Best/Hidden Gems - Wii Games?

Recently I began expanding my Wii library beyond Smash Bros and Zelda. I have played and traded many Wii titles (mostly the first-party Nintendo titles) but kept very few due to the amount of games on the market at the time.

Now as the holidays roll around I will have some extra pocket change and am looking to pick up some gems that I may have overlooked. So I need your help in wading through the endless shovelware to find some unique experiences. Whatever consensus I can draw from your responses will decide what I buy.
Perhaps when I taper it down to a few choices I'll make a poll and buy the top three. Thanks for your input.

Here is what I own (or have played) as of today:
Galaxy Series
Metroid Trilogy + other M
Zelda Series
No More Heroes Series
Trauma Center Series
Red Steel Series
MadWorld / Okami / Zak and Wiki / Resident Evil 4 / Super Paper Mario

TL;DR - Recommend your favorite Wii games not on the above list. Popular/well argued games will be experienced by me. Unknown/rare titles encouraged!

I am not sure what kind of games you're looking for but here are a few from my Wii Library

BIT.TRIP Complete - A collection of downloadable games that are retro-styled music games. All the games mix rhythm and some old school type games (like Pong, or Canabalt) They have some good music (if you are into Electronica) and it is fairly cheap

Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Metroid-esque samurai platformer made by Vanillaware. It has one of the coolest art styles I have ever seen, and a simple yet fun combat mechanics. I assume it's cheap now and is definitely worth picking up

Monster Hunter Tri - This is one of those love it or hate it games. The controls are not the easiest to get around and the game can be unforgiving but the second you start making progress in the game you feel like you actually did something. On the flip side to that, when you hit a wall....it hurts. The online is pretty good, and still pretty active from what I can gather.

I know have a few other games I could recommend but I can't remember what other Wii games I own

I'm not picky, pretty open to all genres, from Phoenix Wright to Halo and Skyrim. Except RTS games, just not my thing.

But Muramasa interests me, but what are the combat/controls like? (any comparable titles for reference?)
I find the core combat system makes or breaks most of the Wii library.

I'd recommend the 2 big JRPGs currently out for it, Arc Rise Fantasia, and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. Both are really good games. I'm also REALLY looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles.

Also, Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers. The best hack n slash on Wii you've never played.

I wouldn't say its hidden, but Donkey Kong Country returns is amazing. Some of the best level design I've ever seen. I've also heard good things about Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland.

if you like truma center you will like truma team it has all the operrating aspects but so much more like first response and foresics ect

Donkey Kong Country Wii. They actually managed to make a challenging game. It feels a lot like the old Donkey Kong series, but with new elements that fit in very well.

You need to get Silent Hill: Shattered Memories! It's the best entry in the series since Silent Hill 2, in my opinion.

Xenoblade. It's going to be released in USA if that's where you live. Get it. Seriously... It's amazing
Monster Hunter Tri is pretty fun.
Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World, hard to find since it's been out of production, but pretty good..
Super Smash Bro.s Brawl. Seriously if you haven't played that you should punish yourself.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns. Also pick up the classic Donkey Kong country games on virtual console. Some of the best games on SNES there.

As a fan of Driver, and an owner of the so called 'proper' PC version of the latest Driver: San Francisco, there are some elements of the Wii version that made me wish I could have that instead. The Wii version looks like it has a lot of charm and attention to detail in it that is missing from the bigger budgeted versions, and feels much closer to the spirit of the older games. Also it actually has the San Fran Trams.

Outside that, I'd reccommend Endless Ocean 2. All the relaxing scuba fun you'd ever need, without the bugs of the first game.

NyxQuest and Deadly Creatures, awesome little gems that noone seems to know.

I always thought bully on the wii didnt get the kudos it should have. Yes the graphics are barely above the ps2 version but the extra fun had with the motion controls makes up for it.

Trauma Team since you liked Trauma Center :3 Also MadWorld. That was a whole lotta fun too~

House of the Dead: Overkill. Yeah, it's a rail shooter, but it's in the same vein as No More Heroes. A silly, over-the-top self-parody game... and for that it's awesome.

--

Little King's Story.
Its outward appearance is cutesy and some would say childish (a stupid statement, it actually has a rather beautiful aesthetic).
The gameplay however is clever and fairly unique (closest comparison that I know of is Pikmin and possibly Overlord, hard to tell since I havn't played those games).
You're a small child who becomes king thanks to a magic crown, you have to start by shaping up your kingdom and expanding its borders.
The gameplay revolves around allocating your lazy subjects jobs and then taking them with you to overcome certain obstacles.

Obviously you have your combat units, ranged and meelee. But you also need to balance your party with lumberjacks and miners to remove debris, builders to reconstruct bridges and others.
The more you expand your territory the more you can build, the more subjects you have and the greater the variety of jobs to allocate.

But anyway, I suggest trying it, especially since I see it everywhere for pretty cheap thanks to it having flown well under the radar.

The Tales of Symphonia series.
So freaking great JRPG Series!! (first piece is for the GameCube which ofc is playable on the Wii)

Dead Space: Extraction is really good (Long levels though, so come prepared) and Xenoblade Chronicles is Fantastic if you can get your hands on a copy.
I only own 4 Wii games, so I'm not much help here - I can recommend you some Game Cube games, but odds of you finding them cheap are pretty damn low.

de Blob, you know, that one where you play as a activist blob of paint that can change color and you around the city smashing up commie - I mean the ink blots and paint the city however you want? Yeah. That one. Old so the graphics/controls could be better in the 2nd one, but I haven't tried it yet, so I can't say for sure. I love the first one though. It is a child's game, so not very challenging but it's pretty zen.

GoWithDAFro:
I wouldn't say its hidden, but Donkey Kong Country returns is amazing. Some of the best level design I've ever seen. I've also heard good things about Epic Yarn and Return to Dreamland.

I second this , and i will add , monster hunter tri and silent hill shattered memories and a boy and his blob.

Not a challenging game, but I found charm oozing from Kirby's Epic Yarn. Yarn and craft supplies are used in such genius ways if you really understand what they are. It also has some amazing music.

I am going to also push Epic Yarn, although I thought the game was insanely hard. How did you guys play that game while hugging the TV because it was so damn cute?

monster hunter tri is really good. its definitely not an easy game but once you defeat a monster, it is incredibly satisfying

Madworld is a good 'un.

The motion controls for boss fights start to get a tad frustrating around the mid point, but if you can overlook them, then this is a cool game to try out. It's really really cheap preowned as well.

Little King's Story. It balances difficulty with fun, it has a great sense of humor. The aesthetics are amazing, and the soundtrack is equally good. I had it, but I can't play it now due to my f'ing dog breaking the disc.

Damn, Hate it when you don't notice a much better written post above you'rs

A Boy and his Blob
Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor
Wario Land: Shake It!
Muramasa the Demon Blade
Rayman Raving Rabbids (Just the first. The others.... eeeeeeeehhh...)
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Little King's Story
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Xenoblade Chronicles (when it comes out in the US)

Little King's Story for sure

Like has been said in the topic, it's a great game; probably the closest game to Pikmin if you liked that.

It's only downside is pretty challenging bosses; but honestly it's easy to find cheap and well well well worth playing

Rabbids Go Home was a pretty good game, and I would recommend it, with it's only problems being
1) Lot's of Thematic Clones in terms of levels (Sadly my favorite type of level only appeared twice)
2) Really long load times. Not talking PS1 Load times, but for the load screens the game plays about a 20 second clip that almost never changes of the rabbids carrying the main item you collected from the previous level. It makes no sense at all, especially when they're carrying a full-size plane through a sewer.

Another one I could think of it the Pikmin Games on Wii. Pikmin 1 Is available for Wii everywhere, and Pikmin 2 is available for Wii Everywhere except the US.

Crap, double posted.\
Will just post a few other games worth trying:
Murumasa: The Demon Blade (as others have mentioned)
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was pretty good as well.

Tales of Symphonia if you can find it, I played it with my friend and it is easily the best JRPG I have ever played (Tales of Vesperia is next in line, gotta thank ToS for getting me into the series) but it's for the gamecube, and is very hard to find, as for ToS: Dawn of the New World, the same friend said it was abysmally terrible, so I haven't played it

elvis-66:
I always thought bully on the wii didnt get the kudos it should have. Yes the graphics are barely above the ps2 version but the extra fun had with the motion controls makes up for it.

This this THIS. Bully's one of the most underrated games ever made. I'd add Rayman Origins and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn to the recommendations. You say you don't like RTS---Fire Emblem is turn-based strategy, but I'm not sure you'd like that either.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked