EA now issuing permanent Origin bans through content filter

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

MaximumTacos:

Would you guys like me to livestream a chat session with some other currymongling support drone? You can watch me give my account information and watch him go through his little script.

I seriously suggest you stop with the racism, even if you are telling the truth that's not going to help your case.

MaximumTacos:

Would you guys like me to livestream a chat session with some other currymongling support drone? You can watch me give my account information and watch him go through his little script.

And you expect us to believe you weren't banned for a legitimate reason? Yeah I don't buy it... if I were an admin and saw someone speaking like that in a place where offensive language is clearly against the rules I'd ban you too. If they take away peoples' games then it's just more of an incentive not to be a prick. There's probably a line in their TOS that says they reserve the right to restrict access to your account fully.

I just don't believe the automatic word filter thing, customer support would sort that out in a second. All you'd need to do is give a link to the thread.

Expensive Associate:

I seriously suggest you stop with the racism, even if you are telling the truth that's not going to help your case.

Bit late for that, that line made him out to be exactly the type of person they'd ban.

cyrogeist:
and this is why im a console gamer...
OT:honestly that's total bullshit...but hey...it's EA they only want your money

Because retarded bans and the manufacturer even bricking a console over very similar things is unheard of in console land :rolleyes:, there even was some thread a few months back someone made for "funny Live bans" that contained very similar situations and they apparently also found "funny"...

I'd rather stay with the PC where you still have a control over your hard/software and just largely stay away from platforms trying to restrict your freedoms.

Pearwood:
customer support would sort that out in a second. All you'd need to do is give a link to the thread.

Can't. BattleLog forums are tied to account and require an account to view. I can't go on them anymore. You can, however, go browse the forums and see people using profanity in nearly every single post.

Expensive Associate:

What race is curry?

I totally support EA in banning for forum conduct..however..it really does need to start making sure that it is transparrent and accurate with its bans. Also, it needs to make a reliable method of appealing those bans.

Plz let this be a troll thread. Cant believe they're that stupid.

Craorach:
I totally support EA in banning for forum conduct..however..it really does need to start making sure that it is transparrent and accurate with its bans. Also, it needs to make a reliable method of appealing those bans.

You support EA permanently restricting access to all EA games which require internet access for singleplayer, based on forum conduct?

MaximumTacos:

Craorach:

You support EA permanently restricting access to all EA games which require internet access for singleplayer, based on forum conduct?

I believe it is time that gaming companies as a whole started holding people responsible for their behavior on forums AND in multiplayer games.

While I, personally, do not feel that they should go as far as to ban from the single player aspect of games.. I support the idea that participating in the forums is being part of the community. EA should be banning people who treat others badly both on their forums, and in their games, from their entire service as should all other gaming companies.

I am against the banning of single player games, because I am against ALL interaction of single player games with online components except to patch. Single player games should opporate entirely without any online interaction being required, from the box, as soon as you buy it, 100% without the need for patching or updates, without fail, every time. But that is a rant for another time.

Well, that's certainly a controversial view, but you used logic and I think your post will pull more people into the thread, so... high five :)

Signa:
I think it would be hilarious to abuse this policy, especially if I don't actually own any EA games.

hmmm. This could be a fun way to really mess with EA. Sign up an throw away account and then put in a line of 35 swear words followed by the screen name of everyone you can find on the forum.

Craorach:

MaximumTacos:

Craorach:

I believe it is time that gaming companies as a whole started holding people responsible for their behavior on forums AND in multiplayer games.

While I, personally, do not feel that they should go as far as to ban from the single player aspect of games.. I support the idea that participating in the forums is being part of the community. EA should be banning people who treat others badly both on their forums, and in their games, from their entire service as should all other gaming companies.

I am against the banning of single player games, because I am against ALL interaction of single player games with online components except to patch. Single player games should opporate entirely without any online interaction being required, from the box, as soon as you buy it, 100% without the need for patching or updates, without fail, every time. But that is a rant for another time.

So it is your opinion that private companies should inact codes of conduct based on well whatever the hell the feel like and then inforce those codes of conduct with real financial consiquences without a judicial review process and oversight?

So I just looked you up on Battlelog OP... You're not exactly the friendliest person on their forums it'd seem. Also, in your chatlog to EA, you don't even mention anything about how their system fucked it up and you got banned for someone else's post. Thus, (even though hating EA is real popular and all that) I'm inclined to say you're holding something back. I honestly won't believe EA banned your account because someone typed some nasty words and put your name in there.

Now, I'm not saying I'm all for EA and banning accounts, even going as far as blocking you from accessing singleplayer content cause that's just bullshit, but suspending people for a few days up to 2 weeks because they haven't learned to make proper posts on an internet forum is just fine with me.

Wait wait...did he get banned for swearing at you or did you get banned cause he swore at you? If it's the later...then I don't want to live in this sick world anymore.

Oh and guys, since I don't know if anyone noticed this:

EA adds free extras, now EA forum bans include bonus ban from Bad Company 2!*

http://i41.tinypic.com/x5t8c6.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2i1jt5k.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2aeuq7l.jpg

*Feel free to use that as a blog post title. ;)

That's right. Banned from BF3 forums? Catch a retroactive ban from Bad Company 2 as well!

EA's customer service CEO, Niarb Sreltih, says that there was no rule stating that EA could not do this, similar to there being no rule that they couldn't hire brains in jars.

BoTTeNBReKeR:
So I just looked you up on Battlelog OP... You're not exactly the friendliest person on their forums it'd seem. Also, in your chatlog to EA, you don't even mention anything about how their system fucked it up and you got banned for someone else's post. Thus, (even though hating EA is real popular and all that) I'm inclined to say you're holding something back. I honestly won't believe EA banned your account because someone typed some nasty words and put your name in there.

Now, I'm not saying I'm all for EA and banning accounts, even going as far as blocking you from accessing singleplayer content cause that's just bullshit, but suspending people for a few days up to 2 weeks because they haven't learned to make proper posts on an internet forum is just fine with me.

I didn't post the full chatlog. I posted the shocking highlights.

What about the guy who was banned for saying e-peen?

What about the guy who was banned for saying badass?

Why the surprise?
What the hell did you expect from people that brought you Origin EULA spying license?

As stated a million times, but just to be sure it is heard: DO NOT BUY PRODUCTS FROM SHADY DEALERS. Yes, EA practices definitely put them under shady heading.

Until then, if you buy product or services from them, you had it coming.

jthwilliams:

So it is your opinion that private companies should inact codes of conduct based on well whatever the hell the feel like and then inforce those codes of conduct with real financial consiquences without a judicial review process and oversight?

It is my opinion that people should actually bother to agree with things they click "I Agree" too, and that in a private company's private property (forums, online services, etc) they should be able to demand semi decent conduct.

Thanks. I appreciate the warning.
I'll never buy anything from Origin (or requiring Origin) aslong as they can take away the games from customers arbitrarilly (or randomly).

You'll be doing the gaming community a favour if you tell your story in more places than just here the Escapist.

veloper:
I'll never buy anything from Origin aslong as they can take away the games from customers arbitrarilly (or randomly).

You'll be doing the gaming community a favour if you tell your story in more places than just here the Escapist.

Got any suggestions or bloggers I could go to with my story and evidence?

I think this is awesome, maybe now you people can get a whiff of why Origin is actually not that great... to put it nicely.

Contact RockPaperShotgun.com

They will be quite pleased by your story.

We lost peter moore to these guys.. that saddens me.

kikimaru024:
Contact RockPaperShotgun.com

They will be quite pleased by your story.

yes, do this^
If what you're saying is true and you're not holding back stuff to make yourself look innocent, that is. Otherwise it might get a little embarrassing.

MaximumTacos:

veloper:
I'll never buy anything from Origin aslong as they can take away the games from customers arbitrarilly (or randomly).

Got any suggestions or bloggers I could go to with my story and evidence?

I don't have much use for bloggers, but Edge magazine is has pretty large community, while not as as big as IGN or gamespot, it's cleaner there.
You could try their forums as a starting point:
http://forums.next-gen.biz/
Maybe contacting the editor for a piece, could also be a good idea.

Not holding anything back. Like everyone else who got into BF3 from the midnight launch I cursed in BF3 forums until I got a warning from a mod. Then I stopped. That was quite a while before this*, and the forums are still filled with people who say things. Also, the phone support guy told me that even if I had quoted someone who was in violation, I'd be the one in trouble, so, derp.

(*I can back all of this up with timestamped emails... and damn, it has been a while since the release)

This isn't about that, though, this is about the total lack of access to even SINGLEPLAYER portions of games I paid for, because of a suspension from the BF3 forums.. which results in a suspension from BattleLog.. which results in a suspension from singleplayer.. and there's a bonus suspension from all EA games, including Bad Company 2 that I BOUGHT THROUGH STEAM.

Also the suspension is a permaban according to alakhazar or whoever.

It's quite beautiful in it's retardness, actually.

Coming soon to the Origin Store: Unban your account!

Pay us $10 for to undo the permanent banning of your account for the minor forum post you made!

I'm calling it.

I'm not surprised at all. At first they tried to sneak in a clause in the EULA that inactivity for 2 years was enough of a reason to delete access to all games. They changed that later, but it is clear that they want full control.

Don't buy any EA games is the best advice I can give.

I don't... Understand. The whole 'banned from single player' is bullshit, yeah, but surely the more important issue here is that someone else did something EA didn't like but you got banned for it??

I mean, sure, it might be that they were too harsh or they had no reason to ban for that or they broke the rules or whatever. But this is all irrelevant because you should have never been banned in the first place. Isn't that a more important issue?

MaximumTacos:

Angad: Please note that your account [maximumtacos@gmail.com] has been permanently terminated from the Electronic Arts Online service for violating the terms of services. The account will no longer be accessible in any way, and all property, items, and characters associated currently are or will soon be deleted.
Angad: Is there anything else I can do for you?

I posted the rest here as I don't want to be spamming the forums with it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.323783-Questions-Still-Swirl-Around-EAs-Origin-Bans?page=4#13389462

What do you guys think about this?

The violation in question was someone making a post, cursing at me, with my username at the end of their rant. That's right. You just have to swear at someone now and EA's automatic filter does the rest.

Hmmm, well my first question would be what the guy was swearing at you for. Their database might only compile accusations under very general headings, so being put in the same catagory as swearing might actually be from player harassment or whatever that wasn't being recorded.

That said, my issue with this kind of thing is that there is no human review involved. I also admit to some concern over what is going to happen with "Old Republic Online" when the game finally launches given the generally rowdy behavior of people involved in MMOs.

As far as the guy suggesting they get taken to Small Claims Court, the problem with that is that first the courts have to agree to hear the case. Secondly if you lose a case like that you can get hit by the other guy's legal fees... and since you can't afford to hire a lawyer for a $50 payout, you'll be representing yourself against a legal representitive from a big company that is going to hit you with his fee. That's why companies don't get nickeled and dimed to death this way.

This is also why class action suits exist, when everyone gets together to hire a lawyer to represent the situation as one case, making the potential payout sufficient for the lawyer being hired to take a percentage of. It's harder for a big company to intimidate it's way out of, and it's also why a lot of EULAs are making people sign away their rights to a class action suit. Whether the EULA could stand there is questionable, but the bottom line few people are going to be able to hire a lawyer to fight that point.

-

Overall I can't fault what EA is doing, I mean we've all probably wished at one time that these companies get more hardcore with the banhammer... however an automated banhammer causes as many, or more problems than it solves. The issue is that EA doesn't want to spend the money to hire what amounts to their own police force, or put a human review system into play as it would cut into their profits unless they basically raised the prices of their games even more and pretty much slapped us all with the bill and people wouldn't stand for that. Basically EA isn't going to cut into it's hundreds of millions in profit for the sake of the customers. The idea is good, the implementation is ruined by greed.

I imagine this will come to a head with Old Republic Online.

Pandabearparade:

Sixcess:
What is wrong with EA? Just... what is wrong with them?

The answer is actually pretty simple: You.

Well, not you personally, but the collective 'you'. People who buy their shitty games and accept their shitty service are the reason EA can continue to do things like this.

Sadly true. Thing is I don't even mean just this thread (the OP is rather abrasive so there may be more to it, who knows) but it seems like barely a day goes by without EA doing something horrible. It's like they watched that Extra Credits episode and decided that they want the entire gaming community to hate them.

It can't just be that they're a huge company who have to deal with a lot of customers. Steam is huge and doesn't get anywhere near this level of bad press. even Activision are looking good next to EA these days.

Zhukov:
Your best course of action would be to spread this around. Spread the fuck out of it.

This, specifically make a thread in 4-chan. Let's see if we can get some Anon action on this shit.

Mekado:

MaximumTacos:
Still no access to singleplayer content, or anything else in my Origin account.

Every. Single. Piece. Of. Content. In. Origin. Is. Locked. Out.

Am now almost bored enough to dig up personal cell numbers of CS executives at EA. I will keep you updated.

If EA are jerking you around may i suggest filing a complaint with the BBB (better business bureau)? they're actually quite good at making shifty manufacturers reverse "fu*k the customer" decisions.

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/video-games-wholesale-and-manufacturers/electronic-arts-in-san-francisco-ca-64196/file-a-complaint

I love when people tell others to post on the BBB which mind you is a fraud. You can just pay a fee and get a A+ on it. Doesn't matter what history your company has had.
There is also this where restaurant owners have sometimes gotten ONE single complaint and the company was put on the worst rating even though the client had taken back his complaint and gotten on good terms with the company. They had to pay to get back to their A+ rating.

People signed up well known Terrorist groups as a company and gotten an A+ rating just by paying for it.

But the biggest thing about BBB is that most gamers will not give a damn about someone posting one single complaint on the BBB.
Even people looking for a publisher won't read the BBB. Reporting on it will not change a thing.

If the Topic actually got banned for just quoting someone then there is a problem. Might been a mistake as it happens.

But for most of the time it's just those massive trolls that get temp banned and maybe they will stop trolling the forum then. Because they deserve everything bad they get.

Sixcess:

even Activision are looking good next to EA these days.

Damn, I hadn't even thought about it but you're right. Activision hasn't done anything to piss me off in over a year. Maybe one of the major shareholders shoved a sock in MR. Kotick's mouth?

Fuck EA and all that they stand for. They allowed my EA account to be accessed by a total stranger via email and gave them a new password allowing them to log into my xbox profile and charge 125 dollars worth of DLC bullshit for Fifa 12. I smell a class action lawsuit in their future. I may have to avoid ME3 because of this nonsense.

Depending on how many games you had on there I would go ahead and file a law suit. No seriously, consult a lawyer and take it to small claims court because Im pretty sure they're doing something illegal here

Day 2. I sent them a link to this thread.

No contact from customer service.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked