Skyrim: Blocking and you, or This is why you keep dying.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I'm dual wielding shields.

Your argument is invalid.

That said, i'll give that a go on my third *planned* character. Thanks!

Why block when I can just chug 30 bowls of cabbage soup?

I have a bow and some good stealth armor. When i see an enemy, i shoot him from stealth. If he doesn't die i do it again until he sees me. When he does i shoot an arrow and run like hell, then turn around and shoot again when i think he's far enough.

Also i can use the mighty power of nature to defeat any dragon with my bow, and by that i mean i can hide behind a tree or rock and peek out between attacks to send a few arrows its way.

Blocks pretty useless compared to a axe in one hand and a heal spell in the other.

The best defence is a good offence. No need to block if nothing is hitting you.

I use bears to train my blocking. I just stand there and take the hits until I get bored!

In battle, I rarely block though. My guys a fucking tank, a damage sponge of epic proportions. The only thing I won't take head-on is a Dwemer Centurion!

I got double swords, I have no idea wtf blocking is.

My current character is a destruction-and-restoration tank mage. Between high armor rating, the ability to heal, ward if I'm taking damage, and lay down heavy damage of my own, I have absolutely no need for a shield.

My next upcoming character is going to be a stealthy illusion-and-conjuration mage. Who needs shields when you can just lay down levels of chaos that would make the Joker throw up his hands and say "screw it, I'm done here"?

I usually open up with spells from range and switch to a sword and shield once the enemy gets in range. Having a long range spell equip when something is right next to you is just a waste in comparison to what a shield can do. Hell, my blocking skill is only like 30 at the moment, but even when it was lower, just having a shield out basically let me negate most melee attacks.

Kinda hard for me to block when my hands are full of fireballs and lightning instead of shields.

So you cant block with a two handed sword?

I'm an archer. If I'm blocking, it's for the knockback and damage, not to mitigate. Doesn't give me skill ups, and it's not a skill I need to do my job.

My Light Armor skill, on the other hand, is something I do work on because the armor bonuses really add up. If things get hairy, I got a myriad of shouts, and Flame Atronach to handle most situations.

Most of the time, tho, the enemy is dead before he reaches me.

Montezuma's Lawyer:
In my discussion with friends and fellow players, I have discovered a disturbing trend.

Nobody is training Block.

Now, I can understand the appeal of dual wielding, or the fearsome power of a two handed weapon. But Blocking (to me) is without a doubt, the most useful combat skill for a warrior type character.

TLDR Version; Block = Awesomesauce

Training Block provides the following amazing benefits:

Quick Reflexes: Slows time when enemies attempt power attacks; this allows you to either interrupt them, attack before they land the hit, or move out of the way quickly, combined with increased movement speed from higher level skills in blocking, this becomes a way to easily overtake nearly ANY melee combat target, and even helps you avoid those nasty dragon bites.

It also allows you to interrupt those NASTY Giants when they attempt to send you to Cyrodil.

Elemental Protection: Notice how Quick Reflexes pretty much nullifies any melee enemy? Well this is for EVERYONE ELSE. Mages will have nothing to throw at you with this skill, even those previously disastrous fireballs and chain lightnings will wither on your shield. Having Trouble with Liches? Not anymore...

Elemental Protection also provides AMAZING protection from Dragon breath attacks, making you look like a total boss, taking a breath attack directly. (WARNING: Only the AWESOME should attempt this.)
Combine this talent with Shield of Ysgrammor, and you are nearly invulnerable to magic.

Shield Charge: Knocks fuckers down with easy, nuff said.

Please dont be a fool and ignore block, it will save your ass many times over.

My Dragon bone armour and potions are working fine thank you, even if the Dragon bone shield is pretty cool.

Count Igor:

cybran:
I want to duel wield shields.

if anyone get that unforgotten realms reference i will give you a candy :)

Dude. Duel wield rocks instead. You can never miss as a Lumberjack!

+ 1 rep

*gives candy*

What is teh bloq?

I uze teh Ward.

Nah I'm kidding. I think it's a very valid point. As someone who thoroughly likes Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, I definitely have learned the use of blocking! I happen to be playing a mage as my first char in Skyrim (90% of the time I play as a melee class), but when I get around to going toe-to-toe I'll for sure work on blocking.

My next character, a towering Nord, owes you his life sir. My current Dark Elf Battle Mage however, will soon be visiting you in the night, lest you give more guidance to his enemies.

But my hands are on fire.

Die butterflies, die!

MiracleOfSound:

Very true... I started the game focusing on destruction magic but around level 25 or so destruction starts to fall behind the levelling curve, so I'm pouring points into Block now as it seems far more useful.

The problem is that magic doesn't scale. Like, at all. You can increase spell damage by 50% MAXIMUM (Perk only). The only non-perk way to improve them is to reduce Magicka cost. But since enemies scale, Destruction magic will eventually become...I don't want to say worthless, but dual casting multiple Master level spells will barely keep you alive while melee characters can tank everything and one shot everyone, and rogue characters just run around doing 12000x backstab damage while being totally invisible to everyone with proper enchantments. (You think I'm joking, but I'm not.)

Count Igor:

MiracleOfSound:

Shirastro:
I can't block with my bow.....and usually don't need to :P

Actually, bows are quite effective at blocking!

targren:
Forgive my squirrely ignorance, but can't you block with a 2-handed weapon? You don't get the +def, but I know I've done it.

You can.

Montezuma's Lawyer:

Please dont be a fool and ignore block, it will save your ass many times over.

Very true... I started the game focusing on destruction magic but around level 25 or so destruction starts to fall behind the levelling curve, so I'm pouring points into Block now as it seems far more useful.

First off: You're awesome.

But to the point, I'm sort of in your situation - I'm level 22 with 72 destruction. I've got almost 500 magicka and have put nothing into health or stamina (because I'm silly like that).

Should I now focus on putting points into weapons/block/stealth/health - that kinda thing? Or am I slightly too far gone?

I ask you because A: you're awesome (did I tell you that?), and B: You seemed to be in my kind of situation. (If you mean level 25 destruction, ignore me.)

Danké.

...You're silly. I can cast Master-level spells for 0 Magicka. Can I laugh at your 500 Magicka now?

Eacaraxe:
My current character is a destruction-and-restoration tank mage. Between high armor rating, the ability to heal, ward if I'm taking damage, and lay down heavy damage of my own, I have absolutely no need for a shield.

My next upcoming character is going to be a stealthy illusion-and-conjuration mage. Who needs shields when you can just lay down levels of chaos that would make the Joker throw up his hands and say "screw it, I'm done here"?

I wouldn't recommend an illusion build. At level 35 or so (Forget the exact level), EVERY SINGLE enemy becomes immune to all illusion spells. Basically, it's a waste of time.

Shirastro:
I can't block with my bow.....and usually don't need to :P

This, that and everything else. I don't need no blocking if my target can't see me coming.

Nonetheless, OP makes a fair point, so on my third walkthrough I'll make a warrior :p

I used to use block but then i figured out i could spam fast healing while using bound sword and just bash on my enemies with out my health going below 80%

I prefer to run around with a one handed axe/sword/mace and the spell of choice for them moment in the other hand. Blocking is for cowards and doesn't give much advantages against Dragons in my experience :P

And isn't that what we're here for? The Dragon slaying!

I cannot get the hang of blocking, I tried it but it appears I'm simply too stupid, in that I keep dying, over and over. Now, duel swords though, that's where the real badassitude is. Once you've got the right perks in it, you can whirl in, whirl out, whirl in, do the awesome double power attack, then wait for the various peasent types to fall at your feet in awe. Or you could play warhammer, whose style can be summed up as, swing, if target not dead UR DOIN IT WRUNG!

Montezuma's Lawyer:
So... How does everyone consider defense for their characters?

Offense is the best defense! I'm playing my first playthrough on Novice (the "Very Easy") difficulty. That being said, mostly every enemy I come across gets shattered in one fireball.

Plus I'm also playing an Altmer mage, so if I ever take any real damage I usually have a crapload more magic left over with which to heal myself.

Ehm, considered the fact your friends don't play a Warrior? Cause that's literally the only "class" that a shield would be useful to. I play an archer, so most of the time it's a moot point for me, but even when I go melee, I go for a spell in the other hand.

Yes, blocking is useful. It's just that some of us like that hand for other stuff too.

Private Custard:
I use bears to train my blocking. I just stand there and take the hits until I get bored!

In battle, I rarely block though. My guys a fucking tank, a damage sponge of epic proportions. The only thing I won't take head-on is a Dwemer Centurion!

I run a traditional Spellsword character: light-armor, one-handed axe and lightning in my off0hand. I have never had trouble taking a Centurion. Do you wear mage robes?

HeOfMalice:

Private Custard:

I run a traditional Spellsword character: light-armor, one-handed axe and lightning in my off0hand. I have never had trouble taking a Centurion. Do you wear mage robes?

I wear full ebony, carry a bastardsword and rarely use a shield. I do have a little magica protection (around 20%), but my primary aids are my leech swords, which can hit with frost/shock/fire (depending on the weapon) as well as gaining me ten hp for every hit, no matter how soft the hit. So even when my stamina drops, I can still stay alive in a clusterfuck!

I tend to back off with the centurions and wear them down with a combination of shouts, basic destruction (lvl 26 I think) and stolen bows and arrows!

I'm an adaptable warpig!

A woman in the companions trains block.
You can even recruit her after you've finished the companions questline.
So you can train and take back the gold without stealing.

Montezuma's Lawyer:

SirBryghtside:
Oh no! People are playing in their own way, IN AN ELDER SCROLLS GAME! They must be losing!

Ein Svei, Ein Svei

It was more a of a rant really, but it needs discussion value.

I have enough Heavy Armor and Smithing that I can tank most major threats. I do break out a magic repelling shield for the gutless wizards who backpedel from the scary looking Nord, flinging ice spells.

By the Nine, I hate ice spells...

I don't have a need no stinkin' blocking! I use Restoration so much that I can easily heal most damage coming my way. Or blast/hack them to pieces for they can attack.

Impact. Why worry about blocking when my enemies are all staggering backwards?

Defense is for the weak!
I prefer to slay my foe in a single blow.

You're right! I should get two, and then dual wield shields! That's like...double the armor class!

Montezuma's Lawyer:

SirBryghtside:
Oh no! People are playing in their own way, IN AN ELDER SCROLLS GAME! They must be losing!

Ein Svei, Ein Svei

It was more a of a rant really, but it needs discussion value.

I just move out of the way :) Light armour and knives is awesome.

I'll get around to training block when I make my Breton shieldmage. As it stands now, I'll just play the characters I have that rarely engage in melee combat, or who frequently kill enemies in 1 hit because a few perks in 2h weapons and some sure grip gauntlets and Berserker racial for Orcs mean that I do roughly infinity damage.

Kopikatsu:
I wouldn't recommend an illusion build. At level 35 or so (Forget the exact level), EVERY SINGLE enemy becomes immune to all illusion spells. Basically, it's a waste of time.

I've done a bit of research on it myself, and that's without perks.

The level-increase perks add 22 levels onto the 25-cap of the master-level illusion spells (allowing you to affect level 47 targets), and apparently dual casting doubles that level cap on top of that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked