What's wrong with RAGE?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Well enough through to formulate an opinion but not deep enough for conclusions, i am wondering what people think is wrong with rage?

Every weapon feels beautifully nuianced, the world is intriactely presented, characters are interesitingly designed and exquistately presented, acting is above par and the vehicles are a joy to drive; and though the narative feels generic the quality of the games components is pulling me through because the game is simply fun.

But something feels wrong, i don't know what it is but something is making rage feel average and not even the joy of Id's joyously fun new and classic weaponry is diverting me from that nagging feeling.

i personally am feeling i bought a collection of smaller games tied together by an aesthetic and a loose narative(but no less fun for it).

is any one else struggling with RAGE,

if so why?

I am, cause of the way it runs on my PC.

well what I can tell
old gamers that grew up with quake etc see this is as a retread of that dipped in HD graphics and sprinkled with extra features

I think (please don't kill me if i got it wrong)

also it's by id who's entire games lineup is brown x carrying 10 guns to the power of lotta varied enemies

I'm actually looking forward to it

edit: because it runs like foot on PCs

Something certainly does feel 'missing' when I'm playing RAGE, but I can't quite put my finger on it, and whatever it is isn't big enough to detract from my enjoyment of the game thus far, at the very least.

I wouldn't worry 'bout it if I were you.

Well. The problem in my opinion is, that it is very generic. There's zero innovation. It feels like a mix of bulletstorm, fallout and borderlands.
It's not a bad game. It just feels like I've already experienced most of it.

Whats missing is your soul. This game is beautiful and what Borderlands should have been.

I just bought the game today. It is one of the best looking and playing First Person Shooters I have ever played. I would go far as to say it's in my top 5.

I really have no problem with the game. Some might find it terrible because of how much space it consumes on the hard drive, how it won't work on PC, and it chucks a portion of the single player out of the window if you buy it used.

Other than that, the animation is fluid, the characters are quirky, and the gameplay is actually fun. Not something you see a lot these days

I don't think anything is wrong with it, it was just a buggy mess on release. I actually do think it looks fun. I'm just glad I bought Dark Souls instead.

Hamish Durie:
well what I can tell
old gamers that grew up with quake etc see this is as a retread of that dipped in HD graphics and sprinkled with extra features

I think (please don't kill me if i got it wrong)

You're wrong, trust me.

In terms of gameplay, this is as far from Quake as it can get.

To me, nothing. I'm having a ridiculous amount of fun playing, and in the end, isn't that all that matters?

CthulhuMessiah:
To me, nothing. I'm having a ridiculous amount of fun playing, and in the end, isn't that all that matters?

why yes that is one of the things that matter. Yet not all, but glad you're loving it.

TsunamiWombat:
Whats missing is your soul. This game is beautiful and what Borderlands should have been.

Agreed *sipping tea with you*

OT: From what I have heard... for PC Gamers, the game requires such a strong gamer card that normal gaming cards cannot support the quality alone. Here is actually a video about RAGE being glitchy due to the exact issue.

Besides that- it's just amazing. I've tried it out myself over a friend's yesterday, simply epic and interesting concepts of the characters around you being pretty well played out.

I've seen a surprising amount of trade ins on the game on day one... we had a midnight release and some folks brought it back later in the day because they hated it. Out of curiosity I asked what they didn't like, since I haven't played it yet, and no one could put their finger on it exactly, but I heard a lot of "I feel like I've already played this game several times".

I'm not real into FPS games, so it's no big loss for me, but I always feel badly when someone brings a game in they JUST BOUGHT because they hated it.

I just finished the game and generally enjoyed it, but it's so damn easy to nit-pick.

1) While the outdoor areas around Wellspring are lovely, the rest of the game is really brown, even in areas where they could get away with sprucing it up with color, like the Mutant Bash TV show.

2) Shooter levels are really linear. I mean stupid linear, where you're just snaking around what should be an open area because of rubble and locked doors. I would have loved to see more naturalistic level design with lots of nooks and crannies to explore. With one playthrough, I felt like I had entered every room... although I didn't find the graffiti room for the achievement. The collectibles I missed were probably in corners I didn't look at hard enough, not areas I failed to find.

3) Besides your own amusement, there's little reason to get that creative with kills. The shotgun with explosive rounds can take care of every enemy easily.

4) Money is way, way, way too easy to acquire. Five-finger filet is an easy skill-based way to earn money (just play through level 4), while the mutant hunter dice game pays out well enough that you can just tap the A button while reading a book or playing around on-line.

5) The one true boss fight is crap. Dodge attacks and wait to hit the glowy bits. Not dying requires no skill at all and hitting your targets requires only a very tiny amount.

6) Not enough tracks and racing modes.

7) No cool, stand-out level in the game. The whole thing is fun, but there's nothing truly special about any of it. The sewer DLC that you got for buying the game new is beyond a joke. You can see the great bulk of the level from the starting position and it's just a mutant turkey shoot. The most challenging level for me was the Jackal Camp, because it was the only place where I felt like I needed to make use of my distance weapons... other than that, I just pulled out the sniper rifle to get the headshot achievement and the crossbow just to mix it up a bit.

TsunamiWombat:

my soul, really?

yeah its beautiful thats pretty much what i said, but its beatiful like some variety of convuluted french pastry. i enjoy it but i know it's got little to no nutritional value.

i want my nutrients, in fact i need them.

I sorta want more feedback.
Like the floating score numbers you get in multiplayer, but in the single player.

It feels like playing an FPS MMO.

- Go to hub.
- Get quests(s).
- Go to overworld.
- Drive to quest area(s).
- Shoot through linear mission area.
- Drive back to hub.
- Turn in quests, get reward money.
- Repeat.

It's much like Borderlands, but even worse. Take out the looting, stat customization and include some stock-standard FPS action gameplay and you have Rage.

Speaking of gameplay, the basic mechanics are solid, some of the weapons are interesting and the animation is really cool. But it brings absolutely nothing new or interesting to the table. If you've played FPSs before then you've played Rage.

Oh yeah, and the story is absolute flavourless pap. The first warning bell went off when I stepped out of the starting room and was attacking within ten seconds. Then, before I had a chance to give a shit, I was instantly rescued by an NPC whose name I have already forgotten. All within a cutscene of course because screw interactivity, right? So there goes pacing out the window.

The second warning struck when my rescuer stood his arse behind a desk and started handing out quests. Welcome to the grind, son.

The third and final bell went off when the game introduced the main antagonists, the Authority. You're expected to fight these guys to the death, but given no reason beyond "Quest-giver #0076 told me to". They're called "The Authority" and they wear full-face helmets. So clearly they are evil and must be destroyed. Huh.

I wouldn't say the game is actively bad, but it's completely unmemorable. Just another face in the crowd, and since it's an FPS, we're talking one damn big crowd. Two months from now it will have completely vanished.

Caramel Frappe:
Snip

OT: From what I have heard... for PC Gamers, the game requires such a strong gamer card that normal gaming cards cannot support the quality alone.

Snip

Gaming card? Do you mean Graphics/Video card?.

Triple

OT: I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I do know that my interest in it slowly died down the closer it got to release. The only reason I can come up with is that I'm an unemployed high-school student who's more interested in other games, like Arkham City or Skyrim. FPS's aren't on my priority list, but I may pick Rage up in the bargain bin in the future. Maybe.

I haven't played it, I just watched a couple youtubers I'm subscribed to do a couple videos on it, and I just have a pre-disposed hatred towards the game i'm not sure why.
It just looks boring and over done.
(by the way I usually like these kind of games, loved fallout and I love boarderlands which is what this game gets compared to a lot so please don't say 'oh you're just not a fan of this kind of game')

Zero_ctrl:
Gaming card? Do you mean Graphics/Video card?.

..Oh! So that's what they actually call 'Gaming Cards'. Some people prefer calling them gaming like myself, because a graphics card applies to other sources too (sometimes confusing me on what I need for my PC to run games smoothly).

But, yes indeed it's a Graphics Card :} thank you for telling me really! Yet, not even normal graphic cards can handle RAGE. So advanced ones are required.

Caramel Frappe:

TsunamiWombat:

OT: From what I have heard... for PC Gamers, the game requires such a strong gamer card that normal gaming cards cannot support the quality alone. Here is actually a video about RAGE being glitchy due to the exact issue.

Actually, it was built for back-scaling, the game is designed to hit 60fps on non-new systems, and the problems are due to ATi (now AMD) drivers (big shocker there!) - Nvidia users don't have any problems.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing is exactly what you sacrifice when you go AMD. And those at fault like to point the blame at the developer of the game, and not their second rate FX drivers.

As for the game, I can see why you (the OP) have trouble putting what's wrong with it into words what with your spelling mistakes: the plot, the writing, the missions. All of them are just a wall of text and a required internet access away from being your typical free-2-play MMORPG.

"Fetch this, kill that, kill 100 of those"

And this they spent what? SEVEN YEARS creating? Do they pull their content designers from kindergarten?

I'll echo what some have already said. It feels a little like something is missing, driving and vehicle customisation is fun, combat is fun, the setting is allright, the story is virtually non-existant but really I didn't expect anything else. But I can't shake the feeling that something is missing. Perhaps it is the missing story after all, that makes various events and characters feel disconnected from each other.

Of course, there's the billion graphic issues since I have an AMD video card and I bought it on PC, but those are actually easily fixed if you bother to do a google search. Not that I'm saying you should have to, just that it's a problem that's easily bypassed.

Oh, you were talking about the game, I thought this might have been about you flippin' and raging through your town slicing poeple up with two katanas.
Sorry can't help you, haven't played the game.

Metalhandkerchief:
As for the game, I can see why you (the OP) have trouble putting what's wrong with it into words what with your spelling mistakes: the plot, the writing, the missions. All of them are just a wall of text and a required internet access away from being your typical free-2-play MMORPG.

Even though this isn't directed to me, I don't think a good debate or argument includes insulting the User you're replying towards. Just some advise, no big deal on my part since this is just the internet after all.

However I do agree that people use an escape-goat all the time like Users blaming a certain person/author/developer/company for issues that go down when it truth it reflects on us or deals with us as a whole being the problem. I will admit that I screw up here and there when something's not working... I would only question if the game did not warn me about certain mishaps if I am unprepared.

I think whats its missing is more of an RPG element.

Dont get me wrong. I love it the way it is, but maybe something more to do with weapon upgrades. Like, every level you get 1 point to spend on a weapon upgrade. And i dont mean like, "Bigger Mag" or "More Damage" upgrades. I mean REAL upgrades. Extended Barrels, Larger Bore, Better rifling, Adjusted sights, Custom Stock, Fire Selection Switches, New parts and even Cosmetic Changes.

Sure, its nice to have the ammo selection and the small amount of weapon upgrades you can purchase.... your guy can construct automated spider turrets, but apparently doesnt know how to make a better recoil buffer, or a better bore on the rifle?

Thats just my 2cents though. Feel free to disagree :)

Less the game itself, and more the other stuff surrounding it, as in, the awful decisions regarding the PC version's options screen and so forth. Sure the guns feel nice and so on, but I can't bring myself to buy a game that's been handled so poorly.

I will also say that there is nothing wrong with RAGE in my opinion. I got it today, and played it for many hours, I got hooked immediately. It's so much fun; I wanted a good new shooter that isn't BF or COD and so I got RAGE and I am not disappointed at all. The sewer missions that are cut out of the game for buying it used are not much, they are pretty short actually so not much will be missed from what I have seen. I use my ps3 for nothing but gaming so I had plenty of space for it. All in all, this game is a blast; literally.

It dosn't have the constant gunpaly that games like Quake and Doom had, to much traveling from point to point brings the all to brief burst of action down, when you do get to a fight its fun and classic ID but thats forgotten as soon as you leave that area and think "damn now i've got to travel back and get another quest" a mechanic that wasnt realy in other ID games

Yes in doom 3 there were sort of missions but they were introduced through PDA's and werent all needed to compete the game.

Its sad but the exploration and story of RAGE might have been better served if it had more of that type of gameplay. It wou;d have incresed the mystery of "hey I've just woken up 300 years in the future I wonder whats going on" rather than within 30 secs you meet the dude who Data dumps a chunk of the plot on you.

If I started by having to explore this ruined waste land to get a clue as to whats going on then the imersion would have been more, also constant hoards of bad guys trying to get there hand on an ARk person from the off would have felt more....well.....ID'y

I haven't played it myself, but looking at it gives me a bad taste in my mouth. It just looks generic, and the post-apocalypse setting certainly doesn't bring anything new to the table. It's not something I'd shell out for (unless yahtzee says it's good), but i suppose if I won a copy in a possum-juggling contest I wouldn't not play it.

TsunamiWombat:

Isn't Rage a 10 hour long linear shooter (apologies if I'm incorrect)? If so, that's the last thing Borderlands should have been.

I wouldnt know as I cant get it to run on my PC and am currently in the process of arguing with steam to give me a credit.

BLAHwhatever:
It feels like a mix of bulletstorm, fallout and borderlands.

+

Trixsy:
... and no one could put their finger on it exactly, but I heard a lot of "I feel like I've already played this game several times".

I've never played bulletstorm, fallout or borderlands so I guess I wouldn't feel the same. Except for it maybe just being generic. Can't tell since I haven't played it.

On Xbox? Nothing, its great. On PC? Its buggy as hell and feels like the code was pretty much copy and pasted from Xbox.

I'm playing it on 360. Runs at 60fps (So it is much noticeably smoother than just about any other action game. And I'll take smoothness over texture pop-ins any day of the week), is generally awesome...

Fuck everyone else, I have no problem with this game. Makes Borderlands look as average as it actually was.

Caramel Frappe:

TsunamiWombat:

Besides that- it's just amazing. I've tried it out myself over a friend's yesterday, simply epic and interesting concepts of the characters around you being pretty well played out.

Same my flat mate has it, it doesn't need an amazing card to run at full spec as he has a gtx460, which isn't that costly. They game is truly amazing, some of the art design is slight borderlands esc but with out the kinda cell shaded look. When I watch him play it the combat was soooo fluid and smooth with visceral impacts from the guns.

I think a large section of the hate are from angry PC gamers because they always expect a vastly superior experience. One thing that really got on my nerves was people slagging the game off for having one or two bad texture, and it's just kinda pointless really. They take the pictures out of context where you wouldn't normally notice them, which is why their left low quality.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked