Skyrim PC install....

Why isn't it installing from the DVD? It's trying to download the game on Steam. I'm new to this whole steam thing so can somebody help me out?

Could you............ elaborate on the process and where you're up to?

I almost forgot, you need to set up a Steam account and install Steam to validate your game before install with Steam as Bethesda chose Steamworks for Skyrim's DRM. You don't really need Steam one you've validated but keep it around just in case.

I would wager that it isn't actually trying to get the whole game from Steam, but rather that Bethsoft chose Steam as their DRM, and it has to be activated there and tied to an account. Download Steam, make yourself an account and enjoy the game!

Thanks for the prompt responses. The issue was the steam servers were busy when it tried to authenticate the game so it started to download the files instead of installing them from the disk. The solution is as follows:

Delete local files for Skyrim
Close Steam
Open run and type: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.

Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Just in case anybody else runs into this.

You, Aftohsix, are my hero ^_^

Love u big time brovis! Talkin to u aftohsix! saved my life BIG time man!

This is still giving me trouble. I can connect to the internet to install, but the PC I'll be playing this on will not have an internet connection most of the time I'll be wanting to play Skyrim. Trying Steam's instructions for a 'local installation' is still making me go through their internet service just to start the game. There is no way I'll be able to do it that way. How do I get a local installation so I can play without needing this crazy steam nonsense every time I want to play?

I opened run and typed: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -install E:

Windows cannot find it. Please help I'm going insane!

Euansmith:
I opened run and typed: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -install E:

Windows cannot find it. Please help I'm going insane!

Have you replaced E: with the name of your CD drive?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -install E:
Is this the EXACT way to type it in? My computer can't find it.

Euansmith:

If that's where steam is installed and that is the drive letter you are trying to install from, then yes.

Euansmith:

Two things could be going on here.

#1 You have a 32 bit machine. Therefore your Program files will be called "C:\Program Files\ and not C:\Program Files (x86)\

#2 Most computers DVD drives default to D: and not E: try replacing the E with D.

i got this game as a gift from my wife in singapore for xmas but it says its not eligible for activation in my country?

U guys know any way around this issue? I tried using the account of my bro in law who lives in singapore but somehow steam detects that i am not actually in singapore.

Will it work if he downloads a version but enters the legal activation key and then i try to play the game from my end through his account?

hope u guys can help me out!

ray

Ahh, it's just this bullshit where we are fast not being given a choice what so ever. There was a time where if you wanted the game on Steam, then download it on Steam. If you wanted the game to not be associated with Steam at all, buy a retail version. Now retail or not, it is all through fucking Steam, and it is becoming quite annoying.

Well, at least I didn't have to play The Witcher 2 through Steam, so that is something I guess.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked