Will Assassin's Creed Revelations Suck?

I was chatting to a friend recently, and he was saying that he loved AC2 and B, but that Revelations was gonna suck, he loved Italy, hated the idea of bombcrafting, and said that the hookblade was stupid.

So Escapists, will it suck?

There is nothing about the info we have on it so far that suggests it wont be just as good as the previous games.

Your friend just likes to complain about shit. I mean honestly there isn't any way to know, the assasins creed games thus far have stayed really close to the gameplay of the previous ones, so to that end they can't really be a huge deal better OR worse, if he liked every other game, revelations shouldn't be much different.

All I know is that I've grown tired of AC eventhough I really liked the first 2 games.

Putting out a new game annually is gonna make this franchise go the way of Splinter Cell.

Casual Shinji:
All I know is that I've grown tired of AC eventhough I really liked the first 2 games.

Putting out a new game annually is gonna make this franchise go the way of Splinter Cell.

in fairness they did say right at the start before AC1 even came out that it was gonna be a LONG series of games, i do think the idea of the hook blade is kinda stupid but i wont know until ive played it but it is looking good

For me the games have just been getting better and better. I have no reason to assume that Revelations will not continue that trend.

No. Everything seen so far suggests the game will be another evolution forward. They are continually adding new mechanics, all of which look like they add a good deal to the game. I'm looking forward to seeing the conclusion of Alta´r's and Ezio's storylines.

have you seen the tower denfence mini game it looks sweet the game wont suck ubi has spent to much time crafting everything and the hookblade makes travel faster

The hookblade seems very optional and used mostly for improved movement which in all honesty the game was still sorely lacking in Brotherhood. As for Italy, it was nice but I, for one am happy for the change (a quite drastic one at that) in setting.

I have the same problem with the series, where with every iteration I think they're both flogging a dead horse and trying too hard to cram it with all manner of annoying new features (economy system, brotherhood, hookblade, assassin's dens). Thing is I loved each sequel despite and some times because of these added features.

In summation, I personally think I'll love the game as much as if not more than the others. We'll see soon enough.

llew:

Casual Shinji:

in fairness they did say right at the start before AC1 even came out that it was gonna be a LONG series of games, i do think the idea of the hook blade is kinda stupid but i wont know until ive played it but it is looking good

I know, and I felt some dread when I heard that. It was basically the start of over-franchising almost every new IP that came out. And I don't mind long running series, but putting out a new game every year is the swiftest way of rushing a franchise into its coffin.

You could tell that AC: Brotherhood was produced in a year, because it completely lacked any structure or pacing, and the gameworld itself was bland and unimaginative.

Okay, calling it right now:

The gameplay will be identical to the two preceding games with some minor additions that will make combat even easier.

The story will either leave us with more unanswered question or provide answers that make the original questions significantly less interesting. Judging by the fact that it's called "Revalations", I'm guessing it will be more of the latter.

Hopefully the change in setting will provide a bit of much needed flavour.

I'm not sure. I've never really liked Tower Defense games, and shoehorning one into Revelations may not have been the best idea IMO. I am, however, curious as to how the hookblade and bombcrafting turn out.

Everything I've seen so far has just made more excited for it. The new weapons look like they'll be a lot of fun and as much as I love Italy having another game set there will just make it boring. I'm also looking forward to Altair becoming more of a focus point again and maybe finally making sense of the weird endings from 2 and Brotherhood. Personally I felt like Brotherhood was a bit of a step back, mostly because the story was very simple, but I'm confident this game will be better.

I wasn't aware we could see the future....

I'd like to hire your friend as a psychic.

Probably, the first game was terrible. The second was great, Brotherhood just made the story so convoluted and ruined the initial allure of the series - being an assassin in different time periods. Now we have yet another game with Ezio and the series has become stale. Plus releasing yearly doesn't help, there is no room to spend time to craft a decent game when you're trying to push it out to gain sales.

I thought the gameplay of Brotherhood was a big step back, not quite to AC1 level, but the controls were very clunky, Ezio always seemed to draw his sword slowly enough that at least one enemy would get in a free hit in every swordfight, and in free running he seemed to have redeveloped the old problem of thinking that jumping 60 degrees to the left into a fatal fall was a much better idea of jumping 5 degrees right onto the nearby rooftop that you were aiming at. Also, many guards seemed to have full 360 vision and could see him from a mile away. Also, they acted as if they could communicate through telekinesis, so if one guard came after you, every guard in the city would join the hunt. If they fix those issues, and make the story and missions interesting, then I don't see why anything they've told us about the game so far should be a problem.

llew:

More stupid than a holdout pistol in the 15th century?

GundamSentinel:
For me the games have just been getting better and better. I have no reason to assume that Revelations will not continue that trend.

^
This. There's no way a company can spend so many years on a game that has a high reputation and allow the series to suck out of the blue. Some games blew their reputation like Duke Nukem: Forever, but that's because they took actually around 14 years to make so they were running late. Games are getting better in everything, especially graphics of course (some don't improve on graphics but for a reason usually.)

I have high expectations of this game, so I am honestly not worried. It'll rock, just you wait :}

Are we going to have a "What if/Will X suck?" thread for every single game now?

Other than that, I really don't care much. Only played the first, didn't like it, never felt like tackling the rest.

I don't know if its going to be worse but I have noticed that the games has been progressively getting easier. I guess it depends on how much you're expecting although you can't really expect much innovation with the release-a-game-every-year framework.(bad idea IMO)

You know what I thought would be cool if they implemented other templar assassins hunting you in singleplayer or better yet implement the dark souls Invade-other-players-worlds thing. Honestly what is the point of cool running parkour tricks when I'm plenty capable of killing everyone in the city when I get in trouble.

I am excited for a better online multiplayer experience though. It was fun in brotherhood but I had to wait 10 min, on average, to get into a game! that was horrible!

The real question for me is whether Contsantinople is going to provide a compelling setting or not. Gameplay-wise, I think the series has shown steady improvement over the last two iterations, but I found I found Rome just a tad less interesting than Venice.

Will it suck? I doubt that very much.

the game's looking better than the last 3 and giving closure to Ezio, I don't know if we're going back to Altair in AC 2012 or if a new assassin will be introduced but each game is always better than the last so I'm not worried

I do think that the yearly game is a bit too much which is why I'm not buying Revelations I'm taking a break from the series I'll wait for the 2013 version so that it feels fresh again

Hopefully not! The games have all improved on their predecessors so far, though the leap from 2 to Brotherhood was less impressive than from 1 to 2 (in that you got variation in missions...and less 'eavesdropping')

The graphics looks good, the weapons look ok and we finally get some closure on Al'Ta´r (well...hopefully)Constantinople is an interesting setting aaaaand after this game is done, even if it does suck, we get an all new assassin :)

So I think it should be good :)

It probably won't push the boat out very far from Screed Bro, so if you liked that and aren't going to get upset that it hasn't devoted all it's resources to innovation, it'll probably be pretty good.

Let me get my crystal ball....... yes... yes it will suck... massive balls if I am correct.

I'm tired of Assassin's Creed. I doubt they'll trail far from the formula they've used since the first game, that said, if anyone enjoyed the first three main games, then this won't be any different.

The points that your friend makes are pretty stupid. Area, an item, and item making are the least of the worries.

If you like the rest of the series, you'll probably like this. I'm not getting this until it's $10(USD).

It'll probably just be more of the same. Good game, but in need of some variety spice.

I doubt that. The series is a very safe choice. That can equal "boring" to some people, as the series is more about micro-changes now than the leap from the first game to the second. But I enjoy the core gameplay. I also enjoy the story (or at least the ancestor portions. Desmond and friends have yet to engage me. I did enjoy Desmond's platforming at the end of Brotherhood, though).

And it isn't as if we're seeing a whole bunch of open world-action-adventure-platforming-stealth games from other developers, so fatigue isn't close to setting in for me. What I want to see is more challenges like the Assassin Tombs and Romulus Lairs. Those are my favorite parts of the games.

Scarecrow1001:
I was going through my old posts, and found this.
It's funny, because it did suck!

Hey, I enjoyed it, was it as good as Brotherhood? No, but not being as good as another game doesn't make it not good entirely.
Really liked how they kept flashing back to Altair and kinda "Retcon'ing" his stupid American Accent from the first game as well as showing how badass he was in the years since and wrapping up Ezio's role in the series.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked