Let's Play: Pokemon Ruby Post Game 4: In which we face off against evil

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 24 NEXT

CM156:

emeraldrafael:

CM156:

Not a huge fan of growl, to be honest. Also, it looks like I'll have to do two mini updates to cover everything in between the plot.

and yet, on three of your pokemon. XD Seriously, need to start TMing that shit out. actually on that topic, teach shock wave to Ralts. it will make very good use of it. cause ralts and its line are definite TM whores.

Yeah, I've heard as much about Ralts. Too bad TMs are single use, though. If I'm not mistaken, they changed that in Generation V. That's a better system.

yeah, itsa much better system. THough Im still hoping in the sixth generation (not that there is one announced to my knowledge, but if there is) they make all the TM/HMs into one category that you can use over and over again and dont have to go to a move deleter to get rid of.

Still, in this game, shock wave is agreat TM for ralts. the only reason I can really think of to keep it is if you give it to electrike so it as a sp. atk electric type move (cause its sp. atk is higher than its atk), but even then, if you save thunderbolt for it or thunder then it wont really matter. And a shock wave carrying ralts is always a nice touch to any team, since it nd other TMs take advantage of Rats great sp. atk and give it some more versitility.

ChupathingyX:
Offensive jokes?

What is this a PG website for grannies? :P

Keep doing what you're doing.

Also, I'm just curious if the gym battles get a lot harder later on. Every LP I've watched of a Pokemon game the first 3 or 4 gym battles are really easy.

You young whippersnappers! Get off mah lawn!

Good to know I'm not offending anyone.

Gym battles do get harder later on. But the only thing that's a real hard time are the Elite Four and the Champion. Then again, fire is a shared weakness between two people there, and all you elsewise need is a dark and ice type, and something that's strong against dark. I think.

Also, have you seen this New Vegas mod?

emeraldrafael:

CM156:

emeraldrafael:

and yet, on three of your pokemon. XD Seriously, need to start TMing that shit out. actually on that topic, teach shock wave to Ralts. it will make very good use of it. cause ralts and its line are definite TM whores.

Yeah, I've heard as much about Ralts. Too bad TMs are single use, though. If I'm not mistaken, they changed that in Generation V. That's a better system.

yeah, itsa much better system. THough Im still hoping in the sixth generation (not that there is one announced to my knowledge, but if there is) they make all the TM/HMs into one category that you can use over and over again and dont have to go to a move deleter to get rid of.

Still, in this game, shock wave is agreat TM for ralts. the only reason I can really think of to keep it is if you give it to electrike so it as a sp. atk electric type move (cause its sp. atk is higher than its atk), but even then, if you save thunderbolt for it or thunder then it wont really matter. And a shock wave carrying ralts is always a nice touch to any team, since it nd other TMs take advantage of Rats great sp. atk and give it some more versitility.

I see. My only thought is that I don't really need it to know that move yet. I mean, the next gym leader is fire, right? I wouldn't think we'd need it till Winona

CM156:

Haha, yes, the Escapist actually had an article on it a while back.

CM156:

emeraldrafael:
Snip

I see. My only thought is that I don't really need it to know that move yet. I mean, the next gym leader is fire, right? I wouldn't think we'd need it till Winona

Thats true, but electric gets great type coverage and there are plenty of trainers that will be using flying/water types in the world. I know you'll be seeing skarmory as you go to Fallabor town, and Swablu are part flying. Plus its an attack that never misses, and on pokemon like cacnea that have evasion raising natures/moves an always hit move can be a life saver and generally make the whole game much easier to do with.

and if you want my opinion any further, I'd say to have your final set for ralts be water pulse, calm mind, psychic, shockwave for the coverage and attacking power/added effects.

ChupathingyX:

CM156:

Haha, yes, the Escapist actually had an article on it a while back.

I wonder how that would work with a Hardcore run.

I wonder: Are there any other good games to apply "hardcore" set of rules too.

emeraldrafael:

CM156:

emeraldrafael:
Snip

Thats true, but electric gets great type coverage and there are plenty of trainers that will be using flying/water types in the world. I know you'll be seeing skarmory as you go to Fallabor town, and Swablu are part flying. Plus its an attack that never misses, and on pokemon like cacnea that have evasion raising natures/moves an always hit move can be a life saver and generally make the whole game much easier to do with.

and if you want my opinion any further, I'd say to have your final set for ralts be water pulse, calm mind, psychic, shockwave for the coverage and attacking power/added effects.

That's actually a pretty good build. But if you don't mind, I'd rather hold off just a bit till I use any TMs. For secretive reasons. But your ideas are good. I don't generally get into this much tactically.

CM156:
That's actually a pretty good build. But if you don't mind, I'd rather hold off just a bit till I use any TMs. For secretive reasons. But your ideas are good. I don't generally get into this much tactically.

well, its as good as you can do in ruby/sapphire at least while still thinking of better uses. Yous hould definitely give flygon the flamethrower TM, even if you catch a fire type.

And alright. Well just keep it in mind I suppose. a TM wielding Gardevoir can often be a game winner/changer.

And its cool. Like i said multiple times I nuzlocke which all about how much power you can get of what of you got, and even more so I just like the one.

emeraldrafael:

CM156:

well, its as good as you can do in ruby/sapphire at least while still thinking of better uses. Yous hould definitely give flygon the flamethrower TM, even if you catch a fire type.

And alright. Well just keep it in mind I suppose. a TM wielding Gardevoir can often be a game winner/changer.

And its cool. Like i said multiple times I nuzlocke which all about how much power you can get of what of you got, and even more so I just like the one.

As I said, it's good to have a real thinker involved in this. And again, feel free to tell us your ideas.

I find Nuzlock rules rather... arbitrary. They don't follow a trend. For example, I might try the "Christian Playthough" rules for a pokemon game.

If nothing else, the idea is funny.

CM156:

emeraldrafael:

CM156:

As I said, it's good to have a real thinker involved in this. And again, feel free to tell us your ideas.

I find Nuzlock rules rather... arbitrary. They don't follow a trend. For example, I might try the "Christian Playthough" rules for a pokemon game.

Yeah I've seen that one before. I tried it, failed it when i kicked the happiny out on her ass into the box at level 15. Im a bad christian. XD

CM156:

Do you mean like a self-imposed challenge with New Vegas style hardcore to any game?

Or just self imposed challenges that cater to the specific game?

emeraldrafael:

CM156:

emeraldrafael:

Yeah I've seen that one before. I tried it, failed it when i kicked the happiny out on her ass into the box at level 15. Im a bad christian. XD

Well, I'm not catholic, I'm a protestant. So I can go for that ruleset. Which is much easier, don't you think?

ChupathingyX:

CM156:

Do you mean like a self-imposed challenge with New Vegas style hardcore to any game?

Or just self imposed challenges that cater to the specific game?

I mean any self-imposed challenge to any game. For example, I did Mass Effect 2 without using any healing.

CM156:

emeraldrafael:
snip

Well, I'm not catholic, I'm a protestant. So I can go for that ruleset. Which is much easier, don't you think?

Yeah, I suppose so. Thouh I've always found solo runs to be hard. Just to be a dick about it i did a solo run in Pearl with fire types (theres only two in game, technically three if you count flame plate arceus but thats no way to put hair ony our chest), so I wound up having two pokemon at level 100 by the time I got to the elite four and just overpowered everything in my way.
had a bunch of HM slaves too, naturally, but i didnt use them in battle.

emeraldrafael:

CM156:

emeraldrafael:
snip

Yeah, I suppose so. Thouh I've always found solo runs to be hard. Just to be a dick about it i did a solo run in Pearl with fire types (theres only two in game, technically three if you count flame plate arceus but thats no way to put hair ony our chest), so I wound up having two pokemon at level 100 by the time I got to the elite four and just overpowered everything in my way.
had a bunch of HM slaves too, naturally, but i didnt use them in battle.

I find Arceus to be funny. You're basically enslaving god to do your bidding when you catch him.

I might try a non-lethal play of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but I doubt it. Killing people is just too much fun.

Wait..

CM156:

I find Arceus to be funny. You're basically enslaving god to do your bidding when you catch him.

I might try a non-lethal play of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but I doubt it. Killing people is just too much fun.

Wait..

And thus you are added to the list of people the police have to look out ofr. XD Its oka, every other gamer would be on it too.

And yaeh, I think its funny about Palkia and Dialga being space and time. In a small corss over between my pearl nuzlocke ad a friends white nuzlocke our characters talk about where his says he saved the world from trainers having their pokemon taken away and then mine says he saved space itself and then his says wwell I did it on friday and mine says he did it on tuesday and his just goes "arceus damnit! fine, you win again".

emeraldrafael:

CM156:

Wait..

And thus you are added to the list of people the police have to look out ofr. XD Its oka, every other gamer would be on it too.

And yaeh, I think its funny about Palkia and Dialga being space and time. In a small corss over between my pearl nuzlocke ad a friends white nuzlocke our characters talk about where his says he saved the world from trainers having their pokemon taken away and then mine says he saved space itself and then his says wwell I did it on friday and mine says he did it on tuesday and his just goes "arceus damnit! fine, you win again".

Yeah, that's kinda funny.

You know what's another good pokemon game? Explorers of Darkness/Time. Really fun. Possibly my favorite handheld game of all time. Nuzlocking that though... damn, that would be HARD.

CM156:

emeraldrafael:

CM156:

Wait..

well, it will be a bit funnier once we pad it out and make it more genuine.

and I never really cared much for spin off games like mystery dungeon. I dont know why really, just didnt. I think I like to battle with pokemon and have the adventure, rather than be them.

Or maybe it was just cause izuna was the same game and i had that to play.

Yeah, that's kinda funny.

You know what's another good pokemon game? Explorers of Darkness/Time. Really fun. Possibly my favorite handheld game of all time. Nuzlocking that though... damn, that would be HARD.

emeraldrafael:
well, it will be a bit funnier once we pad it out and make it more genuine.

and I never really cared much for spin off games like mystery dungeon. I dont know why really, just didnt. I think I like to battle with pokemon and have the adventure, rather than be them.

Or maybe it was just cause izuna was the same game and i had that to play.

There are a few games that can make me cry. The super good ending to Fallout 3 (Before the Retcon of the DLC), the "Sacrifice" ending to Mask of the Betrayer, and the "Sacrifice" ending for Dragon Age: Origins. Those, and the pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are ones that made me shed manly tears, which is effective. I feel invested in the characters that I feel compelled when something happens to them.

Let's Play: Pokemon Ruby Mini-Update 2.0: In which we help dig a tunnel

Dear Lord, this is a large update

Non-Pokemon related question time: What games would you like to do a LP of? Other than this, I'd like to do one of the Explorers of Darkness/Time pokemon games, but those ea really better if someone plays them themselves. Pokemon Silver is also good.

I've seen people who play on Wallys illness as a life threatening one. Like he has cancer or something. Its kinda cool when people do, gives wally moer personality. And I feel I should mention that, even though i dont think you'll ever replace marshtomp, marill and its evolution is beast in this game. They can be bulky mothers that just tank hits and deal out punishment. My level 25 completely trucked Flannery with roll out.

towards the question, Im not big on LPs. I like to write fan fictions (I know, thats a dirtty thing) that kinda read as LPs, but I would never really do an LP. Mostly cause I suck at games and like to experiment, and it would just take forever for me to put one up cause Im not good with deadlines.

Although I prefer reading (or watching) LPs, if I did ever do an LP I would probably play Fallout (maybe even Fallout 2) or Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction (although I don't have any capture technology for PS2). Most of the games I play aren't really "LP material".

emeraldrafael:
I've seen people who play on Wallys illness as a life threatening one. Like he has cancer or something. Its kinda cool when people do, gives wally moer personality. And I feel I should mention that, even though i dont think you'll ever replace marshtomp, marill and its evolution is beast in this game. They can be bulky mothers that just tank hits and deal out punishment. My level 25 completely trucked Flannery with roll out.

towards the question, Im not big on LPs. I like to write fan fictions (I know, thats a dirtty thing) that kinda read as LPs, but I would never really do an LP. Mostly cause I suck at games and like to experiment, and it would just take forever for me to put one up cause Im not good with deadlines.

Yeah, I didn't want to make a joke about cancer, to be honest. My father had it (He's fine now).

And one of the nice things about doing a LP is you get to update it when you like. I've been trying to keep to a better schedule, to be honest. I save a ton of time by not having to edit images.

ChupathingyX:
Although I prefer reading (or watching) LPs, if I did ever do an LP I would probably play Fallout (maybe even Fallout 2) or Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction (although I don't have any capture technology for PS2). Most of the games I play aren't really "LP material".

I agree. JRPGs are really perhaps the best LP material

CM156:

emeraldrafael:

Yeah, I didn't want to make a joke about cancer, to be honest. My father had it (He's fine now).

And one of the nice things about doing a LP is you get to update it when you like. I've been trying to keep to a better schedule, to be honest. I save a ton of time by not having to edit images.

Ah, sorry, didnt mean to offend. but it could be another illness. my friend always told me he liekd to think wally had dick rot and thats why he was such a pussy in the games and i awlays laughed about it.

emeraldrafael:

CM156:

emeraldrafael:

Ah, sorry, didnt mean to offend. but it could be another illness. my friend always told me he liekd to think wally had dick rot and thats why he was such a pussy in the games and i awlays laughed about it.

Oh, no my friend. Not at all. You needn't worry about offending me. It's just that cancer is something that's it is hard to make a joke out of. It's generally not worth it. Now dick rot... that might be funny. If you work it into some sort of context.

Let's Play: Pokemon Ruby Mini-Update 2.5: In which we call the cops

Non-pokemon question time: What are your other hobbies besides Video Games? For me, I like to read, and I'm also a firearms enthusiast. I'm also a internet satire writer.

As an aside, I'll be going to a wedding for my cousin Saturday, so I don't know when I'll update next.

EDIT: And I'll be catching a Numel next. And a Torkoal. I need names.

CM156:
Non-pokemon question time: What are your other hobbies besides Video Games? For me, I like to read, and I'm also a firearms enthusiast. I'm also a internet satire writer.

As an aside, I'll be going to a wedding for my cousin Saturday, so I don't know when I'll update next.

maybe its just my laptop, but a good few of your images say "The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available".

As for names, you could always name one Smokestack.

Though for real, as kinda a homage to a nuzlocker I particularly enjoy reading, if you get a female Numel could you name it Nessa?

and as a name for the Torkoal, maybe Maturin (the turtle guardian of the beam in the dark tower). Its not really gender specific, though I think that it was implied to be a masculine figure.

EDIT: as for my other interests, I like to read and write. I also like to play hockey. Im actually... rather decent. I captain an intermural team as a center/left wing (which people think is weird cause Im right hand dominant so I have to have a good backhand).

emeraldrafael:

CM156:

Let's Play: Pokemon Ruby Mini-Update 2.5: In which we call the cops

maybe its just my laptop, but a good few of your images say "The image you are requesting does not exist or is no longer available".

As for names, you could always name one Smokestack.

Though for real, as kinda a homage to a nuzlocker I particularly enjoy reading, if you get a female Numel could you name it Nessa?

and as a name for the Torkoal, maybe Maturin (the turtle guardian of the beam in the dark tower). Its not really gender specific, though I think that it was implied to be a masculine figure.

Really? Well, damn. My computer shows them. Is anyone else having this proplem?

But yes, I like the name Nessa

Well, it may just be my laptop. And its not like its all of them Its just a few of the early images.

EDIT:

CM156:

not that Im sure we dont enjoy suggesting names, but have you ever thought of doing a theme for your names?

emeraldrafael:
Well, it may just be my laptop. And its not like its all of them Its just a few of the early images.

EDIT:

CM156:

not that Im sure we dont enjoy suggesting names, but have you ever thought of doing a theme for your names?

Not really, no. I wanted to allow people to give ideas, so they have a chance to be more involved with the LP.

Also, it looks as though I will not be going out of town, so if that's the case, I'll be able to update over the weekend.

I think I know what the problem is with the images, and there's not much I can do to fix it. But I can prevent it from happening again.

Oka then. and oka then. Well, I saw most of the images, the one I missed that I was curious about was the one that caused the pedobear image, so thats pretty much all I missed.

emeraldrafael:
Oka then. and oka then. Well, I saw most of the images, the one I missed that I was curious about was the one that caused the pedobear image, so thats pretty much all I missed.

It was the one that said "You are being watched".

Names:
numel: I got nuthin'
Torkoal: raphael, the most fiery of the TMNT. Okay, I don't have much for this one, either. Sorry.

As far as other hobbies go, I'm a big fan of Military history (especially WWII) and a big reader in general. I'm also a big anime fan.

sextus the crazy:
Names:
Torkoal: raphael, the most fiery of the TMNT. Okay, I don't have much for this one, either. Sorry.

As far as other hobbies go, I'm a big fan of Military history (especially WWII) and a big reader in general. I'm also a big anime fan.

Raphael is actually a pretty good name.

I'm also a fan of military history, specifically, the tactics.

CM156:

sextus the crazy:
Names:

My comment isn't that Raphael is a bad name, but that pick a TMNT name is kind of obvious for a turtle. Actually if you want to go for the enlighten name, pick a renaissance era person that wasn't one of the four turtles. Hopefully, the escapist's average memeber is well-read enough to understand the name.

In regards to military history, I like the strategy and technology the most, especially the German stuff, although lower level tactics and operational level stuff is cool, too.

sextus the crazy:

CM156:

sextus the crazy:
Names:

My comment isn't that Raphael is a bad name, but that pick a TMNT name is kind of obvious for a turtle. Actually if you want to go for the enlighten name, pick a renaissance era person that wasn't one of the four turtles. Hopefully, the escapist's average memeber is well-read enough to understand the name.

In regards to military history, I like the strategy and technology the most, especially the German stuff, although lower level tactics and operational level stuff is cool, too.

That's a good idea.

And yeah. The Germans had some pretty cool stuff. I like the "Potato Masher" as well. Rather smart idea, I think

CM156:

sextus the crazy:

CM156:

That's a good idea.

And yeah. The Germans had some pretty cool stuff. I like the "Potato Masher" as well. Rather smart idea, I think

As far as non-TMNT renaissance men go, I'd pick Brunelleschi for Torkoal's name.

Adding a handle to the grenade was a pretty cool idea, but It increases the space it takes up greatly and from what I heard, the grenades aren't as powerful as the American ones. Also, stick grenades couldn't be used a rifle grenades like the pineapple grenades could.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 24 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked