Racism in Skyrim?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I first realised this just after I picked a race. I chose to play as a Nord which immediately brought the guard with the check list great joy. He was also very taken aback when after he gave his "Norse power" speech the front woman still ordered me to my death. This made me realsise that this game might have a slight Norse supiriourity thing going.

After surviving the dragon onsluaght I was sent to Riverwood, where another man sent me to Whiterun. When I reached Whiterun the first thing that I encountered was a squatter camp filled with Khajiit. I went closer and over heard two of them talking about how the Nords would not let them into Whiterun because they think all Khajiit are rapists and theives. They then went on to say that all they are trying to do is raise a family.

When I entered Whiterun I saw a group of Redguards being herassed by Whiterun guards. The guards where going on about how the Redguards only wanted to come in to rape children and abduct woman to sell into slavery. When I went up to one of the Redguards, he said that they where just looking for a friend and if I could help.

Things like this kept happening throughout the game, and I didn't make a post about it earlier because I thought Yatshee would bring it up in his review of Skyrim but he didn't. So I want to know if I am the only one who has experienced this racism, and if you have, share your tales of witnessed racist actions within Skrim.

Of course. It's everywhere.

It's happening because there's a rebellion going on between the Empire and the Stormcloaks. Stormcloaks want all non-nord occupants out of Skyrim. Empire wants to keep things the way they are. Makes sense in-universe. And it's pretty much why I didn't join the Stormcloaks.

Though I agree it's not too subtle, but then again considering Nord culture, subtlety wouldn't be one of their strong suits.

Go to Windhelm. Plenty of racism there.

And the guy talks about your "norse power" no matter what race you are. Just replace "Norse" with "Imperial", "Orc", "Argonian", and so on and you get the idea. Supposed to make you feel good about choosing your class. Seems I was mistaken. Some races he talks up, some he insults. Still, the reasons for which are seeped in the lore, and bottom line is that basically everyone hates each other. More or less.

Irridium:
Of course. It's everywhere.

It's happening because there's a rebellion going on between the Empire and the Stormcloaks. Stormcloaks want all non-nord occupants out of Skyrim. Empire wants to keep things the way they are. Makes sense in-universe. And it's pretty much why I didn't join the Stormcloaks.

Though I agree it's not too subtle, but then again considering Nord culture, subtlety wouldn't be one of their strong suits.

Go to Windhelm. Plenty of racism there.

And the guy talks about your "norse power" no matter what race you are. Just replace "Norse" with "Imperial", "Orc", "Argonian", and so on and you get the idea. Supposed to make you feel good about choosing your class.

I just ant to say, Whiterun is neutral and not part of the StormCloaks. Though they are more for the Imperial side so..go figure. Both sides are racist.

Games with different background for NPC's and characters being "racist" isn't new.

Fallout 3 has discrimination against gouls for being gouls. In fact any mythological game like Skyrim/Dragon Age etc is going to have groups of people coded to hate other groups for the crime of being alive. Otherwise you would have an entire game of acceptance and love and we can't have that can we?

I gets a little bit intense because when ever you are in combat with a different race they always use these Racial slures that the Bethesda team made up. It kind of gives you a whole apartheid feel.

"So I want to know if I am the only one who has experienced this racism..."
Your forgetting the golden rule. Furthermore these Redguards are looking to abduct a woman... hah.

well you might argue that it is speciesism rather than racism as I don't think the human's and the mer can inner-breed. Also the nords only seem to really dislike emperials because emperials abuse the nords. They don't seem to be very any redgaurd for example.

But I'm just being pedantic. Yes, there is a very strong "Skyrim for the Nords" theme.

Heh I have never played as a Nord. Don't plan to. I beat the shit out of the racist drunk in Windhelm. I smiled for the rest of that day...

NOOOOOOOO! REALLY? Duh, were in Skyrim, land of the Nords. They dont like strangers, especially with the whole civil war dealie going on. I was Imperial, and he seemed pretty friendly to me.

Oscar Ben Newton:

When I entered Whiterun I saw a group of Redguards being herassed by Whiterun guards. The guards where going on about how the Redguards only wanted to come in to rape children and abduct woman to sell into slavery. When I went up to one of the Redguards, he said that they where just looking for a friend and if I could help.

lol, I've yet to finish that particular quest so I don't know what their true intentions are, but you do see pairs of redguards every now and then harassing women for whatever their reasons are. Whatever it is, it's definitely not something as honest and friendly as "looking for a friend".

Anyways, as a Dark Elf. I just make a point of murdering every single person who bad mouths me for it. Maybe the rest will learn.

I dont mind the hate between the imperials and the Nords, but when it comes to opressing the Khajiit, Its just wrong, It is like animal abuse. They are a minority being stomped on by the strongest group in the realm, the Nords. Its just sad I guess, Hahaha!!!

That squatter camp is a roving band of Khajit merchants. Its the caravan and they sell some useful stuff from time to time. They don't raise children on the caravan because it is too dangerous.
The redguard they are kicking out tried to kidnap a girl(investigate the quest) and were disturbing the peace. They were special operations troopers from Hammerfell.
As for nord power yeah its more of a national pride thing than a superiority thing. While some of ulfrics cannnon fodder think nords are superior to all things you forget what they hate the most. The high elves that think they are so superior that humans and other mortals need wiped out. The one that want the civil war dragged out as long as possible to maximize human casualties and increase the odds of destroying them utterly and completely.
Fucks sake visit an Orc stronghold. They hate everyone. Thalmor patrols want to kidnap you and torture you so you will confess to something you did not do; they hate humans as an inferior species THAT FUCKING MUCH!

Oscar Ben Newton:
I first realised this just after I picked a race.I chose to play as a Nord which immediately brought the guard with the check list great joy. He was also very taken aback when after he gave his "Norse power" speech the front woman still ordered me to my death. This made me realsise that this game might have a slight Norse supiriourity thing going.

After surviving the dragon onsluaght I was sent to Riverwood, where another man sent me to Whiterun. When I reached Whiterun the first thing that I encountered was a squatter camp filled with Khajiit. I went closer and over heard two of them talking about how the Nords would not let them into Whiterun because they think all Khajiit are rapists and theives. They then went on to say that all they are trying to do is raise a family.

Things like this kept happening throughout the game, and I didnt make a post about it earlier because I thought Yatshee would bring it up in his review of Skyrim but he didn'nt. So I want to know if I am the only one who has experienced this racism, and if you have, share your tales of witnessed rasist actions within Skrim.

Wouldnt intolarance of Khajiits be Specism, and not Racism?

Racism has been a key feature in every TES game so far, although maybe I've experienced it more than most since I always play as Argonians. I think it's pretty cool, really, and adds an extra dynamic of relationships between my character and the NPCs. Honestly I'm as racist as the Nords in that game, since I always try to avoid harming fellow Argonians even when I have no qualms with massacring entire towns of other people. It just makes me feel so guilty when they clearly trust me, and call me their friend (or marsh-friend) and I kill them anyway.

Also if you think the people of Skyrim are racist you clearly haven't played Morrowind, where Argonians and Khajiits were commonly enslaved and put to work, and practically everyone thought they were "lesser" beings.

I didnt join the stormcloaks for this reason as well as seperating the empire into regions would just lead to more war. and I really dislike going to windhelm for anything and the game seems to dislike me owning a house there since it wont give me the blood on ice quest so I can buy a house even though I have the buy a house quest. everytime I hear that guy say he goes to the grey quarter and tells them what he thinks i want to draw my sword and slice him him up. yeah i dont like racists...

Oscar Ben Newton:
Hail Snipsis

Lore time:

The Nords and many elf races have been fighting each other since the dawn of time. The Falmer are a direct result of this constant fighting (they were the original Skyrim elves who were driven underground for millenia where evolution took a nasty turn with them). The Nords even managed to conquer Morrowind for a time before being pushed back to Solstheim by Nerevar and the Tribunal gods (they were just elves back then).

The Nords are generally distrustful of all outsiders but the Imperial hatred is a little more recent due to the banning of Talos worship (due to the Imperial peace treaty with the Thalmor). Since Talos was originally a Nord man, the Nords took special offense to this .

The Khajiit have never been trusted by other races in general. Most Khajiit have an inborn tendency to be thieves and bandits. Of course, not all of them are bad but enough are that it became a stereotype for the entire species.

Those Redguard warriors (we're talking about the Ali'kr right?) are not supposed to be in the city. Whiterun is supposed to be on lockdown due to the Dragon threat and you are the only exception to that rule since you brought first-hand report of the Dragon attack on Helgen.

Irridium:
And the guy talks about your "norse power" no matter what race you are. Just replace "Norse" with "Imperial", "Orc", "Argonian", and so on and you get the idea. Supposed to make you feel good about choosing your class.

I dunno about you guys but I usually play as a Dunmer. All I got from that guy was a bit of pity and a comment about the Gods abandoning my people.

I have been to an Orc stronghold and things got a little bit dirty, they really are very rasist and speciasist, but like I said earlier I dont mind the large groups hating on eachother. Its when it comes to opressing a minority that it gets to me.

I have yet to encounter rasism, racism yes some characters are indeed RACIST

Purple Dragon:
I have yet to encounter rasism, racism yes some characters are indeed RACIST

Oops my bad! Haha, Thanx for correcting me.

Morrowind had slavery! It depicts racism, which is differant to being racist.
I think that this is fairly realistic, I mean all the differances we have mostly come down to color, but between Nords, Kajiits, Bosmer and Argonians, you can't be suprised if stereotypes are formed. I mean, I didn't play Oblivion, but Morrowind was full of "Dunmer Supremacists"

Word of advice.
Dont go to windhelm, the dark elves have to live in a alley, the argonians live in a bunkhouse outside the city, its led by Ulfric who hates anyone who isnt a nord and most the peopel there do too!

I believe Morrowind had it a bit worse. With racism, slavery etc.
Fun times. But hey! It's war and society! WhoO

Oscar Ben Newton:
I have been to an Orc stronghold and things got a little bit dirty, they really are very rasist and speciasist, but like I said earlier I dont mind the large groups hating on eachother. Its when it comes to opressing a minority that it gets to me.

Wait what? If anyone is a minority it's the Orcs. They are a small nation that's constantly being invaded and sacked. Besides speciesism has always been a big part of the elder scrolls since each species has their own province they usually want to keep outsiders, well, outside.

Tigurus:

Of course a N'wah would say that, the Dunmer just want to be left alone you S'wit.

Think of it like this:

Nords, the predominant race within Skyrim, is happy, fine and dandy until the Empire outlaws Talos Worship. This causes them to think about EVERYTHING. To them, they see the Empire's actions as using Skyrim as a sort of Refugee Camp for the Dunmer, whom have had to basically evac their home because of something, i forgot what. This is basically forcing a brand new race to take refuge in a place that was originally 95% Nord, 95% Frostbite Spider, 2% wolf, 2% troll and bear, and 1% everything else. Thats like USA in the current state of affairs. the people from the Latin countries are rushing to America, trying to find solace and jobs, strangling us of our own in our own home [which we took in the first place. BUT THAT ISNT THE POINT! so don't bring it up!]. Its forcing us to rapidly change our ways, how we act, how we speak, how we so much as think, so that we can accomodate these new people, whether they are here rightfully or not. [which, i believe, is what happens to your character in the beginning. Trying to Border Hop or some snot *shrug* REGARDLESS!]

Basically, there is going to be a SHITTON of racism within Skyrim. [besides, the Whiterun-Redguard incident isn't about race, its about the A'likr causing trouble trying to find their target.]

AAAAANNNNNNDDDD the only race that the Nords are pretty much opening hating on is Dark Elves, whom are flocking to Skyrim and any open Province like hungry wolves on a wounded elk.

The fuckin weird part is.... I've never encountered any open hostilities by the Stormcloaks to me on either my Argonian, or my Dark Elf. They seem pretty nice and normal around me O.o. Theough every time i see Rolff and he even so much as speaks i beat the shit outta that racist prick xD

Sorry, no offense but I detect some hiliarious bias here...

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
That squatter camp is a roving band of Khajit merchants. Its the caravan and they sell some useful stuff from time to time. They don't raise children on the caravan because it is too dangerous.

They sell unrefined drugs like Moon Sugar to anyone who cares, quite clearly they are not welcomed to establish a Skooma Drug Cartell inside a Nord city. I remember a Kajit lass who blantaly told me she has
"legal disputes in both Elsweyr and Cyrodil"
Local Townguard Alistair disapproves -15

Anyway Barbaric Nords all have some serious drinking issues already (among other failures) a Moon Sugar trader would make things much much worse.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
The redguard they are kicking out tried to kidnap a girl(investigate the quest) and were disturbing the peace. They were special operations troopers from Hammerfell.

Or they were just a police force with an arrest warrant trying to capture a known female terrorist who sold out an entire city full of lovely buxoms Redguards to the Nazi-THALMORs!!!
She probably commited High Treason and fled to Skyrim. Do you believe them titties or them guys?

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
As for nord power yeah its more of a national pride thing than a superiority thing. While some of ulfrics cannnon fodder think nords are superior to all things you forget what they hate the most.

What's different between national pride and racist's superiority, especially in a game where each country consists of a very different race with distinctive features. In this peciuliar case its the same.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
The high elves that think they are so superior that humans and other mortals need wiped out. The one that want the civil war dragged out as long as possible to maximize human casualties and increase the odds of destroying them utterly and completely.

They are the secondary antagonist of this game. The Nazi-Sidekick-Villain of the Spy movie. Once you had a good look at those Nords in Windhelm you can't really blame them, still they are Nazis and their heads look nice on a pike.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
Fucks sake visit an Orc stronghold. They hate everyone.

Really? It was one of the few places where I thought you were measured by your prowess in battle rather than you skin color. Probably suceeded some Speech checks there, please specify.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Thalmor patrols want to kidnap you and torture you so you will confess to something you did not do; they hate humans as an inferior species THAT FUCKING MUCH!

As I said before, while they are most likely an intriguing antagonist I can't really blame them, I would be the same after one week together with the Stormcloaks.

You must be new to TES games. The Redguards were the ones harassing, not the other way around. Since Whiterun was on lockdown, they were clearly going against the law. And the Khajiit outside were a merchant caravan, not being oppressed at all. If you want racism, head to Windhelm.

Tigurus:

That is true, I cant remember a single time in Morrowind where I saw a Khajiit or Argonian that wasnt a slave. Why are those two groups hated so badly by the other groups?

Wow.. I guess not too many play as Redguard eh? Always fun having a general good store clerk outside of Dragonreach offering to buy one of my relatives.

Oscar Ben Newton:

Tigurus:

That is true, I cant remember a single time in Morrowind where I saw a Khajiit or Argonian that wasnt a slave. Why are those two groups hated so badly by the other groups?

They're the 'beast races', and have always been seen as primitives by the elves, who occupied Tamriel long before the human races showed up.

griffinith:
Wow.. I guess not too many play as Redguard eh? Always fun having a general good store clerk outside of Dragonreach offering to buy one of my relatives.

he does that to everyone >.> Its also a joke. Its a play on the current day's salesmen claiming they can buy anything cheap and sell it for a massive profit

I'm not really sure what the point of this is... because we need to turn to Skyrim to see shocking examples of racism and prejudice?

While playing as an Argonian, at least one shop keeper will jokingly (or is he) offer to buy members of your family.

Aethren:

Oscar Ben Newton:

Tigurus:

They're the 'beast races', and have always been seen as primitives by the elves, who occupied Tamriel long before the human races showed up.

So the reason for all the hate against the Khajiit and Argonians is exactly like what happened in South Africa, or well any country that was colonised by a colonial power. The Colomial power comes into a country that is not theirs and stomps on the natives?

I used to be rasist like the Nords. Then I took an arrow in the knee.

Yep, racism abounds in Skyrim, damned Nords think they can push me around.... I am Breton and proud, and I would sooner fight 10 Draugr Deathlords without being able to Fus Ro Dah them off a cliff then leave Skyrim because some pansy with braids in his hair and an over-compensatory axe told me to.

There's racism in the entire series, and it's awesome. It adds tension to events and when you overcome said racist it makes it feel more triumphant.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked