Ocean Marketing vs. Penny Arcade

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

....I'm dumbfounded. I can't belive the sheer arogance of this guy. Who would do buisness with someone like this? I guess he thinks that any press is good press but if he's not careful he won't be able to do buisness with anyone in the industry.

Its one thing to go off on a customer. Thats bad. But to go off on a someone like Gabe who is a well know well liked figure in the gaming industry...well thats suicide. And the list of people that he knows? I'm sure the folks at Penny Arcade have 10 times the connections this guy will ever have.

He may get some attention from this short term but in the long term i don't see him staying in buisness.

Ocean Marketing got what they deserved. That Paul guy really is a smarmy asshole.

I hope they close down.

God this guy is an idiot. I bet he'll also now be sued by the MPAA (or whatever the music industry thingamajig is) for piracy along with the suits from the guys who orignially hired him for destroying their product's viability.

He's done everything wrong-wrong-wrong!

They should have sent a poet...

Just remember guys. The product is actually quite good from what I've been told. Let's just enjoy a bully getting his own little Zangief moment.

ms_sunlight:
That Dave guy was a total dickhead though. Did he have a legitimate complaint? Certainly he did. He was still incredibly rude in his complaint email, and given all the swearwords, posturing and abuse I'm not surprised that the OceanMarketing guy thought it was a sockpuppet "Mike Krahulik" responding to him.

Dave was actually very professional up until the point where the PR rep says 'You're not allowed to cancel and reorder' diatribe. At that point, Dave had every right to go into irate customer mode. He'd be charged money, which means there's a contract in place, and the company is clearly dicking him around.

Dave is not required to be professional after that point; he's trying to be fair throughout, but that PR rep is actively antagonizing him. Customer reps are not supposed to troll paid customers. And 'LOLHEMAD' is not a disparagement against a paid client so trolled.

EDIT: Yeah, it's looking like the manufacturer is doing a barrelroll over this. 'Damage control' and all that. They're taking this very seriously, so let's not disparage the product, just their firm they hired.

Man, 4chan hasn't even gotten hold of this yet, and Paul Christoforo's already going to have to fake his own death to get away from all the (justly deserved) INTERNET RAGE.

UPDATE

According to the updated Kotaku article (http://kotaku.com/5871400/cut-paul-oceanmarketting-christoforo-a-breakhe-probably-just-has-roid-rage) the actual creator of the Avenger controller, Brandon Leidel, fired the firm 8 months ago solely based on their relationship with Paul. He, that is Brandon, says that Paul is "a street thug masquerading as a "Marketing Professional"". He calls him a "complete fool" and goes on to say that he isn't surprised at what happened, and actually told the owners of N-Control that this would happen.

Oh, and Paul has apparently somehow redirected Brandon's email to his own, responding to a Kotaku email as Brandon to try and take the heat off of himself.

Now I'm no fancy big-city lawyer, but isn't that some degree of illegal?

The_root_of_all_evil:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/ocean-marketing-avenger-controllers

Don't annoy the internet. They bite.

Good sir. You have rightfully earnt yourself an Internet. This is fucking priceless.

important note: Ocean Marketing is not the company making the controllers (those are made by N-control), Ocean Marketing was hired by them to take care of the PR

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ns334/makers_of_avenger_controllers_take_money_and_run/c3bir4b

I guess Ocean Marketing employees should look for another job by now.

Good news, everyone! Everyone everywhere is dropping this asshole like a bad habit :D Mission Accomplished, Internet.

RT:

Both of them?

Crikey, I've never been quoted so much in my life!

Look, I said Dave had a legitimate complaint. I just think he was a bit of a dick about how he expressed it - shouty caps, swearing, personal comments, borderline racist terms like "rice rocket". There are better ways to complain. It in no way overshadows the phenomenal car-crash coming from the other side, but there are no angels here.

It's worth noting that while it's caused a hell of a lot of internet nonsense, it's not going to get him his product any faster and it's yet to get him an apology or any compensation.

The_root_of_all_evil:

RT:

Both of them?

All three of them. Don't forget the janitor.

How can a marketing company have such terrible PR? Seriosuly their entire job is to sell products and deal with customers. If I acted that way in front of a customer I would be fired on the spot. Doesn't matter if the customer is bringing in 20$ of 20,000$ you show them some respect and diffuse situations.

These guys suck at their job.

The customer was entirely right throughout. Could he have used prettier language by the time that Paul was already pulling his 'Wwebsites as on the internet'-stick that he pulled from his rectum? Sure, but I'd love to see most of all of us do better. When CS is intentionally handing out free songs and dances to skirt an issue, let alone tries to redirect justified anger, it doesn't make for a pleasant frame of mind.

ms_sunlight:
It's worth noting that while it's caused a hell of a lot of internet nonsense, it's not going to get him his product any faster and it's yet to get him an apology or any compensation.

Wrong.

'Paul' wrote 'Dave' an apology already (albeit, an incredibly insincere one), while the guys who actually make the Avenger are talking with the Penny Arcade guys to get Dave's info to try and actually support him.

ms_sunlight:
Crikey, I've never been quoted so much in my life!

Look, I said Dave had a legitimate complaint. I just think he was a bit of a dick about how he expressed it

Customers are dicks most of the time. They also hold your balls in the palms of their hands.
(Insert female genetalia references if easier to imagine ;) )

Honestly? I think "Dave" is enjoying this far more.

You might want to look back at Nate's dealings with them earlier this year - he was far nicer and got the same abuse.

http://www.natesnetwork.com/Poor-customer-service

I thought this was a private video not having to do anything with the device..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8I0h0qkbNw&feature=youtu.be

CombustibleKoala:
Ha! It got so big that it was picked up by the International Business Times!

http://tinyurl.com/blo4gry

And so Penny Arcade leveled the company, sewed the ground with salt, and forbade any gamers to dwell there (Krahulik 24:4)

The best thing is I thought that was some stock photo of a clown but it's actually Paul hahahahaha

ChildofGallifrey:
UPDATE

According to the updated Kotaku article (http://kotaku.com/5871400/cut-paul-oceanmarketting-christoforo-a-breakhe-probably-just-has-roid-rage) the actual creator of the Avenger controller, Brandon Leidel, fired the firm 8 months ago solely based on their relationship with Paul. He, that is Brandon, says that Paul is "a street thug masquerading as a "Marketing Professional"". He calls him a "complete fool" and goes on to say that he isn't surprised at what happened, and actually told the owners of N-Control that this would happen.

Oh, and Paul has apparently somehow redirected Brandon's email to his own, responding to a Kotaku email as Brandon to try and take the heat off of himself.

Now I'm no fancy big-city lawyer, but isn't that some degree of illegal?

You don't have the story quite straight. There are three firms in play here. First is N-Control, the company that designed and produces the Avenger controller. They work closely with Ocean Marketting [sic], which is our buddy Paul. He is supposed to represent PR for the company. A year or so ago, they hired a third firm, run by this Brandon Leidel, to handle marketing.

However, 8 months ago, Brandon terminated the relationship due to both the constant production delays and Paul's attitude. N-Control still works with Ocean Marketting[sic].

If this is the case, then any "@avengercontroller.com" email address would go to Paul.

Again, Brandon isn't the makers of the controller, just a third party that got all caught up in this.

The actual makers of the Avenger have said that a statement is forthcoming.

xXxJessicaxXx:

CombustibleKoala:

And so Penny Arcade leveled the company, sewed the ground with salt, and forbade any gamers to dwell there (Krahulik 24:4)

The best thing is I thought that was some stock photo of a clown but it's actually Paul hahahahaha

Is it really him? I'm not convinced.

WanderingFool:

Than he said, " Also, make sure that no matter how much of an ass a customer is, you be curtious to them... and make sure to signal to one of the other employees to get mall security if they really get out of hand..." (the bold part is whats important.)

Yep, welcome to the wonderful world of retail sales, no matter how idiotic, condescending, insulting or generally ill mannered the Customer is, you smile and treat them with respect and politeness. I work for a...major home improvement chain...and I've dealt with customers who think that you should be telepathic and capable of reading their thoughts, know everything about everything ever made, should have replacement parts for everything made in the history of Western Civilization, and when you fail to meet any of those standards or had the gall to say 'let me get someone who is more knowledgeable than me to help' they treat you like you've just stopped licking a window.

But you still have to smile and be courteous, even though you might be fantasizing about smashing them over the head with a 40 lb box of screws.

Compared to some of the BS I've dealt with, I relish customers like Dave. Hell, it's a clear cut problem and if you actually give them info and apologize for the problem, they're fine with it.

There's a reason why I don't work in PR. I'd be pretty bad off but at least I'm able to identify that I have no business in that field.

Makon:

ms_sunlight:

Wrong.

'Paul' wrote 'Dave' an apology already (albeit, an incredibly insincere one), while the guys who actually make the Avenger are talking with the Penny Arcade guys to get Dave's info to try and actually support him.

I missed that. That's good news!

Freyar:

xXxJessicaxXx:

CombustibleKoala:

Is it really him? I'm not convinced.

Maybe. They said they took it from MySpace, classic if it is rofl.

Wow, That is just...How the hell did he get a job as CEO which such bad spelling?

I mean...Seriouly?! My 8 year old cusin is better at english then him.

Also this is a perfect example how you should not treat your customers.

This is gold. Solid gold.

This guy's twitter is one of the best comedy devices to round out the year with

Freyar:
I thought this was a private video not having to do anything with the device..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8I0h0qkbNw&feature=youtu.be

So much more gold...so tasty...I'm already loling like crazy!

All in all, don't mess with the Internet.

Idk if anyone else has posted these links but here are 2 other articles about Paul from PR, 1 from Kotaku and the other from Reddit

http://kotaku.com/5871400/cut-paul-oceanmarketting-christoforo-a-breakhe-probably-just-has-roid-rage

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/nsgj4/everything_on_oceanmarketings_website_is/

And here is a bunch of photo memes if anyone hasn't seen em yet

http://imgur.com/a/co8js

I want to thank Paul for giving me something to read while I wait for my (short) TOR queue.

Holy cow at mike's update. http://penny-arcade.com/2011/12/26/an-update1

I think there is a big difference between being sorry and being sorry you got caught. I have a real problem with bullies. I spent my childhood moving from school to school and I got made fun of everyplace I landed. I feel like Paul is a bully and maybe that's why I have no sympathy here. Someday every bully meets and even bigger bully and maybe that's me in this case. It's the same thing that happened with Jack Thompson. It might not always make the most business sense and it is a policy that has caused us some legal problems, but I really don't give a shit about that. When these assholes threaten me or Penny Arcade I just laugh. I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames.

-Gabe out

That stance is inspiring and a little scary at the same time.

RT:

The_root_of_all_evil:

RT:

Both of them?

I think the janitor came with the building.

Zachary Amaranth:

RT:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Both of them?

I think the janitor came with the building.

Nah that's just the son he keeps talking about :P

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked