filled with fetch quests, and a subpar story. YEs, stupid to expect a good story on a fps, but like it's been mentioned a bad story is worse than no story. Why they shoehorned all these self-important mediocre story, and fake open worldness, which are only clutter on top of very good shooting gameplay, and enemy AI? They should've just made another good steel room shooter.

fix-the-spade:

Yopaz:
They had the chance to make this look great. Why were the graphics worse than they were 3 and a half years in the past?
It wasn't made for PC. It was made for PS3 and Xbox 360 with the PC as an afterthought.

Begin mild rant
I'm a have to call you on that.
Crytek admitted that they shipped with DX9 and no SDK because it was that or miss the ship date. EA provided the money, they also provided the ship date. The base version was developed in DX9 because it's still the widest used API and it transfers well to the consoles (OpenGL on PS3 and DX9 again on 360), both DX10/11 and the SDK were well advanced by release day, but not ready.

Crysis 2 on PC looks incredible, DX 11 and advanced GPU options landed shortly after release, along with a comprehensive SDK. They've been updating the SDK since release too, calling PC development an after thought for Crytek is a bit wide of the mark.

As far as cards go, there are essentially two set of drivers now. Both ATI and Nvidia use standardised drivers across their ranges, to the point where you can upload the Bios from different cards and still have them run, or download an entirely different brand's drivers to work the card just fine. Like I said we're not the 3D-Rage era where every card was unique and had it's own unique API software.
/End mild rant

I actually agree with you that most developers are clearly putting a PC port low on the list as technology has run away from the consoles.
There seems to be a perception that only indies, Blizzard and Valve can make money out of the PC, which might actually be true.

I think longer term this is going to bite a lot of companies in the ass as PC tech has stabilised a lot in the last five years, when the inevitable new consoles arrive in a couple of year's time there's going to be another massive jump in tech levels compared to what the 360/Ps3 can do.
The ones that haven't kept up with PC based tech are going to suddenly find themselves with a skills gap in their staff, which is bad for us all.

Actually using the wrong drivers can be a huge issue. I've been having several issues with my computer for using a driver that wasn't made for my specific graphics card. Yeah, I was using a nVidia driver downloaded from the recommended section from nVidia for the series I was using. However the update was not made for my card and thus is caused a lot of problems such as screen going black, some videos being impossible to play (only giving blue screen with a line of white at the top while the sound played normally). It even caused a few minor crashes (neither required rebooting the computer).
yes, drivers are standardized, but they're still a bit different from card to card. Now when they make a lazy port using 7 year old hardware there has been a lot of changes on the drivers and hardware since last update. Of course the drivers will be an issue. Especially if they didn't check the drivers for both ATI and nVidia before porting. Also there was made an update to fix it within 24 hours as stated twice already.

I don't believe that consoles will catch up to PCs any time soon. Take a look at Xbox 360 and PS3. They weren't fit to compete with even the high mid-end tech of PCs when they were released no less the high end. The next consoles will be the same. No matter what rampant PC elitist say the price and loyalty is what separates console gamers and PC gamers. If consoles start costing the same as a high end PC most wont see a reason to buy a console other than the games that might be released in the future. A high end PC would already have a steady game library, while a new console with the same specs would be incompatible with older games because of problems with driver and hardware capabilities.
The consoles wont stop lagging behind before they get a service like OnLive integrated to make sure hardware doesn't matter.

Hardcore_gamer:

OMFG.I am so pissed. I spent $60 on this hunk of dog shit when money is tight. NEVER again. Gaming on this very night, the 4th of October, has died. Gaming is dead, long live the king. The game has no direction, no compelling storyline, visuals that reek, terrible mouse controls, no console, no tweakablity. What the fucking fuck is this and how did it get past John Carmack's brain? Too much cell phone programming. I actually cannot force myself to load it back up, it's THAT bad.

This is how I felt about Dragon Age 2.
I never typed on forums or anything until that game Im 28 and I had never fanraged before.
I raged so hard I thought the ceiling would come down and the people who actually liked it>? wow omg their reasoning's made me want to shoot myself. R.I.P spiritual successor of Baldurs gate.

Wolfram01:
Just so you guys know, the awesome PC gaming community has fixed nearly everything on their own. Hopefully we'll get some more official support from Bethesda (like a patch or two) but in the meantime I went from game crashing at startup to shitty texture stuff to a fun, decent looking game.

I'm copy and pasting this from the post I originally made on another forum:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/328391-33-rage-game-thread-bugs-glitches-fixes

Just an update. First off, using the "Rage" driver from AMD does help performance, but it also won't allow crossfire to work. Still, my single 5850 with all the following tweaks runs a steady 60fps and doesn't even top out it's usage (sometimes as low as 40%).

Ok, so first off you have Bethesda blog commenting on how to make the game load bigger texture files (8k) as well as how to force vsync:
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.p [...] ry18743528

Secondly you have Geforce also offering some insight into tweaks, some are similar to what's already seen:
http://www.geforce.com/News/articl [...] ple-tweaks

One thing I'd like to point out with the Geforce tweak is it offers a way of forcing GPU Transcoding, which offloads texture work to the GPU. The code for it is:

vt_useCudaTranscode 1 (or 2 or 0)
0=off
1=on/auto
2=on/forced

Finally, probably the best fix is to create your custom config file which can include any of the above fixes. That is to say, the fixes say to add them to the launch options, but it's easier to just save them in a config file. You have to make the file yourself using notepad and save it as rageconfig.cfg inside the rage/base folder.

Info:
http://forums.steampowered.com/for [...] ?t=2156747

Sample of high end config file (the link above includes a medium and low end config as well):
seta com_videoRam "1024" //sets the Video Card memory Set this to the amount you have in MB
seta com_maxfps "60" //limits the frames to 60 can be changed to what you desire
seta image_anisotropy "16" //Using the highest setting here but you can set as 2, 4 or 8
seta image_usecompression 0
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR" //filtering for light maps
seta image_preload "1" //Use preload images when ever possible
seta image_lodbias "-1" //LoD settings
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0" //Sets up for using HQ gfx
seta image_ignoreLowQuality "1" //ignores the low textures
seta image_useCache "1" //Enabled Cache to allow the textures to load properly without popping
seta image_cacheMegs "125" //Cache size in Megabytes
seta image_cacheMinK "50" //Cache minimum size in kilobytes
seta r_aspectRatio "2" // 0=4:3, 1=16:9, 2=16:10, 3=5:4 TFT, -1 custom
seta r_fullscreen "1"
//seta r_customAspectRatioV "10"
//seta r_customAspectRatioH "16"
seta r_swapInterval 1 //VSYNC 1 enabled, 0 diabled
seta r_useHighQualityPostProcess "1" //Fore High Quality post proccessing
seta r_shadowsHighQuality "1" //Fore High Quality shadows
seta r_displayRefresh "0" //keep it so the engine doesn't double render a frame
seta r_renderer "best" //highest rendering options
seta r_multiSamples "32" //Set this to 16 or 8 if you're having low-fps as 32 is the Max Multi-sampling
seta r_useHBAO "1" //Ambient occlusion
seta r_useRenderThread "0" // 0 Disable or 1 Enable threaded rendering useful for newer cards to increase performance.
seta r_visDistMult "1"
seta r_useMotionBlur "1" //use blur
seta r_skipBump "0"
seta r_skipSpecular "0"
seta r_skipNewAmbient "0"
seta r_shadows "1"
seta r_cgFragmentProfile "best"
seta r_cgVertexProfile "best"
seta vt_lodBias "-1" //LoD settings
//below is cache settings
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizeunique "8192"
seta vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"

EDIT: One more thing to add. Rage is supposed to have a folder created for it in your AppData folder. You need to make sure you have this folder created (manually):
users\username\appdata\local\id software\rage

Once you create that, as soon as you launch the game you can check it, and there will be a 1gb cache file in there. It helps with performance and texture popping.

And finally to recap what I had done in the OP, if you're using AMD card(s) and the game crashes at startup, you need to disable Triple Buffering in your Gaming options of CCC.

Huh. I did the config thing and the cache folder thing. It only stopped the 5 second freezing, but it was still choppy as all hell. The textures seem to be popping in a little sooner, but not soon enough to make a difference. Ironically I had been hoping devs would use OpenGL for a while now....sorry guys.

EHKOS:

Huh. I did the config thing and the cache folder thing. It only stopped the 5 second freezing, but it was still choppy as all hell. The textures seem to be popping in a little sooner, but not soon enough to make a difference. Ironically I had been hoping devs would use OpenGL for a while now....sorry guys.

Hey! Well I'm glad it's better. I didn't realise my links were broken so I fixed them. I suggest that you first off go to the Bethesda Blog link (first one) and see what they say about "+vt_maxPPF". As far as I can tell it's at 128 by default, but you should try 64, or 32, or 16, or even 8 as per their recommendation.

Secondly, you might want to try a the "medium settings" config, which you can find if you follow the steam forums link (third link posted).

Hope it helps!

Wolfram01:

EHKOS:

Hey! Well I'm glad it's better. I didn't realise my links were broken so I fixed them. I suggest that you first off go to the Bethesda Blog link (first one) and see what they say about "+vt_maxPPF". As far as I can tell it's at 128 by default, but you should try 64, or 32, or 16, or even 8 as per their recommendation.

Secondly, you might want to try a the "medium settings" config, which you can find if you follow the steam forums link (third link posted).

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the Bethesda blog, maybe I'll get it working better as I have a quad core, but lower clock speed than most. As for the .cfg I went straight to low end haha.

Just an update: For AMD users, there's a new driver out. It's 11.10 Preview Version 2 and it's a unified BF3 and Rage driver, and it also fixes a few Rage issues like crashing at loading screens and NPC flickering.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU122AMDCat1110PreDriverV2.aspx

=/ i don't really see the problem with the game, i got the steam version & yea i had problem with it crashing the moment it tried to launch, so i updated my graphics card & it worked... 5 hours of play time later im having fun playing a borderlands clone, but as of yet not 1 bug has prevented me from playing the game... slight graphic issues where some characters would cut across objects but that's the worst...

Calibretto:

This is how I felt about Dragon Age 2.
I never typed on forums or anything until that game Im 28 and I had never fanraged before.
I raged so hard I thought the ceiling would come down and the people who actually liked it>? wow omg their reasoning's made me want to shoot myself. R.I.P spiritual successor of Baldurs gate.

Ah, I remember my own experience with Dragon Age 2. I was stupid enough to give into the hype because hey, it's the sequel to an amazing game made by an amazing studio. What the fuck could go wrong? Well, everything went wrong and I do mean everything. It takes a lot of effort to fuck up the sequel to a game considered to be one of the best RPG since Baldur's Gate but EA showed us how its done.

The problem isn't that developers are focusing more on consoles rather than the PC, it's that they outright lie to and deceive the PC gaming community on every fucking occasion they get. Rage is the most recent crap we had to deal with but let's not forget From Dust, Crysis 2, and the multitude of other games released in the past 5 years that have outright spat on the very idea of "PC gaming".

That seems to be just plain lazy on Id's part. If there were more graphics options I'd understand but, honestly, from a company as known for quality as Id I find it awful that they wouldn't even put one of the most basic features of a modern PC game (actual graphics options) that shows laziness and a lack of dedication.

It really annoys me since I was actually looking forward to this game, oh well, more room on PC for Skyrim.

I have also run afoul of this game, sad to say none of the 'fixes' actually seem to fix anything, and the drivers aren't the problem either, the engine is plain broken. So noticeably I don't know how this couldn't have been edged out in play testing. I can only assume they didn't do any for the pc. I've actually seen some complaints from ps3 users as well. Meaning this hunk of junk apparently only actually works on the xbox.

At first I was at least able to play, I did some tweaks and got the texture streaming problem down to a minimum even. However, I came back to it today to give it another go. The game won't play the frame rates are somewhere in the area of 1 every 10 seconds. This makes no sense seeing as how no changes were made to my system between the first and second tries.

I've never seen something so broken before in my life and I've been gaming since the atari 2600 was the height of gaming technology. It's impossible to even relate my disappointment, and that disappointment is not solely for the game itself but for id software. I really feel like we, the pc gamers, the people that put them on the map have been betrayed, and given the comments I'm seeing around the net It's safe to say I'm not alone.

I've seen nothing suggesting a fix is on the way either. Id keeps blaming drivers, but this is obviously an engine problem that strikes almost randomly. Granted it seems to be hitting ATI users a little harder, but Nvidia are not immune, so you can put your graphics company fanboyism on hold, this is a broken pile of mess that should not have been released. I can only imagine that somehow dealing through Bethesda put Id into that 'Sr vs Jr' mindset where the company just wants the game released on a date whether its ready or not, with no concern for functionality or the creative process.

I see money grabbing corporate types behind this, but I still think Id should shoulder the blame as they obviously did not even attempt to stand up for themselves in this. I have no doubt whatsoever that they knew of the problem. I can't conceive how they didn't...

anyhow that is the long and short of it the way I see it.
Betrayed by the very people we hoisted to the position they currently enjoy seemingly turning their backs on us.

...maybe Id is planning on getting into politics.

The only thing the .cfg did for me was to lower the framerate from a solid 60 to 45-60. There where no difference in texture quality. I got it to a playable state (no screen tears) by forcing on a lot of settings in the nvidia control panel, most importantly V-sync.
Really, really dissapointed. I hope that ID will release their rumored 75gb texture pack, maybe then it will look reasonable at least. I can not understand what the problem is, i am starting to think that there is nothing "wrong" but that the game is supposed to look like this, which is strange. Sometimes I stand and look at something, waiting for the high quality texture to load, only to realise that this is as good as it gets.
An AMD Phenom x4 956 Black edition Asus GTX 580 direct cuII and 4 gigs of ram should be able to max this out. The shooting, and mouse controls are rock solid tho. Fun to play a game where iron sights aren't mandatory to hit anything.

urprobablyright:

New shooters set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland? Bethesda's good name actually works against this for me, since I disliked Fallout 3 so much.

Bethesda didn't make Rage...

MiracleOfSound:

urprobablyright:

New shooters set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland? Bethesda's good name actually works against this for me, since I disliked Fallout 3 so much.

No they played EA on it, they became Id's master for this project and it shows.

My gawd... that's worse that New Vegas when it was released...

Hardcore_gamer:
.....it seems.

Just look at what this guy said:

ShuttleLuv:
I feel scammed. Fucking scammed. John Carmack.....why? You just lost every ounce of your elite status as a game programmer. This game is shit, plain and simple.

Visually, one of the worst looking games that has come out in 7 years. Far Cry looks better than this. This game has the worst texture pop in, textures (we're talking Quake 2 / Sin quality, possibly low end Quake 3 here) I have seen yet on a modern game. Doom 3 is visually and gameplay wise superior to this game in every aspect. Absolutely no HDR or lighting, nothing modern. The desert has no shadows, nothing casts shadows it's all static.

OMFG.I am so pissed. I spent $60 on this hunk of dog shit when money is tight. NEVER again. Gaming on this very night, the 4th of October, has died. Gaming is dead, long live the king. The game has no direction, no compelling storyline, visuals that reek, terrible mouse controls, no console, no tweakablity. What the fucking fuck is this and how did it get past John Carmack's brain? Too much cell phone programming. I actually cannot force myself to load it back up, it's THAT bad.

This game aint got shit on Duke Nukem Forever. I'm just awe struck. I told my nephew tonight gaming has died. The true pc gaming is dead forever, fuck your texture packs, fuck your patches. This is a Xbox 360 game ported sneakily to look like a pc game. It's a wolf in sheeps clothing. No goddamn excuse that having a sandy at 5 ghz, 12 gigs of ram, and a GTX 480 @ 580 with 1.5 gb of ram looks like this. I want my $60 back motherfucker!

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1640874

I know it just sounds like trolling, but the thing is that a lot of the things he says have been proved to be true. For example, it has been reported that the PC version of Rage suffers from horrible almost game braking technical issues.

I spent 7 hours today trying to get it working. I have tried every set of drivers from 11.8 onwards, multiple custom config files, clever workarounds designed to relieve the CPU from the strain of rendering... nothing works. I have a system that can run Witcher 2 on virtually-max settings @1920x1080, and I can not get this game working satisfactorily. It is just incapable of rendering competently.

I believe this is at the very least 2-3 weeks' worth of hard work away from being a working game, on my system.

Of course, it's pot luck at the moment. For some people, it's working fine. Mainly Nvidia owners, it seems.

crooked_ferret:

MiracleOfSound:

urprobablyright:

No they played EA on it, they became Id's master for this project and it shows.

I like the way the story has -- overnight -- become a tragedy of betrayal. The heroic plight of PC gamers in a futile struggle with a global corporate conspiracy to empty PC gamer's wallets with shoddy driver support and software which doesn't work as intended.

In the grim darkness of the 21st century there is no peace. No rational explanations. No diffusion of logic.

THERE IS ONLY WAR.

Hoooly CRAP that looks terrible. Thanks for making me save my money.

MiracleOfSound:

urprobablyright:

Yeah, it's we who are Raging here. :)
BTW : It's a great opportunity to cite "Control the violence in your hearts". Musicae magistra vitae est ;)

Yosharian:
I spent 7 hours today trying to get it working.

Not trying to add fuel to fire, but i think that gamers shouldn't invest their precious time trying to fix developer's errors. Instead there should be calm but massive "return my cash dickheads" move. Maybe some companies would finally test their products prior to release ? :|

JesterRaiin:

Yosharian:

Not trying to add fuel to fire, but i think that gamers shouldn't invest their precious time trying to fix developer's errors. Instead there should be calm but massive "return my cash dickheads" move. Maybe some companies would finally test their products prior to release ? :|

I know, I know. Part of it is that I like dicking around trying to make things work. But generally after the dicking around part, I get to play with a working piece of software, and get some satisfaction. Rage is literally incapable of working properly, something I haven't seen very often in the years I've (mis)spent in front of a gaming PC.

I think the last time was Neverwinter Nights 2 where the game would just slow to a crawl in big cities, and there was not a godamn thing I could do about it. But that pales compared to this.

Haha! Guess John Carmack just made everyone his bitch eh?
They may as well have just marketed this as Daikatana 2....

Also:
"Blame Microsoft for locking us all in the past with the relic that is xbox and the nasty innovation killer which is live. They created the environment, these guys just let the quality slide right along with the creativity."

...Words cant describe how much I despise PC Elitists _

Yosharian:

JesterRaiin:

Yosharian:

I know, I know. Part of it is that I like dicking around trying to make things work. But generally after the dicking around part, I get to play with a working piece of software, and get some satisfaction. Rage is literally incapable of working properly, something I haven't seen very often in the years I've (mis)spent in front of a gaming PC.

I think the last time was Neverwinter Nights 2 where the game would just slow to a crawl in big cities, and there was not a godamn thing I could do about it. But that pales compared to this.

I get it, i get it - sweet joy of tinkering. :)
However i still think it shouldn't happen. You invested, pardon, lost 7 hours doing someone else's job. Moreover : a job you earlier paid for. It's because of such attitude game developers are releasing flawed products. Why should they care ? Loyal fans will no doubtly wait for patches. In the meantime : money, money, money...

MianusIzBleeding:
Haha! Guess John Carmack just made everyone his bitch eh?
They may as well have just marketed this as Daikatana 2....

Also:
"Blame Microsoft for locking us all in the past with the relic that is xbox and the nasty innovation killer which is live. They created the environment, these guys just let the quality slide right along with the creativity."

...Words cant describe how much I despise PC Elitists _

XBL is a nasty environment for gaming though... No free updates allowed, overpriced garbage alongside undiscovered gems... etc. Money for pixel items for your avatar to wear. Etc.

Anyway, the real problem is that developers are fucking lazy and just want to develop for both platforms (i.e. console and PC) without investing the necessary resources to do so.

JesterRaiin:

Yosharian:

JesterRaiin:

I get it, i get it - sweet joy of tinkering. :)
However i still think it shouldn't happen. You invested, pardon, lost 7 hours doing someone else's job. Moreover : a job you earlier paid for. It's because of such attitude game developers are releasing flawed products. Why should they care ? Loyal fans will no doubtly wait for patches. In the meantime : money, money, money...

Agreed.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked