Poll: Skyrim- Did you kill Paarthurnax?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

I have no idea why anyone would want to kill the big green dragon, I mean come on there are so many reasons not to.

1. hes an actually friendly dragon
2. He can upgrade your shouts
3. he has an awesome voice
4. the graybeards will stop helping you if you do
5. Delphines a bitch

Seriously fuck the Blades and their demands.

I didn't kill Paarthunax, but empirically speaking, the blades are right.

You, the dovahkiin, won't live forever .. but without you around, dragons will.
(unless you've pwned Alduin .. but unless you do things out of order, you don't even know at that time if it's possible .. unless you're 4th wall breakin' and sayin' it's a video game therefore you're going to win)

Well, Paarthurnax was a rather interesting case. He knows the lust and hunger for power that is natural for the dragons and he had a character strong enough to overcome it. Not only that but

Overall I decided that it is a risk worth taking. When the world will need another dragonborn then it'll get one.

Wow... uh... awkward, there was a choice? I was all, "Kill ANOTHER dragon? Okay..."

Did not know he would upgrade my shouts, though. But to be honest I only used maybe two of them.

I killed him. Didn't even think twice about it. They told me to kill him so i wnt back up the mountain and put arrows in his head.

I wouldn't kill Paarthurnax. D: He's such a nice dragon and there's really not enough of them around.

Yes.

Scott Maunder:
I have no idea why anyone would want to kill the big green dragon

Same here.

Danceofmasks:

(unless you've pwned Alduin .. but unless you do things out of order, you don't even know at that time if it's possible .. unless you're 4th wall breakin' and sayin' it's a video game therefore you're going to win)

Paarthunax lives for thousands of years without Alduin around. He helped people. He helps Dragon's Bane. Even with Dragon's Bane dead there is no argument for Paarthunax to suddenly attack humanity. He poses no threat, therefore killing him is simply senseless.

To the rest who went with "Blades told me to"... Ah, nevermind. :)

JesterRaiin:

Scott Maunder:
I have no idea why anyone would want to kill the big green dragon

Same here.

Danceofmasks:

Paarthunax lives for thousands of years without Alduin around. He helped people. He helps Dragon's Bane. Even with Dragon's Bane dead there is no argument for Paarthunax to suddenly attack humanity. He poses no threat, therefore killing him is simply senseless.

What?
Paarthunax says he posts a threat, so who are you to say he doesn't?

Just by existing, his very nature to dominate, even if suppressed, is in and of itself a point of contention.
He doesn't have to do anything for thousands of years.
In the grand scheme of forever, some shit will eventually hit the fan, and if that were to happen without a dovahkiin around, it's a very bad deal for mortals.

Seems to me, the only ones in the whole argument that is thinking in the proper terms of time, that is, dragons are freakin' immortal, is Paarthunax and the Blades.

Danceofmasks:

Well said. I also didn't kill him, but I could really see their point.

Also, way to but a nice little spoiler right in the title. xD

I saw him as a friendly dragon...AT FIRST, then I killed his brother and saw his true reasons for helping me. I had a smirk when I saw it and felt a multiple of feelings run down off my face and into my character...well after that, lets just say that there is a skeleton on top of the mountain know.

Long live The DOVAHKIIN!

My characters plan is now to start a family and teach generations of his family the dragon shouts and tame the dragons, until the day we will be called dragon riders.

Sounds good.

Danceofmasks:

JesterRaiin:

What?

Just by existing, his very nature to dominate, even if suppressed, is in and of itself a point of contention.
In the grand scheme of forever, some shit will eventually hit the fan, and if that were to happen without a dovahkiin around, it's a very bad deal for mortals.

Seems to me, the only ones in the whole argument that is thinking in the proper terms of time, that is, dragons are freakin' immortal, is Paarthunax and the Blades.

That!
- There are more far more dangerous threats in the land of Skyrim than ancient, meditative dragon. Bears come to mind. So do bandits, Forsworn and Falmer. Deadric princes with their worshippers. Peryite's pestilence. Long eared invaders. Necromancers.

- Teachings of Greybeards. Teachings of Paarthurnax. Talk to them. Listen to them. Do they strike you as potential threat to anyone ?

- The Way of the Voice. What's it philosophy ? Paarthurnax is the master of the Way.

- Esbern. He's f*king lunatic, suspicious of everything and everyone. He has grounds for that, but his judgment is likely to be clouded.

Courtesy of http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim
- Paarthurnax did rebel against Alduin, and was instrumental in Alduin's first demise.

- Also :

My point stands.

Hey, nice spoilers in the topic title.

Anyway, no I didn't. He was a pretty cool guy. Taught me to yank dragons out of the sky and doesn't afraid of anything.

JesterRaiin:

Danceofmasks:

JesterRaiin:

What?

That!
- There are more far more dangerous threats in the land of Skyrim than ancient, meditative dragon. Bears come to mind. So do bandits, Forsworn and Falmer. Deadric princes with their worshippers. Peryite's pestilence. Long eared invaders. Necromancers.

- Teachings of Greybeards. Teachings of Paarthurnax. Talk to them. Listen to them. Do they strike you as potential threat to anyone ?

- The Way of the Voice. What's it philosophy ? Paarthurnax is the master of the Way.

- Esbern. He's f*king lunatic, suspicious of everything and everyone. He has grounds for that, but his judgment is likely to be clouded.

Courtesy of http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim
- Paarthurnax did rebel against Alduin, and was instrumental in Alduin's first demise.

- Also :

My point stands.

No, your point only stands in hindsight.

Tell me, what exactly are the teachings of the greybeards?
They are neither peaceful or not peaceful. What they are are hermits. That is all.
But where the greybeards can be feasible hermits, because they are mortals and die, dragons can only ever be hermits until they eventually stop being hermits.

It's the eternity argument.

Danceofmasks:

JesterRaiin:

My point stands.

They are neither peaceful or not peaceful. What they are are hermits. That is all.
But where the greybeards can be feasible hermits, because they are mortals and die, dragons can only ever be hermits until they eventually stop being hermits.

The Order of Greybeards and their teachings are "things" valued by Skyrim's inhabitants. With the exception of some small and dense minded people, both simple folk and kings hold them in high esteem. Because they understand the meaning of saying "with great power comes the great responsibility", they live in seclusion even if in some eyes that makes them uncaring. Yet, they know that their power shouldn't be misused for the sake of some petty, childish reasons.

And since you seem to forget that part, i'll remind you, that they weren't formed the day when Dragon's Bane crossed Skyrim's border. They are an ancient order that guards and teaches The Way of Voice.

So, i really can't see how this argument contradicts or disproves what i said eariler.

On the other hand, you sir, chose ONLY ONE of my arguments and tried to disprove it in hope that it'll guarantee your success. Beware. You're wandering straight to the zone populated by dirty tricks. ;)
It's not what we're "arguing" about. It's not who has right. It's also how we do it. :)

JesterRaiin:

Danceofmasks:

JesterRaiin:

My point stands.

The Order of Greybeards and their teachings are "things" valued by Skyrim's inhabitants. With the exception of some small and dense minded people, both simple folk and kings hold them in high esteem. Because they understand the meaning of saying "with great power comes the great responsibility", they live in seclusion even if in some eyes that makes them uncaring. Yet, they know that their power shouldn't be misused for the sake of some petty, childish reasons.

And since you seem to forget that part, i'll remind you, that they weren't formed the day when Dragon's Bane crossed Skyrim's border. They are an ancient order that guards and teaches The Way of Voice.

So, i really can't see how this argument contradicts or disproves what i said eariler.

On the other hand, you sir, chose ONLY ONE of my arguments and tried to disprove it in hope that it'll guarantee your success. Beware. You're wandering straight to the zone populated by dirty tricks. ;)
It's not what we're "arguing" about. It's not who has right. It's also how we do it. :)

I would also like to remind you that angeir's first reaction to your looking for a way to defeat Alduin is that you're not supposed to.
The world is meant to end, because that's Alduin's job.

Yes, people hold the greybeards in high esteem.
But they don't know what they actually stand for, nor do they know a dragon leads them.

What's more, you don't know what Paarthunax's true motives are. None.
Apart from what he says to you, the only thing that can kill him permanently.

I killed him solely because I thought the Blades quest line would go further than it did, after I killed him, it just halted. I felt so bad for killing my ally and then having nothing to do with the Blades ever again.

Danceofmasks:

JesterRaiin:

I would also like to remind you that angeir's first reaction to your looking for a way to defeat Alduin is that you're not supposed to.
The world is meant to end, because that's Alduin's job.

Yes, people hold the greybeards in high esteem.
But they don't know what they actually stand for, nor do they know a dragon leads them.

What's more, you don't know what Paarthunax's true motives are. None.
Apart from what he says to you, the only thing that can kill him permanently.

Why, one of oldest proverbs serves as best argument here :
"You'll know them by their deeds".

- The Greybeards are ancient, powerful ones. They had enough time to build web of lies, contacts, manipulate kings and people, enter structures, steer the empires to the future they think is "best". They chose not to. Why ?

- With the return of Alduin there's no change in their attitude. There's no spontaneous dyeing their beards red, screams "Masssssssssster, your humble sssssservantssss welcome you !" followed by crazy go-go dance and occasional FosDahRohs just for laughs. No. They chose to help a human instead. Potential threat to ALL dragons, not just "evil ones".

- Angeir (like every other Greybeard) is repulsed by violence. Any kind of violence. That's one of reasons why they live in seclusion, right ? But does he prevents Dragon's Bane ? I don't remember "f*ck you savage, go on with your unclean mind, we won't no part in this abbatoir you call 'solution'"...

- At any given moment Paathunax could attack Dragon's Bane. For example by dropping big rock on his head.

- Greybeards could kill Dragon's Bane before or after he came with intention to kill their mentor.

...and so on, and so on, and so on...
Point is, you're using assumptions to justify your actions. I use hard facts. I spared the old dragon, and there's no negative outcome. :)

Never even considered killing him.

As soon as Delphine said that I Fus Roh Dah'd her off the cliff face she was standing on.

Getting between me and my dragon buddies... who the hell are you?

I didn't kill him, he can keep the dragons under control, I'm more powerful than him if he were to turn evil, and if I'm dead and he does, then I'm dead, why should care, I wish there as a quest to kill the blades as well though.

Fawxy:

As soon as Delphine said that I Fus Roh Dah'd her off the cliff face she was standing on.

Damn, wish I'd thought of that! Then again, my character isn't that vengeful. If Delphine had stood in the way of my dragon-based friendship with ol' Parthy more actively, I would have Fus Ro Dah'd the shit out of her.

OT: The Blades storyline really pissed me off.

Proverbial Jon:

Fawxy:

Damn, wish I'd thought of that! Then again, my character isn't that vengeful. If Delphine had stood in the way of my dragon-based friendship with ol' Parthy more actively, I would have Fus Ro Dah'd the shit out of her.

OT: The Blades storyline really pissed me off.

I spent ages refusing to kill him. I didn't care for his past crimes. He'd redeemed himself twice over - once when he betrayed Alduin in the first place, and again when he actively fought with the World Eater when I battled him atop the Throat of the World.

In fact, the only reason I killed Paarthurnax is because I was looking for a challenge. I've reached a stage in the game where I'm practically unkillable, and wander Skyrim looking for an opponent to call my equal. I hoped Paarthurnax would be such an opponent.

Nope. Turns out he really is just a frail old dragon. I felt so bad about killing him afterwards...and the Blades are just such arsewipes.

Paarthurnax was a bro. Some people say he will fuck shit up once the dragonborn is gone, but if he does I can just slap his shit up in the next Elder Scrolls game. Dont step outta line, bitch. Im watching you.

Thyunda:
Nope. Turns out he really is just a frail old dragon. I felt so bad about killing him afterwards...and the Blades are just such arsewipes.

Is Paarthurnax actually weak? I just wander round in the game at the moment having a jolly time doing minor quests, and I'm curious if he's actually weak. By this point I already knew killing Paarthurnax was an option though since I'd seen it on the internet (though if I hadn't I imagine this thread title would have given me a fair idea). Considering my main threat at the moment comes in the form of Blood Dragons, is Paarthurnax even comparable? I'm imagining he'd be really weak so killing him would be a deliberate anti-climax.

Ummmm? Not that it concerns me since I've beaten the game but....SPOILER! HELLO??

This whole thread even before clicking on it spoils a big moment in the game.

Lots of spoilers by the way for people who have not finished certain aspects of the game so click at your peril. Title could have been more tactfully written.

Paul:

Thyunda:

Is Paarthurnax actually weak? I just wander round in the game at the moment having a jolly time doing minor quests, and I'm curious if he's actually weak. By this point I already knew killing Paarthurnax was an option though since I'd seen it on the internet (though if I hadn't I imagine this thread title would have given me a fair idea). Considering my main threat at the moment comes in the form of Blood Dragons, is Paarthurnax even comparable? I'm imagining he'd be really weak so killing him would be a deliberate anti-climax.

Hmm. I don't know about that. At my stage in the game, with my abilities, it takes a fairly lucky Ancient Dragon to take me down. Given that it took one double-power-attack with dual Daedric swords to kill him, I'd say he's equal to anything from a regular dragon to a frost dragon. That double power attack is ridiculously overpowered.

Danceofmasks:
Dragons can only ever be hermits until they eventually stop being hermits.

Some quotes sound better on their own. I like this one.

I have no actual input for this conversation

Spoiler much...

Ah well, it's not such a big and amazing twist, but i'd rather not have known this. May I ask of OP to change the title a bit + adding appropriate spoiler tags to the OP, so other players won't be harmed by this?

Whenever I think of that old geezer I can't help but remember what Odahviing said at the end of the game if you spared Paarthurnax. He might have been Alduin's right hand but he has a point.

The only difference I can see between Alduin and Paarthurnax is that Paarthurnax is way more manipulative and subtle in his actions which would make sense giving that he's the weaker of the two and he could have never had achieved dominance without manipulating mortals.

Thyunda:
Given that it took one double-power-attack with dual Daedric swords to kill him, I'd say he's equal to anything from a regular dragon to a frost dragon. That double power attack is ridiculously overpowered.

Well, I guess it's time for me to work up my Crafting a little bit more since I never craft much. I basically use Mehrunes' Razor as my mainstay of the moment. It's cool looking and while it doesn't do much damage I'm trying to increase my sneaking ability so it's nice to have a sweet looking dagger to clear out bandit camps.

What? No! Why would I want to kill him? He's a total bro! :(

Fuck Delphine and her zealotry. Same for Esbern, whom I hoped would've been more reasonable about it.

I see no reason to kill Paarthunax. He is the only "reformist" dragon we know of, with him dead the only option is to wipe out all dragons everywhere. The Dovahkiin would not be able to track them all down, so many would have to be killed by non dragonborn.

But, since it is hinted that Alduin may eventually return even after you kill him those dragons killed by nondragonborn will simply be revived, and there will be no friendly dragons to consume their souls.

If Parth is left alive, and turns evil, nondragonborn can kill him. It might take some doing but it can be done. There is no chance that Alduin will revive him, since Parth has betrayed Alduin twice now. But, if Parth doesn't turn evil (like he has proven he can do by thousands of years of pacifism) then his peaceful dragons can help mankind if Alduin returns, because only a dragon (or Dragonborn) can permanently killl another dragon. Parth and his students can take out Alduins followers. There is no reason to kill him.

Besides, killing Paarthunax would be killing a massive part of Nord culture. It was he who first taught humans the Thuum.

Nope. I thought he was awesome, while the Blades were kind of... douches. So I let him live.

AndyFromMonday:
Whenever I think of that old geezer I can't help but remember what Odahviing said at the end of the game if you spared Paarthurnax. He might have been Alduin's right hand but he has a point.

The only difference I can see between Alduin and Paarthurnax is that Paarthurnax is way more manipulative and subtle in his actions which would make sense giving that he's the weaker of the two and he could have never had achieved dominance without manipulating mortals.

How is Paarthunax manipulative? He says to your face that the Blades are right to want him dead, that you shouldn't trust him and that he commited horrible crimes.

He offers assistance in every way he can and never tries to harm a person. Without him Alduin could never have been defeated.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked