KOTOR on Windows 7 (help!)

Has anyone managed to get KOTOR running on Windows 7 64 bit? I got kotor 2 running but i wanna play the original. Every time i try to open it it looks like its gonna work for a few seconds and then nothing happens. If i run it through the launcher i get a picture of the Ebon Hawk which disappears after a few seconds and again, nothing happens.

Virtual Machine, go go go!

Seriously though, I'd run it on a Virtual PC...

No clue if it can actually work on 7.

Have you tried compatibility mode? That's usually the most reliable way of making old games work (it worked for Rome Total War!). If it's on Steam you might also try that magical 'verify integrity of game cache' button.

Zyst:
Virtual Machine, go go go!

Seriously though, I'd run it on a Virtual PC...

No clue if it can actually work on 7.

Well for that you'd need Win7 Professional and a spare Windows image (not to mention 1-2GB of extra RAM), so it may not be viable.

I'm running it on Win7 ...hold on theres a dll fix you need. i will get it you

I have a good computer. And yeah, of course I tried compatibility mode. Apparently, KOTOR is notoriously hard to get to work on windows 7, but not impossible.

Well it definitely runs on Windows 7 64 bit, becuase that's what I have. It's pretty old though, so any number of issues could crop up. One possibility is your screen resolution - there's no native support for widescreen in KOTOR so that might be an issue. I know I had to jump through a number of hoops to get it working saatisfactorily, I just can't remember what they are. I'm sure there are a number of dedicated forums for KOTOR that could help you out.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0F4FHJJH Here. Replace the DLL in the game folder.

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 put that under Graphics Options too to fix most random crashes

UniWS has a widescreen patch for KOTOR 1 and 2.

Versuvius:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0F4FHJJH Here. Replace the DLL in the game folder.

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 put that under Graphics Options too to fix most random crashes

if this is that ms32.dll thing I tried it, worked for kotor 2 but not Kotor 1. Ill try it again with this one.

I've gotten it running but I think I have the 32bit Win7 and I have the game on Steam.

You could try using Steam to launch it - add it to your games list as a non-Steam game. I have a problem launching Minecraft ordinarily - it takes dozens of attempts for the stars to align and actually open the thing. I added it to my Steam games list and it launches okay through that.

Runs fine for me, but I've seen a ddl fix for win7 exists, google it.

However the game crashed every once in a while. Open kotor.ini and change the setting Disable Vertex Objects or something like that.

Also I'd recommend you google the widescreen mod.

ohh shit it is on steam. Maybe i should just get it on there. Do you know if it'll work on 64 bit?

Huh. The only problem I had with KotOR on Win7 was easily fixed by updating my graphics driver. Guess I was just lucky.

You can always try DoSbox

I got it to work without having to do anything special, it's just that the resolution won't go to full screen.

I had some many issues trying to get that working, and in the end it was something as stupid as using the "run as administrator" command on the .exe rather than just normally starting it.

That seems far too simple considered the main threads like this I've seen, but hey, it worked for me and takes no effort to do, so give it a go.

Well, I got Neverwinter Nights working in Win7 x64, but admitedly, it was GoG's version wich most likely already has everything necessary to get it working. I also got Fallout 1 & 2 working in Win 7, but I had to run in in compatibility mode, disabling the desktop themes and such, same with Starcraft 1 and other DX6/7 games.

If you're seriously that desperate, just make another partition in your disk and install WinXP.

Or, a simple and quick Google search will answer your questions: http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=194296

Stormcloud23:
ohh shit it is on steam. Maybe i should just get it on there. Do you know if it'll work on 64 bit?

Any problem you have with the non-steam version you will have with the steam version. Steam doesn't add Windows7 compatablity.

I just tried launching it for the first time on my new PC. Got to the title screen fine.. I'd try and get further but I have an essay I should be writing up right now.
EDIT: I am running Win7, 64 bit. Also it's on Steam, but I doubt that's relevant. Usually Steam versions have more problems, not less.

I have mine on steam and it seems to work fine with my windows 7. Though that might just be dumb luck because it won't run on my OTHER windows 7 computer or my windows XP computer...perhaps it is just a picky game?

dagens24:

Stormcloud23:

Any problem you have with the non-steam version you will have with the steam version. Steam doesn't add Windows7 compatablity.

It may in theory be supposed to be the same version, but I've run whichever version is on Steam on Win7-64 with zero patching or config file editing with zero problems. Sometimes newer/older versions get sent to different download services (Sega, I'm looking at your shoddy Dreamcast ports...), or the DRM has an effect on things.

use steam, as in buy their copy its the only version that works for me

I have the D2D edition of KotOR 1 and the CD edition of KotOR 2 and have no problems at all with either of them. And I have a shit laptop.

KOTOR! :D
anyways, yes there is a way to run it, and yes win7 is a difficult os to work with great old games. this is why I stay with win'98! good luck!

Wow im surprised you got KOTOR 2 to work, ive played KOTOR on many diff computers and OS's but ive spend hours trying to get KOTOR 2 to work on an equal number of computer/OS's.

Stormcloud23:
Has anyone managed to get KOTOR running on Windows 7 64 bit? I got kotor 2 running but i wanna play the original. Every time i try to open it it looks like its gonna work for a few seconds and then nothing happens. If i run it through the launcher i get a picture of the Ebon Hawk which disappears after a few seconds and again, nothing happens.

There are some tips on the Steam forums to help you out. In particular, you should disable movies. Some people have gotten it to work by telling the program to only use one CPU core. Generally, the problem is that KOTOR relies on OpenGL, which has lost support over the years in favor of DirectD3, and as a result newer drivers are less likely to support it.

YawningAngel:

This is a joke, right? There is no DOS version of KOTOR...

I had the same problem, it turns out it tends to crash about 95% of the time w/e a movie begins, so when the opening starts, it just crashes instantly. i turned off the movies and it did the trick, it even skipped the opening credits where all the companies that made the game r shown, so it just goes right to the main menu.

Easy solution. Don't install it to the Program Files (x86) folder. Create a KOTOR folder in the C Drive, and install all the files to there.

Worked for me.

I picked it off of steam during a sale, and has worked just fine on my 64 win7 system. Might be easiest to just get it off of some digital store, where they'd have the newest possible version ready to go.

KotOR works fine for me on Windows 7. But I can't get Battlefront II to run on it.

Lukeje:

YawningAngel:

This is a joke, right? There is no DOS version of KOTOR...

Nope, some older games work under Dosbox because the way it handles files is different that in Win7/Vista.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
KotOR works fine for me on Windows 7. But I can't get Battlefront II to run on it.

have you tried disabling your cores?

it was either battlefront II or the force unleashed that i had to disable down to 2 cores and then it ran like a boss, but before then it ran like a pile of shit for 2 seconds.

OT: I got it to run perfectly, with the widescreen mod/patch and everything, so just keep trying/doing stuff and i'm sure you'll get it to work eventually, some games just take some odd work arounds..

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Had the same problem.

If you don't have a microphone in your pc's microphone jack, put something with the same plug in. I put a pair of headphones into my microphone jack and now battlefront 2 works fine.

Weirdest error I've ever run across.

I can get it to run, but it runs better in a VM. KTOR has problems with the resolutions we use as well. There are some options in the config file that may help you, but that will be trial and error.

Another:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Had the same problem.

If you don't have a microphone in your pc's microphone jack, put something with the same plug in. I put a pair of headphones into my microphone jack and now battlefront 2 works fine.

Weirdest error I've ever run across.

That's random as fuck but it's worth a shot I guess.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked