Attention!!! Xbox 360 Skyrim users whose game doesn't work!!

I just got Skyrim for 360. It wouldn't run or even read the the disk. I paniced thinking my xbox was broken, but it wasn't.
If this happens DO A FIRMWARE UPDATE! Just hook up to Xbox live and it should update. I hadn't updated it in months, but now Skyrim works fine.
This applies at least to the PAL versions in New Zealand and likely Australia. Not sure about everyone else.

OMFG, you scared the shit out of me!!

Thanks man, I would be devestated if I couldn't play it tonight,

...soooo what if you can't connect to Xbox Live? Oh I can't wait to see how many of the people who strictly play offline come forward with complaints. I hope that rumor about discs having no actual info on them doesn't turn out to have been true.

so basically, the game won't run if you don't update your console to run the game?
not really thread-worthy.

TrilbyWill:
so basically, the game won't run if you don't update your console to run the game?

this.

Also, I live in America, so I'm cooler then OP by default.

/sarcastic asshole.

Shoggoth2588:
...soooo what if you can't connect to Xbox Live? Oh I can't wait to see how many of the people who strictly play offline come forward with complaints. I hope that rumor about discs having no actual info on them doesn't turn out to have been true.

...=x My Xbox can't be hooked up to the internet because it's the super old model and I can't be assed to buy a $50 receiver so that it can connect to the internet so I can pay another $50 for Live.

Greaaaaaat.

Shoggoth2588:

On the PC it is true, on the consoles no way that could be true. And the firmware update does make sense and you dont need to connect to Xbox Live, you can download it from the PC and then install it manualy on the Xbox

Kopikatsu:

Shoggoth2588:

...=x My Xbox can't be hooked up to the internet because it's the super old model and I can't be assed to buy a $50 receiver so that it can connect to the internet so I can pay another $50 for Live.

Greaaaaaat.

You can still download the update from the internet and install it manually, this is no big deal.

So if you don't play online or have your 360 set up online... you're screwed.

You are all fucked if you can't hook your console up to the internet. Most triple A titles now use the triple layer dvd format on the 360. There was an update awhile back to support the new disc format. My old ass xbox(only 3 years) has been up to date but it still has trouble reading a select few newer titles(triple layer format) but it does read them after a few tries.

Kopikatsu:

Shoggoth2588:

Greaaaaaat.

can't you just download the firmware on pc, store it in usb and plug that into xbox?

you can get patches and stuff for free off of live... you just need to connect. Silver membership costs NOTHING. And given that the old 360 has an ethernet port, you should have no problems patching if you're able to post here.

Jesus Christ this panicked me! Luckily I have an xBox Slim so the funky in-built wi-fi thingy is always connected to live.
My god... Only 9 hours and 20 minutes left to wait...

As people have said, it's free. It just says an update is available. The trouble is, if you put in Skyrim without it, it doesn't even say you need to update. It just refuses to read the disk. I almost had a heart attack

mysecondlife:

Kopikatsu:

Shoggoth2588:

Greaaaaaat.

can't you just download the firmware on pc, store it in usb and plug that into xbox?

Well they had to update the firmware for the xbox 360 to allow the use of USB drives, so if they never updated that firmware either, they could be very screwed.

Of course they could always just buy a 50 foot ethernet cable, use it once to connect the xbox to the internet and download all the updates, and then return the cable.

josemlopes:

You can still download the update from the internet and install it manually, this is no big deal.

It is if you don't have a computer or access to the internet. :L

I'd say it's a very big deal. :L

Dirty Hipsters:

Well they had to update the firmware for the xbox 360 to allow the use of USB drives, so if they never updated that firmware either, they could be very screwed.

Of course they could always just buy a 50 foot ethernet cable, use it once to connect the xbox to the internet and download all the updates, and then return the cable.

Actually, the 360 has been able to read USB drives for updates for a very long time. That update only made it so they could be used as a source of data storage. :P

But, the vast majority of games already have that update on them, so unless those people have not gotten any other new games in quite a while, they should be fine. :P

LegendaryGamer0:

josemlopes:

What about a libraby, or a friend? If I lived in a place with no access whatsoever to the internet then I probably wouldnt even have an Xbox and I wouldnt even know what Skyrim was, even some people with internet dont know what Skyrim is.

This just isnt a big deal.

josemlopes:

LegendaryGamer0:

josemlopes:

What about a libraby, or a friend? If I lived in a place with no access whatsoever to the internet then I probably wouldnt even have an Xbox and I wouldnt even know what Skyrim was, even some people with internet dont know what Skyrim is.

You are telling this to a guy who did not have his 360 hooked up to the internet for 2 years when he got it. Also, you imply everyone has a flash drive.
And that the internet is required for all game knowledge.

I'd say it's a pretty big deal when there are quite a few people out there with no/dial-up/highly unstable internet or no/little access to a computer and people that don't have money to throw on a flash drive.

This is a much larger issue than you think. :L

This would be a very big deal before now for some people, I would imagine. There was a firmware update a while ago that allowed the disc drive to read a higher-capacity format. Any game on those discs is going to have that problem if you haven't updated.

LegendaryGamer0:

josemlopes:

LegendaryGamer0:

You are telling this to a guy who did not have his 360 hooked up to the internet for 2 years when he got it. Also, you imply everyone has a flash drive.

I'd say it's a pretty big deal when there are quite a few people out there with no/dial-up/highly unstable internet or no/little access to a computer and people that don't have money to throw on a flash drive.

Its an issue that exist for a shit load of time, Forza 4 recently did this, so did Halo Reach I think, since the Xbox is constantly updated this is just part of the process, and it isnt like they could fix it if they wanted, its just how it works. Also, if the person has money to buy a game he can buy a cheap ass flash drive, where I live 5€=5Gb, enough for the job.

I know that it is an issue but it isnt that much of a big deal. (We are finishing all our posts with a "Its a big deal" "No its not" "It is" "No its not" lol)

josemlopes:

LegendaryGamer0:

josemlopes:

Its an issue that exist for a shit load of time, Forza 4 recently did this, so did Halo Reach I think, since the Xbox is constantly updated this is just part of the process, and it isnt like they could fix it if they wanted, its just how it works. Also, if the person has money to buy a game he can buy a cheap ass flash drive, where I live 5€=5Gb, enough for the job.

I know that it is an issue but it isnt that much of a big deal. (We are finishing all our posts with a "Its a big deal" "No its not" "It is" "No its not" lol)

You again leave out the factor of lack of internet access. :L

This actually heavily related to the utterly stupid decision of Microsoft to not use HD DVD as the 360s media format, instead going with DVD.

It is, to continue the theme, a fairly big deal. :L

TrilbyWill:

It is for those without a means to connect to Xbox live ^^

LegendaryGamer0:

If you've got the money to chuck 40 quid (or the USD equivalent) at a new game, you've probably got enough to get a cheap 10 USB (which going by prices at the moment will get you round about 8GB). ;p

EDIT: Just noticed this has already been said, but to answer the second bit: Libraries tend to offer free (or at least very cheap) access to the internet in most places.

jyork89:
I just got Skyrim for 360. It wouldn't run or even read the the disk. I paniced thinking my xbox was broken, but it wasn't.
If this happens DO A FIRMWARE UPDATE! Just hook up to Xbox live and it should update. I hadn't updated it in months, but now Skyrim works fine.
This applies at least to the PAL versions in New Zealand and likely Australia. Not sure about everyone else.

You do know that this is quite normal right?
Alot of games these days require the firmware update.

Don't fret :P

josemlopes:

LegendaryGamer0:

josemlopes:

But it is a convenience issue, people having to work to get something they paid 40 quid or 60 dollars for already just to frickin get it to work, I'd be seriously pissed off if I had to trek over to the library or internet cafe in the nearest town (Since I live in the middle of nowhere) to get an update they could have maybe put on the disc in the first place...

Thank god for PC's.....

Cheeseman Muncher:

LegendaryGamer0:

If you've got the money to chuck 40 quid (or the USD equivalent) at a new game, you've probably got enough to get a cheap 10 USB (which going by prices at the moment will get you round about 8GB). ;p

EDIT: Just noticed this has already been said, but to answer the second bit: Libraries tend to offer free (or at least very cheap) access to the internet in most places.

Eehh, not really. :L
The situation of buying a game with very tight budget to buy anything else is very common. :L

EDIT: Speaking of being beaten to the punch... XDXDXD

I jus got skyrim it didnt work so i cam here an found all this info so i went an got an ethernet cable and connected to xbox live an it installed a bunch of updates automatically. but skyrim still does the same thing it did when i first got it. it loads up say's play game but wont read game details.

By the way i only have free xbox live account i dont know if that matters or not

when i try to play it jus goes to black screen for a few secs an then back to xbox startup menu.

if anyone knows something i could do to fix it please tell me

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked