Skyrim: Why do dragons still attack me after I've ***spoiler***

I must have missed something in the plot. Granted I probably didn't pay enough attention to it, but wasn't the whole point of defeating Alduin so that I could stop the return of the dragons?

Nothing seems to have changed at all after I've finished the main quest. Is there some minor plot point that I must have skipped over that explains this, or have I got it all wrong?

Yes there really is no closure given by the main questline, if you dislike dragons don't start it. You won't see as many then as they will most likely just be chilling at their little mountain retreats instead of hunting you down like they do after game.

It just doesn't give me much sense of achievement. Everyone I met in the game carried on about how I was the Dragonborn come to save them from the dragons, and it turns out I haven't achieved much at all. The moment I finished the main quest I came across an Imperial camp being massacred by a frost dragon. If I were the Jarls I wouldn't be happy with my job at all.

no, you stopped Alduin. that's the point. there are more dragons.

The problem is, if no dragons turned up after you killed Alduin then everybody would be like "WTF I liked the dragon battles now my game is boring!" and it would compel you to start again to make things interesting again.

Personally I think its fine that dragons are still about its not like they pose an apocalyptic level threat with Alduin gone, I mean have you seen one of those elder dragons try to take out the Mages Guild? Drops like a fly I tells ya!

Edit: PS Im not saying the dragon battles are the only interesting point they just spice up otherwise fairly predictable travels across the overworld. Never has simply walking through pretty forests been so tense!

Dragons, dragons, dragons. Skyrim woundn't be the same without dragons, killing me all over the show. Love the game. I think the Dragons have it in for the dragonborn and Alduin unleashed them before he dies. Welp off to play more of Skyrim, its midnight, I've been playing for like 15hours straight and Still going strong.

TrilbyWill:

Alduin didn't do anything then. He never attacked anyone, in fact he was hiding in a Valhalla-like place and I went to enormous trouble to find him. It wasn't Alduin who was problematic for the citizens of Skyrim.

While the dragons become repetitive, you always hold out hope for an elder dragon, provides a challenge.

Because fun takes priority to lore. That's the easiest explanation. All those dragons at the end could have beaten the shit out of you if they attacked all at once, but they chose to do the rain dance instead. So yeah.

I could have sworn Bethesda mentioned this at some point before Skyrim's release. Didn't they say something about the game not ending? Something about Dragons still being around after you finished the main quest? I could be wrong of course but I could have sworn they mentioned it.

In a sense, Dragons by their very nature are like Politicians, except extremely wild. They don't like the fact that they were dead for so long, and a good number of them would rather be back on top ruling the world than even think of being on the level with the Mer/Bretons, and Nords/Imperials.

So in a sense, despite losing the First Son of Akatosh, Alduin the World-Eater, they still choose to destroy the world one lesser being at a time!

I actually don't find much wrong with it. If I were a dragon who was set on being on top, I would go out and kill anything I see to prove that point as well, including the heavily armored being who may very well be the lesser being who killed Alduin by shouting profanity at Him.

Blood Brain Barrier:

TrilbyWill:

Alduin didn't do anything then. He never attacked anyone, in fact he was hiding in a Valhalla-like place and I went to enormous trouble to find him. It wasn't Alduin who was problematic for the citizens of Skyrim.

Alduin is the Nordic God of Destruction, and he's the one who brought the dragons back.

The same reason you generally still have to deal with the enemy army even after killing their commander.

As far as the plot goes; yeah you're the Dragonborn, you kill dragons. Alduin is going around resurrecting dragons, which is bad.
But later on you find out that he is literally Armageddon. Alduin is the end of the world. Reason enough to focus on stopping HIM, and any dragons that wanna go around attacking people afterwords is relatively small change.

TrilbyWill:

Blood Brain Barrier:

TrilbyWill:

Alduin is the Nordic God of Destruction, and he's the one who brought the dragons back.

So I kill him because he brought the dragons back, and not to get rid of the dragons? I got the impression everyone just wanted the dragons gone. I still think that there should be an expansion to provide the opportunity to eliminate the dragons once and for all.

Alduin was eating the souls of the dead, and working himself up to destroying the world. That's what was stopped. A few remaining flying fire-critters aren't really an issue compared to the end of the world.

Blood Brain Barrier:

So I kill him because he brought the dragons back, and not to get rid of the dragons? I got the impression everyone just wanted the dragons gone. I still think that there should be an expansion to provide the opportunity to eliminate the dragons once and for all.

I think he was supposed to bring the End Times and devour people's souls.

Damned if I know how those End Times would come though. It's a pretty flimsy plot. It starts all epic and then Alduin drops like a fly. They should have either ended the game after the main plot or just made dragons much more rare.

Every time I fast travel there's a dragon there. It's gotten to the point where seeing and killing them is tedious and annoying which I think might have been the opposite of what they wanted. Dragons are special for a reason - they are rare and powerful. Seeing them everywhere is the same as with a horror game in which the more enemies you see, the less scary it is. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Skyrim made dragons boring for me.

TrilbyWill:

I never really felt the threat from Alduin, hence I had no sense of achievement after I killed him. Of his character model had been bigger - not as big as Akatosh in Oblivion, certainly, but, nonetheless, bigger - and we had witnessed him wipe out a town Kvatch style, then yeah, it would've been pretty great. As it was, killing him felt pretty pointless, and there wasn't even any loot.

They aren't all going to disappear when Alduin is defeated and not all of them are going to be happy with Paarthurnax's 'Way of the Voice' I also think given that they're a very prideful race plenty of them are going to want to test themselves against the Dovahkiin.

Blood Brain Barrier:
I must have missed something in the plot. Granted I probably didn't pay enough attention to it, but wasn't the whole point of defeating Alduin so that I could stop the return of the dragons?

Nothing seems to have changed at all after I've finished the main quest. Is there some minor plot point that I must have skipped over that explains this, or have I got it all wrong?

The real reason: So you can finish off any Shouts you haven't learned yet and/or make Dragon armor.

The plot reason: Some dragons still followed Alduin's ideals and weren't convinced to side with Paarthurnax. They're still out there randomly attacking people and laying waste to various villages. These are the ones that attack you.

That said, I really kinda wish they'd stop. I have several full sets of Dragonbone (and Dragonscale) armor, I've learned every Word for every Shout currently in the game, and I have another 30 Dragon Souls just sitting there. Once the mod tools come out I'm probably going to make a couple of shouts, but until then I'm stuck with way too many souls.

I think this is good news.

Is not a single environmentally concerned Bosmer around?
Poor little dragons, to be hunted for souls, skins and bones. They are an endangered species. You should be proud you are not the very Dragonborn who killed the last one of them.
Don't need to repeat the tradgedy of the Dodos again, or that of the Whales we are facing right now but keep losing...

Blood Brain Barrier:

TrilbyWill:

Alduin was hiding in Sovngarde to eat souls to replenish his power after you kicked him in the teeth at the throat of the world.It's a "kill him while he's weak and recuperating" thing.

As far as what menace he represented, true he didn't attack directly but he was the one ressurecting dragons.Think of it like a tank factory, would you rather blow up a factory or a single tank ?

It's also (imo) the reason there's still dragons afterwards, they don't want to accept partunaax (sp?)rule so they do what they do best (fuck shit up) but on their own terms.As far as being anticlimatic goes, you destroyed the source of their coming, what's left is stragglers, there's gonna be no more "new" dragons, just whatever's left.

So you did good work, what's left is mopping up.In a game point of view anyways (i know there's gonna be infinite dragons anyways but you know...)

Blood Brain Barrier:

Could you change the title of your thread to take out the spoiler? I've had a few complaints about it already, and I'd rather not do it myself because that would be rude. :/

Mekado:

Blood Brain Barrier:
[quote="TrilbyWill" post="9.326011.13319585"]no, you stopped Alduin. that's the point. there are more dragons.

It's also (imo) the reason there's still dragons afterwards, they don't want to accept partunaax (sp?)rule so they do what they do best (fuck shit up) but on their own terms.As far as being anticlimatic goes, you destroyed the source of their coming, what's left is stragglers, there's gonna be no more "new" dragons, just whatever's left.

I like this idea personally. Massive dragon civil war, because when you get the "Call Dragon" shout, the one you call talks about who is going to lead the dragons once Alduin is dead. Perhaps upcoming DLC involves the Second Dragon War(tm) and a possibility of an influx of new Blades as a third possible winning group.

those Dragons are remaining Dragons just kill them all then you are done.

If you listened to NPC's who were giving you the main quest you would realize that the goal was to stop Alduin (greybeards and blades) and Parthannax (Blades) since those Dragons were controling all the rest and would have waged war on Tamriel. without them the other dragons would be leaderless and more of a nuisance than a main threat like the bandits are. Alone they wont be attacking cities as a unified group but as individuals attacking farms and small towns.

As for the Jarls they were not really involved and knowledgeable on your quest to stop them, though they knew you were out to stop the dragons they may not have known the details. you were seperate from them and they aided you when they could such as in Whiterun but they did not get involved in the plans on who and what would be happening. In other words the Jarls did not controll the main quest.

Now since the dragons are leaderless they are attacking more often because there is no set plans to wipe out the people, no mustering of the forces to take out Solitude or whereever the first main target is. instead a dragon sees a village they see a target of oppurtunity and they take it just like a bandit sees a wagon on a road they see loot. No army of dragons but instead scattered throughout the land.

Open up a chain of Kentucky Fired Dragon restaurants

Bobbity:
I never really felt the threat from Alduin, hence I had no sense of achievement after I killed him. Of his character model had been bigger - not as big as Akatosh in Oblivion, certainly, but, nonetheless, bigger - and we had witnessed him wipe out a town Kvatch style, then yeah, it would've been pretty great. As it was, killing him felt pretty pointless, and there wasn't even any loot.

So I am not the only one then? I'm relieved to know because all I got was the impression that he was reviving his buddies which in truth was a favor handed down to me. Why? Look what Alduin did for me overall

- Saved me from getting my head chopped off.

- Revived dragons for me to gain souls for shouts.

- Led me to meet Paarthurnax, my all time favorite character in the game.

- Gave me a chance to see how Salvanguard looks like and meet up with old time friends

So overall Alduin is all pro factors for your character. He doesn't seem like someone I would go out of my way to kill unless I just wanted to end the main quest. They should of had him attack Whiterun destroying it. That would of made me very ticked off since that's my favorite city. Or if he killed Paarthurnax, oh man... someone's going down.

Since when do the Elder Scrolls games "main plot" lines ever have any sense of closure? Even in Oblivion, the most you get from helping defeating Mehrunes Dagon is a set of armor that is tossed away for something better later on, and the "Champion" title that you hear seldomly from Imperials..

Even though I haven't gone to face Alduin yet in my game, everything leading up to it so far in terms of interaction with NPC's and the world itself doesn't really seem bothered by it save for the occasional "Oh my, did you see that dragon earlier? ..Excuse me, I need to tend to the laundry now." -_-

Then again, that's just me. (*prepared for the flaming of many Bethesda fanboys for daring to criticize Skyrim in any way, shape or form that I felt was lacking..*)

Yeah this game really does leave much to be desired in terms of closure. I think I got more world changing closure from the legion/storm cloak quest. Sad when a side quest does more for you.

Honestly I think I deal with more dragons after the quest end. It's a bit annoying and occasionally the ancient dragons eat my lunch, other than that they really just cliff racers you can force to land and fight like the land lizards they are.

Blood Brain Barrier:

TrilbyWill:

He went to Sovengarde to eat souls and gain all of his strength to kill you. Once he did that, then the world ends.

Besides, Dragons mix things up a bit. Despite people saying their "Repetitive" I find them fun when you are not hiding behind a pillar, firing an arrow, then ducking behind the same pillar. Its litterally like their playing the ending boss of Mass Effect 2.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked