Poll: Skyrim- Did you kill Paarthurnax?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Nomanslander:

Yes! It is! I think the person that was just spoiled of this knowledge should decide...>>

Uh...it looks like it was spoiled because it was debated which brought to light the full information of the title :/.

But whatever, not like anything can be advanced from the conversation.

Keep fighting the good fight! Live on!

evilneko:

Scott Maunder:
yeah sorry about the spoiler title
give me a break its my first thread

Pfft, don't listen to them--the title itself is not a spoiler. Some people just like to complain.

Welcome to the Escapist. Careful, it's a minefield.

yes, and we are a forum of laws, or nothing.

I tried to kill him too early and he just came back to life.

Nothing like 1 hitting a dragon to death.

I killed the old dragon without hesitation. For one, I found his manner of speaking extremely irritating, speak in plain english or only in the dragon-tounge, not in some condescending mish-mash akin to some arrogant Montreal hipster.

I really wanted to piss off the Greybeards. I only found them a bit odd up until their leader suggested that the world is supposed to end and I should do nothing..then I hated them. I agree with the Blades they are all a bunch of useless old farts.

I though the risk of Paarthurnax becoming a threat to humanity was real, as he had the influence to rally his bretheren. Anyone can say they have changed their ways, when they are simply plotting...waiting for a time when both Alduin and the Dragonborn are out of the picture.

Paarthurnax deserved to face justice for his past crimes. The Nazi war criminals who escaped to S.America may have become very peaceful tolerant folk after the war, but they should still be prosecuted for their past actions..even if that means death.

Finally, the Blades have aided the PC throughout the Elder Scrolls series, time to return the favor. It was a bit of a betrayal to be given an ultimatum, but I would rather support them as they might actually be of some use in the inevitable war with Thalmor.

All I can say is, redemption ftw.
I don't kill characters that I see have redeemed themselves.

Proverbial Jon:

Fawxy:
Never even considered killing him.

As soon as Delphine said that I Fus Roh Dah'd her off the cliff face she was standing on.

Getting between me and my dragon buddies... who the hell are you?

Damn, wish I'd thought of that! Then again, my character isn't that vengeful. If Delphine had stood in the way of my dragon-based friendship with ol' Parthy more actively, I would have Fus Ro Dah'd the shit out of her.

OT: The Blades storyline really pissed me off.

I love that people are still asking for more content in skyrim. I could go ask for more content in modern warfare 2, it is 4 hours long. I am not going to ask for more in a game where I have dropped 150 hours and still want to play more.

Thanks a lot for the spoiler. [insert whichever insult wouldn't get me a warning]

JoesshittyOs:

DagothUr90:
Doesn't matter. Bethesda won't do another Elder Scrolls game.

And why is that?

Reason I last heard was because Bethesda wanted to branch out and not focus themselves on just one series. A rather stupid tactic, but let's just hope I'm wrong, hey?

DagothUr90:

JoesshittyOs:

DagothUr90:
Doesn't matter. Bethesda won't do another Elder Scrolls game.

And why is that?

Reason I last heard was because Bethesda wanted to branch out and not focus themselves on just one series. A rather stupid tactic, but let's just hope I'm wrong, hey?

Well they've certainly not announced it yet and they're probably gonna do Fallout 4, and perhpas another game in between, but they aren't abandoning Elder Scrolls.

Alade:
Thanks a lot for the spoiler. [insert whichever insult wouldn't get me a warning]

You spoiled yourself by clicking the thread. The title didn't spoil anything.

evilneko:

Alade:

Its totally a spoiler. When you first meet paarthurnax he is your friend and nothing indicates that the blades will want him dead(also where did they hear about him existing anyway...)

I have a good memory for spoilers sadly, im glad I already played through that part or I would remember this as soon as I met Paarthurnax.

edit: oh Yeah, and kill paarthurnax? Fuck that! Hes awesome!

No i didn't ...and another thing. How the hell would the blades know if I killed Parthanaax or not. Why couldn't I just straight up told them I did just so I could continue the quest, how would they even be able to verify that claim?

evilneko:

Alade:

I didn't read the thread, I'm at the point in story where I've heard who he is but haven't met him yet (doing everything else first). So now I know that you'll have the option to kill him.

As many have said, Paarthurnax is a bro (And I never refer to anyone as a "bro") and the Blades are dicks. So, yeah, I kept him around. I should've killed Delphine for even suggesting such a thing.

NICE SPOILER IN THE F'IN TITLE OF THIS POST.

and no I let him live, he was cool.

evilneko:

It's not even close to that.

It's more like "Vader has a Star Destroyer."

The title of the thread tells you two things: there's a character named Paarthurnax, and you have the option to kill him.

Well shit, son! There's a character you can kill! Stop the fuckin' presses!

Ok fine, that's how you look at it, but don't tell me or anyone else what is and isn't a spoiler. Why else would there be a thread about killing Paarthurnax if it wasn't part of the story and plot? It's not like the thread asks "did you kill bandits," which is how you see it probably, anyone with half a brain cell would know the only reason a thread would ask a question like that it would have something to do with a moral choice you're going to be faced with.

I mean come on? It's one of the biggest decisions you make in the game, and part of the experience is not knowing what's going to be asked of you.

If you don't want to look at it that way, fine, that's you, but to me it's a spoiler, end of story.

Nomanslander:

evilneko:

It's not even close to that.

It's more like "Vader has a Star Destroyer."

The title of the thread tells you two things: there's a character named Paarthurnax, and you have the option to kill him.

Well shit, son! There's a character you can kill! Stop the fuckin' presses!

Ok fine, that's how you look at it, but don't tell me or anyone else what is and isn't a spoiler. Why else would there be a thread about killing Paarthurnax if it wasn't part of the story and plot? It's not like the thread asks "did you kill bandits," which is how you see it probably, anyone with half a brain cell would know the only reason a thread would ask a question like that it would have something to do with a moral choice you're going to be faced with.

I mean come on? It's one of the biggest decisions you make in the game, and part of the experience is not knowing what's going to be asked of you.

If you don't want to look at it that way, fine, that's you, but to me it's a spoiler, end of story.

Alade:

evilneko:

Alade:

I didn't read the thread, I'm at the point in story where I've heard who he is but haven't met him yet (doing everything else first). So now I know that you'll have the option to kill him.

Fieldy409:

evilneko:

Alade:

Its totally a spoiler. When you first meet paarthurnax he is your friend and nothing indicates that the blades will want him dead(also where did they hear about him existing anyway...)

I have a good memory for spoilers sadly, im glad I already played through that part or I would remember this as soon as I met Paarthurnax.

edit: oh Yeah, and kill paarthurnax? Fuck that! Hes awesome!

You're lettin your knowledge of the game interfere with looking at the issue from a fresh perspective.

The title doesn't tell you who or what Paarthurnax is. Until you actually meet him, the name's meaningless. And if you're being honest with yourself, the ability to kill him shouldn't be a surprise at all. So where's the spoiler?

Oh well.

brainslurper:
I love that people are still asking for more content in skyrim. I could go ask for more content in modern warfare 2, it is 4 hours long. I am not going to ask for more in a game where I have dropped 150 hours and still want to play more.

Fair point. But for me it wasn't really about the lack of content, just the way the existing content was structured. I guess I was hoping for more of a Fallout: New Vegas style whereupon you can side with various factions and eventually have to choose a specific path and certain quests to follow. The crossroads between the Blades and the Greybeards/Paarthurnax felt like one of those moments but it was not. If you refuse to kill Paarthurnax, the blades no longer want to talk to you and even after you have slain a Dragon arguably more powerful then him, they still won't play ball. I guess I was angry, after all that build up, the Blades essentially couldn't care less that the Dragonborn had defeated Alduin.

Nomanslander:
Ummmm? Not that it concerns me since I've beaten the game but....SPOILER! HELLO??

This whole thread even before clicking on it spoils a big moment in the game.

Games been out three months,that's more than enough time to beat it.

Massive spoilers in the thread title.

Classy.

evilneko:

Alade:

The spoiler is in the title of the thread, there for all to see without clicking anything. It's rather short-sighted of you not to see why this is a problem.

Good lord no, I feel bad just killing regular Dragons. I'd feel awful killing one of the few mostly peaceful dragons around.

Paarthunax was definitely the smartest video game character I have ever met.

I would list all of his wise quotes, but my mom is yelling at me to go to sleep as I'm writing this. Maybe I'll edit something in later...

Let him live. The blades exist to serve me, the Dovahkiin. They don't have any right to order me around; they should be kissing my boots and helping me take my rightful place as the Emperor of Tamriel.

Now I'm just waiting on a mod to make that actually be the case.

Gennadios:
I used the all mighty console powers of the PC master race to complete the quest without killing the dragon and still train up the Blades.

Really? I used the same mighty powers, post-endgame, to turn off their "essential" flags and FusRohDah'd the bitch off the mountain.

Felt good, too.

targren:

Gennadios:
I used the all mighty console powers of the PC master race to complete the quest without killing the dragon and still train up the Blades.

Really? I used the same mighty powers, post-endgame, to turn off their "essential" flags and FusRohDah'd the bitch off the mountain.

Felt good, too.

I'm soft. I felt the need to drag the bloated corpse that is the Blades to glory whether they wanted it or not.

In retrospect, it's probably because I spent a large chunk of Morrowind as one of them.

MiracleOfSound:
Massive spoilers in the thread title.

Classy.

A dragon slayer expected to kill a dragon at some point as a plotline? @[email protected];

It's not like the title gives away where or what he is, hell, half these named dragons in the game all sound the same.

Did I kill 'Ambition Overlord Cruelty'?? Yes. Yes I did. In my infinite Dovahkin wisdom I meditated long and decided somebody named FUCKING AMBITION OVERLORD CRUELTY might be threat.

Specifically, here are my reasons. I welcome rebuttals:

1) We don't know if he really is good. Is he really overcoming his nature, or is it a massive plot to outlast Alduin, have the Dovahkin kill his former master, and lure the world into security. He's immortal. The thousands of years he's waited might as well be a blink of an eye. Its never made clear, better be safe.

2)Even if he is telling the truth, he admits it takes constant concentration and willpower to suppress his violent nature. That won't ever slip? Remember, immortal. He literally has ALL OF TIME to fuck up. Better to be safe.

3)He still has not paid for his crimes. Doesn't matter if its been thousands of years, punishment doesn't work that way. We don't let a murderer off because it took us years to find him. Paarthunax doesn't get some magical free pass because he's a dragon. My Skyrim world operates on equality for all. Maybe he has spiritually repented. My business is his 'mortal' punishment, not his ethereal fate. That's between him and the gods. But Ill set up the appointment.

4)This one is pure opinion: I like the Blades more. Maybe because I'm involved in the real military, but I find them to be the 'better' team. I think the Greybeards are soft and timid. Like Delphine says, whats the point of that power if you don't try to use it to better the world? Do they try to stop the Civil War? Stop Alduin. No, at least not until you convince them to do so against their will. They are old men who live in isolation and study and guard knowledge they never use to improve the world. They are self-centered and scared. The Blades are a Special Operations force fighting against essentially Elven Nazis and the end of the world simultaneously. Badass devoted military unit over useless devoted monks please.

evilneko:
The title is not a spoiler.

If you look at the title from the perspective of someone who hasn't progressed the main plot to the point of meeting Papa, the title tells you two things: there is a character named Paarthurnax and at some point, you have the option to kill that character. Since you don't know who or what Paarthurnax is, you're still in the dark. That's...not really a spoiler.

Of course, anyone sensitive about Skyrim spoilers should simply have the good sense not to click on a thread mentioning a name they don't recognize.

Wow. Where to begin. Ok, Para is a main character in the story, right? And he's kind of a big deal. So telling everyone that you get the choice to kill him or not spoils a hell of a lot. It's like telling everyone that that mentor guy who's telling you what to do is actually a bad guy or something.

Secondly, this was spoiled before I even clicked on the thread title, which is entirely my point. Change the bloody thread title.

CalluesCow:
Games been out three months,that's more than enough time to beat it.

Wow.. just... wow. I'm not even going to comment.

There is so much egocentricity in this thread I feel like I'm in a nursery.

Scott Maunder:
snip

Good job putting that in the title, could you not have worded it to be something more appropriate?
Pretty douche baggy of you.

This is like asking Bowen, "If you were in a world in which you could kill Einen, yet keep Draco alive, would you still kill Draco?"

The answer would be no.

Paarthunax. High King. 2012.

Yosharian:

evilneko:

If you look at the title from the perspective of someone who hasn't progressed the main plot to the point of meeting Papa, the title tells you two things: there is a character named Paarthurnax and at some point, you have the option to kill that character. Since you don't know who or what Paarthurnax is, you're still in the dark. That's...not really a spoiler.

Of course, anyone sensitive about Skyrim spoilers should simply have the good sense not to click on a thread mentioning a name they don't recognize.

Wow. Where to begin. Ok, Para is a main character in the story, right? And he's kind of a big deal. So telling everyone that you get the choice to kill him or not spoils a hell of a lot. It's like telling everyone that that mentor guy who's telling you what to do is actually a bad guy or something.

Secondly, this was spoiled before I even clicked on the thread title, which is entirely my point. Change the bloody thread title.

But see, the title doesn't tell you any of that stuff. To someone new to Skyrim, the title of this thread is pretty much meaningless. To someone who has progressed enough to meet him, is it really all that surprising that you have an opportunity to kill him, in a game where killing dragons is kinda a big thing? Especially with all the hints being dropped by the Greybeards and Paarth himself? Honestly, it really shouldn't be.

evilneko:

Yosharian:

evilneko:

But see, the title doesn't tell you any of that stuff. To someone new to Skyrim, the title of this thread is pretty much meaningless. To someone who has progressed enough to meet him, is it really all that surprising that you have an opportunity to kill him, in a game where killing dragons is kinda a big thing? Especially with all the hints being dropped by the Greybeards and Paarth himself? Honestly, it really shouldn't be.

Yes, it's surprising. End of discussion.

Damnit. You're so right. Guess I'll be trekking back to the mountains...

Yosharian:

evilneko:

No, for all anyone knows on seeing it it might as well say "Poll: Morrowind - Did you kill Vivec?" It's certainly an option to kill Vivec in Morrowind, but the decision isn't really a big one nor is it a spoiler. It just means Paarthurnax is killable.

Mortai Gravesend:

Yosharian:

evilneko:

No, for all anyone knows on seeing it it might as well say "Poll: Morrowind - Did you kill Vivec?" It's certainly an option to kill Vivec in Morrowind, but the decision isn't really a big one nor is it a spoiler. It just means Paarthurnax is killable.

This is just ridiculous logic.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked