Let's Play: Pokemon Ruby Post Game 4: In which we face off against evil

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 24 NEXT

Let's Play: Pokemon Ruby

Pokemon Ruby was a game released for the Gameboy Advanced back in 2003. It brought with it the third generation of pokemon. The game was a success, as it, along with Pokemon Saphire, sold 13 million copies (Thank you Wikipedia). It holds a 82% on Metacritic, and a 84% on GameRankings. Despite being successful, I don't think many fans of the series talk about it as much as the others. As of the writing of this LP, the fifth generation has been out for 7 months. I purchased Pokemon Black... and then gave it to my cousin after I got bored about 7 hours or so in. I felt like it had lost some of its charm. I went back and replayed Ruby and had a blast. So I thought it would be good to LP it.

Who are you?
My name is CM156, but if you like, you may call me Caleb. I'm an internet satirist and an enthusiast of web-based media. I grew up with pokemon.

When did you get this game?
When I was a lad, way back in the year 2003, I got the game as a birthday present.

Have you ever done a LP before?
Nope. This will be my first attempt. Wish me luck! If I do well here, I'll probably LP Neverwinter Nights 2, and the two expansion packs.

How often will you update?
As often as I can. I'm a student, and my schedule can be a bit wonky at times. Sometimes I'm free, others, not so much. The actual playing of the game doesn't take much time, as I can speed up the game by a factor of 10.

Why are the pokemon a bit of a higher level than they should be?
Depending on how much is needed, I'll grind a bit off camera. That 10X speed thing also helps

What input do we get to have?
Besides naming the character, you can make recommendations on anything related to the pokemon or what I do with the game. If you think we should capture a specific pokemon, or learn a certain move, let me know. There will also be certain points where I ask what we should do. That will be done by popular vote.

Will you be doing breeding?
Likely no.

Will you use cheat codes
Likely, no. I will not.

What will be the tone of the LP? Will you be covering the story much?
The tone will be more informative/humorous. I'll be mentioning the story, what there is of it. Pokemon games, have never been, in my opinion, the best "story" games.

What is your favorite pokemon game?
Pokemon Silver. I played it for over 200 hours

Why are you LPing this game then rather than silver?
Because silver hasn't aged well, and the graphichs are... not so great.

Will you be doing a Nuzlocke challenge?
No. I don't really like doing those. Plus, I feel as though it cuts out quite a bit of the game. So no. I won't be going by the Nuzlocke rules.

Your spelling is bad
That's not a question. But yeah. It is. Dyslexia and all that. I'll try the best I can, but please forgive my mistakes.

I think you could improve in the following areas...
Then please, tell me. If I can get better, by all means, tell me what I should do. Comments and critique are always welcome.

Your first few updates suck!
Yes, yes they do. But don't worry, they get better.

So here we are. Here's what I want from everyone
Gender for our main character: (Most for either wins)
A name for our main character(The one I like most)
What starter to pick: (Again, most for any wins)
What to name that starter (See Name)

A small rule here though. I'll name the pokemon anything... except something crude or crass. Yes, yes, I know we all named a Metapod "Penis" or something along those lines, and then snickered when it used "harden". But come on. Some of us are adults here. I don't mind clever things, but nothing too profane, m'kay?

So again, Gender, name, starter pokemon, and starter name. I'll give you 24 hours to vote and then tally the results. I'll give more time if not a lot of people get involved. I'll tell you when the voting is closed. After that, I'll try to get an update out.

UPDATE
Name: Raven
Pokemon: Mudkip
Pokemon Name: Liek

NOTE: When I'm talking like this, I'm talking in character for Raven
When I'm talking like this, I'm the narrator or myself, making comments about the game.
UPDATE: I stopped doing this because I didn't find it funny anymore.
UPDATES:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Mini-updates

Mini Update 1
Mini Update 2.0
Mini-Update 2.5
Mini-UPdate 3
Mini-Update 3.5
Mini Update 4
Mini-Update 4.5
Mini Update 5
Mini Update 6
Mini Update 7

Post Game
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4

I'm really liking that people are starting to do LP's on this forum; Adds another reason to come back to it. I really don't blame you on the Nuzlocke challenge: i attribute it to my vietnam flashbacks...

Sarcastic_Applause:
I'm really liking that people are starting to do LP's on this forum; Adds another reason to come back to it. I really don't blame you on the Nuzlocke challenge: i attribute it to my vietnam flashbacks...

I feel Nuzlocke takes some of the fun out of the game, to be honest. You lose a pokemon forever due to a small mistake. Oh well.

That, and I'm really not super good at pokemon, good enough to do a Nuzlocke.

Alright. Lacking suggestions I'm going to go with this:

Trainer Gender: Female
Name: Kat

Still, you've about 12 more hours to give me another name if you'd like that.

After the last time I played Pokemon Ruby, I was forever banned from naming anything in a video game ever again. The potential for abuse is simply too great. But, if one insists...

(Also, I had a box of inbred mice (Azurrils, I think) organized by generation. True story.)

Given a lack of originality, I recommend the Fire Chicken of Kickliness as your starter, and that you name it Le Punt (or Norris, if you must), assuming you get a male. I...dunno what you'd call a female flaming kickboxing chicken.

For the character name: Raven, if female. Chase, if male.
If you're going to take over the world Pokemon League, a douchey name is a must.

Atmos Duality:

(Also, I had a box of inbred mice (Azurrils, I think) organized by generation. True story.)

You gotta be kidding me....

I DID THE EXACT FREAKING THING! No joke.

Raven is a good name, I think It sounds rather pretentious. By the way, which do you vote for: male or female?

CM156:

The bolded lines are good.

Although, I'd go with a something a little... unique for the female name.

How about Dee Zaster?

CM156:

Raven is a good name, I think It sounds rather pretentious. By the way, which do you vote for: male or female?

Female.
Perhaps the world will end in a fiery volcanic cataclysm because some crazy lady had raging PMS the day she decided to walk her pet Groundon.

Also, did you forget to involve Sea Incense when you were breeding your mice?
I just thought it had a low percentage or such back when I first played Ruby. I didn't know you couldn't get Azurills from breeding unless you had Sea Incense equipped until I was something like 9 generations into the inbreeding.

make your character a guy and name him fuck me

neonsword13-ops:

CM156:

The bolded lines are good.

Although, I'd go with a something a little... unique for the female name.

How about Dee Zaster?

7 is the maximum number of characters for a character name. I like it, but it doesn't fit.

Atmos Duality:

CM156:

Female.
Perhaps the world will end in a fiery volcanic cataclysm because some crazy lady had raging PMS the day she decided to walk her pet Groundon.

I just thought it had a low percentage or such back when I first played Ruby. I didn't know you couldn't get Azurills from breeding unless you had Sea Incense equipped until I was something like 9 generations into the inbreeding.

You know, I think I looked up a guide. Back in silver, I kept a ledger of Pokemon I bread. All the inbreeding got a little creepy. Just a little.

themutantlizard:

Sorry, but that's against one of the rules.

CM156:

You know, I think I looked up a guide. Back in silver, I kept a ledger of Pokemon I bread. All the inbreeding got a little creepy. Just a little.

Oooh...Pokemon Pedigrees.
Now that is pretentious.

Atmos Duality:

CM156:

Now that is pretentious.

If I recall, I bread a pokemon with its own mother, who was also his half sister.

It reminds me of when I played Viva Piņata. I didn't even BOTHER keeping track there.

CM156:

neonsword13-ops:

How about Dee Zaster?

I like it, but it doesn't fit.

The child weilding a hair brush does Not. Approve.

Ahh, lets see...

Ana Sasin. That's good, right?

neonsword13-ops:

CM156:

neonsword13-ops:

How about Dee Zaster?

I like it, but it doesn't fit.

The child weilding a hair brush does Not. Approve.

Ahh, lets see...

Ana Sasin. That's good, right?

With a space, that's 9 letters. Which is more than 7, last I checked.

CM156:

Atmos Duality:

CM156:

Now that is pretentious.

If I recall, I bread a pokemon with its own mother, who was also his half sister.

It reminds me of when I played Viva Piņata. I didn't even BOTHER keeping track there.

That reminds me of this....

OT: This seems pretty neat, I can't give a better suggestion than your idea for a starter xD

As for an actual name, I'd go with the Yahtzee Crosshaw Tradition and name him/her something like "Fagballs" but that goes against a rule :/

Perhaps....

Ooh!

Urgh76:

CM156:

Atmos Duality:

Now that is pretentious.

That reminds me of this....

OT: This seems pretty neat, I can't give a better suggestion than your idea for a starter xD

As for an actual name, I'd go with the Yahtzee Crosshaw Tradition and name him/her something like "Fagballs" but that goes against a rule :/

Perhaps....

Ooh!

Well, that song is going to be stuck in my head.

And no offense, but I find the whole idea behind

to be a bit silly.

Urgh76:

Perhaps....

Ooh!

Did Triple H get a sex change?
(And un-age about 30 years)

Atmos Duality:

Urgh76:

Perhaps....

Ooh!

Did Triple H get a sex change?
(And un-age about 30 years)

I'm afraid I don't know who that is. Is he a wrestler (Google search turned up this)

CM156:

I'm afraid I don't know who that is. Is he a wrestler (Google search turned up this)

Yes. Sometimes referred to as "The Game".

Atmos Duality:

CM156:

Yes. Sometimes referred to as "The Game".

I see. Well, I can assure you that our character is not a 30 year regressed transgender person. At least, I hope not...

Bah I was gonna do this! :) Ah well, hope you'll be using a team of rarely-used/not fully evolved mons. Don't grind too much either, if you have a level 50 starter by the first gym I don't need to read your updates to know what's gonna happen.

As for your name/starter I'd say a female character named Kesla with the grass starter whose name I can't remember called Smogon.

CM156:

I feel Nuzlocke takes some of the fun out of the game, to be honest. You lose a pokemon forever due to a small mistake. Oh well.

They can be pretty fun to play but they'd make a boring as hell Let's Play. "Oh no half my team died in the fight against this gym leader! Coming next week - an update where I do nothing but grind levels to recover the team I already had in the first place!"

Pearwood:
Bah I was gonna do this! :) Ah well, hope you'll be using a team of rarely-used/not fully evolved mons. Don't grind too much either, if you have a level 50 starter by the first gym I don't need to read your updates to know what's gonna happen.

As for your name/starter I'd say a female character named Kesla with the grass starter whose name I can't remember called Smogon.

CM156:

They can be pretty fun to play but they'd make a boring as hell Let's Play. "Oh no half my team died in the fight against this gym leader! Coming next week - an update where I do nothing but grind levels to recover the team I already had in the first place!"

I won't be overly grinding, no. But I will be training up my pokemans.

I'd say that there's also a huge problem with Team Magma/Aqua as the central enemy. But I'll get into that later.

So far, it appears that most people want a female character, and short of a large swing, that's what I'll be doing.

I also like the name "Raven" so far.

Oh, and I agree about the Nuzlocke thing. It doesn't sound like something good for a LP. I may replay silver doing one some time. But that's neither here nor there.

CM156:

Atmos Duality:

CM156:

Female.

themutantlizard:

i got that from zero punctuation

For the name I would personally suggest "Ana Lee" (say it fast) for a joke name, "Leandra" for a serious name. if you're set on the female trainer.

CM156:

So far, it appears that most people want a female character, and short of a large swing, that's what I'll be doing.

Probably because of RedChocobo's LPs.

themutantlizard:

CM156:

Atmos Duality:

Female.

themutantlizard:

i got that from zero punctuation

I'm well aware.

Pearwood:

CM156:

Probably because of RedChocobo's LPs.

I saw the one for Pokemon Red. But that's it.

CM156:

They're well worth a look, they're some of the best LPs I've ever seen. All of the ones except his Platinum one are available on the lparchive if you don't have a Something Awful account.

Pearwood:

CM156:

They're well worth a look, they're some of the best LPs I've ever seen. All of the ones except his Platinum one are available on the lparchive if you don't have a Something Awful account.

I'll save that for after this LP, when I (Hopefully) move on to NWN2, because I don't want to subcontinental steal jokes without thinking about it.

How about we name him Yamcha? Or Caesar? Or even Roberto?

FilipJPhry:

Caesar is an interesting name. However, I think the consensus is that we're going for a female. Still, I think I should name a pokemon that somewhere along the line

CM156:

FilipJPhry:

Caesar is an interesting name. However, I think the consensus is that we're going for a female. Still, I think I should name a pokemon that somewhere along the line

What about a very obscure name like Xander or Baltar?
Sorry about the character names, but we need some references!

FilipJPhry:

CM156:

FilipJPhry:

I'm afraid that I don't know what it's a reference to...

CM156:

FilipJPhry:

CM156:

Like I said, a very obscure reference. Xander is a Buffy reference and Baltar is a Battlestar Galactica reference.
If we need a pokemon reference, I'd suggest a name like Emerald or Ruby! Something from the original trainer's name.

FilipJPhry:

CM156:

FilipJPhry:

Like I said, a very obscure reference. Xander is a Buffy reference and Baltar is a Battlestar Galactica reference.
If we need a pokemon reference, I'd suggest a name like Emerald or Ruby! Something from the original trainer's name.

I still like the name "Raven" a lot. Perhaps it's because I love the horrid fanfiction "My Immortal" but it's just resonating with me well.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 24 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked