Are there any good movies based on video games?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

You know what they say: "Video game movies suck, no exceptions". But are they really right? Are there any of those movies that are good?

Here's a few I've seen that were good:
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

There are a few others that I'd call okay, but not really good:
Mortal Kombat
Resident Evil
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Pokemon: The First Movie

What do the rest of you think? Any other movies based on video games that are good, or at least okay? Or were they right that they all are crap?

I would have to say that Prince of Persia was a dam good movie. Hitman was also pretty entertaining, not the best but still better then average.

Oh and pretty much every single Uwe Boll movie is good in the same way that b-horror movies are.

Prince of Persia is easily the best that has been made so far. If you want to find good video game movies then your best bet is animation. The Street Fighter animated movies were pretty good in my opinion, and most of the Pokemon movies are decent, though they're based more on the anime than the games.

And if you like watching bad movies for their riff potential, then watch the Super Mario Bros movie, the live action Street Fighter movies, and the Doom movie.

I've yet to see even a decent movie based on a video game, and I've seen:

Prince of Persia
House of the dead
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident evil: Exinction
Pokemon 4ever (Urgh...)
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (or however you spell that word)
Some Lara Croft movie, don't remember which.

Those I can think of right now, Prince of Persia was the best one, but it's still bad, really bad. The other are just either a travesty (Resident Evil) or downright hilarious in their shittyness (Uwe Boll movies and Lara Croft).

Although not based off any certain game, Scott Pilgrim vs the World is very video gamey, and has plenty of references any gamer would appreciate. It's also one of the best movies i've seen in years.

I always found Resident Evil to actually be a pretty good movie on it's own, and a great game-to-movie adaptation.

but then, I also actually quite liked Spirits Within...which everyone hates.

GrandmaFunk:
I always found Resident Evil to actually be a pretty good movie on it's own, and a great game-to-movie adaptation.

Hey!

I liked Spirits Within... the Final Fantasy movie, right?

I don't really like Final Fantasy, but I enjoyed that movie, warts and all.

OP: Well, Prince of Persia is easily the best so far, critically at least. There still aren't any that are downright great, though.

I've also seen the Resident Evil and Tomb Raider movies, and all of them are bad movies. However, I was still entertained while watching them.

I've heard people say that the first Mortal Kombat movie was decent.

I kind of liked the live action Resident Evil movies.

Crank was good too...that was based of GTA right?

I couldn't get into Prince of Persia... I kept wondering why all the Persians had bad fake British accents...even the American actors. Seriously, why not fake Persian accents?
The only Uwe Boll movie that ever gave me any amusement was Postal. Still bad but at least it was pretty funny.

Define Good.

Overall Quality wise you're stuck with Prince of Persia and maybe Spirits Within (which I think got undue crap for the misuse of the Final Fantasy name).

In the "good for the material" area we get the first resident evil, and Mortal Kombat films, both Tomb Raiders, and some anime stuff like Street Fighter: The animated movie, Fatal Fury, and occasionaly a Pokemon film.

Then there's the "so bad it's funny" area. If you like the MST3K / rifftrax mindset, stuff like the live action street fighters, Double Dragon and Super Mario Bros can be a laugh riot.

I have a really hard time accepting that some ppl think Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil were on the same level of quality.

MK is so horrendously amateurish in comparison.

Advent Children was good. Not in a "interesting plot" way but in a "holy shit that was awesome" way. The entire second half was one gigantic fight scene.

GrandmaFunk:

This.

I really enjoyed the Resident Evil movies a lot. I've never played the games, so maybe that's why. *shrug*

And I did like Spirits Within too, I thought it got rather dumb at some points, but it made an awesome tech demo, the "Avatar" of it's day.

I've yet to watch a movie that did a game I've played any justice.

Well, maybe Dead or Alive but that was still a stupid movie even with all the boob and ass shots.

skywolfblue:
I really enjoyed the Resident Evil movies a lot. I've never played the games, so maybe that's why. *shrug*

They aren't anywhere as good as the games and the games they're based off of (not 4) aren't that great anyway.

Ironically if they weren't called Resident Evil they'd probably be better movies. But I don't think they do any justice to the games.

Dead Space Aftermath is a good film, not great but it is good. Biggest problem with it isn't characters (which are good), intensity (the movie is at times quite intense), plot (it's completely knowledgeable of the game's story and even expands on the universe), or dialogue (which is fine) but instead it's the animation style much of the film uses. It looks... let's put this kindly and say unimpressive. Thankfully, flashbacks (which much of the film consists of) are told in a different animation style that looks much better. I should admit the story isn't exactly original but it is well executed and entertaining. As far as horror goes, this isn't actually that horrific of a film. It has its moments but altogether it's rather tame, surprisingly. Again, this film isn't good as in "it's good by the standards of video game movies"; on the contrary it's a solid film that's respectable on its own merits.

GrandmaFunk:

I don't think of that as a video game movie as (from what I hear) it has nothing to do with the games but yeah, that film gets more hate than it deserves. I'll admit the plot was underdeveloped and the conclusion anticlimactic (I wanted more monster shooting) but it had enough good points to be entertaining on the whole. I'd give it a 6/10.

i think there have been good video-game based movies but none of them do the series they represent any justice. i thought Prince of Persia did the best job but even it was just a good movie, but we are looking for something as amazing as the game they represent

good movies i have seen:
Prince of Persia
Mortal Kombat (the first movie)
Resident Evil (the first one)

ok movies:
Mario Brothers (i think its ok as long as you see it as an inspiration and not a depiction)
Final Fantasy (both the old one and advent)
Lara Croft movies
Silent Hill
Hitman

bad movie:
every other resident evil game after the first one

PS pokemon was a tv show first, then a card game, and finally a game so i dont think it should count as a video-game movie adaptation

Hard to say, general opinion seems to be that most video game movies are shit. But i really enjoy the Resident Evil movies, I liked Final Fantasy: Spirits Within. I like a few of the Street Fighter 2 animes.

That said, there are some horribles ones. Worst one i can think of is Hitman. God that movie was bad lol.

I thought Silent Hill was pretty good.

Naw just kidding, they all suck. Even Prince of Persia was pretty lackluster. So far there have been more good movies based on Disney World rides than video games.

Hitman was based on a videogame right? Yeah, i always liked Hitman. One of the first movies me and my ex saw together

There a great deal of amazing halo live action shorts, and a fan film in the making.

Other than that, nothing nobody else has mentioned.

There are a great deal of good movies that are ABOUT video games...
*cough*GOSEEITNOW*cough*

Advent Children: Was meh. English voice acting was shithouse compared to the Japanese VA, and the plot only made sense if you had played FF7, as well as acquired the two hidden characters. The fight scenes and music on the other hand were disgustingly the best in any CGI movie I've ever seen.

Hitman: ...yeah...it was cool.

DooM: The only downfall I had with this movie was the name. It had nothing to do with Hell or anything supernatural, therefore it shouldn't be called DooM. Aside from that, it was a good movie.

Resident Evil movies: I liked the first one, loved the second, wasn't sure about the third and the fourth was....I don't know. It felt far too surreal.

Tomb Raider: First was good, second was meh.

Silent Hill: Damn good. The only reason Sean Bean was in it was the producers wanted a male lead as well. So the writers threw him in doing uselsss stuff to appease the producers.

Aside from those, I have not see any others...not that there are that many, anyway.

Huh, people like the Prince of Persia film? I though it was mediocre, textbook HollyWood if you ask me. To each their own I guess.

Well, Advent Children had great fight scenes, and the Silent Hill movie had it's good bits (even if it went down the crapper in the second half), so... Those 2?

I'm having trouble thinking of any genuinely good ones, but I can name off quite a few that are simply really fun to make fun of with friends.

I thought the first Tomb Raider was alright especially considering that it's based on (let's be honest) what might be the most overrated franchise in gaming. Prince of Persia was decent. And considering the source material available, I think that the Mortal Kombat and Dead or Alive movies turned out alright considering how little the story is at the forefront of either of those movies, and if nothing else both movies basically captured the spirit of their respective games.

i thought the silent hill movie was alright

I enjoyed Silent Hill way more than I thought I would. Might not be the best Silent Hill movie but it's a perfectly acceptable horror film. I mean come on.... PYRAMID HEAD!

Meshakhad:
Advent Children was good. Not in a "interesting plot" way but in a "holy shit that was awesome" way. The entire second half was one gigantic fight scene.

I second that. Silent Hill was an interesting mind screw, not my favourite in terms of horror.... and I have to admit that I kinda liked the Doom movie.

While Scott Pilgrim and Prince of Persia were pretty good, I'm still waiting to see if they ever come out with the Halo movie.

I actually thought Silent Hill was pretty good. If it had better actors it would have been even better!

Silent Hill and Resident Evil are actually very good, I know it surprised me too

VariaTuxedo:
Although not based off any certain game, Scott Pilgrim vs the World is very video gamey, and has plenty of references any gamer would appreciate. It's also one of the best movies i've seen in years.

I would point out, just as a clarification, that scott pilgrim was based on a graphic novel out of kanada. And there are plenty of great movies based on graphic novels. TV too.

Oh yeah, I did watch the Silent Hill film. As I recall, I enjoyed it but afterwards when I had the time for a harder reflection, it didn't hold up as well. I can't well remember precisely what my problem with it was, I think that there was something missing from the plot that kept it from all adding up in a satisfying way. I should watch it again. What I'm sure of is that it was much better than expected and that it is at least a semi-respectable film on its own merits.

CrustyOatmeal:
i think there have been good video-game based movies but none of them do the series they represent any justice. i thought Prince of Persia did the best job but even it was just a good movie, but we are looking for something as amazing as the game they represent

good movies i have seen:
Prince of Persia
Mortal Kombat (the first movie)
Resident Evil (the first one)

ok movies:
Mario Brothers (i think its ok as long as you see it as an inspiration and not a depiction)
Final Fantasy (both the old one and advent)
Lara Croft movies
Silent Hill
Hitman

bad movie:
every other resident evil game after the first one

PS pokemon was a tv show first, then a card game, and finally a game so i dont think it should count as a video-game movie adaptation

Actually it was a video game then a card game and THEN a tv show

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked