Factions/Guilds in Skyrim

Before I get to my main point I would like to go on record as saying I love Skyrim, it has my vote for GOTY, and that it (mostly) met or exceeded my expectations. Additionally, I appologize if this thread has already been made and would be much obliged if someone would direct me to it if it has.

However, I was majorly let down by the faction/guild system in Skyrim. My favorite parts of Morrowind and Oblivion were the guild system. At one point or another I had reached the top rank in every guild in both games. With that in mind, one of the first things I did in Skyrim was join the Thieves Guild. However, I was a little off put when, in just a couple hours, I had completed the entire Thieves Guild questline and was given no huge benefit from it. I hoped that this lack of content would be unique to the Thieves guild, and was saddened when, 10 or so hours later, I had completed the Companions, the College, the Dark Brotherhood, and the Rebellion questlines. I mean, with an estimated 300-400 hours playtime, I had higher hopes for this area of gameplay.

I was wondering if anyone else shared my frustration toward this aspect of the game.

Additional notes: I play on regular difficulty (whatever medium dificulty is). I started the guild quests after beating the main storyline and was level 10ish. Currently, I have logged over 50 hours into the game, completed all the Steam Achevements, and still have a ton to do. My only complaint with the game, here, is the guilds.

I've just gotten over my early GRAH I MUST EXPLORE ALL RUINS AND LOOOOOOT phase, and started on some of these quests. I thought it was strange that I've gone from errand boy in the companions to being admitted and learning their deepest darkest hairiest secrets in two quests.

I'm a mage, and I havn't even FOUND a mages guild yet.

I'm in the same boat. Went through the game on a sneaker, sword n board, 2h, and caster. (Conjuration + Archery the way to do it, btw, makes mastery just silly easy--alteration > light armor, too). Completed all the main guilds, rebellions on both sides, main quest, and all the daedra quests. The only thing I'd like to figure out is what happens when you collect all 24 barenziah gems.

thiosk:
I've just gotten over my early GRAH I MUST EXPLORE ALL RUINS AND LOOOOOOT phase, and started on some of these quests. I thought it was strange that I've gone from errand boy in the companions to being admitted and learning their deepest darkest hairiest secrets in two quests.

It's in Winterhold.

No frustration, no. Well, the very first time I joined one of those guilds (Dark Brotherhood) I was unaware of the horsecarts, so I spent a LOT of time hoofing it across the entire map and back before I started getting some points explored for fast-travel, but that wasn't a frustration with the Dark Brotherhood.

In fact, I've liked them all so far. I've done the main questline, Dark Brotherhood, Companions, College and Stormcloak stuff. I've liked them all. Their length is more than sufficient, -especially- given some of the difficult things you're to accomplish. (Depending on your own game difficulty setting of course). Killing a woman in the middle of a crowded city as she's giving a speech, then escaping? It took -everything- I had to pull that off.

Honestly, the reason it probably feels a bit shorter than Oblivion's stuff, is that Oblivion had this tendency to send you on tedious fetch/talk quests between the rest of them. I don't know how many beggars I've talked to in Oblivion, or how many times I've been 'searching for information' about things just because the damn quests won't continue unless I follow the script.

If you beat them all that quickly, you haven't really had much in the way of difficulty set up, because the combat alone should have kept you busy for longer. I've done them all (on different characters, because as I'm a roleplayer I don't find it making sense to have my warrior character do College quests or my assassin doing Companion quests and so on) except the Thieve's Guild stuff, and I'm on around 45 hours by now. Granted, that's with the main questline on one character, but still.

thiosk:

Having come from Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion (Arena being a different beast and not one I particularly enjoyed) -- I kinda knew what would be ideal from the beginning. Guilds + Daedra quests. In Skyrim the Daedra quests only give ebony based items, though, making the weapons (like molag bal, mehruns dagon, and meridia) nigh worthless if you can be bothered to do a bit of smithing (which if you use armor, its vital for upgrading alone, not to mention dragonbone...)

I've always fallen into min-maxing which drastically decreases the lifetime of games like these for me. Which is strange--because the best fight i've had in the game was with a melee (game is more fun as melee or melee + archery :P) doing the final fight of the 3 amulets quest. It's -really- good, better than anything in the main quest and I recommend it, but most random dungeons I explore are so blagh. Nothing compares to your self crafted / enchanted gear, really.

edit: If I had it all to do again, though, I'd have turned off those quest markers though. It really took a lot of the story, mystery and exploration out of it by having the quest markers on, but then again, waiting on an NPC who's bugged out on the road you're supposed to meet somewhere isn't ideal either.

I played for forty hours and did no more than three quests per guild/faction. And I have about fifteen quests and twenty miscellaneous objectives open in my journal. I have nothing to complain about.

Deviate:
If you beat them all that quickly, you haven't really had much in the way of difficulty set up, because the combat alone should have kept you busy for longer.

I've been playing on standard difficulty, though I started the faction quests at level 10ish and the combat didn't take too long. I beat the main quest before I started the guilds, and was well aware of the carts, so I was able to abuse fast travel to eliminate that tedious part of the game (I feel like I shouldn't force myself to walk for 10+ minutes just to get to the fun part of the game). Additionally, since it's my first playthrough, I didn't roleplay.

HeallunRumblebelly:
Nothing compares to your self crafted / enchanted gear, really.

This makes me very happy-- I ALWAYS play these games as an ultracaster with a penchant for enchanting and alchemy. I hoard all crafting items, and am slowly leveling up my various skills.

Hopefully all my dragonbones and scales will be useful for casting gear-- wishful thinking.

Dont tell me if it is, though. SPOILERS

I was frustrated with the fact that it toke me like 10 hours of gameplay for 5 complete story lines, When it toke 25 on oblivion and this may sound dumb but it toke this game 6 years to make but the guilds felt really rushed or even worse had been pushed aside for less meaningful things such as random NPC's or Dragon encounters. To add to this it also felt like there's no actual benefit for completing these storylines however in oblivion i felt like i was a master for those few hours after each guild.
PS. Before the hate pours in like rain just like to say Skyrim is probably GOTY

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked