Dark souls ending * spoilers*

So i just finished Dark souls , and i was wondering what you guys who also finished the game thought about the ending? I got the "good" ending mostly because i didn't know the game was going to end after i touched the bonfire. But thing is , i found the ending to be a little ( a lot) disapointing? I mean thats it? I went through all that and that's all i get ? Now i love the game and am currently going through my new game + and i know the game is more about the journey than the destination but i was expecting a more epic last boss fight and at the very least a cutscene or cinematic at the end explaining something at least to see what i accomplished ( and that 30 seconds cutscenr where i catch on fire doesn't count). I understand what it meant , it's basically a you win hero ending but i can't help but feel disapointed . Maybe it's a tribute to old school games where you get a " congratulations you saved the world " scene at the end but still . Why couldn't they make the ending more fulfiling?

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Linking the fire is basically what Gwyn did himself so long ago. Once you do it you give people another chance by creating a new age of fire. Yet at the same time you die as a result somebody else will try to battle you and history repeats itself.

I understand why it feels underwhelming, but I really like the rigor or relentlessness of it, if you will. Both endings are quite brief, but they both fit the way the game goes about telling its story in the first place. I think I would enjoy a lengthier cinematic exactly once and then decide that it's out-of-place in such tough, lonely game.

kyogen:
I understand why it feels underwhelming, but I really like the rigor or relentlessness of it, if you will. Both endings are quite brief, but they both fit the way the game goes about telling its story in the first place. I think I would enjoy a lengthier cinematic exactly once and then decide that it's out-of-place in such tough, lonely game.

Yet it had a great opening cinematic. Would at least have thought that since it had a opening cinematic , it could have had a proper closing . But i do understand what you mean and it does fit in a sense, i mean if i was really the character i was roleplaying , i wouldn't see what happened after i burned and since the opening is part of history , i guess me knowing a bit about the world i'm in is only natural.

krazykidd:
Yet it had a great opening cinematic. Would at least have thought that since it had a opening cinematic , it could have had a proper closing . But i do understand what you mean and it does fit in a sense, i mean if i was really the character i was roleplaying , i wouldn't see what happened after i burned and since the opening is part of history , i guess me knowing a bit about the world i'm in is only natural.

Agreed. It's a similar pattern to Demon's Souls--lengthier opening, shorter closing cinematic. Demon's Souls might be a bit better or at least offer a bit more closure in that regard, but I think the Dark Souls endings are still effective. The lack of a narrator's voice over is probably what makes them as unsettling as they are.

actually the good ending is the bad one, coz thats wasnt your real purpose in the game, to see a better explanation u need to join the darkwraith and talk to Kaathe, also the pendant as something to do but nobody knows yet how to make it work.

I haven't finished Dark Souls yet, and I'm not all that interested in the story anyway.

But I'd just like to say... Fuck those black knight guys. Fuck them.

It reminded me of older games.
"Man, this game is hard! The ending had better be worth it."
*After Ending*
"Well, that sucked."

krazykidd:
So i just finished Dark souls , and i was wondering what you guys who also finished the game thought about the ending? I got the "good" ending mostly because i didn't know the game was going to end after i touched the bonfire. But thing is , i found the ending to be a little ( a lot) disapointing? I mean thats it? I went through all that and that's all i get ? Now i love the game and am currently going through my new game + and i know the game is more about the journey than the destination but i was expecting a more epic last boss fight and at the very least a cutscene or cinematic at the end explaining something at least to see what i accomplished ( and that 30 seconds cutscenr where i catch on fire doesn't count). I understand what it meant , it's basically a you win hero ending but i can't help but feel disapointed . Maybe it's a tribute to old school games where you get a " congratulations you saved the world " scene at the end but still . Why couldn't they make the ending more fulfiling?

How did you like the music during the Gwyn boss fight?

I thought it was sublime.

TheFPSisDead:

krazykidd:

Oh yeah , the music was great . It gave a sense of epicness and sadness. One of my favorite ending boss theme is " the battle for eveyones souls" in persona 3 , epic boss fight rock musi with a twist to get you pumped. In this game however the music was great , but the feel was different , it wasn't so much to get you pumped , but to give you a sense of accomplishment, the slow harmonious music was giving me a kind of relief from the hardship and stuggle it took to get to this point . As if the game was saying " you have done well to reach this point, give it your all here and you will be relieved from your hardship, son i am proud". The sense of sadness in the music was actually embellished the ending ( more so the good ending , but it could be applied to the bad ending if you try hard enough). I actually ended up feeling bad for gwyn , the music didn't really make me feel that he was a bad guy ,i felt he was more of a prisoner of fate due to his failure to light the last bonfire ( from what i understood from the story, i could be wrong ).

All in all the music gave a lot of atmosphere in this fights and for the theme of the entire game in my opinion.

Whuddya think?

That ending makes sense though. Sure it's almost non-existent but all you essentially accomplished was restarting the cycle all over again.

I to felt it was a little un-epic. Mainly cause somehow, I missed almost everything story related or screwed it up, so I had no idea who the end guy was or why I was fighting him or what the ending meant. Apparently the Worm guy tells you? Maybe? I don't know, cause I rolled down the hole while he was sleeping and when i came back up the fucker had glitched, called me not the chosen one and dissappeared forever.

So yeah. The ending was underwhelming for me too. But ultimately I saw it as "not about the end, but about the journey to get there". And what a journey that was. The fact that I actually managed to finish it is enough for me.

krazykidd:

TheFPSisDead:

krazykidd:

Oh yeah , the music was great . It gave a sense of epicness and sadness. One of my favorite ending boss theme is " the battle for eveyones souls" in persona 3 , epic boss fight rock musi with a twist to get you pumped. In this game however the music was great , but the feel was different , it wasn't so much to get you pumped , but to give you a sense of accomplishment, the slow harmonious music was giving me a kind of relief from the hardship and stuggle it took to get to this point . As if the game was saying " you have done well to reach this point, give it your all here and you will be relieved from your hardship, son i am proud". The sense of sadness in the music was actually embellished the ending ( more so the good ending , but it could be applied to the bad ending if you try hard enough). I actually ended up feeling bad for gwyn , the music didn't really make me feel that he was a bad guy ,i felt he was more of a prisoner of fate due to his failure to light the last bonfire ( from what i understood from the story, i could be wrong ).

All in all the music gave a lot of atmosphere in this fights and for the theme of the entire game in my opinion.

Whuddya think?

I agree completely. To be honest, it almost gives you a feeling of, "I don't know if i want to kill this guy." But you've come so far, you feel like you have no choice, which i guess you don't if you want to finish the game. I kind of felt bad though, because i killed both of Gwyns children, (the sunlight princess and Dark Sun Gwyndolin). But yeah, i thought the score was really fitting and it really surprised me, expecting some epic and violent sounding orchestral piece, instead of a completely sublime and haunting piano piece. Hahah anyways.

Persona 3 is my favorite JRPG of all time, i actually have the soundtrack on my iPod.
Battle for Everyone's Souls is amazing.

It should have finished this way

Either ending isn't really much. It was the same way with Demon's Souls. These games are really light on story. Really the excellent gameplay is the actual story of the game. At least for me.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked