93.2% (807)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Skyrim- Did you kill Paarthurnax?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Mortai Gravesend:

Yosharian:

evilneko:
The title is not a spoiler.

If you look at the title from the perspective of someone who hasn't progressed the main plot to the point of meeting Papa, the title tells you two things: there is a character named Paarthurnax and at some point, you have the option to kill that character. Since you don't know who or what Paarthurnax is, you're still in the dark. That's...not really a spoiler.

Of course, anyone sensitive about Skyrim spoilers should simply have the good sense not to click on a thread mentioning a name they don't recognize.

Wow. Where to begin. Ok, Para is a main character in the story, right? And he's kind of a big deal. So telling everyone that you get the choice to kill him or not spoils a hell of a lot. It's like telling everyone that that mentor guy who's telling you what to do is actually a bad guy or something.

No, for all anyone knows on seeing it it might as well say "Poll: Morrowind - Did you kill Vivec?" It's certainly an option to kill Vivec in Morrowind, but the decision isn't really a big one nor is it a spoiler. It just means Paarthurnax is killable.

This is just ridiculous logic.

Yosharian:

Mortai Gravesend:

Yosharian:

Wow. Where to begin. Ok, Para is a main character in the story, right? And he's kind of a big deal. So telling everyone that you get the choice to kill him or not spoils a hell of a lot. It's like telling everyone that that mentor guy who's telling you what to do is actually a bad guy or something.

No, for all anyone knows on seeing it it might as well say "Poll: Morrowind - Did you kill Vivec?" It's certainly an option to kill Vivec in Morrowind, but the decision isn't really a big one nor is it a spoiler. It just means Paarthurnax is killable.

This is just ridiculous logic.

Thus explaining your elegant destruction of said logic. Oh wait, you just said it was ridiculous without actually saying why anything was wrong with it.

Woah there cowboy, spoiler alert in the title.

OT: No, did't even consider it. I don't care if he was bad, he seemed chill and helped me.

i didnt kill him i had already beaten the shit out of delphine in riverwood "i'll explain what i want when i want" "YOU EGOTISTICAL BITCH" but besides that when she told me to kill him after the peace treaty i just console commanded away her immortality and slaughtered both her and esbern WITH FIRBALLS so in conclusion FUCK YOU DELPHINE and farewell esbern i didnt hate you too much and happy eternity parthurnax

Scott Maunder:
I have no idea why anyone would want to kill the big green dragon, I mean come on there are so many reasons not to.

1. hes an actually friendly dragon
2. He can upgrade your shouts
3. he has an awesome voice
4. the graybeards will stop helping you if you do
5. Delphines a bitch

Seriously fuck the Blades and their demands.

Well done! Spoilers! Even though I am past all this, SPOILERS!

Nope, well let's put it this way

He helps you, he tells you what needs to be done to defeat your opponent, he doesn't challenge and he doesn't threaten you you and he is very helpful and very forthcoming, he even admits that his past is not all sunshine and roses and that he knew what he was doing was wrong and that he is now trying to atone for these past sins, it also suggest that his actions took place some considerable time in the past so chances are he has been good longer than he was evil.

On the other hand the Blade summon you tell you that he is evil and tell you that unless you kill him they won't help you. Given that they have given you next to no help up till then and give you no rhyme or reason as to what his crimes worthy of his death are, well the blades can go suck it as far as I am concerned.

Proverbial Jon:

brainslurper:
I love that people are still asking for more content in skyrim. I could go ask for more content in modern warfare 2, it is 4 hours long. I am not going to ask for more in a game where I have dropped 150 hours and still want to play more.

Fair point. But for me it wasn't really about the lack of content, just the way the existing content was structured. I guess I was hoping for more of a Fallout: New Vegas style whereupon you can side with various factions and eventually have to choose a specific path and certain quests to follow. The crossroads between the Blades and the Greybeards/Paarthurnax felt like one of those moments but it was not. If you refuse to kill Paarthurnax, the blades no longer want to talk to you and even after you have slain a Dragon arguably more powerful then him, they still won't play ball. I guess I was angry, after all that build up, the Blades essentially couldn't care less that the Dragonborn had defeated Alduin.

I certainly wish that there were a couple more choices for each quest, but the game's production time and cost would have doubled.

I killed him without a second thought.

Why? It's another dragon soul added to my repertoire. This is the same guy who killed everyone possibly killable in Markarth just because I could.

I did not for several reasons.
1. The Greybeards have helped me from whiterun, Ive known the blades like 5 days and they expect me to kill the leader of the people who accepted me into there circle like a son, no way!
2. Paarthurnax helped me with every aspect of defeating Alduin, all the blades did was show me a wall, he told me what shout, how to learn the shout and how to get to the people who could teach me such shout.
3. He has suppressed his nature for 1000 years, if he was going to go and enslave mortals why would he not have done so? There was no dragon born for centuries so he had ample chance yet his mission for dragons is to enlighten them with the "Way of the Voice" which is a peaceful doctrine.
4. My character has become champion for most daedric lords so far, ranging from nocturnal to molag bal, by the time I die my soul is going to be fought over so much im betting I could resurrect before anything bad did happen. Espically since dragonborn seems to be the best mortal servant any daedric lord could have so im hoping they will give me longivity in exchange for something. If not then hell ive got dark brotherhood, thieves guild, college of winterhold and High king Ulfric in my pocket, If im dieing then I can give lessons on how best to kill dragons and teach every able bodied man/woman dragonrend to avert disaster.

Yosharian:

evilneko:

Yosharian:

Secondly, this was spoiled before I even clicked on the thread title, which is entirely my point. Change the bloody thread title.

But see, the title doesn't tell you any of that stuff. To someone new to Skyrim, the title of this thread is pretty much meaningless. To someone who has progressed enough to meet him, is it really all that surprising that you have an opportunity to kill him, in a game where killing dragons is kinda a big thing? Especially with all the hints being dropped by the Greybeards and Paarth himself? Honestly, it really shouldn't be.

Yes, it's surprising. End of discussion.

We've dragged this on enough, I guess. I don't think it's a spoiler because on its own, the title is meaningless to someone who hasn't played or played much of Skyrim, and anyone who's actually been paying attention could easily see the option coming. You think it is because... well, actually I still don't quite understand why you or anyone thinks the title (and the title alone, I do agree the discussion is spoilerific, but hopefully someone who doesn't recognize the name wouldn't click, right?) is a spoiler.

Mortai Gravesend:

And that's just what I was getting at.

I've never even played Morrowind. The question of "Did you kill Vivec?" is to me, meaningless. I don't even know who Vivec is. But, given my previous experience with RPGs and in particular Bethesda RPGs like Oblivion and Fallout 3, I'm not surprised at all that the question of killing or sparing him (or is it her? Or It?) comes up. The question alone doesn't tell me if he's important or not either, since importance to the plot certainly isn't a guaranteed shield against being killed--characters lose their PlotArmor all the time. (Didn't Morrowind not even have the Essential flag in the first place?)

It's as meaningless to me as "Did you bomb the Uhlek Brain World?" probably is to you.

But hey, discussion over. Whatever.

evilneko:

Mortai Gravesend:

And that's just what I was getting at.

I've never even played Morrowind. The question of "Did you kill Vivec?" is to me, meaningless. I don't even know who Vivec is. But, given my previous experience with RPGs and in particular Bethesda RPGs like Oblivion and Fallout 3, I'm not surprised at all that the question of killing or sparing him (or is it her? Or It?) comes up. The question alone doesn't tell me if he's important or not either, since importance to the plot certainly isn't a guaranteed shield against being killed--characters lose their PlotArmor all the time. (Didn't Morrowind not even have the Essential flag in the first place?)

It's as meaningless to me as "Did you bomb the Uhlek Brain World?" probably is to you.

But hey, discussion over. Whatever.

Morrowind had some kind of 'essential' flag, but you could kill them. You'd just get a message telling you how you doomed the world then it would let you keep on playing. In the case of Vivec, he was important for a single plot point, giving you an item and after that point there was no consequence for killing him besides the scary message. But it was so unimportant whether you did or didn't after that point.

It took me a while to decide but in the end I chose to kill him. This was for a couple reasons.

-The blades were one of the most powerful forces in cyrodil and were reduced to nothing. With the aid of the dragonborn, they began to build again, and might be a factor the Thalmor will probably regret messing with to begin with.

- The Greybeards serve no other purpose then to aid the player character in discovering their power. Had they blades survived, they would have been able to train the dragonborn much more efficiently. The greybeards may be masters of the voice, but their fear of using it consumed them. Killing their leader might force them to reflect on what it is they are doing.

-Who is to say odaviing won't teach the dragons to be more like the ones from Dragon Tales? They might listen to him more, being one of Alduins commanders than some old geezer who lives on a mountain in secret.

Me and Paarthurnax go way back, of course I won't kill him.

I can't remember exactly what he said but it's something along the lines of this: Is it better to be born good or to be born evil and overcome your nature through great effort?

Also, he helps save the world so... ya. Fuck the blades. It's a shame because I really liked them in Oblivion.

I Can't bring myself to kill Paarthurnax. And im automaticly against the Blades because they are imperial puppets and slaves. Everything remotely related to the dying Empire is something I as a true nord resent and put an end to. It's a shame you cannot slay them, ending the Blades existance for ever more.

I've said this before, but I LOOOOOVE katanas and samurai armor, so I wanted to do stuff with the blades as soon as possible so I could get my Akaviri swords and sweet armor again.

And then Delphine and Esbern basically said I wasn't welcome unless I killed Paarthunax.

I wish there was an option to say 'fuck you, I don't want your help then' because that's exactly what I said. I stole all the katanas and armor pieces in their little coffer and dropped them off the side of the mountain. I was so pissed I didn't even want them anymore.

Paarthunax was once an evil bastard who killed more than his fair share of people along with Alduin. But he repented. I have a lot of respect for those who do that, to admit fault and commit themselves to rectifying it. Killing him would have ruined any chance for other dragons to learn The Way of the Voice, which could very well be Tamriel's only chance for peace with the dragons.

I just want to shout at the blades 'You dumb pretentious pricks! The one good dragon in the world, who has helped humanity in the past and is the only reason I could defeat Alduin at all and you just go "Kill de dwagon derp derp". Fuck your noise'. Then I disabled the essential status and went a chopping.

So yeah, I have a character that sided with the empire and exterminated the blades - that also brutaly murders any high elf.

Somonah:
I killed him. Didn't even think twice about it. They told me to kill him so i wnt back up the mountain and put arrows in his head.

... not his knee?

Sorry.

I did not kill. a) upgraded shouts and b) awesome interspersion of dov and English. Hin rahgol zeymah?

I didn't want to, but I tried anyways, but the game glitched out and I couldn't damage him. Not even cheats could. So I quit the game and moved on.

I did not kill him. In fact I decided to sever all ties with the Blades after that. I worked with them to begin with because their goals were in line with mine - that Alduin had to be killed. After I had received what aid they could provide for me I had no intention of following through with their genocidal intentions. While true dragons poss a great threat to humanity, I don't think it's within anyone right to completely eliminate an entire race.

Not only that but Paarthurnax was the first dragon to befriend humans. He would become the first step in eventually creating a mutual peace between both humanity and the dragons.

Nope. Delphine wants him dead, she can kill him herself. I don't care what he did before, he's a different...dragon...now. If he was a human, the same rules wouldn't apply, but he's not. He's immortal. He's had centuries to learn from his mistakes, and he clearly has. Like I said, if she wants him dead, she's welcome to do it herself.

firstly, thanks for having the name of this thread ruin the fact that id have to kill him, secondly i did but i felt sad afterwards

I didn't do in Paarthanux. The Blades' reasons made no sense to me. They said he couldn't be trusted, but P had just helped me get the one Thu'um I needed to beat Alduin and then helped me fight him.

If he was really untrustworthy, he could've claimed that he needed the Elder Scroll for XYZ reason, taken it, ran off to talk to Alduin, and set up an inescapable trap. Heck, if he'd wanted me dead, all he'd have had to do was pretend he had no idea how to get Dragonrend or say that it was lost forever.

The point is, Paarthanux was in a position to completely screw me over and, not only did he not do it, he put his own scaly hide on the line for my benefit.

No I didn't. I found him quite delightful, actually. I mean, come on, most dragons I come across want to flambe me, but this guy wants to discuss philosophy. Awesome!

That and the Blades are dicks. So what I did was open the console and type setstage mqpaarthurnax100. It marked the quest as completed, Paarthurnax still lived, the Greybeards still speak to me, and I got to feel like I was telling the Blades a big fat lie and they were totally buying it like complete idiots.

for those who killed him, don't u feel like judas?
betraying jesus like that

Eh, no. For me this was one of the clear-cut moral choices in the game. The Blades' arguments against him could be summed up as "he used to be a bad guy and he deserves to die for that".

The arguments against the Blades' position were thus:
1) Paarthanax was one of the first to rebel against Alduin, meaning that as far as dragons go he would probably be the most valuable ally to humanity available. As noted by the Greybeards, Paarthanax was associated with Alduin in the past because at that point ALL dragons served Alduin. That Paarthanax rebelled speaks volumes.
2) He is directly responsible for the creation of the Greybeards, a group nigh-universally respected in Skyrim, and their Way of the Voice, which emphasizes non-violence
3) By teaching humans how to use the Thuum and helping to orchestrate their rebellion against the dragons, he is one of the primary reasons that humans could live free of draconic tyranny in the first place.
4) He's the one who told you how to learn Dragonrend, which is what allows you to defeat Alduin

So yeah, I listened to the Blades...and then I told Paarthanax and the Greybeards about it and we all had a good laugh.

ok so I couldn't figure out what to do then i decided to list the reasons not to do it

1. Delphine's reasons made no sense to me at all.
2. Paarthanax had plenty of time to make up for what he did
3. He could have lied about the Dragonrend shout and say there was no way to learn it.
4. He could have bit my head off when I asked him about defeating Alduin but he didn't
5. He is all nice and calm about things
6. I only knew the blades for 3 days and all they did was send me on a possible suicide mission to the thalmor embassy
7. He is the leader of the greybeards
8. Hes like the grandpa I always wanted ^~^

theres actually no reason I can think of to kill Paarthanax

No and I was shocked and confused when The Blades told me I was supposed to. I thought they were just tricking me since there wasn't a quest for it. I was so confused, shocked and, disgusted by their orders that I tried to kill them but they seem to have contracted type-1 Immortality and wouldn't fall.

Paarthurnax helped me out more than any other NPC in any other Elder Scrolls game. Ever. There was no way in Hell I was going to kill the guy.

Hell yes I did.
You can never trust a dragon...

>.>
<.<

Replace man with dragon and gringo with everything that's not a dragon, and you get how I feel about those scumbags...

I didn't kill him. It may have been in his nature to be a threat, but in some way it's in all of our natures to do so. Paarthurnax showed that whatever his emotional attachments, he could do the right thing, by having you kill his brother. He seemed to be doing much good in the world and no evil.

Captcha: "no brainer"

I took a slightly different approach to everyone else. I didnt act for or against Parthanax's death. I took some time to talk to Esbern, Delphine, and Angier about it and ultimately decided that if the blades wanted him dead they would have to do it themselves, and keep killing him over the years.

Angier probably said the best thing about my decision "sometimes the wisest course of action is to do nothing"

In hindsight, I believe in second chances and while Parthanax did help enslave the world I think his later actions set things right. If he had never acted to free Skyrim from Alduin's tyranny I would say sure kill him off but he seems genuinely remorsful for what happened so I think he deserves a second chance.

Fuck no! And the first person I ever meet that says they did - I'm going to kick their fucking ass in!

lol

kidding ^^

Maybe...??
-_-

Neither - I downloaded a mod that lets me tells the Blades that since I am their Master and fully capable off my breaking size 12 foot off in their ass that they're going to listen to me, and since I'm not a paranoid, homicidal maniac, we're not going to kill the nice dragon in Skyrim and piss off the people who helped me a shit ton more than they did, to which they meekly agree and apologize for offending me and it lets me complete the quest while leaving Parthy alive.

This "ancient duty" the Blades call the killing of dragons is based off a time when the dragons were waging an all-out war against mortals. The idea of one being friendly would have been unthinkable at the time. Now the situation is different, and Paarthunax is the first of his kind to take a different direction. There's a reason tradition is abandoned - it's based on an unchanging philosophy that becomes redundant as things change.

Sticking to this tradition is pointless and illogical in the end. Paarthunax is good and remorseful, and that's enough for me. Good luck killing him without me, Blades.

Captcha: Hug Me.

See? Why don't we spread the love instead?

Hell no, I love Paarthunax, he was helpful and one of the few characters in Skyrim who wasn't a douchebag (i'm looking at you, Ulfric Stormcloak). Besides I side with the Greybeards on how the Thu'um should be used, so I flipped the Blades off and sided with Paarthunax, also the Blades are traitors, they're supposed to follow the Dovakiin and they order me to kill a reformed Dragon or they won't follow me? Screw the Blades, Paarthunax and Greybreads FTW

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked