So I was Ungodly Underwhelmed By Skyrim...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Yesterday a friend of mine brought over Skyrim and we played it for a good 4-5 hours. I felt like I got a good handle on the basic core of the game. And well I felt like it wasn't very good. I did 6 quests, a few side quests and cleared a few dungeons and nothing. I felt like It was just Oblivion, just not as fun. The Dark Brotherhood, what I played of it was nothing compared to that of Oblivion and I felt like the world was not as immersive as Cyrodil. On a High note the graphics were beautiful and the scenery was pretty. I can't wait for this Engine to be used in the Next Fallout game.

So after my mini rant does anyone feel the same way? I was going to wait to buy the game next year as a GOTY edition but now I'm not even going to buy it at all.

Also yes I'm a Modern Warfare, Saints Row, and Fallout fanboy

all i have to say is there is already a thread for this other than i understand your opionion and yes it probably would be awesome in the next fallout game

I really don't want this engine used in the next Fallout game. I don't see this dual-wielding focus translating well at all.

Would it be possible to use the Rage engine for Fallout, do you think?

20 hours in, Skyrim has been a roller coaster for me: sequences with dragons are supremely jaw dropping, but the overabundance of inconsequential take away from the epic feel of the story.

Freaky Lou:
I really don't want this engine used in the next Fallout game. I don't see this dual-wielding focus translating well at all.

I havent gotten a chance to play Rage is it any good? I downloaded the Demo on Xbox Live, But I never played it I'm going to play that later today.

Yeah well I just got to literally the highest point of the game and all I can say is its proberly among the 3 greatest things I have ever played in my (short) life.
Still each to their own.

I got bored of it and I think I have under 3 hours.

Hey guys, you know that popular thing? The thing a lot of you are talking about? Well, *I* didn't like it. What do you think about that, huh? Huh? Let's discuss it in a new thread.

Angus Young:
I havent gotten a chance to play Rage is it any good? I downloaded the Demo on Xbox Live, But I never played it I'm going to play that later today.

Well, it's gorgeous, and the character animations are excellent. That being said, the impression you might've gotten of a big, open world is entirely false--it's a very linear game. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it's also kinda short (despite coming on 3 discs for Xbox.)

As a rule, everything there is good, there's just not a whole lot of it. Worth your time but not worth $60, basically.

It's just not your cup of tea, fellow. That's fine. Don't worry about it. I feel the same way about Fallout 3, but I've given up days of my life playing Skyrim and enjoyed every minute of it.

You don't have to like it. Lots of people don't. However many other people do. They'll pay the money to finance the next TES game, and you can have a crack at that one when it comes. Maybe it will be more to your liking. I hope it is.

BloatedGuppy:
Hey guys, you know that popular thing? The thing a lot of you are talking about? Well, *I* didn't like it. What do you think about that, huh? Huh? Let's discuss it in a new thread.

True. But there has been plenty of blah blah Skyrim is the greatest game ever made come join me in this circle jerk of praise blah blah threads.

It be nice to see no Skyrim threads really.

Lots of people who liked Oblivion are hating Skyrim. Happens with every TES sequel - hell, it doesn't even matter what series.

We had a very catchy little comic from Critical Miss recently, perfectly proving that you're probably not the only one feeling that way.

Other than that, I do understand your points. Skyrim has many flaws and after 120h of playing (according to Steam) my addiction to it is finally growing thin enough for me to spend some time posting this on the Escapist.
The freedom has been restricted severely. Others may think the games doesn't break so quickly but I personally think it suffers a huge amount of limitations to avoid these exploitations.

To Skyrim's defense, slaying dragons was never so awesome before and topping Oblivion's Brotherhood missions seem to be quite an impossible feature.

Complete opposite for me.

Oblivion was boring, damn near all quests outside the dark brotherhood sucked, and there was no point at all to going through dungeons. They were boring, same-y, and just not fun. This is to say nothing of the mannaquin-esque NPC's of Cyrodiil.

Skyrim's dungeons are fun to go through. It's NPC's feel more alive and different. It's landscape is FAR more varied and interesting then Oblivion's could ever hope to be. And it just feels more "alive". NPC's and guards react to you, what you're wearing, what you're doing. NPC's who are your friends don't try to kill you when you take one of their potatoes. The cities feel like actual cities and not glorified small villages. The animations are far, FAR better than Oblivion's, hell, they've finally added a diagonal running animation. Enemies don't level up with you, which creates an actual sense of getting better, and not having certain enemies simply disappearing from the world.

And it's far less buggy than Oblivion, which is just great.

Oh, and it automatically sorts books in bookcases and you're weapons/armor on weapon wracks and mannaquins. Which is simply the greatest thing for anyone who wants to decorate their home.

Freaky Lou:

Funny thing about game engines is that they have no impact on game mechanics at all. They are after all simply the tools that power the graphics and physics. Fallout 3 and Catherine both use the Gamebryo engine. Please educate me as to the game mechanics that both games are forced to share.

Highly unlikely. Consoles only have so much GPU and RAM to utilise. The Rage engine focuses all its energies in rendering linear areas in high amounts of detail. Open world games like Fallout need to render much larger, non-linear areas for the player to explore. Due to the limitations of console hardware, as well as the sheer amount of effort/man hours required, logic dictates that these areas will be rendered in lesser detail.

Just because Rage and Fallout share an aesthetic vibe, it doesn't mean either game engine would suit the other well at all.

My main problem is the combat, it's pretty fucking terrible. Melee lacks impact, playing a stealth type character forces you to abuse the faulty stealth mechanics and mages are fun for all of about 10 seconds until you run out of magicka and are forced to run around waiting for a bar to regenerate. It's almost exactly the same as Oblivion, it's just sugar coated with prettier animations and death cams. It's sad to see the combat held back so much in a game with such a rich atmosphere. The insanely dull perks don't help either, I've gotta be lv70 in Archery just to get +30% drawing speed? That shit should come at lv30 or something, why can't I have the ability to control arrows midflight or fire 2 arrows at once that deep in the tree? 15% chance to paralyse? Shit just got real.

I'm still playing Skyrim, but I'm getting bored. I'm hoping a revamp of the combat will be released when the tools to make such a mod are.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Funny thing about game engines is that they have no impact on game mechanics at all. They are after all simply the tools that power the graphics and physics. Fallout 3 and Catherine both use the Gamebryo engine.

Huh, I didn't know Catherine was built on Gamebryo. Anyway, while that is a relief, it's probably still not an engine that'll lend itself well to shooter mechanics---you say engine has no impact on that, but FO3 had really awful shooter mechanics and had to use VATS to compensate. Maybe that's Bethesda's fault (After all, New Vegas was better--though still not any good as a shooter), but still, I'm skeptical.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Highly unlikely. Consoles only have so much GPU and RAM to utilise. The Rage engine focuses all its energies in rendering linear areas in high amounts of detail. Open world games like Fallout need to render much larger, non-linear areas for the player to explore. Due to the limitations of console hardware, as well as the sheer amount of effort/man hours required, logic dictates that these areas will be rendered in lesser detail.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Still, if Fallout must be a shooter, I'd like to see it at least done with decent shooting mechanics.

125 hrs in according to Steam and I've been having a blast. Haven't even finished the main questline through yet (although I did lose 4 days worth of saves from having to do a system restore)... so much faffing about to distract me.

Another Skyrim thread?

Sorry, couldn't resist. New Gif I made, had to use it.

Freaky Lou:

You know just because they might use the Skryim engine doesn't mean they'll involve duel wielding

BloatedGuppy:

Your sarcasm is undeniably the greatest form of wit I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

Freaky Lou:

The engine determines graphics, not gameplay.

Hell, people have made racing games with the Starcraft 2 engine.

Was it your character? I don't think I could get involved in the game unless I was playing my own character and I knew I could keep playing.
If someone let me play an RPG for like 5 hours I think I would struggle to get into it rather than owning it myself and playing it for 50 hours now and nowhere near feeling burned out.

Your opinion I just don't think that's a good way to get into an RPG. If you don't wanna play it though that's fine.

What I don't like about the Elder Scrolls game is their characterisation, and combat.

If there could be a strong, directed, character based story at the heart of the game, it would be great. However characters are the least important thing in Elder Scrolls games, and that's how I feel games come alive - if the characters aren't good, I just feel alone in this vast lonely world...

Also the combat needs a major overhaul, every Elder Scrolls game I've seen just looks floaty, no weight to the weapons or combat...just click click click, there seems to be no impact in the blows like there are in other games.

Freaky Lou:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Funny thing about game engines is that they have no impact on game mechanics at all. They are after all simply the tools that power the graphics and physics. Fallout 3 and Catherine both use the Gamebryo engine.

Huh, I didn't know Catherine was built on Gamebryo. Anyway, while that is a relief, it's probably still not an engine that'll lend itself well to shooter mechanics---you say engine has no impact on that, but FO3 had really awful shooter mechanics and had to use VATS to compensate. Maybe that's Bethesda's fault (After all, New Vegas was better--though still not any good as a shooter), but still, I'm skeptical.

Chalk it up to the fact that Bethesda and Obsidian have never made shooters before. Creating a shooter that feels fluid and natural to control is a fine art. It's taken developers like Valve, Bungie and Infinity Ward a long time to perfect that sweet spot where a shooter feels just right with a controller. Considering that Bethesda and Obsidian both come from RPG backgrounds, it's no surprise that they're less than familiar with the ins and outs of what makes a fluid feeling shooter. Hell, look at Bioware. Mass Effect was their first attempt at a shooter, and for all its positives, the actual shooting mechanics were pretty crap.

If you look at some of the more popular engines out there, you really start to see how it's the developer, not the tech, that defines how a game feels to play. The Unreal engine was created with FPS' in mind, but it's been used for everything from third-person shooters to stealth games to RPGs.

It's good to see someone else who agrees, especially on the Dark Brotherhood quests in comparison to Oblivion.

Story is flat, Characters are flat, So Skyrim ends up as a another loot gathering game, Kind of like a Diablo game in 3D.

To be honest, the "we" probably impeded your fun. I don't know about you guys but this game screams single player experience to me and if anyone else is there then that takes away from it. Like a good book or film, having to be social takes away from the experience.

You could obviously still find it underwhelming even after playing it alone but I suggest giving it a go at least.

Ubermetalhed:

BloatedGuppy:

True. But there has been plenty of blah blah Skyrim is the greatest game ever made come join me in this circle jerk of praise blah blah threads.

It be nice to see no Skyrim threads really.

As someone who is on the fence I'd like to see more negative skyrim threads that isnt drowned out by defensive fanboyish reactions or the subject of pointless negativity so I can get a more accurate estimate if this game is for me.

Honestly, for a gaming discussion site, escapist is terrible in that regard.
I mean you still can't even say "i hated da2" on this site without being ganked by a people saying how much your wrong and you "dont get" the obvious masterpiece that is da2, for bioware can do no wrong.
Actually that's a bad example as there's enough people who feel that way for me to blend in and not get singled out on that.

Only when I started checking other sites such as something awful did I start reading well constructed arguments as to both the qualities and faults of skyrim and picking up snippets that applied to me and my specific tastes.

Now i've come to realize that if fallout new vegas and skyrim came out at the same time and one wasn't hyped over the other, i'd probably have gone for and enjoyed new vegas more as it caters more to my specific tastes then skyrim does.

I'll still end up getting skyrim at some point as its the only ES game that might sucker me in, but has dropped off my "must buy now" list and will wait until there the mod community gets cracking so i can tinker the game to my hearts desire.

Freaky Lou:

Funny thing here is that Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Counter Strike: Source and Company of Heroes use the same physics engine (The Source engine is slightly modified) so the engine doesn't really matter that much in regards to how the game will turn out. Though the RAGE (Rockstar Advanced Gaming engine) engine is awesome when it comes to ragdoll effects. Still id tech 5 is quite cool too.

kenu12345:
all i have to say is there is already a thread for this other than i understand your opionion and yes it probably would be awesome in the next fallout game

Oh please. Like redundancy didn't stop everyone else from flooding the front page of the forum with a dozen Skyrim topics.

I think reading through this thread has actually made me physically ill. Now that OP's suspended, can we all just agree that:

A: Nintendo has terrible 3rd party support.
B: The Wii doesn't have the same hardware as the 360 or PS3.
C: Nintendo can still make great games in-house.
D: Lots of awesome games came out this year, including one Wii game (Skyward Sword)

Good, we all agree on that? Awesome.

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm totally in the wrong thread, lol. Disregard all of that.

Atmos Duality:

kenu12345:

Oh please. Like redundancy didn't stop everyone else from flooding the front page of the forum with a dozen Skyrim topics.

sir the flooding of the threads of skyrim has been predicted for centuries by our ancestors!
jk but really when i posted that there was literally a thread completly visible in the recent post section heck its even in the popular threads.
Plus teh skyrim ones are more varied than this is why i dont like it.

Poor melee combat is basically a hallmark of the TES series, and I was disappointed to see that little has changed in Skyrim (I do like the shield bash, however). Mount & Blade has far superior fighting mechanics

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked