My top 10 gripes with Skyrim.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Yes, I have 10 gripes with Skyrim. Actually I might have around 56 but I really don't want to spend as much time writing up this thread as I have to. So,for all the right Bethesda does to keep us hooked, it seems for ever 1 there's 5 things that are horribly wrong and yet never enough to make us quit playing.

Well let's get started.

1. Stealth is way too OP.
By the time your stealth passes 50 you can just about stealth up FRONT to a bandit and kill/pickpocket him/her without being seen. Now maybe if I was some how going invisible to reach that high of stealth level, it would make a lot more sense. But there's no special tricks here, and the stealthing in Skyrim can just about break the game.

2. Enemy mages are too OP.
Honestly, nothing scares me more in this game than a Pyro/Necromancer. They can pretty much nuke you to oblivion, reload your last check point, then back a second time in a bat of an eye. Now I'm not saying they're impossible to defeat, but it takes every cheap tactic in the book to do so.

3. Pause tactics are boring and suck.
I'm not playing a turn base game here, and I getting pretty annoyed having to spend half the time in a fight pausing in order to select this or drink that.

4. You have an arrow sticking out of your head thanks to me and you think it's your imagination?
Just how dumb can NPCs really be? For the last 5 mins I've shot 10 arrows into a bandit and every time I stealth away he or she pretend like it never happened. This basically has a lot to do with the stealth mechanic in the game, and how I think Batman: Arkham series should be setting examples. In the Arkham series every time you're spotted by a new group, from then on out they're always on a look out for you. They will stay in paranoia until they are dealt with. With stealth in Skyrim, it seems all the NPCs are suffering from short term memory lose, and it can get really annoying at times when a particular enemy has 15 arrows sticking out of his knee and he can't figure out how they got there.

5. The Dragons are pansies.
Aren't dragons suppose to be one of the most grueling and important encounters in the game? Then why did one just get its ass handed to it by my horse? Why would you allow this Bethesda?

6. Pickpocketing mini gameplay needs to just be removed.
Ok, tell me what's wrong with this picture:

So I'm about to pickpocket, first I quick save and now I see the 50 gold has a 25% chance of success? So I make my first attempt at picpocketing, and...I fail. So, I quick load and try again, and I'm caught again, quick load, let's go for a third attempt. Caught again! Quick load and, MF caught again? Ok, one last try and.... finally! So....hmmm, you know what let's see how I do snatching the 5% gold necklace....

So? Has anyone detected how this exploit pretty much makes picpocketing (among a hundred other things) useless?

7. Exterior graphics look so great, but WTF happened to the interiors?
I'm serious the interiors in this game look horrible, I haven't seen interiors this ugly looking and badly lit since Morrowind, the Xbox version...>XP

8. Fine I can deal with the stupid pausing tactics, but how the hell did I just drink 50 potions, at once?
Ok, pausing tactics aside, I really don't think we should be able to pig out on every consumable in our inventory before un-pausing the game. For every potion I think there needs to be an animation before being able to re-pause and consume a different item. Just a thought there, tell me what you guys think....?

9. Stop giving me unaccepted quests already.
I mean I can't go five feet in a city without some guard blurting out some crap on the other end of town without my map being updated. As much as I've enjoyed questing, and not in any shape or form willing to speak against the abundance of quests this game provides. I would just like to take my time and get through them one at a time and not miss out on the experience. Because when you have 20 quest open to one area, you end up losing that sense of relevance and WhyTF you went into that one bandit camp in the first place.

10. And finally, stop giving me immortal badasses for followers.
You want to know how to seriously break this game in two over your knee when it comes to challenge? Get Barbas the dog, never finish his quests and pretty much take him every where. As long as you're able to cower in a corner, you will never lose. The damn dog can be taking on 10 dragons single handedly and he will turn that level into a dragon bone graveyard, all in your cowering glory might I add.

...I am so tempted to attempt to rectify some of these gripes.

But I promise you I will give my top 10 gripes afterwards.

Okay, NOW I will talk about my gripes.

1. Alchemy is way too powerful.
You can get enchanting and smithing to 100, that can trivialize the game (even if it's what you levelled up first) on the easier difficulties, but on expert and master the game can still be challenging at times. Alchemy removes all remaining challenge, because of fortify smithing and fortify enchanting potions, even on master difficulty. Today I just finished the main quest on master difficulty, and I haven't died once. Now I want to see how much I can do on this character without dying. Hell, even THAT isn't enough. Magic giving me trouble? How about I put on that fortify fire resist potion that gives me 90% fire resist. I'm not doing enough damage? I can use fortify 2 hand to more than double my damage (I made a potion that does both at the same time). Need money? Just make some expensive potions and watch as all the merchants in whiterun go bankrupt.

2. Stupid companion AI
I had to kill one of my companions. That's right, I was forced to kill my own companion. Why? Because for absolutely no reason, he decided to go hostile and started fighting esbern. I could do nothing else to stop the fight. What a waste of 500 gold.

3. Crashing
It doesn't need explaning. Developing games for PC is a headache, and you can't expect a game to work perfectly on every PC. Even with the 4gb patch, I have had skyrim crash on me at times. Oddly enough though, since I got the SKSE to install SKYUI, I haven't crashed nearly as many times.

4. Dragons that don't land.
I just want these bloody things to land so I can kill them in three hits. That is all. Wait, nevermind. I have the dragon rend shout now, no more need to wait.

5. Sneak is too good.
Just because you are crouching while walking up to someone, it doesn't mean they have no way of detecting you, muffle or no muffle. But that isn't the worst of it IMO. The worst is the 30x sneak attack damage you can do, letting you oneshot most enemies on master difficulty with an iron dagger (okay a slight exaggeration, but still, too good, considering how easy it is to sneak attack people when you fortify or level it up).

6. Lydia.
She should have a cutscene where she dies. Moving on...

7. Physics.
I think it's a great thing that bethesda has brought physics into the game. However, any colussion other than downward should not do damage IMO, even if it is the reason for great traps like the slamming door trap and the spiked swinging ball trap. Dovahkiin should not die in ways such as THIS however:

8. Crashing again.
Sorry... it's not the best thing in the world to be honest. At least the autosaving is extremely often in the game, and I also quicksave every 30 seconds.

9. I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee.
The dialogue in this game is a bit lackluster to be honest. I didn't mind the chats I had with dragons (fighting or not), but there are quests like the forsworn conspiracy that give you the illusion of choice through dialogue. However, one option lets you start the next quest in the line, while the other one does not, and then gets all the guards to hate you if you do not surrender and go to the prison. Why should I be punished like that for not surrendering to weak guards while I am decked out in my awesome gear? I'm the freaking AVATAR DOVAHKIIN!

10. They haven't gotten the level scaling quite right yet.
How is it that Belthor's common goods is selling me dragon armour? Why am I getting ebony ingots from avenicci? Why is arcadia's cauldron stocked with a daedra heart? How have I managed to get all the enchants I need for my uber daedric armour from buying items from the drunken huntsman? Why at ever left turn is there a draugr deathlord? Why whenever I am roaming the countryside is an ancient dragon attacking me again? All these things are quite silly. Fortunately there's a mod for the vendor items, but I am suprised they did that.

would people please stop complaining about skyrim? honestly, it clogs up the gaming forums so bad i have to sort through the forum pages just to find a decent post sometimes...

anyways, if you don't like the pause for skyrim becuase of it's lack of realism then play a different game if you don't like it.

if you don't like followers being too easy then don't take them with you. it's as simple as that. honestly all you have to do is just ask them to stay put.

And finally, if you have problems with just lowly necromancers then i don't know why you even bother with skyrim.

in short i guess i'm just trying to say if you don't like a game stop playing or do something about it. don't just sit there and whine about it on the forums.

So... you have around 56 gripes, and yet you put the same one twice in your top 10? ...mkay.

Anyways, it's been said again and again BUT...

Skyrim isn't perfect, that much is obvious. It has it's problems. It's not that realistic. But it's still a damn good game, and entertains for hours and hours. So it would be great if these arguments would stop popping up again and again, thanks.

Biodeamon:
would people please stop complaining about skyrim? honestly, it clogs up the gaming forums so bad i have to sort through the forum pages just to find a decent post sometimes...

anyways, if you don't like the pause for skyrim becuase of it's lack of realism then play a different game if you don't like it.

if you don't like followers being too easy then don't take them with you. it's as simple as that. honestly all you have to do is just ask them to stay put.

And finally, if you have problems with just lowly necromancers then i don't know why you even bother with skyrim.

in short i guess i'm just trying to say if you don't like a game stop playing or do something about it. don't just sit there and whine about it on the forums.

What makes him say he doesn't like it?

Skyrim is a great game, however it is a big game, and since people like the game for different reasons, there are plenty of gripes you can have with a game, even if you think it's your favourite game. It's not whining, I find it quite humorous to talk about things you don't like about games you like.

Biodeamon:
would people please stop complaining about skyrim?

Why ? It's a gaming forum. I don't get it. Are ppl only supposed to be praising it because it's your favorite game or something ?

My biggest gripe about it, besides the obvious stuff (bad/unreactive combat, sub par writing/characters/dialog/voice acting, no real choices and consequences, linear dungeons, lifeless world, lame economy system, weak RPG mechanics...), is the lack of different ways to play it.

For example - My contact tells me to go kill something, and then I have to go kill it, or that part of the story ends there. And that's Skyrim, over, and over, and over

I think this is where the feeling of linearity is coming from. In Skyrim, unlike in New Vegas, and many other great RPGs, I can't choose anything but mindless violence to complete quests.. You have two choices ultimately in Skyrim:

1. Mindless violence.
2. Stop playing.

In that way, it is linear, and it is shallow.

And generally, unless it's a person you're meant to talk to, speech is completely worthless.

Fallout 3 - you can solve every problem by killing someone. But even worse than Fallout 3, Skyrim encourages you into that way of thinking. Due to that, I couldn't really enjoy it that much. I mean, if you can just go from one group to the next, killing, killing, and killing some more without ever noticing your kill count or caring, then fine... I guess it's the game for you.

But I remember doing so many other things in so many other games.

Why has it all come down to this?

Why has the great RPG just been diluted down into killing things?

If I wanted to just kill everything and have the sort of depth that could be written down onto a napkin, then I'd play CoD. I play RPGs because they're supposed to offer me something different. Consider this: Ultima VII is thought to be one of the best RPGs of all time. Despite that, the combat is horrible, and it's almost better to go through the entire game without every using your sword or magicks on anything. Only very rarely will you be thrust into unavoidable combat. The depth came from the world, the characters, and the story.

Skyrim is like the opposite of that. The lack of depth comes from how I'm some genocidal maniac (like the Blades, like the Vigilants of Stendarr, like the Silver Hand, like the Thalmor, like Alduin's dragons, like so many other groups in the game), and I can't choose to be anything else. It's KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL.

Biodeamon:

You know the best way to find the thread you're looking for is to start it yourself...I mean if you really rather talk about let's say Epic Games new IP and possible Minecraft ripp off Fortnite, if you build it, people will come.

=/

I just get really annoyed at those disarm shouts the deathlords use. Just finished the Wolf Queen minus my best weapon; an extremely valuable flawless dwarven mace because I couldn't find it in the room the deathlord was in. Wasted 20 minutes searching for it too.

And the dungeons are getting a bit same-y, they could have made a bit more effort to have different styles of dungeons for different purposes.

up the difficulty if it's too easy for you.

Biodeamon:

its a forums, people can post what they like, I would argue that you piss of you dont like game threads in a gaming forums complaining about a popular game that just released

ANd besides, games are made for the people so really people who have played the game will be able to give good critism how to make it better (most times, if they want guns in the game they can fuck off and get the PC version and mod it in)

About mages. If theres one, Iceform/unrelenting force his ass and close, then just keep staggering him with shield bashes or whatever you call it when you do the same thing with a 2 hander.

edit: oh and one thing ive noticed about dragons, when you turn up the difficulty to expert or master they get a lot harder. Since the strategies you develop to avoid taking damage(As opposed to tanking it like a boss on adept) dont seem to work too well versus dragons fire. current character Im playing is a heavy armour dude under the sign of the steed right now on expert(tried master, good challenge, but not the sort of thing you want to do for a hundred hours)

Dragon fights feel a lot better than they did on adept, let me tell you. Also I try to control myself. I could go and power level smithing and enchanting if i wanted to and break the game in half. But I want to preserve the challenge.

Nomanslander:
4. You have an arrow sticking out of your head thanks to me and you think its your imagination?
With stealth in Skyrim, it seems all the NPCs are suffering from short term memory lose, and it can get really annoying at times when a particular enemy has 15 arrows sticking out of his knee and he can't figure out how they got there.

I've not played the game, but I have a feeling you have answered you own question. You shot someone in the head with an arrow, obviously you have caused some damage to the part of the poor NPC's brain that is responsible for memories.

Wow, this game is realistic.

This is the reason you can get away with inflicting pain and misery on the people of Skyrim, you sir sicken me.

Nomanslander:
Yes, I have 10 gripes with Skyrim, actually I might have around 56 but I really don't want to spend as much time writing up this thread as I have to. So,for all the right Bethesda does to keep us hooked, it seems for ever one there's 5 things that are also wrong with the game.

Well let's get start.

By the time your stealth passes 50 you can just about stealth up to a bandit and kill/pickpocket him/her without him/her seeing. Now maybe if I was some how going invisible to reach that high of stealth level, it would make a lot more sense. But no special tricks, the stealthing in Skyrim can just about break the game.

Hah, someone hasnt gotten the last stealth perk I see, If you are complaining about stealth breaking the game now, just wait til you get that perk, basically it means that when you ghet into a fight, if you crouch then quickly attack you are almost guaranteed an automatic critical on most enemies. Its actual description is - Crouching stops combat for a moment and forces distant opponents to search for a target

Honestly, nothing scares me more in this game than a Pyro/Necromancer. They can pretty much nuke you the oblivion and back, reload your last check point, then back a second time in a bat of an eye. Now I'm not saying they're impossible to defeat, but it takes every cheap tactic in the book to do so.

Alchemy can mitigate this, and once you get to a high enough level they go down very fast, unless you run into about 3 of them at once, thats when you're fucked. Although to be honest its somewhat nice to have enemies that can actually threaten you, and use different tactics than "RAAHH IMMA RUN AT YOU AND OCCASIONALLY BLOCK"

I'm not playing a turn base game here, and I getting pretty annoyed having to spend half the time in a fight pausing in order to select this or drink that.

I agree with this one, Oblivion had a quick select system where you could assign items/spells to the D-pad, so why did they remove it in Skyrim?

4. You have an arrow sticking out of your head thanks to me and you think its your imagination?
Just how dumb can NPCs really be? For the last 5 mins I've shot 10 arrows into you and every time I stealth away you pretend like it never happened. This basically has a lot to do with the stealth mechanic in the game and how Batman: Arkham series should be setting examples. In the Arkham series every time you're spotted by a new group, from then on out they're also on a look out for you. They will stay in paranoia until they are dealt with. With stealth in Skyrim, it seems all the NPCs are suffering from short term memory lose, and it can get really annoying at times when a particular enemy has 15 arrows sticking out of his knee and he can't figure out how they got there.

Again, agreed, I suppose a way around this would be if you shoot an arrow at an enemy and he cant find you he'll go off to one of his friends to tell him and put the dungeon/cave on high alert, unless you kill him first of course, high alert would basically make enemies move around more and stick in pairs

5. The Dragon's are pansies.
Aren't dragons suppose to be one of the most grueling encounters in the game. Then why did one just get its ass handed to him by my horse? Really????

I suppose if they made them too difficult it would piss off a lot of people, seeing as you cant walk from Whiterun to Windhelm without being attacked by a dragon. Still, just wait until you fight an Elder or Ancient Dragon, unless you put some serious points into Smithing/Alchemy/Archery they will fuck your shit up, and if you're a stealth character then you dont have much chance if you encounter one randomly

Ok, tell me what's wrong with this picture.

So I'm about to pickpocket, let me first quick save. Oh so the 50 gold has a 25% chance of success? Ok, let's try this. Damn I was caught, quick load, let's try this again. Caught again, quick load, let's try this again. And again, rinse repeat....rinse repeat, rinse repeat, rinse repeat, and finally I got it to work. Ok now let me quick save to try and snatch the 5% gold necklace........So..??? Have you guys detected how this exploit pretty much makes this game mechanic useless?

Thats not the games fault, thats you exploiting the save feature

I'm serious the interiors in this game look horrible, I haven't seen Interiors this ugly looking and badly lit since Morrowind, and 360 version...>XP

I actually have no idea what you mean here, I play on the 360 as well with no patches and interiors look great

8. Again with the pausing tactics and consumable items.
Fine, if Bethesda thinks this type of gameplay can be fun, I'll give it a better chance. But how is it that I can consume just about ever potion while pausing while I'm being rushed at by five bandits, three wolves, a giant, and a dragon on its last legs? How?

This is something thats in most RPG's that arent turn based, sure it isnt realistic but this is a game about dragons and a hero that can murder people by yelling at them. Also some encounters would be damn near inpossible without this ability for some builds, aka stumbling across a dragon priest on a low level stealth character

9. Stop giving me quests already.
I mean I can't go five feet in a city without some guard blurting out some crap on the other end of town without my map being updated. As much as I've enjoyed questing. I like to take my time and get through them one my one and not miss out on the experience. But when you have 20 quest open to an area you end up losing that sense and forgetting WTF you went into that one bandit camp in the first place.

The quest journal gives you a quick overview of the quest, plus you could always go back to the quest giver for information. Most of the quests you get by just walking around are misc. quests, as in they lead to actual quests. To get proper quests you need to either actually talk to someone or follow up on a misc. quest lead.

You want to know how to serious break this game in two when it comes to challenge? Bet Barbas the dog, never finish his quests and pretty much take him every. As long as you're able to cower in a corner, you will never lose for since the dog is immortal, you'll never lose. The damn dog can be taking on ten dragons single handedly and it will never lose.

You could just do Barbas' quest you know instead of keeping him around, again this is an exploit and not completely the devs fault. Also the dog has a pretty good reason to be immortal, a reason that I wont spoil here for anyone that hasnt done the quest

My biggest gripe is that there aren't enough trolls. There should be at least 5 trolls under every bridge.

And more Draugr.

Nomanslander:

Yes and it gets even more OP.

Yes in the beginning, but I didn't have an issue with it. Once you can craft or find magic resistance items, the mages don't hurt for shit. Also, vampire mages are even worse, until you get some resistance. So, either use stealth or go get some gear.

Indeed. The whole interface is crappy. It's fine-tuned for the consoles and it still sucks. If you play on the PC you can get a few mods to improve things.

True, but it is more funny than annoying. Also, this falls under "stealth is OP"

On higher level you get stronger dragons. But even then they are relatively weak. The dragon battles are indeed lackluster. -1 for Bethesda.

This is an issue with a lot of games and not just with pickpocketing. If you have a dialog and you don't know which option to pick, you can just reload the game if you get a different response than you wanted.

I'm serious the interiors in this game look horrible, I haven't seen Interiors this ugly looking and badly lit since Morrowind, and 360 version...>XP

Actually the exterior looks crap also from close by. The wide scenery shots look nice though. The solution is installing a few high resolution texture packs (if you have the PC version).

True, this needs tweaking. When in combat you should only be allowed to drink 1 potion. Then again, the game becomes far too easy once you got a few skills and some decent equipment. So that is an even bigger issue.

The issue is that most quests are pretty lame and straightforward. So then when you get a clusterfuck of quests, you feel overwhelmed. Aye...

That is more of an exploit. But talking about followers. They are annoying and suck. They have zero AI and always seems to get stuck behind the littlest of things.

I agree with most of the stuff. The things that irk me are:

Abysmall interface on the PC
Shit performance on the PC
Completely boring main story
No real choices and consequences
Fucking compass
Combat is still meh
Due to the large number of side quests they vary in quality
Bad writing

Ragnarok185:
up the difficulty if it's too easy for you.

^This^, it'll pretty much solve half the problems on the list.

Anthraxus:

My biggest gripe about it, besides the obvious stuff (bad/unreactive combat, sub par writing/characters/dialog/voice acting, no real choices and consequences, linear dungeons, lifeless world, lame economy system, weak RPG mechanics...), is the lack of different ways to play it.

For example - My contact tells me to go kill something, and then I have to go kill it, or that part of the story ends there. And that's Skyrim, over, and over, and over

I think this is where the feeling of linearity is coming from. In Skyrim, unlike in New Vegas, and many other great RPGs, I can't choose anything but mindless violence to complete quests.. You have two choices ultimately in Skyrim:

1. Mindless violence.
2. Stop playing.

In that way, it is linear, and it is shallow.

And generally, unless it's a person you're meant to talk to, speech is completely worthless.

Fallout 3 - you can solve every problem by killing someone. But even worse than Fallout 3, Skyrim encourages you into that way of thinking. Due to that, I couldn't really enjoy it that much. I mean, if you can just go from one group to the next, killing, killing, and killing some more without ever noticing your kill count or caring, then fine... I guess it's the game for you.

But I remember doing so many other things in so many other games.

If I wanted to just kill everything and have the sort of depth that could be written down onto a napkin, then I'd play CoD. I play RPGs because they're supposed to offer me something different. Consider this: Ultima VII is thought to be one of the best RPGs of all time. Despite that, the combat is horrible, and it's almost better to go through the entire game without every using your sword or magicks on anything. Only very rarely will you be thrust into unavoidable combat. The depth came from the world, the characters, and the story.

Skyrim is like the opposite of that. The lack of depth comes from how I'm some genocidal maniac (like the Blades, like the Vigilants of Stendarr, like the Silver Hand, like the Thalmor, like Alduin's dragons, like so many other groups in the game), and I can't choose to be anything else. It's KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL.

I almost see your point, but once someone nearly beat the game (he was attempting without dying so he was only trying it out once) as a pacifist. He tried to do as many quests as possible like that, and just get away from quests that don't let you do that. A bit of thinking outside the box can fix quite a few problems, and sneaking past all the enemies to take the relic at the end isn't too bad.

But the way he died was very interesting... and stupid.

Alrighty then, lets get this over and done with.

Nomanslander:
Yes, I have 10 gripes with Skyrim, actually I might have around 56 but I really don't want to spend as much time writing up this thread as I have to. So,for all the right Bethesda does to keep us hooked, it seems for ever one there's 5 things that are also wrong with the game.

Well let's get start.

By the time your stealth passes 50 you can just about stealth up to a bandit and kill/pickpocket him/her without him/her seeing. Now maybe if I was some how going invisible to reach that high of stealth level, it would make a lot more sense. But no special tricks, the stealthing in Skyrim can just about break the game.

Just about every skill is way too OP when you level it up enough. I've seen people complain of magic, one-handed, two-handed, block and archery being too OP, so personally I think Stealth fits right in.

Honestly, nothing scares me more in this game than a Pyro/Necromancer. They can pretty much nuke you the oblivion and back, reload your last check point, then back a second time in a bat of an eye. Now I'm not saying they're impossible to defeat, but it takes every cheap tactic in the book to do so.

Nope, they just use different tactics to other sorts of characters. For example, anyone with a decent level in melee skill can rape a mage in the ass with his broad-axe if he gets up close. I always figured the whole point of mages was that they keep you at bay with magic.
On top of that, getting a respectable level in block can negate destruction magic to a large degree, giving melee warriors a better chance to cleave their heads in two.

I do agree somewhat with you on that one. Pausing tactics are fairly cheap on one hand, if you just chug every potion you can to beat the single bandit, although in fights against things like dragons, who can still do a fair bit of damage, even at medium levels, I find it useful to be able to catch my breath, rearm, and decide on different tactics. Anyone who's been in a fight against two dragons at once at level 25 or lower will understand this.

Just how dumb can NPCs really be? For the last 5 mins I've shot 10 arrows into you and every time I stealth away you pretend like it never happened. This basically has a lot to do with the stealth mechanic in the game and how Batman: Arkham series should be setting examples. In the Arkham series every time you're spotted by a new group, from then on out they're also on a look out for you. They will stay in paranoia until they are dealt with. With stealth in Skyrim, it seems all the NPCs are suffering from short term memory lose, and it can get really annoying at times when a particular enemy has 15 arrows sticking out of his knee and he can't figure out how they got there.

I completely agree with this one.

Aren't dragons suppose to be one of the most grueling encounters in the game. Then why did one just get its ass handed to him by my horse? Really????

Again, I do agree with this to a degree. Dragons are supposed to be the penultimate enemies in the game, so they should be a fair challenge.
But on the other hand, I guess you could say you're the dragonborn, a person appointed by the gods to slay dragons and rid them from the world.

Ok, tell me what's wrong with this picture.

So I'm about to pickpocket, let me first quick save. Oh so the 50 gold has a 25% chance of success? Ok, let's try this. Damn I was caught, quick load, let's try this again. Caught again, quick load, let's try this again. And again, rinse repeat....rinse repeat, rinse repeat, rinse repeat, and finally I got it to work. Ok now let me quick save to try and snatch the 5% gold necklace........So..??? Have you guys detected how this exploit pretty much makes this game mechanic useless?

Now this is unfair. That's not a problem with the game, this is a problem with the way you play. The point of a game is to explore, adventure and make choices within the game, letting them affect you and living with the concequences.
Furthermore, the save feature in Skyrim is very forgiving and places a lot of trust in the player, not to be exploited like this for a quick buck. That is all this, an exploit.

I play on the PS3, so I can't comment on the textures on the 360 version.

Fine, if Bethesda thinks this type of gameplay can be fun, I'll give it a better chance. But how is it that I can consume just about ever potion while pausing while I'm being rushed at by five bandits, three wolves, a giant, and a dragon on its last legs? How?

We've already covered this.

I mean I can't go five feet in a city without some guard blurting out some crap on the other end of town without my map being updated. As much as I've enjoyed questing. I like to take my time and get through them one my one and not miss out on the experience. But when you have 20 quest open to an area you end up losing that sense and forgetting WTF you went into that one bandit camp in the first place.

Now this is just strange. The point of the game is for you to do quests and gain phat loots. Are you really complaining about having too much questing to do?
Also, what you said about the game is vastly over-exaggerated. people don't just yell at you and tell you to get shit willie-nillie, 99% of the time you have to initiate the conversation to get the quest and even then, you don't have to do it, even if you've got nothing else to do.

You want to know how to serious break this game in two when it comes to challenge? Bet Barbas the dog, never finish his quests and pretty much take him every. As long as you're able to cower in a corner, you will never lose for since the dog is immortal, you'll never lose. The damn dog can be taking on ten dragons single handedly and it will never lose.

This one I agree with, even if it sucks balls when Lydia gets cut down by a bunch of forsworn. Although on the other-hand, Barbas is a total pimp, so I hate seeing people dissing on my main man, er, dog.

Also I just wanna point this out really quick, please check your spelling when you post.

Anthraxus:

Because of pandering to the lowest common denominator. Because developing a triple A game with actual depth and the ability to TALK your way out of anything is time-(and therefore money) consuming. Because these days even shit can sell like it's Belgian chocolate. Because youngsters don't have the same experience (comparison material) and expectations as the older generation.

Did I just answer a rhetorical question?

10. More NPC dialogue
9. NPC treat you accordingly to your stature and clothing etc
8. For Lydia to stop getting into doorways and generally in my way, thats for all companions
7. Vendors to have more money for trading/more venders
6. Marriage actually does stuff
5. AI does something about growing extra arrows for arms, instead of running around and giving up
4. Your companion can ride on the same horse as you, at the same time, while using a weapon while on horse
3. More clothing and weapons to choose from
2. Glitches...
1. Bacon

Imbechile:

Fucking compass
Combat is still meh
Bad writing

Are we even playing the same game?

Most of the things you list here are easily fixed with mods for the game.
Dont know what kind of a rig you got to run the game on PC, but it sounds like your machine might be to crappy to run the game.
I've been running skyrim with out any problems on performance on a 2 year old pc.

the only thing that does bug me is related to AI, most of the NPC are metally retarted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vYSiHe7-fpQ
the dragon did not like that lap dance. Think stuff like that is biggest problem, you can even climb on the dragons back and it would still not give a f*ck about it.

hurf durf wrong thread ignore this post

I only have one gripe, which is the broken FUCKING Thieves Quest that means I can't make progress in this segment of the game. Just one gripe, but a big one.

Alphavillain:
I only have one gripe, which is the broken FUCKING Thieves Quest that means I can't make progress in this segment of the game. Just one gripe, but a big one.

What part is broken? I started and finished the Thieves Guild main quest line today and didn't have any glitch or bug or whatever that prevented me from finishing.

'Cause I finished it.

Today.

In one sitting.

R.Wijngaarden:

Imbechile:

Fucking compass
Combat is still meh
Bad writing

Are we even playing the same game?

Most of the things you list here are easily fixed with mods for the game.
Dont know what kind of a rig you got to run the game on PC, but it sounds like your machine might be to crappy to run the game.
I've been running skyrim with out any problems on performance on a 2 year old pc.

the only thing that does bug me is related to AI, most of the NPC are metally retarted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vYSiHe7-fpQ
the dragon did not like that lap dance. Think stuff like that is biggest problem, you can even climb on the dragons back and it would still not give a f*ck about it.

I don't know what game are you playing, but I'm playing the suposedly majestic, epic, GOTY, best RPG evar(as most people say) Skyrim.
Sure some of these things can be fixed by mods, but that doesn't excuse Bethesda for making a shit game. Should I give them a pass simply because I can mod their game?

My comp is core 2 duo, 4GB RAM, Geforce 240 1GB. Sure it's not high-end, but all of todays game run just fine on it. The problem is that Skyrim is a console port(a very bad one) and is not optimized(I'm sure you saw the dozens of mods that try to fix the framerate and the countless thread on how to optimize the game)

Nomanslander:

Deadly dragons mod is your friend.
Unless you are playing console.Bethesda aren't masters of console ports.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3829

Biodeamon:

What are you talking about? Have you seen the gaming boards on this forum? Most of our game discussions consist of whining about things we don't like. In fact, whining about Skyrim isn't even the most common one (See Bioware related topics).

Anyway, in no particular order:

- Many quests consist out of "Accept quest, enter dungeon, get item and return it" and nothing more. It would be a bit more refreshing if I didn't have to keep doing the exact same thing ten times in a row

- The crashing! What the hell is wrong with this game?! Why are so many people suffering from CTD's for no reason? It doesn't happen when I do something specific, it just happens randomly and it's starting to get fucking annoying. I tried every common fix for this and nothing works.

- There are actually multiple mods that make the game work more efficiently (FPS improvement and such). This is something that should have happened before the game went out, but I suppose it's Bethesda once again shoving tons of work into the hands of modders as always. Also, who created that UI? Seriously, what the fuck? Thank god for the SkyUI mod.

- Combat is still somewhat dull as always. I should have gone with magic instead of Melee and Ranger style of gameplay.

- The Bethesda writing team does not consist out of great writers, let's just leave it at that and not point out in detail how low quality most sidequests are (probably due to the sheer amount of them, which I find a retarded thing to do. I'd rather have less sidequests of longer length and higher quality writing, such as the companions and thief guild quests), how bad the main plot is, how badly written and shallow most characters are.

- The ridiculous amount of bugs, the horrifyingly bad AI, useless marriage and tons of other nitpicking.

- You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave. You need to leave.

I don't dislike the game, mind you. Why would I put 60+ hours into a game I don't like? It's just that this isn't the kind of RPG I enjoy most. Skyrim is absolutely nothing more than doing things that do not matter for people who do not care in a lifeless world, accompanied by an awful plot, bad dialogue and voice acting. The thing is, it's still fun, but not in the "THIS IS WHAT RPG'S SHOULD STRIFE FOR" kind of way. It's just a brain-dead game, which is fun at times. My kind of RPG is more towards the Planescape: Torment, Kotor 2 et cetera side.

Yeah, the game can be very unbalanced, especially if you're using exploits. It's still a hell of a lot of fun. But I can't wait for CT to come out for PC so modders can make a proper community rebalance overhaul.

Oh, and for most of these, mods are your friends. I mentioned a couple, but there's also a deadlier dragons one, remove immortality, probably a few others.

I love Skyrim, but lately I find myself playing other games instead. The main reason for this, I think, is that I find the game to be somewhat soulless. By that I mean that because of all the many, many, many quests, the game lacks some overarching purpose. Of course, one could say that this is inherent to the genre, but it's starting to bug me. There are so many things to do for characters and a story that matter so little, that I sometimes find myself asking why I should continue.

The voice acting and sometimes downright crappy dialogue aren't helping much either. Don't get me wrong, I feel that Bethesda has accomplished a lot by creating such a big game in so relatively little time, but the dialogue options and same 10 voice actors keep bothering me.

Oh and one final thing: the difficulty spike. I can't tell you how many times I've walked into a dungeon, killed every bandit in there with a single strike, only to be killed within 2 seconds by their boss. :(

I'm a big fan of stories in games, which might be why Skyrim just doesn't cut it for me and seems to be a bit... soulless. Fun. But soulless nonetheless.

My biggest gripe is that patch 1.3 broke the game on my PC and made it unplayable and unmoddable.

Yes, the game is really unbalanced, but my main gripe is that
THE WRITING SUCKS!
Seriously, does Bethesda not have the money for better writers? This is especially apparent if you play Skyrim after New Vegas.

I dunno...
Your issues can be easily resolved with "wait for mods" and "don't use that feature then".

While on that : Morrowind - if i'm not mistaking - was first BETHESDAs game that officially supported mods and even delivered tools for creating such. Since then i find it pointless to discuss issues with vanilla sandbox crpgs made by BETHESDA. Despite being more or less finite products i still recognize them as "frameworks", a compilator for modders and their inventions.
"You don't like it, change it yourself or wait for someone to do that job". It's as simple as that.

DalekJaas:
My biggest gripe is that patch 1.3 broke the game on my PC and made it unplayable and unmoddable.

Go on, don't be shy...

70R4N:
Yes, the game is really unbalanced, but my main gripe is that THE WRITING SUCKS!
Seriously, does Bethesda not have the money for better writers? This is especially apparent if you play Skyrim after New Vegas.

NV isn't Bethesdas production.

Manji187:

Anthraxus:

Because youngsters don't have the same experience (comparison material) and expectations as the older generation.

I was fine up till this. The material hasn't gone away. Hell, Bay12 I constantly get redirected to old (and awesome) games.

To Manji:

Because its simple and because Bethesda are good at making you feel so badass it doesn't matter. I mean fuck, first time I was hunting a mammoth it wasn't anything special. At the time? I was pretty much tingling during the entire fight.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked