RAGE - PC game still not working as of October 18th

Title says it all really, despite a steady stream of updates a great many people are still uncapable of playing their PC copies of RAGE. Though some have been able to properly access what they've paid for, a great many players are still being shafted 2 weeks after the games release, despite paying full price. That's not to say that there have been improvements since launch, but when entire mountainsides refuse to render or only 10% of a path renders as opposed to the previous 0% there's still not enough for a game to be considered "working".

Source? Setting personal experience aside (I just tested the game no less than 5 minutes ago) there's still a great deal of bitching going on all over the net, as there fucking should be.

With regards to the date, I'm Australian, so I live in the future.

What's it like in the future, got sex bots yet?

I am so very glad I didn't buy RAGE, so much for Id being reliable.

Did they implement a way to change graphical settings yet? I might get it when inevitably it goes on steam sale for 2 euro.

I'm still stuck on how to make it work on my HD4870. It's not the greatest of cards, but it fits inside the minimum requirements (I think) and it'd be pretty cool if the textures weren't all over the place and swapping themselves out constantly every half second. This isn't just texture pop-in, this is as if the video card didn't know which texture went on what thing.

lobster1077:
Did they implement a way to change graphical settings yet? I might get it when inevitably it goes on steam sale for 2 euro.

You need to make a config file, then you can change a lot. Look it up, it's here somewhere, and it did help a little.

OT: I got a major update and it seemed to work a bit but not nearly enough. Although it might just be my old 4550 :(

EHKOS:

lobster1077:

You need to make a config file, then you can change a lot. Look it up, it's here somewhere, and it did help a little.

OT: I got a major update and it seemed to work a bit but not nearly enough. Although it might just be my old 4550 :(

Too much effort for a semi-broken game, I shall go and play Kung-Fu Max Payne.

Yes! That almost rhymed! Victory!

Too bad for you PC gamers still having driver issues.

The game is great, the only FPS I have enjoyed in a long time. It is easily the best looking game in my library too.

lobster1077:

EHKOS:

lobster1077:

Too much effort for a semi-broken game, I shall go and play Kung-Fu Max Payne.

Yes! That almost rhymed! Victory!

All you have to do is copy/paste to an empty .txt file in the game directory.

fix-the-spade:
What's it like in the future, got sex bots yet?

I am so very glad I didn't buy RAGE, so much for Id being reliable.

I here they've got these funny things called time zones....

(if you were joking and aware of that, you may ignore this. If you are not and are an idiot, then yes I am mocking you)

poiumty:
I'm still stuck on how to make it work on my HD4870. It's not the greatest of cards, but it fits inside the minimum requirements (I think) and it'd be pretty cool if the textures weren't all over the place and swapping themselves out constantly every half second. This isn't just texture pop-in, this is as if the video card didn't know which texture went on what thing.

That's affecting pretty much all ATI/AMD cards. To my knowledge, there's no definitive fix yet. Best I can find are mixed results if you edit the game files.

lobster1077:

They've added some very limited options, You can now change the resolution, there is not anti-aliasing, though this is limited to x2, x4 and x8 and unfortunately doesn't tell the player which kind, there is v-sync which has a simple on or off function instead of the usual ones, there's a texture cache option which can only be toggled between high or low and an ansiotropic filter than can be set only to high or low.

So yes, they've implemented some ways to affect your graphics and performance since launch, but they're strangely limited.

Irridium:

poiumty:

That's affecting pretty much all ATI/AMD cards. To my knowledge, there's no definitive fix yet. Best I can find are mixed results if you edit the game files.

Mm. One of my friends has a 5870(or some such) and he says the newest driver fixed his problems. So it's not all ati cards that have that.

Still, good to see it's not an isolated issue. That means a potential fix is still possible.

Sober Thal:

The game is great, the only FPS I have enjoyed in a long time. It is easily the best looking game in my library too.

Honestly I do not believe drivers can be the reason for EVERY bug and problem in this game. Take a look at this link. Someone went on the Bethesda forums and posted every bug then encountered and decided to make a list of every problem people were having so id can fix them.
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1237649-what-we-need-id-to-patch-in-for-the-pc/
There's a freaking lot of problems there. Good to see you are enjoying the game but the rest of us who can't even get a barely functioning game they bought for $60 are screwed right now. I can't even get past 30 seconds after walking out of the ark since it makes me sick to do anything. The game is the worst looking thing I've played in a decade right now and the patch for it to up the graphics options and add v sync not only didn't work at all it actually started causing MASSIVE screen tearing all the time. For them to just keep blaming drivers is nothing more than a scapegoat at this point. They wanted to make Rage into a series and they already lost a massive amount of their PC audience with this. No way am I going to buy any more games from them period. If they can't even get their game working at all over 2 weeks after it came out then they don't deserve any more of my money. Wish I didn't buy this game in the first place now.

And my ISP (TPG) forwarded a copyright infringement warning from Zenimax, telling me not to download the SkidRow rip of it - a $90 game with no demo.

Wow, that's a shame because it really is an awesome game. It's the only fps I've enjoyed since Bioshock and fallout 3. And it looks fantastic on my dad's plasma TV and on mine to.

This went from infuriating to hilarious, and now it's crossed into straight-up depressing.

lobster1077:

wait...you cant even change graphics setting?

from my memory even the shittyest ports allow you to screw around with the settings, like red faction gurella

Vault101:

lobster1077:

from my memory even the shittyest ports allow you to screw around with the settings, like red faction gurella

They didn't implement video setting at release because idtech5 uses automatic adjustment system that will try to always keep your game at minimum 60 fps, reducing details/quality if Your PC can't handle it. It's just sucky technology implementation, not a console port issue.
Texture popping on the other hand was issue because of use megatextures. Usually a game has a single texture file per object, but RAGE uses one huge texture file for a whole lot of things, streaming them in by X,Y coordinates

They did however patched in some limited options in one of recent patches that let's you turn V-sync on/off and some minor detail along with texture cache, which supposedly should reduce texture popping issue.

Personally i had no issues with game at all. Worked for me from day 1, didn't even had to update drivers, but i'm guessing most issues come from ATI users, and well, ATI does have history of not fully compatible drivers.

All in all it's a case of "We wanted good but it worked out like usual".

Keava:

Vault101:

lobster1077:

They didn't implement video setting at release because idtech5 uses automatic adjustment system that will try to always keep your game at minimum 60 fps, reducing details/quality if Your PC can't handle it. It's just sucky technology implementation, not a console port issue.
Texture popping on the other hand was issue because of use megatextures. Usually a game has a single texture file per object, but RAGE uses one huge texture file for a whole lot of things, streaming them in by X,Y coordinates

They did however patched in some limited options in one of recent patches that let's you turn V-sync on/off and some minor detail along with texture cache, which supposedly should reduce texture popping issue.

Personally i had no issues with game at all. Worked for me from day 1, didn't even had to update drivers, but i'm guessing most issues come from ATI users, and well, ATI does have history of not fully compatible drivers.

All in all it's a case of "We wanted good but it worked out like usual".

ah fair enough, yeah if I ever did pick this up it was going to be for PS3...even though I hate aiming with gamepad

but still, is it me or are things like this just getting worse? :/

80Maxwell08:

Sober Thal:

Honestly I do not believe drivers can be the reason for EVERY bug and problem in this game. Take a look at this link. Someone went on the Bethesda forums and posted every bug then encountered and decided to make a list of every problem people were having so id can fix them.
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1237649-what-we-need-id-to-patch-in-for-the-pc/
There's a freaking lot of problems there. Good to see you are enjoying the game but the rest of us who can't even get a barely functioning game they bought for $60 are screwed right now. I can't even get past 30 seconds after walking out of the ark since it makes me sick to do anything. The game is the worst looking thing I've played in a decade right now and the patch for it to up the graphics options and add v sync not only didn't work at all it actually started causing MASSIVE screen tearing all the time. For them to just keep blaming drivers is nothing more than a scapegoat at this point. They wanted to make Rage into a series and they already lost a massive amount of their PC audience with this. No way am I going to buy any more games from them period. If they can't even get their game working at all over 2 weeks after it came out then they don't deserve any more of my money. Wish I didn't buy this game in the first place now.

even though I didnt get the game I feel youre pain, and the sad thing is they probably will make rage into a series and I wouldnt be surprised if they droped the PC port all together...becasue they can get away with it moneywise

just look at gears of war. no PC for number 2 and 3..so you know, If you wanted to get into the series but dont own an xbox..too bad, and it didnt even matter

this is part of the reason I got a console, (rather than a rig upgrade) I dont like to feel limited in my choices when it comes to games

Sober Thal:

It's not a problem with drivers, it's a problem with a poorly developed game. Dozens of games get released on the PC all the time and they work just fine. But not Rage. Rage is "special". Rage is the victim of "driver problems". It's by a major developer with resources to properly develop a game and it still failed to do what tons of C-list eastern european studios run from someone's garage do on a regular basis.

The PC port was an afterthought. It was poorly made and it's showing. It's a broken product that never should have been sold, but it was and the results are id's fault and noone else's. Not NVIDIA's, not ATI's, not the fault of the PC as a platform. It's simply a failure on the part of the developer.

Jandau:

Sober Thal:

It's not a problem with drivers, it's a problem with a poorly developed game. Dozens of games get released on the PC all the time and they work just fine. But not Rage. Rage is "special". Rage is the victim of "driver problems". It's by a major developer with resources to properly develop a game and it still failed to do what tons of C-list eastern european studios run from someone's garage do on a regular basis.

The PC port was an afterthought. It was poorly made and it's showing. It's a broken product that never should have been sold, but it was and the results are id's fault and noone else's. Not NVIDIA's, not ATI's, not the fault of the PC as a platform. It's simply a failure on the part of the developer.

If what you said was true for every PC it has run on, I'd be pretty pissed too.

Your own damn fault for buying anything with Bethesda on the box.

Sober Thal:

Jandau:

Sober Thal:

If what you said was true for every PC it has run on, I'd be pretty pissed too.

It doesn't have to be true for every PC, but if it's true for a sufficiently large number to be a problem, then my point stands. Sure, a lot of games might not work for a few people here and there. I've had the occasional graphical glitch myself (Space Marine would have black spots on the screen unless I ran Youtube in the background, it was wierd). But the sheer volume of problems people are getting with Rage points to shoddy development, bad testing, poor optimization and overall a rushed job.

I just can't believe they're blaming "drivers" so much. AAA dev studios spend time working with NVIDIA and/or ATI before launch, making sure that they get things working well. They even said they'd worked with ATI I believe... and yet somehow they still needed hotfix drivers the day of release to get it to work on just about any ATI card.

If they were to say "we half-assed the PC port, sorry", I'd at least gain some respect for them.

I hope they don't think about charging PC users for the first DLC they release.

So, I'm glad I bought Dead Island instead of this then? Ill get it when its cheaper, no point spending 30 Quid on a broken game :/

80Maxwell08:

This. I just had a look at that list on the forum its MASSIVE, good luck ID in getting it fixed, try to hold of the horde of pissed off gamers from decapitating you xD.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked