Are you still getting Mass Effect 3?
Yes, I don't care/want to see the ending.
63% (1077)
63% (1077)
No, they're going too far.
21% (359)
21% (359)
I'll wait for the Goatee-Edition
7.8% (133)
7.8% (133)
Other
7.5% (129)
7.5% (129)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Are you still getting Mass Effect 3?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

With all the news lately I'm rather unsure if I'm still interested in the game...

Let's recapitulate all the stuff I remember:

- "Mandatory" Online Mode (cause every EA game has to have one)
- Origin only Integration on PC
- "tweaked" to appeal to a larger market (didn't they say that about Dragon Age 2? Also "skip dialogue"-Mode cause the simplest mechanics like deciding and clicking on a reply is STILL too dull for some people and that's who they are developing their "RPGs" for nowadays, Kinect etc.)
- Game looks like it could fit more into the Gears of War universe than Mass Effect from promotional material/trailers
- Collector's Edition/Deluxe Exclusive DLC (Bonus Mission + Character, Arsenal Pack, Hoodie, Robotic Dog, Squad Appearence Pack)
- Pre-Order Boni from certain Retailers, like AT-12 Raider Shotgun or Warfare Gear etc.
- Cross-Game Promotions forcing you to play Demos of other games (e.g. Kingdom of Amalur for Launcher Weapon + Armor)
- Exclusive Bonus DLC on Action Figures ("Collect all 8 for the full experience!") and Artbook
- Anyone wanna bet there's gonna be a Failbook game to play too and maybe they'll offer Dr. Pepper codes like Battlefield 3 to go? There's still time till release...

It is a rental at this point. All of that stuff is true, but what really scared me about the game was the story leaks. Oh dear, those leaks....

its honestly looking more and more like a wait and purchase a bundle with all the dlc. all these retail specific and now figurine random dlc's are starting to piss me off

Sure.

The last two games were good and great respectively and everything I've seen and played of the third one has led me to believe it will be a worthy successor.

Honestly, most of your complaints strike me as decidedly petty.

- Co-op multiplayer. Yeah, it's nothing special. But it doesn't detract from the rest of the game.
- Origin. I can see why this annoys people. Hell, it irritates me. However, I installed Origin for BF3 and so far it hasn't caused my PC to kill me in my sleep.
- RPG/action/story mode. OH NO, OPTIONS! They're letting other people play the game how they want to! The end times are upon us my friends!
- Gears of Mass Effect. Yeah, because the previous games never had shooting and explosions, right? Besides, how are they supposed to put story and dialogue in promotional material? They tried that for ME2 and everyone complained about the spoilers.
- There's a collectors edition. This is bad... how, exactly?
- Pre-order and cross-game promotions... once again, how is this a bad thing?
- Nobody is making anyone by the stupid action figure things.
- "Failbook"? Oh sir, truly you exemplify the lofty heights of wit.

Everything you listed is a point in the game's favour, if you ask me.

Gosh, you'd almost think you were being punished with all of these new ways to enjoy the Mass Effect universe.

"Oh no, the game has an option to auto-select dialogue tree choices and Kinect functionality. Whatever will I do with these completely optional features that I don't have to partake in in any way?! Why did BioWare ever think I would want to enjoy playing Mass Effect with my friends or enjoy a spiffing new piece of armour in-game as a reward for purchasing brand merchandise? Don't get me started on them learning from their mistake with Mass Effect 2 and only showing non-story spoiler content in the trailers so I wouldn't have a diminished experience upon launch!

A curse on them and their families, I say, a curse!"

I will definately buy this. While I like RPGs there's no excuse for shitty combat, so I have no problem with the direction ME2 took. I have also loved the story, and don't know of anywhere else in gaming where you can get that level of involvement and character development.

So in summary, yes I will buy this. ME2 may be my favourite game ever, and a load of perihiperal stuff about DLC isn't going to put me off.

Really, who cares about appearance packs and extra weapons? There's no competitive multiplayer to unbalance. I'll do the same as I did with ME2, buy all the quest DLC and skip the nonsense.

nikki191:
its honestly looking more and more like a wait and purchase a bundle with all the dlc. all these retail specific and now figurine random dlc's are starting to piss me off

Have they done a bundle with any Mass Effect so far? I've not seen one but may have missed it.

Figurine DLC for a grand total of $271.96 or 32.000 MS points?

As the frustrated Chinese zookeeper said to the last male panda on earth.....FUCK THAT!

EDIT: I'll just wait for the Complete, non-Origin edition....if that's ever going to happen.

Dexter111:
With all the news lately I'm rather unsure if I'm still interested in the game...

Let's recapitulate all the stuff I remember:

- "Mandatory" Online Mode (cause every EA game has to have one)
- Origin only Integration on PC
- "tweaked" to appeal to a larger market (didn't they say that about Dragon Age 2? Also "skip dialogue"-Mode cause the simplest mechanics like deciding and clicking on a reply is STILL too dull for some people and that's who they are developing their "RPGs" for nowadays, Kinect etc.)
- Game looks like it could fit more into the Gears of War universe than Mass Effect from promotional material/trailers
- Collector's Edition/Deluxe Exclusive DLC (Bonus Mission + Character, Arsenal Pack, Hoodie, Robotic Dog, Squad Appearence Pack)
- Pre-Order Boni from certain Retailers, like AT-12 Raider Shotgun or Warfare Gear etc.
- Cross-Game Promotions forcing you to play Demos of other games (e.g. Kingdom of Amalur for Launcher Weapon + Armor)
- Exclusive Bonus DLC on Action Figures ("Collect all 8 for the full experience!") and Artbook
- Anyone wanna bet there's gonna be a Failbook game to play too and maybe they'll offer Dr. Pepper codes like Battlefield 3 to go? There's still time till release...

Except for the Origin thing (which is a legitimate concern for PC-users), most of those look like "THEY ARE ADDING THINGS TO THE GAME!". The extra DLC is just that - additional weapons / appearances added on top of the game. The skip-dialog mode is an addition (one you may not like, but it's there). The multiplayer is an addition that you're not forced to play.

I am totally still getting it, and I couldn't care less about anything extra they're adding that wouldn't interest me / be available to me.

Yes. I've gone this far, and I'm not letting EA get in my fucking way to see the ending. I want this case closed.

9thRequiem:
The extra DLC is just that - additional weapons / appearances added on top of the game.

You can call it addition, I call it blatant monetization and marketing of game aspects.
Maybe when you have to buy your game in pieces (and it obviously adds to 3x the price + for the same product) you'll see the light.

The skip-dialog mode is an addition (one you may not like, but it's there). The multiplayer is an addition that you're not forced to play.

You can call it addition, I call it dumbing down and delaying/spending a lot of time/money on non-essential parts of the game because EA dictates that Single-Player games are finished and they need to cater to specific crowds and "buzz words".

I'm on XBOX 360 so this Origin thing doesn't apply but I have to admit I feel sorry for those loyal PC gamers. What a cop put. But I'm a massive fan of the MEW series, have pre-ordered the Collectors Edition and cannot wait. But I won't be running after the DLC like they want us too. I don't support this ridiculous notion that you can only get DLC if you "order from this shop" or "buy this item" ect. The games themselves are dear enough they're being cheeky charging for all sorts of other editions.

Yes, I'm still getting it. Most of that stuff doesn't even bother/effect me all that much so it really doesn't matter to me. Having read the actual leaked script I can confirm that my biggest annoyances come from some aspects of the plot (example, everything to do with EDI in Mass Effect 3 is retarded) but I can still live with it because there are some good moments.

At the end of the day I just want to be able to get closure with beloved characters, conclude my romance with Ashley, save the galaxy for the last time, defeat the Reapers and be able to rest comfortably knowing that I can check 'Mass Effect' off my long 'to-do' list and focus on something else, like my studies at University this year.

I enjoyed ME2 a lot and this looks like more of the same with an co-op mode to boot. I'd say that was a good thing, plus I finally get to play as a Turian.

I love how people are complaining about OPTIONAL content. As in stuff they never have to bother with if they don't want to. Providing options for people with different play styles, THE HORROR!

I'll probably wait a little after launch though, just because I don't trust Bioware as much as I did after DA:Origins.

Definitely still getting it. Virtually all of the DLC included in store-specific pre-orders or those action figures is going to be worthless anyway, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Same with any potential facebook game.

My only concern was that I feel they got it absolutely perfect with ME2, so any major changes could really only make things worse.

Yes, I'll still get it.

I don't like to get all worked up over a game that hasn't even come out yet. I loved ME2 and even though I don't think I'll even use the online multiplayer, I do still want to know how it all ends. For now, I'm optimistic enough to think that they'll see this through and we'll get a good ending to the series.

Wasn't it Yahtzee who said that developers should never ever listen to fans? The man had a point.

Either way, of course there'll be tweaks to the gameplay and things will have changed. Things changed between ME1 and ME2 and of course opinions differ, but I'd pick ME2 over ME1 any day. Let's just wait till the game comes out and then see if there's still something to complain about.

I may buy it launch, may not, all depends on my mood and funds at the time. If I do end up buying on launch though, I am not opening it at all until there is a Origin free crack that I can install.

I'm tired of creating frivolous accounts for so many damn games and services, I just want to play the damn game without that nonsense. I wouldn't mind if Origin was only for the downloadable version of the game, but fuck you for forcing my hard copy to require it.

All the other stupid nonsense like the multiplayer, "accessible modes", and whatnot I'll just ignore and pretend they never existed. SO I may get it when there is a price drop anyways to pay what the game is worth to me sans all that shit i don't care about. I'm not that enamored with the series, primary reason I'm getting it is just just finish it off since I have the other two. Then I can put this average series behind me...that's unless the 3rd somehow elevates my opinion of the series (haha good luck).

I'm still getting it. I doubt that the figurine DLC will be that important, and I'm getting it on 360, so I don't have to worry about Origin. I have it pre-ordered, so it's fine for me. I can adapt to the game changing; and I can, apparently, work with the devil (EA) and still have fun.

Yes, I will.

To be honest all I really care about is that they don't screw up the story and characters, and deliver a fitting finale with engaging and funny character moments and some Shepard-Is-Awesome bits.

Gameplay changes don't bother me much - I find ME's actual gameplay extremely average but that's not why I like the series - and the DLC I'll ignore just as I ignored it for 1 and 2.

Yes, I'm getting it. I don't like this scattered DLC thing they're doing (except for the Amalur demo. That's a good way to do it). I think the Collector's Edition of a game should have everything that's available at launch included. But I know those things aren't going to affect the game much. Origin is unfortunate (I guess) for PC gamers. The multiplayer sounds like an afterthought. I actually always forget about it until I hear it mentioned again.

The Gears of War criticism was inaccurate two years ago, and is still inaccurate today. They are improving both the combat and the RPG mechanics. Sometimes I feel like some people will only be happy with the worst combat ever and 10,000 meaningless items to manage (the original's RPG elements were not deep. There was less meaningful choice than in the second game as far as your inventory goes, because it was always clear which was the best way to go).

So there are a few things that bother me, but I'm still solid on my CE preorder (placed all the way back in July). Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect are my first and third favorite games of all time, after all.

Despite the enjoyment I had with Mass Effect and its sequel, I have no plans for ME3. As a PC guy the origin exclusivity has a lot to do with it. I will wait until there is a way to avoid using origin, be that through some sort of workaround or preferably, EA realizing the best way to market to the PC gaming crowd is to put it on steam. It will initially annoy me that I won't be able to conclude the stories of the different characters but I have little doubt I will eventually purchase it at a reduced pricepoint.

I can sympathize with all the people complaining about all the additional features (Kinect, multiplayer, etc.) some of which will not be usable on the PC. I get the gut feeling that all the features that are marketed as appealing to a wider audience are EA telling Bioware that they have to do this in order for EA to still publish it, same with the DLC. This is EA's business model, nobody should be surprised by this. My problem with it is that it forces Bioware to take away development time from what made the games stand out to work on EA's marketing requirements.

According to an article I read on PC-Gamer, it WILL require Origins to play it. No. I'm not installing that blatant Data-Mining software on my computer. Also, I don't want to support EA with my money. Just reading about the studios they've run into the ground leaves me with a sick feeling.

No. Mass effect 3 is EVERYTHING wrong with the gaming industry.
It has been streamlined for a wider audience.
PC version is only available through a spyware service
You don't buy the game, you have to preorder, get the overpriced collectors edition, and buy no less than 6 figurines in order to get the entire game.
It will be dumbed down, making sure that even new players can understand the already simple story.
It is appealing to the lowest common denominator, with the Ashley catsuit and the Gears of War gameplay.
It is also owned by the worst publisher there is.

I will never buy ME3.

SpartanBlackman:
You don't buy the game, you have to preorder, get the overpriced collectors edition, and buy no less than 6 figurines in order to get the entire game.

Quick, find a Capcom thread, they're calling for your wisdom!

Seriously though, I think you're confusing bonus content with a full game. The figurines are (and I swear this is the last time I will say it) bonus, randomised, asthetic DLC for multiplayer, which you all moan about anyways. The preorder, admittedly, comes with an extra mission and character (both of which will almost certainly be normal DLC. Bit of a rip admittedly, but hey, they're a business too), but the rest are things like a robotic dog that does nothing extra.

Well, I have about four Shepards whose story I need to conclude...

I dunno. If the game holds up on the story and gameplay side, I'll acquire it. I don't see how a bunch of additions and preorder bonuses could make the singleplayer any worse than ME2, which also had these except the multiplayer thing. And I liked ME2. Like, a lot.

Dexter111:

Maybe when you have to buy your game in pieces (and it obviously adds to 3x the price + for the same product) you'll see the light.

That's a slippery-slope fallacy if I ever saw one.

Dexter111:
-snip-

The only ones that would affect me as a player would be the online mode and origin, neither of which I really mind that much. It is frustrating that EA got petulant and pulled it from Steam, but this is the only game I regularly play from them so I don't see not paying for the game as much of a detriment to them. As for the people who call Origin "spyware," I'm not so arrogant as to think there is any information on my computer that would be even remotely useful to EA in any endeavor they might pursue. Unless I start getting malware, I couldn't care less.

I don't really care about skip-dialog, I simply plan on (gasp!) not using it. As for gears of war, that's really the first I've heard of that, and I really think it's unfair to judge a game by it's trailer and promotional artwork. That stuff is always made early in the development schedule and is always overblown and a pretty inaccurate representation of what the final product will be like.

Collector's edition...so what? If you don't like it, don't buy it. And I'd like to know how they are "forcing" you to play those demos. Are you literally going to be locked out of Mass Effect 3 until you complete them, or is it just a matter of them being automatically installed with the game? And bonus online material with physical action figures??!??! GASP! What a horrible concept, giving free extras away with extras you buy. Again, if you don't like them, don't buy them. And the whole failbook thing is just a snide comment doing nothing for your case.

Yes, for all my bitching and for every troubling thing I've heard, I'm still getting it.
Mass Effect 1 is my absolute favorite game, even if it all goes to hell I must see how that saga ends.

My PS3 is currently dead which gives me a good enough reason to wait till it comes down in price a tad and read some reviews on it. If my PS3 was operational tho i'd probably end up buying it on release.

Zhukov:
Sure.

The last two games were good and great respectively and everything I've seen and played of the third one has led me to believe it will be a worthy successor.

Honestly, most of your complaints strike me as decidedly petty.

- Co-op multiplayer. Yeah, it's nothing special. But it doesn't detract from the rest of the game.
- Origin. I can see why this annoys people. Hell, it irritates me. However, I installed Origin for BF3 and so far it hasn't caused my PC to kill me in my sleep.
- RPG/action/story mode. OH NO, OPTIONS! They're letting other people play the game how they want to! The end times are upon us my friends!
- Gears of Mass Effect. Yeah, because the previous games never had shooting and explosions, right? Besides, how are they supposed to put story and dialogue in promotional material? They tried that for ME2 and everyone complained about the spoilers.
- There's a collectors edition. This is bad... how, exactly?
- Pre-order and cross-game promotions... once again, how is this a bad thing?
- Nobody is making anyone by the stupid action figure things.
- "Failbook"? Oh sir, truly you exemplify the lofty heights of wit.

I agree with this person. It's not like you have to buy all the action figures and stuff for extra weapons - you don't need them! Don't think I used any of the pre-order weapons in ME2. As for the demo bit... so what? That's basically them asking you to sit through an advert, then giving you stuff afterwards. You don't have to do it, and you certainly don't have to buy anything.

Origin is, as ever, all kinds of shit, but since my computer can barely run portal or TF2, I'll be xbox-ing this one.

No, I've been boycotting EA for several months now. I'm sick of their bullshit. I don't care how this series ends anymore, I don't want anything to do with EA.

I think EA does a lot of things to try to handicap the game like Origin and all the extra-crossover-soda-facebook-la-de-da. But Mass Effect (1 and 2) is a great game and theres a lot of good stuff in there. Just because its not as perfect as it could easily be it doesn't mean its bad.

I haven't preordered it but ME3 is definately a day 1 purchase for me. Oddly enough so is Kingdom of Alamur: Reckoning.

Requiring Origin to be installed just to play it killed my enthusiasm.

I'll play it eventually, I just might not purchase it. If I'm horrendously bored at the time it comes out then I'll likely pirate it. I'd buy it, but I'm not ok with giving EA access to all the information about what my computer's doing. If I'm not horrendously bored, then I'll likely wait until it comes out on Steam on sale or something.

How exactly is trying out a free demo of another game and getting some stuff for a game you might want to get anyway a bad thing the demo could take 15 minutes of your life and you might enjoy so its win/win so stop complaining and go spread your misery somewhere else

I'm not really happy with what seems to be their plan to turn the whole game into DLC chunks.

I'll have to wait and see.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked