Let's Play: Pokemon Ruby Post Game 4: In which we face off against evil

Pages PREV 1 . . . 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 NEXT

Caramel Frappe:

CM156:
Snip

You know, at this point I would ask all those trainers in the cave what exactly are they doing in the dark all that time standing around. I'm afraid that one of their responses will be the actually following believe it or not..

Raven: "..So, you were waiting for me in the dark.. for a battle..?"

Trainer: "Yeah! I suspected that a trainer would show up. I set up a tent, supplies, snacks, everything! And now you're here... we can finally battle!!"

Raven: "... I.. don't.. even. Why is it SO important to fight me for? Especially in the dark? What are the chances of a trainer going through here? We could.. you know, fly over the cave if we wanted to."

Trainer: "But you didn't, did you? *smirk*"

Raven: "Oh what the heck- you're right, why didn't we just fly over the cave? Forget this."

Trainer: "No, wait, WAIT!! We need to battle!! I'll never get to fight a girl in the dark like this ever again!! It's one of my fetishes!!"

I'm so sorry, it had to be said.

Personally, I can't see the appeal.

I will not battle in the dark.
I will not battle with a lark
I will not battle in the sky
I will not battle with this guy
I will not battle on a boat
I will not battle with a goat
I will not battle here or there
I will not battle anywhere

Sorry, that also had to be said. Dr. Seuss strikes again!

StorytellingIsAMust:

CM156:

Question time: Of all the rivals in all the games, which one did you like the most? For me, I thought Silver was a good one.

Silver was my favorite rival of all time. He was more than just some guy that followed you around, he was a character. His belief that the strong should dominate the weak is fascinating and makes all of his actions make sense. The strong are the only ones worthy of victory, so he must be the strongest. He takes what he wants from those weaker than him because he believes he deserves it, he demands perfection from his Pokemon because he only wants strength, he attacks Team Rocket because he wishes to prove his strength, and he treats you like crap when he loses because he is afraid to admit that he's weak.

CM156:

Also, and this is a larger question: What team should we use for the Elite Four?

Ooh, this is gonna take some thought.

Swampert is definitely in there, and I'd give it Surf, Ice Beam, Earthquake, and Hydro Pump.
I always highly reccomend a Gardevoir with Psychic, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, and Calm Mind. Love Gardevoir.
Flygon is also a strong choice. For moves, I'm thinking Crunch, Earthquake, Dragonbreath, and Flamethrower.
Cacturne with Needle Arm, Giga Drain, and a decent Dark attack would be good.
Magcargo can be dangerous with Flamethrower, Rock Slide, Toxic, and...uh...maybe Yawn.
And finally, a fighting type. Hariyama would probably work better than Machoke, but either one's a good bet. Not really sure on what moves would be good though.

I agree with you about silver. He did have a personality. A rather deep one, at that. Was he a bit cruel? No doubt. But he made for a complex character.

CM156:

Question time: Of all the rivals in all the games, which one did you like the most? For me, I thought Silver was a good one.

Also, and this is a larger question: What team should we use for the Elite Four?

Here is what we're going up against.

I liked Cheren/ bianca in BW. They were interesting when juxtaposed and Cheren was competative and an actual threat without being a dick.

For the team,

1.Swampert (teach it ice beam)
2. An electric type (for Glacia)
3. machoke (for sidney and Glacia and steven)
4. Flygon (drake & steven)
5. cacturne or absol (with shadow ball cuz his SP.atk is shit) (for phoebe)
6. Groudon (for steven) or any other strong back up pokemon

CM156:

I'll try to find something more obscure next time. But to be honest, I just google-imaged "Do not want" and found the best pic that way.

Shame about HR for you though. As I said, that was my GotY

Couldn't get into the first one either, which is too bad cuz I wanted to like them.

CM156:

StorytellingIsAMust:

Silver was my favorite rival of all time. He was more than just some guy that followed you around, he was a character. His belief that the strong should dominate the weak is fascinating and makes all of his actions make sense. The strong are the only ones worthy of victory, so he must be the strongest. He takes what he wants from those weaker than him because he believes he deserves it, he demands perfection from his Pokemon because he only wants strength, he attacks Team Rocket because he wishes to prove his strength, and he treats you like crap when he loses because he is afraid to admit that he's weak.

I agree with you about silver. He did have a personality. A rather deep one, at that. Was he a bit cruel? No doubt. But he made for a complex character.

like father, like son.

sextus the crazy:

CM156:

Here is what we're going up against.

I liked Cheren/ bianca in BW. They were interesting when juxtaposed and Cheren was competative and an actual threat without being a dick.

For the team,

1.Swampert (teach it ice beam)
2. An electric type (for Glacia)
3. machoke (for sidney and Glacia and steven)
4. Flygon (drake & steven)
5. cacturne or absol (with shadow ball cuz his SP.atk is shit) (for phoebe)
6. Groudon (for steven) or any other strong back up pokemon

CM156:

I'll try to find something more obscure next time. But to be honest, I just google-imaged "Do not want" and found the best pic that way.

Shame about HR for you though. As I said, that was my GotY

Couldn't get into the first one either, which is too bad cuz I wanted to like them.

I like how it tackled the issue of transhumanism, which is something I knew little about. Plus, the guns were fun to use.

Also, good so far on the ideas for the team.

CM156:

I like how it tackled the issue of transhumanism, which is something I knew little about. Plus, the guns were fun to use.

Yeah transhumanism is pretty cool stuff. Most of what I know comes from reading Ray Kurzweil's "the singularity is coming"

sextus the crazy:

CM156:

Yeah transhumanism is pretty cool stuff. Most of what I know comes from reading Ray Kurzweil's "the singularity is coming"

If I had to critique it, it would be this:

You start out the game too weak, and end up way too strong.
The maps are a bit too large.
Batteries only recharge for the first one
Ammo is way to expensive and takes up way too much space

Otherwise, good. Barely beats out Skyrim for me. I had fun with that game. I hope both have some DLC soon (I didn't play Missing Link, but I heard it wasn't great)

emeraldrafael:

sage42:
... Also why does every Dragon trainer use Altaria? It isn't even a dragon pokemon.

Altaria (Japanese: チルタリス Tyltalis) is a dual-type Dragon/Flying Pokémon.
source

Oh........well that's a silly type mach up. Still seems like an incredibly useless Pokemon to me.

sage42:

emeraldrafael:

sage42:
... Also why does every Dragon trainer use Altaria? It isn't even a dragon pokemon.

source

Oh........well that's a silly type mach up. Still seems like an incredibly useless Pokemon to me.

Salamance and dragonite are both flying/dragon type, both are pseudo-legendary, both kick all kinds of ass.

its a bulky mother at 105 sp def, 90 def, solid attacker at 70 each, decent health in 75 hp and somewat quick with 80 speed. it has nature cure which removes status on switch out and in the dream world it has cloud nine wihcih negates weather damage. has all the resistances of a dragon, all the bite of one too with dragon dance, outrage, dragonbreath/pulse, earthquake solarbeam, ice bmea, flamethrower. Learns a good many flying moves other dragons cant.

has rest, roost, heal bell, can wall, can fight, can support to a degree. I've even seen trainers in nuzlockes take them from the swablu stage all the way to the end and face and win against its more "superior" dragons like salamance, like garchomp.

Its is incredibly far from being useless.

emeraldrafael:

sage42:

emeraldrafael:

source

Salamance and dragonite are both flying/dragon type, both are pseudo-legendary, both kick all kinds of ass.

its a bulky mother at 105 sp def, 90 def, solid attacker at 70 each, decent health in 75 hp and somewat quick with 80 speed. it has nature cure which removes status on switch out and in the dream world it has cloud nine wihcih negates weather damage. has all the resistances of a dragon, all the bite of one too with dragon dance, outrage, dragonbreath/pulse, earthquake solarbeam, ice bmea, flamethrower. Learns a good many flying moves other dragons cant.

has rest, roost, heal bell, can wall, can fight, can support to a degree. I've even seen trainers in nuzlockes take them from the swablu stage all the way to the end and face and win against its more "superior" dragons like salamance, like garchomp.

Huh, well I always loved to be proved wrong on these matters so long as the person doesn't rub it in my face. Guess I just always have a hard time against 'em, maybe that's why I hate the Swablu line.

sage42:

emeraldrafael:

sage42:

Huh, well I always loved to be proved wrong on these matters so long as the person doesn't rub it in my face. Guess I just always have a hard time against 'em, maybe that's why I hate the Swablu line.

Personally, I'm not too fond of the Swablu line, but only because they look a little really ridiculous. I don't hate them, but I never used them.

Let's Play: Pokemon Ruby 28: In which we do a different kind of Nuzlocke

Question time: Of all the elite four members in all the games which one(s) do/did you like? For me, Drake is my favorite. I'm not too fond of Lorelei, though. If only because I called her "L'Oréal" for a while by mistake. Oh, and Lance, before he became the champion. He was cool.

Ah yes the Elite Four, love that title even when they piss you off, on some occasions you just can't hate them. (Except for Agatha, Agatha can go to hell.)

As for my favourite members, I'll pick one from each region.

1.Kanto Elite Four. Lance my first though when facing him for the first time, was "I want a Dragonite."

2.Johto Elite Four. Karen Dark is my second favourite type next to water, plus I loved that bad girl look she give off. That and she did say something pretty cool after her defeat in Heartgold/Soulsilver. ("Strong Pokemon, weak Pokemon. These are just common misconceptions made by selfish people, a real trainer fights with the Pokemon they love the most.")

3.Hoenn Elite Four. This is a tough one, but I'm going to go with Glacia, just because how classy she looks, Sidney comes in a close second.

4.Sinnoh Elite Four. Aaron, he made me see the Bug type in a whole different light.

5.Unova Elite Four. Catlin, still say she was the most challenging member, but I like Grimsely as well.

Oh and the Hoenn Elite four theme is awesome. (Starts humming it)

Huh, just stumbled upon this (little bit late), but it looks interesting. Have to admit, RSE is my least favourite of the series - that's in world, Pokémon design and level-scaling, but I guess that stuff doesn't really matter when I'm watching someone else suffer through it :P

CM156:
Otherwise, good. Barely beats out Skyrim for me. I had fun with that game. I hope both have some DLC soon (I didn't play Missing Link, but I heard it wasn't great)

Missing Link was awesome, I don't know where you heard that!

Only problem with it is that it doesn't really add anything new gameplay-wise. But the story is great, and the boss doesn't suck.

Also:

SirBryghtside:
Huh, just stumbled upon this (little bit late), but it looks interesting. Have to admit, RSE is my least favourite of the series - that's in world, Pokémon design and level-scaling, but I guess that stuff doesn't really matter when I'm watching someone else suffer through it :P

CM156:

Missing Link was awesome, I don't know where you heard that!

Only problem with it is that it doesn't really add anything new gameplay-wise. But the story is great, and the boss doesn't suck.

Also:

My former boss (Of sorts. It's complicated) told me that it was just cut content that didn't add much to the story. I haven't heard many glowing reviews of it either.

CM156:

Question time: Of all the elite four members in all the games which one(s) do/did you like? For me, Drake is my favorite. I'm not too fond of Lorelei, though. If only because I called her "L'Oréal" for a while by mistake. Oh, and Lance, before he became the champion. He was cool.

I looked at the battles and thought "there's no way that your pokemon out sped and OHKO'ed all of the elite4." and then I looked at your pokemon's levels. Durp.

You must have done so much grinding that your pokemon would be a fine powder at the end.

as for the E4, Flint, sidney, Shauntal, and Grimsley seemed pretty cool. BTW, what's up with the spikes in drake's area. They seem to be protruding from flesh in the ground.

Why the hell did you not teach swampert surf or waterfall? I can undestand keeping Muddy water, but water gun? really?

... eh.

anyway, to your questions:

Kanto - Lorelei, just cause i didnt care for anyone else in that league/she gve me the most trouble. Not I dont remember why, I think it had something to do with me not having any ground or fire types cause I didnt think Id need them. And ebcause this was before vaporeon got moves like wish and an abilitiy like water absorb I couldnt just tank the shit out of her with it.

Jhoto - Im gonna say Karen. She packed an Umbreon which was a bitch, and because shes the only real new character (no, Koga doesnt count), and I didnt like will as much, she wins by default. plus... she was kinda hot to me back then, but I was younger. she still is kinda cute, and I know a friend has something special for her.

Hoenn - Drakes the man, nuff said.

Sinnoh - Probably doesnt count but I would say Cynthia, and shes my favorite Champion too. She seemed like the kinda girl I would get a long with.

Unova - Caitlyn. I was just glad to see her getting some major screen time and night being that silent, I need my man to fight my battles for me.

CM156:

All of them, the elite four sort of seem like a joke to me. Their Pokemon aren't even fully evolved when they're at such a high level. I know that sounds unreasonable of me and all but-

HEY!! Don't laugh at me (God, his laugh is like a personal heck... I can't bear it..) But besides that, I do hope you succeed well. This particular post (comic) was pretty hilarious yet to many to point out specifically. Still, can't wait to see more from you man ^_^.

Caramel Frappe:

CM156:

All of them, the elite four sort of seem like a joke to me. Their Pokemon aren't even fully evolved when they're at such a high level. I know that sounds unreasonable of me and all but-

HEY!! Don't laugh at me (God, his laugh is like a personal heck... I can't bear it..) But besides that, I do hope you succeed well. This particular post (comic) was pretty hilarious yet to many to point out specifically. Still, can't wait to see more from you man ^_^.

well, don't go anywhere. I got yet another update in the works. Should be out in a short bit. I'll PM you the link

Okay, I was expecting a more difficult fight than that.

Either the "elite" four are a joke or you're just that good.

Let's Play: Pokemon Ruby 29: In which we realize that some things never change

Question: Which Elite Four + Champion combo did you find the hardest? For me, it's the one from Gen 1. I've never beaten Gary Oak as champion.

CM156:

That video is banned in my country :(

Basically, it's like the Illuminati. But if this guy asks me to call him "Bob", I'm running out.

You've entered the minotaur's labyrinth, there's no going back now.

Next time: Post-game wrap-up

Out of curiosity, how much post game content is there that needs wrapping up?

ChupathingyX:

CM156:

That video is banned in my country :(

Basically, it's like the Illuminati. But if this guy asks me to call him "Bob", I'm running out.

You've entered the minotaur's labyrinth, there's no going back now.

Next time: Post-game wrap-up

Out of curiosity, how much post game content is there that needs wrapping up?

Pity.

Does this link work better?

As for the amount of content? Dunno.

EDIT: Always forward, never left or right

CM156:
Question: Which Elite Four + Champion combo did you find the hardest? For me, it's the one from Gen 1. I've never beaten Gary Oak as champion.

Wow, its kinda sad to think that you'll be finishing this up soon. Hopeflly we'll get another one (I always like pokemon LP's in particular or screeen shot ones that can add humour, I just cant watch a straight up LP), but thats up to you.

As to the question...

Gary never really gave me an issue, But i had pretty much every counter I needed (that and I went with Venasaur so charizard is insanely easy when you a bringa vaporeon to that fight and it just trucks four of his pokemon. I will say that choosing Blastoise created some problems, cause i dont pick vaporeon up when I do and that just makes it a bitch to deal with. Though really Gary's weakness is a sturdy water pokemon no matter which pokemon you choose (even Charmander, though that Gyrados can be a pain if youre not packing some volts) since with ice beam you can beat at least 3 of his pokemon (four if you can hit that exaggutor quick enough or withstand the shot. his alakazam is really the hardest pokemon to deal with, but all you need is a dark type with a good physical attack and decent sp. def. Or something that can hit physcially hard, cause thats where it hurts it the most. In Gen one, all you really need is a durable physically hitting pokemon (I have success with Rhydon to be honest) and you can crush his Alakazam despite that bullshit stat mixing the first gen did.

Lance was even more of a joke, but then again, i thought most of that elite four was an I ran through them with three pokemon (Vaporeon, Typhlosion, Amphoras). Send out Amph to beat his Gyrados and then just swept with vaporeon ice beam, while my Typhlosion just kinda hanged back and chilled out.

the third generation nintendo and gamefreak realized that they needed to stop giving me a chance to use vaporeon to just crush my opponent, but Stephen isnt all that difficult really. His team is largely a joke and yo only really need two or three types to effectively sweep him. Plus they gave my Flygon (cause before I would just rip shit up with dragonite when my vaporeon needed a breather) and when he learned sandstorm my battle plan effectively changed to what I recommended and I just statused the hell out of the Elite 4. but thats only if I have a swampert, my battle strategy changes completely with blaziken.

Cynthia straight up worked me over the first time I fought her and did a complete wipe of my team. the second time I tried was a nuzlocke (since I have a rule in game [even regular] if I dont beat the E4 and champ I just stop playing and start over) was even worse, cause that fucker flint (yeah, i dont like him, even as a chracter. it doesnt help that he reminds me of pennywise either) killed my cherrim, and my rapidash was taken down by Lucians Bronzong. So when I went to face her with just four pokemon, Cynthia just bent me over a chair and gave me another ass stomping. the third time I finally beat her (and that damn milotic, I swear thats her hardest pokemon to beat). However, even though she handed my balls back to me twice, i could never really hate her. thats why shes my favorite Champion and E4 Member.

Alder actually left my disappointed. N was harder, and that was after my Zekrom completely destroyed his Reshiram (though to be fair I didnt use Zekrom in the battle after that. but then again, i didnt use him or any other ubers against alder). he's got a real weakness to Fire in that two of his pokemon are x2 weak to it and one is x4. You factor in he's got a Bouffalant thats x2 weak to Fighting (and a lack of anyhting to hit super effective against it), a dragon thats x2 weak to ice, and his "ultimate" pokemon Volcarona is x2 weak to water, you can effectively go in there with a dharmatan (with his fire attacks and hammer arm) and Samurott (who learns a fighting move revenge, ice type blizzard, and water attacks like surf and waterfall) and sweep his team with just two pokemon (which i did). And the Elite 4 are so much tougher the secound time through.

so yeah, Im going to say Cynthia, cause shes the only one that provides a challenge and still beats me from tiem to time even when I prepare for her.

EDIT: also, I notice you didnt use marcargo or cacturne in the final battle. Or at least I dont think you did.

CM156:

Let's Play: Pokemon Ruby 29: In which we realize that some things never change

Gary was kinda hard, but that was due more to the terrible balance and poor move sets of almost all of the pokemon (back in RBGY) (back then mews "learn all the TMs" ability was much more useful)

In 3rd gen he was a challenge again, especially in round 2.

Honestly, Cynthia was the only one who was a challenge (mostly due to Garchomp)

Lance was low leveled so I plowed through him.

Steven was destroyed by Blaziken.

Wallace was somewhat of a challenge, but I never lost to him.

Alder was really easy because of the terrible typings his pokemon had. (bug is shit at taking hits.)

CM156:

... Sooooooooo- you come, traveling who knows how far to this tower to ask for her PokeDEX after she defeated the hardest dude known in the game (I assume)? Dude, that's pretty low if I must say. Despite your cheer for her, the impatience you have to want some device after her long dream of being greatest trainer is just shameful.

Also the ending is sort of weird in my tastes. I can understand that she'll be placed in records as beating the elite 4 plus Raven himself.. yet, it's still odd how huge that room is with the screen flashing then your main character suddenly being asleep like she got drunk and doesn't remember anything.

Hopefully we shall see you do more reviews. There's new Pokemon games out and I would love your feedback on those. You do got some chatty fans like us, and anonymous fans who only wish to browse and see what you review. If not, it's all good.. was enjoyable while it lasted my friend. May you keep doing what you love, it is delightful after all!! ^_^

It has to be the Sinnoh Elite four, lead by Cynthia. They new how to defend themselves against there Pokemon's weakness and Cynthia herself, was just plain difficult. That Dragon Rush attack from her Garchomp never once missed against me and it was always a critical hit. Guess I just have bad luck.

Let's Play: Pokemon Ruby Post Game 1: In which we go sailing

Question time:
What is the first thing you tend to do after you take on the Elite Four?

Also:

If they have to be taken on a second time, I go and train my Pokemon. If I've defeated them completey, I will go and do the following things.

1.Train anyway.

2.Take on a battle challenge such as the subway or in the gen 4 games the battle frontier.

3.Catch any legendaries I may have missed out on, such as wandering legendaries (Yes that's what I call them) I'm currently hunting Latias in Heartgold, came close a few times but my Pidgeot must be really tired chasing it via fly.

I figure if Pokemon were real it would probably go like this.

Me: Pidgeot use fly.

Pidgeot: Right (in Poke language)

battle Latias, it gets away.

Me: Pidgeot use fly.

Pidgeot Right.

much much later.

Me: Pidgeot use...

Pidgeot: No fuck you I'm beat, get one of your other pokemon to chase it.

Edit: Names for the Regis, how about Huey, Dewey and Louie after the kids from Ducktales?

CM156:

I was thinking Billybob, Joebob, and BobBob.

CM156:

Question time:

Also:

A Katawa shoujo reference and a 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors reference. It's like you're intentionally trying to make me happy. those two games were some of my favorites that I've played recently.

Regarding endgame, I usually grind the elite 4 for experience and then tool around.

as for names, how bout "the good, the bad, and the ugly"? (steel, ice, rock respectively)

Solo-Wing:

CM156:

I was thinking Billybob, Joebob, and BobBob.

larrybob, curlybob, and moebob?

although moebob looks like moeblob.

sextus the crazy:

CM156:

Question time:

Also:

A Katawa shoujo reference and a 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors reference. It's like you're intentionally trying to make me happy. those two games were some of my favorites that I've played recently.

Regarding endgame, I usually grind the elite 4 for experience and then tool around.

as for names, how bout "the good, the bad, and the ugly"? (steel, ice, rock respectively)

As much as I really hate to say this, I've never played 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors, so I don't know what I did that referenced them.

And yeah. I thought Katawa Shoujo was a pretty good game. And you can't beat free.

Cool, you played Katawa Shoujo!! :D

As for the Regi's;

I actually like Sextus' idea of "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly."

ChupathingyX:
Cool, you played Katawa Shoujo!! :D

As for the Regi's;

I actually like Sextus' idea of "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly."

I take it you did as well?

I actually did an (intentionally horrid) voice over of the first few minutes of it with a few friends. More for our own enjoyment than anyone else's

And I'm in agreement about the name. That's the best I've seen so far.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked