26.9% (39)
Fanboy is a word we could do without
24.1% (35)
24.1% (35)
Fanboy is (a combo)/something else entirely [comment]
13.8% (20)
13.8% (20)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: "Fanboy" - generic insult, accepted terminology or just another word? Your thoughts.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I'm going to try to keep this short.

I am getting a bit fed up of the label "Fanboy" which seems to be knocked about on Youtube videos and gaming forums alike. In some instances it's being used as an insult towards users who defend a game they enjoy, while in others people are willingly admitting themselves to be a fanboy of that game series. Now I find it to be a nuisance when it comes to leaving an opinionated comment anywhere game-related.

I enjoy AAA titles such as Halo, CoD (up to 4), Battlefield, GTA, Saints & RDR and The Elder Scrolls - but should I go on a Modern Warfare 3 trailer, watch it, state it looks inferior to Battlefield; and I'm getting called a fanboy (as an insult) by many members of that community and told to go fuck EA or something. I merely stated my opinion and while I used to think CoD was the bees knees, I was more of a fan to Battlefield anyways, so how does that work as an insult?

The other version is where I go on, say, a Skyrim video on another website; I see comments saying it's going to be GotY and whatever, but someone comments "Fucking fanboys play shit games" to which another replies something along the line of "so what, we're fanboys of a good game". In my eyes both of these definitions surely cannot exist at the same time. I mean, "gay" 50 years ago meant something completely different to the meaning of "gay" now (unless, of course, we change the spelling of "fanboy" into two same-sounding words, making it a bit like how "whether" is to "weather").

I've even come up with a definition as derived from the two contradicting versions of the word:

Fanboy noun - a label given to a person of pure dedication to the game series at hand, defending it from criticism and showing undying loyalty to the development team of that game.

Duel contexts: an honourable label or a bloodthirsty insult.[1]

We've all got a developer we fucking love, as do we have more than one favourite game created by more than one development team, thus rendering "fanboy" as a term completely useless; but does that back up that this term even needs to exist, or is it still just a full on insult or a label over your head of which you could be proud with?

[1] yes that was brazen of me but hell, not often you can define your own words! let me know your versions down below!

It's a marginalization, like any other category we try to use for our pidgeon-holing processes.
And since it's the Internet, it isn't even true half the time; so I'd categorize it as an insult.

Ah the youtube comments section, magical place where every brat has the liberty to show just how bratty he is.

"Fanboy" and "hater" are only used by fanboys and haters. If you are neither you shouldn't care too much about being called one, let alone feel insulted.

Hmm, so far equal scores. >:|
Not helping, *forced laugh*

It's just another word.. when people call me a fan girl, I don't get insulted. Hell, I'm a self confessed AC fan girl. Don't see why I should let a certain label people give me get me down. I enjoy the games.

Fanboy has become just a general insult though it's mostly used to try and discredit someone who raises a valid point against a game by that games own fan(boy.)

Though it does have its use. Fanboys are people who are so up a game / developers ass that they throw tantrums if you so much as hint that their beloved isn't as good as they think. They piss, moan and complain at review sites if a game isn't given a perfect 10 / 10 no matter what the reviewers opinion on the game is.

I think it's used increasingly as an insult. Personally I equate it with the kind of fans who will dogpile any dissenting opinion.

Thankfully I don't see much of that behaviour here at The Escapist.

It's become an insult, though not a major one. It's just a backhand used by someone who wants to win an argument without going through the trouble of having a point or using facts.

It's become sort of an insult with the intent to marginalize someone's position. Paint someone as fanboy and suddenly nobody supposedly has to listen to their opinion. Annoys the shit out of me.

I find there is a difference between a fanboy and a rabid fanboy. A fanboy just just has an unhealthy obsessed with something he likes and doesn't care for your opinion. It's the BEST THING EVAR to him but he can still recognized people don't think the same way as him. A rabid fanboy is one who attacks you for not liking it.

Qitz:
Fanboy has become just a general insult though it's mostly used to try and discredit someone who raises a valid point against a game by that games own fan(boy.)

Though it does have its use. Fanboys are people who are so up a game / developers ass that they throw tantrums if you so much as hint that their beloved isn't as good as they think. They piss, moan and complain at review sites if a game isn't given a perfect 10 / 10 no matter what the reviewers opinion on the game is.

This .

There is a difference between being a FAN and a fanboy . Fanboy is an insult , a person who no matter what will defendthwir favorite anything to the death even if the couter arguments are valid . A fan is a person that admires something to a great extent .

Fans often call themselves fanboys ( like the previous poster who said she was a fangirl ), but they really aren't unless they dismiss any argument against the game and hold it up on a pedestal bashing any game that isn't "THEIR" game . Maybe it's an attempt to make the term less insulting , but a fan is a fan and a fanboy is a fanboy.

I use the term 'fanboy' to denote someone who is so into a given game/series that they refuse to see any wrong in it. If you like a game but can at least acknowledge its flaws, then you're just a normal, regular fan. But if you pretend that whatever game you like is 100% perfect and refuse pointblank to listen to any criticism of it, then you're a fanboy.

The same goes for 'hater' as well. You can dislike a series/game no problem, and just be someone who doesn't like a game. But if you blindly hate everything about a game, refuse to admit that it has any redeeming features and deliberately gloss over the good to blow the bad out of all proportion, then you're a hater.

Basically someone who does/does not like a game can at least see why people with a different opinion to theirs could come to their own conclusions. Fanboys and haters cannot, or will not.

It is a word that in and of itself is not negative, but is often used as a negative, particularly by "fanboys" from other perspectives in a vain attempt to prove oneself somehow "more correct" by comparison. Fanboyism is used most often in relation to video games and game franchises, but is not restricted to them.

Fanboy, alt: fanboi, n:

One who vehemently defends a single point, product, brand, or perspective without regard to objectivity or rational thought, especially on the internet.

See also: nerd, geek, liberal, conservative, nationalist, patriot, sports fan, elitist, religious, atheist, and sheep.

Grouchy Imp:
I use the term 'fanboy' to denote someone who is so into a given game/series that they refuse to see any wrong in it. If you like a game but can at least acknowledge its flaws, then you're just a normal, regular fan. But if you pretend that whatever game you like is 100% perfect and refuse pointblank to listen to any criticism of it, then you're a fanboy.

The same goes for 'hater' as well. You can dislike a series/game no problem, and just be someone who doesn't like a game. But if you blindly hate everything about a game, refuse to admit that it has any redeeming features and deliberately gloss over the good to blow the bad out of all proportion, then you're a hater.

Basically someone who does/does not like a game can at least see why people with a different opinion to theirs could come to their own conclusions. Fanboys and haters cannot, or will not.

I couldn't have said it any better myself, so I won't even try.

I would, however, like to add that it doesn't HAVE to be a negative word, it's mainly the connotations and inflections that go along with it that have ruined it, much like other, now considered derogatory, terms.

"a fanboy" is Swahili for "pissing me off" can also mean "enjoy pissing other people off". It should all make sense now.

Seriously, though, I always took it to mean "blind devotion". Now, whether you see that as a good thing or a bad thing is relative. Some people consider being a fanboy (blind devotion) of a franchise as a way to show how much they trust the developers with the franchise - or something along those lines. They are paying some sort of homage with it. Others consider a fanboy (blind devotion) of a franchise to be full of many negative aspects and thus hurl it as an insult.

Both views are strangely valid in their own right. People who use it as an insult are usually just trying to invalidate someone else's opinion by calling it uniformed or being on a crusade for the game. (aka blind devotion) Self professed fanboys are usually trying to express their desire and faith in the success of a title as a franchise based on their tastes. (aka blind devotion)

Depends on the intent.

I call myself a fanboy, and a lot fo my gamer friends throw around the word fanboy just mean 'big fan of.' I am a Halo fanboy, an XBox fanboy, a Harry Potter fanboy... In these cases it's just a word that we use.

However, when I'm online and I admit to being a fan of Halo, I get called a fanboy and it's undoubtedly an insult.

So the word can be both.

King of the Sandbox:

Grouchy Imp:
>snippage<

I couldn't have said it any better myself, so I won't even try.

I would, however, like to add that it doesn't HAVE to be a negative word, it's mainly the connotations and inflections that go along with it that have ruined it, much like other, now considered derogatory, terms.

True. I have noted that fans of a series are happy to refer to themselves as fanboy/fangirls. The connotation there seeming to be simply 'a big fan'. It tends only to be when one person calls another a 'fanboy' that the term takes on its more militant meaning.

Sixcess:

Well then you my friend, should try saying something negative about Skyrim. Is it as bad as youtube/IMDB/Dtoid, no, but we DEFINITELY have a fanboy presence here for that game.

But at the same time, if you label yourself a fanboy it doesn't really carry a negative connotation. I would happily describe as a PS1 fanboy for example.

Just like any label, it can be used negatively, some people think of themselves as e.g. geeks, whereas others would consider it an insult. Personally, I have no problem with the word, and in fact an 'anime fangirl' would probably be a better label for me than any other :D

We need the word as Fanboys exist.
These people will argue beyond all points of logic to defend their series or devs they are a fanboy of.
However, I think there is confusion between fanboys and people addicted to games/rely on games to fulfil their insecurities...or maybe they are the same thing? That bit I am not sure about yet.

Tin Man:

Sixcess:

Well then you my friend, should try saying something negative about Skyrim. Is it as bad as youtube/IMDB/Dtoid, no, but we DEFINITELY have a fanboy presence here for that game.

But at the same time, if you label yourself a fanboy it doesn't really carry a negative connotation. I would happily describe as a PS1 fanboy for example.

As one of the most vocal defenders of Skyrim, I have to disagree. I know the game isn't perfect, far from, but it's the MOST perfect game for what I want out of it. As such, while yes, I am vocal about my love of the game, and I defend unjustified or trivial criticisms, I like to think I've not been 'ravenous' or a 'zealot' about it.

So, yeah. I think that might have been a bit of hater behavior there, my friend. But it's cool, as I prefer the positive connotation of fanboy, I'll let it slide. ;)

My only real problem on this site are contrarians. UGH.

Fanboy is something idiots use to degrade someone who likes games that they don't. Who cares if they refuse to see anything 'wrong' with a game? It's their opinion, they don't have to.

I'm an unabashed Thief 2 fanboy, and I don't really care what flaws others might perceive that game as having. Why should I begrudge someone else that stance just because it's about Halo, or Skyrim, or whatever?

PS3 fanboys would recommend Uncharted to those looking to buy the console.
PS3 gamers would recommend Uncharted to those looking to buy the console.

Did you read both sentences and feel they were identical in meaning?
Probably not. It's likely the second sentence conveyed a more neutral or positive feeling than the top one.

I consider the word 'fanboy' to be an insult...while not being insulting, I can't remember the last time I've seen the term used in a context that didn't imply negativity.

Bvenged:

We've all got a developer we fucking love

I do not. I simply enjoy a variety of games from a variety of developers and publishers. I do have some publishers I do not like very much, but unfortunately they are the big fish in the pond and it's rather difficult to get away from them.

I suppose I used to "fucking love" Rare back in the N64 era, but that's about as close to really liking one single dev as I've ever been.

...anyway... Fanboy is to me simply an insult - or at least meant as one. Of course some people will try to turn it around and make the insult sound like a compliment, but we all know it was meant to hurt. I don't think it's good to be a fanboy/girl of anything whether a game or a restaurant or whatever. It's unhealthy. You should always question the value of the next big title.

Then again, I would be tempted to call myself a PC fanboy, but the reality is that I also like my PS3 and respect that consoles are a decent gaming platform. I just know that PCs are by far my own personal preference.

King of the Sandbox:

So, yeah. I think that might have been a bit of hater behavior there, my friend. But it's cool, as I prefer the positive connotation of fanboy, I'll let it slide. ;)

You know what, that may actually be fair... If I can be said to be a hater of anything, it wouldn't be Skyrim, it would be of Skyrims fanbase lol. You seem alright, but to be honest I was sick of so much as *seeing* the work Skyrim months before it even came out, and the fact that it's very good has just made huge numbers of people go absolutely mental on it, and very, very vocal... It's mainly how in completely unrelated conversations, someone will almost always chirp in with how awesome Skyrim is...

Tin Man:

King of the Sandbox:

You know what, that may actually be fair... If I can be said to be a hater of anything, it wouldn't be Skyrim, it would be of Skyrims fanbase lol. You seem alright, but to be honest I was sick of so much as *seeing* the work Skyrim months before it even came out, and the fact that it's very good has just made huge numbers of people go absolutely mental on it, and very, very vocal... It's mainly how in completely unrelated conversations, someone will almost always chirp in with how awesome Skyrim is...

Oh, I can relate completely. Let me tell you how with these three little letters.

M. L. P.

/shudders, then raises flame shield

Thing is, once someone mentioned how it was like Power Puff Girls to me, I had to relent that I was merely annoyed by it's massive presence, and not the style or show itself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still touchy around... 'bronies'... but I try and contain myself.

Also, kudos to you for not being a contrarian. ;)

It's just a word to describe something, so I don't see anything particularly horrible about it.

Then again, I rarely get offended and tend to think quite lowly of people who do...

ResonanceGames:
Fanboy is something idiots use to degrade someone who likes games that they don't. Who cares if they refuse to see anything 'wrong' with a game? It's their opinion, they don't have to.

I'm an unabashed Thief 2 fanboy, and I don't really care what flaws others might perceive that game as having. Why should I begrudge someone else that stance just because it's about Halo, or Skyrim, or whatever?

The issue is that people use fanboy as a quick way to get out of a debate, but this does not mean that fanboys are not real.
Here is an example:

Non-fanboy: " I like Skyrim because it is very large, in depth, great character customisation etc".
They give an opinion followed by a reason.

Fanboy " Skyrim is best GAME EV0R!!!"
"Why? I don't like it because of x,y, and z."
Fanboy " OMFG, fuck off trooooooooooooooll!!!!!"
The fanboy gives an opinion and can not back it up so resorts to insults.

Basically, if someone can not reason their opinion then they are a fanboy (or playing the game for reasons besides having fun).

Jimbo1212:

Basically, if someone can not reason their opinion then they are a fanboy (or playing the game for reasons besides having fun).

We already had a perfectly good, one-size-fits-all word for people like that: idiots.

The vast, vast majority of people who get 'fanboy' tossed at them do not act like that. In fact, 'fanboy' usually isn't even used directly at someone, it's often a hypothetical straw man used to dismiss a differing opinion. "Oh, you COD fanboys are just too dumb to understand X game. Go back to your console toys." It lowers the level discourse, and since the discourse is often already pretty abysmal on sites like this, anything we can do to make it a little better is a good thing. Banning the word completely like Steamforums did would be a good start.

Basing your facts and beliefs on comments on Youtube will give you a wrong impression.

Being a fanboy means you're oblivious to flaws in the game, series or console you are a fanboy of. You will compare it with obvious bias and not know much about the things you compare it to except for the fact that it sucks. They are often unable to accept that people don't like it even thought they voice numerous genuine complaints and will insult them for not loving it.

Fanboy is an insult to anyone who's overly emotional about their favourite game(s). Now I am in love with Saints Row 2, but give me 5 minutes and I can say plenty of bad things about it.

ResonanceGames:

Jimbo1212:

We already had a perfectly good, one-size-fits-all word for people like that: idiots.

The vast, vast majority of people who get 'fanboy' tossed at them do not act like that. In fact, 'fanboy' usually isn't even used directly at someone, it's often a hypothetical straw man used to dismiss a differing opinion. "Oh, you COD fanboys are just too dumb to understand X game. Go back to your console toys." It lowers the level discourse, and since the discourse is often already pretty abysmal on sites like this, anything we can do to make it a little better is a good thing. Banning the word completely like Steamforums did would be a good start.

But you are not allowed to call someone an idiot either, yet these fanboys & idiots will shout down anyone with a valid opinion as sadly the stupid out number the smart.
Although when I first came to these forums, fanboys, idiots, and trolls were rarely an issue...

Ah, I suppose I just live and let live, there's not much to be done about it. It's like all those times people call me a fag online, despite me clearly not being a bundle of wood.

Jimbo1212:
But you are not allowed to call someone an idiot either, yet these fanboys & idiots will shout down anyone with a valid opinion as sadly the stupid out number the smart.

Who are "these fanboys and idiots" of which you speak?

How on earth do you determine whether or not an opinion is "valid"?

What metric are you using to separate "stupid" from "smart"?

This, right here, is why you need to moderate name calling on internet forums. Because we're all biased, emotional chowderheads when we debate, and we always think THE OTHER GUYS are "fanboys and idiots", that only opinions that align with ours are "valid", and that WE'RE the smart ones, outnumbered by all those morons too thick headed to properly bask in the light of our magnificent intellects.

I always just own the word. I'm a BioWare fanboy, a Zelda fanboy, an Obsidian fanboy, and am on the path to becoming a Platinum Games fanboy.

Seriously, if people have such a problem with you loving the things you love, then why not just own it and troll them with it?

What makes this matter even remotely annoying is when Fanboy is used as an insult, that person's opinion is suddenly marked as worthless.
After all, he's just a fanboy, what does he know objectively.

Well, for starters, he knows he enjoys the game.
Has fun playing it.

I have been called a WoW fanboy, for simply saying I enjoyed the game. which let me to the following conclusion.
Because people can't seem to grasp that other people enjoy other things, other things they themselves might not enjoy or even dislike, they have to rationalize why such person holds such 'radical' believes, and must therefore be a blind fan of the series. Who us unable to hear the wise words of the people with the 'right' opinion.

Same of course for Fangirls.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked