I need a good Training FPS

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ok first of all no I don't mean for real life, I know the vast difference between pulling a trigger and pushing a button in a game. Second I only really play PC anymore, so I need suggestions for that.

It boils down to this, my GF just got into FPS games. Borderlands in fact which doesn't really teach you how to shoot. Although competent enough to head shot, she all in all sucks when it comes to FPS. I want to find a game that might teach her more of the ropes. All I can think of is Call of Duty 4 MW with the training mission in the start.

I like to watch her play, but every time I shake my head and sigh when she doesn't strafe and just stands there getting shot down. So any games that can sort of help improve FPS gaming skills?

Twitch gaming would suggest Counter-Strike or TF2

Serious Sam. If that's not an FPS trainer I don't know what is.

Counter-Strike: Source -> GunGame.
It's unforgiving and therefore will be a pain in the ass in the beginning, but after you get the hang on it...well, Borderlands will be easy as nothing, as Borderlands is nowhere as fast-paced and tense. Besides that, CSS-GG is fun as hell, if you aren't playing on bad maps.

In general, I'd say Perfect Dark for the N64. The variety of guns, bots, and maps makes for the crafting of virtually any given situation one could encounter. For the PC specifically, I'd recommend Serious Sam or one of the original Quake games.

TF2 can show you all kinds of different weapon proficiencies, tactics, flanking, team composition.

Also hats.

Single-player mode?

I mean, the only way you can really get better is to play. If you want multiplayer, Call of Duty Blacks Ops and Unreal Tournament (all of them) have bot matches, which help out a lot. Otherwise, if she's not gonna be a competitive-multiplayer frag-head, yeah, just play the game, I guess...?

Well, maybe Portal could actually work out, because that is getting use to controlling from a first-person perspective and aiming. In fact, you have to be pretty good with your reflexes to to execute some puzzles, and requires quick thinking on your feet, which is also a virtue in FPS. And finally, of course its in an environment where you won't get gunned down by bands of marauders, so its moving at her own pace. Portal won't teach her everything, but it will get the basics down for her pretty damn well.

I've gotta say, CoD4:MW is a pretty good idea, just a run-through of that game on easy->normal->hard makes you into a competent FPS player. I'd also suggest Half-Life 2, as that has a pretty decent difficulty scale.

Quake 3, Quake 4, Quake Live, UT99, UT2004, Warsow are good examples of FPS that rely on movement and aim.

[Edited]

After reading the topic properly (Sorry for not doing that the first time, I tend to do that).

I don't think a 'training FPS' is something you girlfriend will need. At the end of the day, the more you do something, the more you learn and improve. If she keeps playing the game that she wants to play, help out as much as you can and let her learn from experience. Don't shake your head or laugh at her efforts, encourage her and let her have fun :)

Note: This is just some random rant I started writing until I discovered it had no relevance to the thread, so I'll post it here because it seems a shame to delete it.

In short, my girlfriend would not be too appreciative if I suddenly started trying to teach her to dodge jump, do map jumps and tricks and to 1v1 pro players that have been playing for years in UT just to play Borderlands in co-op :D

As hard as it might be for you to watch, remember that strafing and shooting, something veterans might take for granted, is a skill that develops with time. Hell, first person shooters in general can be a nightmare for anyone who didn't start with them at a young age.

She is probably best off if she tries something like Halo, Half-life, or Bioshock on single player, as they all generally require a good combination of shooting and movement without being super twitchy. Once she gets the hang of them, simply have her increase difficulty or get her to then try UT, Quake, or Counterstrike. It will be a gradual process.

Again, if you're expecting her to jump through the air and switch to a sniper rifle and do a 360 degree turn no scope head shot, lower your standards and give her time. If you pressure her too much, she might decide that she doesn't want to deal with them.

I will be a Douche and say Doom, or Wolfenstien. but honestly something with a decent training section MW either of the 2 and probably do the first mission as well just to 'get your eye in'.

well so far most suggestions have been for online games. seems a bit stupid, seeing as there isn't a learning curve online, there's just be good, or die. and CSS is hard online. when i first started, i sucked, a lot. if it wasn't for my friends pestering me to keep at it, i would have quit. offline is a much better idea tbh, AI is much easier to kill, and if there are still problems then you can always lower the difficulty.

personally i started properly getting into FPS games when CoD4:MW came out. get her on an easy difficulty, and get her to play through the campaign. once that is done, go into a dead server with just you and her, and get her to experiment with different play styles. the game is pretty varied, so you can teach a few good things.

TL;DR if you go online, it won't end well. if she really is a beginner, play co-op with her, a small private 1v1 to teach her, or easy single player.

edit: also, this needs to be resaid for emphasis

MisterDyslexo:

Well, maybe Portal could actually work out, because that is getting use to controlling from a first-person perspective and aiming. In fact, you have to be pretty good with your reflexes to to execute some puzzles, and requires quick thinking on your feet, which is also a virtue in FPS. And finally, of course its in an environment where you won't get gunned down by bands of marauders, so its moving at her own pace. Portal won't teach her everything, but it will get the basics down for her pretty damn well.

a fantastic idea

I'd say, play Team Fortress 2 with AI bots, ramping up the difficulty as your experience increases, then try some beginner servers. TF2 has a friendly community, so there is no pressure on newbies.

TF2 and Counter-Strike.

Basically any Valve online FPS.

I agree with Portal. You can actually take your time over most of the beginning puzzles in order to get used to the controls in order to be ready for the later sections.

TF2. It's free, it's fast and it's fun. Plus that will give her the ability to get good at headshots...

YukoValis:
Ok first of all no I don't mean for real life, I know the vast difference between pulling a trigger and pushing a button in a game. Second I only really play PC anymore, so I need suggestions for that.

It boils down to this, my GF just got into FPS games. Borderlands in fact which doesn't really teach you how to shoot. Although competent enough to head shot, she all in all sucks when it comes to FPS. I want to find a game that might teach her more of the ropes. All I can think of is Call of Duty 4 MW with the training mission in the start.

I like to watch her play, but every time I shake my head and sigh when she doesn't strafe and just stands there getting shot down. So any games that can sort of help improve FPS gaming skills?

ARMA 2 - you learn good FPS skills or you die. You stand up, you die. You leave cover, you die. You miss a shot, you die. You try to melee an enemy, well see where that gets you.

The only problem is when transfer from say ARMA to COD and see people wading down the street, commando-ing people, soaking up fire and then regenerating health I just think "WTF is going on?" and go and find somewhere to quietly hide.

I'd recommend a bit of quake 4 for some easy on the eyes classic twitch based shooting. She'll learn the definition of strafe right quick!

Counter-strike is the best FPS trainer, put on bots and you can get some good experience with twitch shooting.

I disagree with people saying TF2, the new TF2 isn't really about skill in nonclan matches, really it breaks down to how much work you want to do.

CSS is my best suggestion.

Alright I'm gonna come into this right off the wall, and say anything.

I'm not going to suggest a game, because it's a skill, and skills need to be developed. Have her just keep playing what's fun, she'll get the hang of it.

Try not to run her off by forcing games on her to make her better so she doesn't disappoint you anymore :P Just let her go...after a while she'll get much better.

YukoValis:

i would not recommend Call of Dutys training missions(especially the mw series). it has scared some people i know off the fps genre since it can be difficult for inexperienced players to manage 'so much stuff at once' (grenades zerg rush).

strangely playing quake III: arena /quake live has improved my shooting skills since its more about reflexes and accuracy so i would recommend you to try it. and i can be fun to spawn almost instantly instead of waiting for another round to start.(instantgib is awesome

the only downside might be that she will start to play other games like quake but i guarantee you that she will be a killing machine after playing some quake for some time.
(and its free)

or even better let her play some old shooters. the ai is more slow and therefore its easier to practice.

I had a similar situation whith my fiancee a while back, she likes to watch me playing stuff online but I rarely let her have a go because.... well..... she sucks.

The solution? COD: Black Ops. There's a training mode against bots (I forget exactly what it's called - sorry), which worked like a charm. Now she's almost capable! She can even play online and kill people occasionally!

Serious Sam or Painkiller. Or Unreal Tournament 3.

Borderlands is alright too, she'd eventually get the hang of it. Truth be told, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone in the history of videogaming needing a training game before graduating to play a different title. Most games have tutorials for a reason.

Oh, and CoD...HAHAHAHAHAHA, good one, you almost had me there.

Try Serious Sam, Painkiller or Unreal Tournament (any) for a proper shooter.

I got my FPS legs under me with Metal Gear Solid Guns of the Patriots - started on super easy and worked my way through to Big Boss. It's paced thing, with story, and it gives you a lot of different gun options to learn with. My BF wanted me to play with him on FPS and I was made of suck and fail - the nice thing about this title was it had enough story (Lots of story and CS) to reward my efforts from the game - and not directly from him praising me and it doesn't have the "waves of enemies regenerate all the time if you aren't fast enough" factor that the COD Games have.

Djinn8:
Serious Sam. If that's not an FPS trainer I don't know what is.

Exactly that, it requires all the basics of FPS shooting and the charging enemies will make you learn them well, on the easiest setting it also gives you enough time.

And for the love of god don't let her go near any competitive online shooters.

counter-strike, if it weren't for this game i would be far below average in the fps field might have gotten a lot better if the internet cafe me and my friends went to to play it hadn't gone out of business

Painkiller requires all basic FPS skills and is difficult but fair. If you die, you weren't moving around enough.

Half-Life

Halo 3 is rather easy and all COD games (I think) and KZ3 have training levels at the start.

I'd have to say any of the quakes or unreal games

TF2 features complex strategies that throw a person off his training.

http://aim400kg.ru/en/reflex-training-for-gamers/

Hard to accomplish, I warn you. If you don't get results, don't expect them to grow. You can train your muscles for your twitch reflexes, but your reaction time depends with age - not training.

EDIT:
Wait, this link is correct - http://aim400kg.ru/en/

CS:S Gun Game in reverse order to develop quick precision and understanding of different weapon types in FPS games. Then some COD4/MW2 to adapt those skills to more modern games that use ADS. Some Q3/UT3/SS will be beneficial if you want to improve that style of FPS.

Chuck in some Doom 1/2 and then Quake 1-3, CS 1.6, Half-Life, BF1942, HL2 and the Episodes if you want her to understand how the genre has progressed. COD 1 and 2 could fit in there too.

YukoValis:

Counterstrike.

I'm gonna go with TF2 aswell on this one. It's free and there are plenty of weapons to play around and practice with. Also, it really is shit loads of fun.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked