Which fighting game series do you play the most?
Street Fighter
18.4% (21)
18.4% (21)
Marvel Vs. Capcom
14% (16)
14% (16)
King of Fighters
0.9% (1)
0.9% (1)
Mortal Kombat
11.4% (13)
11.4% (13)
Tekken
13.2% (15)
13.2% (15)
BlazBlue
12.3% (14)
12.3% (14)
GuiltyGear
3.5% (4)
3.5% (4)
Other.
26.3% (30)
26.3% (30)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: The Escapist Fighting Game Community

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah and also KOF

While I do love to play street fighter, I prefer the soul caliber games, can't wait for 5. I also can't wait for Persona 4 The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena, A fighting game spin-off that continues the story of persona 4 but it's unknown whether it will be released outside japan. The popularity of persona 3 and 4 in America and Europe kind of improve the odds.

TizzytheTormentor:
While I do love to play street fighter, I prefer the soul caliber games, can't wait for 5. I also can't wait for Persona 4 The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena, A fighting game spin-off that continues the story of persona 4 but it's unknown whether it will be released outside japan. The popularity of persona 3 and 4 in America and Europe kind of improve the odds.

PS3 is region-free, just import.

I'm playing an imported blazblue CS extend right this moment, it works fine.

I know but I play the 360 for most games and don't own a PS3 and don't want one.

Aww, sorry bout that. I'm used to everyone in the fighting community using a ps3 cause the 360's controller is kinda bad.

StriderShinryu:

el snipo

Nice to see some OG here.

And, I'm having the same problem. Both Juri and Hwoarang are also my mains, and I was planning a team TKD as well, but then I saw Devil Jin. If there was one char that stole Hwoarang's "main" status in Tekken 5 for me was Devil Jin... So, I might be going Juri x Devil Jin, depends.

Also, I agree that the whole "GAME CAN'T BE WITHOUT GEMS!" thing was your typical bullshit to make us swallow it. The existed before the gems and looked fine. That said, I still think that two things NEED to change about gems:

#1 - You need to be able to know which gems your opponent has. Street Fighter is a game of perfect knowledge. You know what the other character is capable of. You know what they're carrying. "Hidden variables" diminuish the influence of player skill and introduce random factors, which need to fuck off and die from competitive games.

Daystar Clarion:
It's Mahvel baby!

Mag-fucking-neto! Scoops!

Oh Yipes, stay godlike.

Anyways, yes I could guess Amy was one of your chars... For some odd reason!

Also, does every single MvC player in this site play X-23? Seriously, look through the thread. Almost everyone. But yeah, Amy is great. Cold star is a nice assist, she does decent damage as anchor, slow field is a nightmare for some characters, and her low hitbox means things like Wesker's gun shots go straight over her.

I've always been into Mortal Kombat and I've recently gotten into Tekken too, I bought Tekken Hybrid for Tekken Tag HD and I'm currently playing Tekken 6 (though the scenario mode is kinda pissing me off).

I'l get Tekken Tag 2, and Tekken x Street Fighter when they come out, Soul Caliber looks kinda interesting, I've never played it though!

Soxafloppin:
I've always been into Mortal Kombat and I've recently gotten into Tekken too, I bought Tekken Hybrid for Tekken Tag HD and I'm currently playing Tekken 6 (though the scenario mode is kinda pissing me off).

I'l get Tekken Tag 2, and Tekken x Street Fighter when they come out, Soul Caliber looks kinda interesting, I've never played it though!

If you like Tekken you should totally give SC a chance. They're very similar "in spirit", but different enough that you don't feel like you're playing the same game.

I was always into the SNK fighters, strangely not King of Fighters though, I can't say no to Samurai Showdown and Art of Fighting with its Andy Garcia lookalike (which capcom created Dan as a pisstake of!). My fighting game play time started to decline about 10 years ago though although I still fondly remember going to arcades to play SNK brawlers and seeing SNK pro's playing, if you've seen an SNK pro you'll notice how they've grown an extra finger and lost the use of their stomach and bladder so they never need to move away from the cabinet to do stuff like eating which might get in the way digitally destroying everyone and everything in sight of that 26 by 26 inch screen.

Soul Edge and Soul Caliber up to 2 were also good, what the hell went wrong with 4 I don't know.

Daystar Clarion:
It's Mahvel baby!

UMvC3 is my game of choice, managed to get my rank to High Lord in MvC3, but I've been spending a lot of time in lobbies in Ultimate, so I'm only a 4th Lord.

X-23, Vergil and Ammy, all wearing white of course :D

X-23 is so damn quick, it's insane, and the different directional talon attacks are good methods for getting around screen. I used Vergil's Rapid Slash assist to pick up enemies after an OTG Ankle Slice to extend combos, get the hard KO, Ankle Slice again and then straight into Rage Trigger. Because they mostly end up in the corner and Rage Trigger makes enemies recover in the air, I go for an air grapple and reset the combo. Most characters usually don't survive two of those combos. Using Ammy's Cold Star assist gives great mixup opportunities with Mirage Feint.

Vergil is my damage dealer, he has insane strength, but his biggest flaw is the recovery time of his moves, so I make sure that I end all my block strings with Ammy's Cold star so that I can get Vergil out of those situations. Cold Star is great for mixing up characters that are landing after a combo by using his teleport, so even if they manage to figure out which way to block, they can't counter attack because Ammy's Cold Star still hasn't quite finished. Also Dark Angel is the tits.

Ammy is my backup plan. I've used her since day one of Vanilla. I've destroyed entire teams with level 3 X-factored Ammy. Also, nobody expects her counters, because everyone assumes that Ammy users will just spam H.

you use the same team as me!
Although, from how you describe it, you do it different to me.

So, i do all that stuff with X-23 too, but... i wouldve described my use of talon attack to stay constantly mobile above those...
I use Vergil for mix-ups using teleports and Cold Star, but mine is a simple Vergil and i dont do much damage with him... he still works well.
Ammy... well, cold star, and amazing pressure with her air dash-air heavy... her counters play a large part in my strategy too, but its all too often disabled by projectile assist+teleport weskers and such, but it prevents most people using Air S openings, or at least makes them nervous.

i feel X-23 does better as an anchor than Ammy though... as i said in my earlier post... i use Vergil/Ammy/X-23, id never put my precious X-23 in the first slot...

garjian:

Daystar Clarion:
It's Mahvel baby!

UMvC3 is my game of choice, managed to get my rank to High Lord in MvC3, but I've been spending a lot of time in lobbies in Ultimate, so I'm only a 4th Lord.

X-23, Vergil and Ammy, all wearing white of course :D

X-23 is so damn quick, it's insane, and the different directional talon attacks are good methods for getting around screen. I used Vergil's Rapid Slash assist to pick up enemies after an OTG Ankle Slice to extend combos, get the hard KO, Ankle Slice again and then straight into Rage Trigger. Because they mostly end up in the corner and Rage Trigger makes enemies recover in the air, I go for an air grapple and reset the combo. Most characters usually don't survive two of those combos. Using Ammy's Cold Star assist gives great mixup opportunities with Mirage Feint.

Vergil is my damage dealer, he has insane strength, but his biggest flaw is the recovery time of his moves, so I make sure that I end all my block strings with Ammy's Cold star so that I can get Vergil out of those situations. Cold Star is great for mixing up characters that are landing after a combo by using his teleport, so even if they manage to figure out which way to block, they can't counter attack because Ammy's Cold Star still hasn't quite finished. Also Dark Angel is the tits.

Ammy is my backup plan. I've used her since day one of Vanilla. I've destroyed entire teams with level 3 X-factored Ammy. Also, nobody expects her counters, because everyone assumes that Ammy users will just spam H.

you use the same team as me!
Although, from how you describe it, you do it different to me.

So, i do all that stuff with X-23 too, but... i wouldve described my use of talon attack to stay constantly mobile above those...
I use Vergil for mix-ups using teleports and Cold Star, but mine is a simple Vergil and i dont do much damage with him... he still works well.
Ammy... well, cold star, and amazing pressure with her air dash-air heavy... her counters play a large part in my strategy too, but its all too often disabled by projectile assist+teleport weskers and such, but it prevents most people using Air S openings, or at least makes them nervous.

i feel X-23 does better as an anchor than Ammy though... as i said in my earlier post... i use Vergil/Ammy/X-23, id never put my precious X-23 in the first slot...

Well certain characters are better as an anchor than others.

Ammy is a jack of all trades, she can keep away, rush down, and has a small hitbox, so anyone who knows what they're doing can keep Ammy safe. I use her as my anchor because she's the character I have the most confidence in using, she's my go to girl :D

There's a huge difference between a Vergil with meter and one without. Spiral Swords can make what would usually be an unsafe combo into a safe one. A Vergil with level 3 X-factor and 3-5 bars of meter is a force to be reckoned with, but obviously, being an anchor would mean he has nothing to protect his entry (well, except for Round Trip) or nothing to protect against block strings, and if he has no meter, he's screwed. High risk, high reward, that's why I have him on second, because I can build meter with X-23 rather easily and then swap out or DHC into SS or Devil Trigger.

X-23 is insane on anchor, I've wiped out enough teams with her in level 3 X-factor to know this, but for me, she works better on point, Vergil and Ammy give her plenty of cover and combo potential and because most people aren't used to dealing with her, it gives me the slight edge I need. Everyone expects Wolverine, everyone expects Wesker, or Dante, or Vergil.

Nobody expects Laura :D

I mainly play Soul Calibur, but I wasn't able to play SCIV. I'm getting SCV, though. I recently picked up Super Street Fighter IV AE, but I'm still pretty bad at it at the moment.

Daystar Clarion:

There's a huge difference between a Vergil with meter and one without. Spiral Swords can make what would usually be an unsafe combo into a safe one. A Vergil with level 3 X-factor and 3-5 bars of meter is a force to be reckoned with, but obviously, being an anchor would mean he has nothing to protect his entry (well, except for Round Trip) or nothing to protect against block strings, and if he has no meter, he's screwed. High risk, high reward, that's why I have him on second, because I can build meter with X-23 rather easily and then swap out or DHC into SS or Devil Trigger.

this is probably why i dont get so much damage out of him then... as i use him first the most meter he really ever gets is like... 2 bars...
i suppose, in a perfect game, id DHC Devil Trigger into Smoke or Shuffle, and use Ammys boring-as-hell combo to build meter for an easily dead character... and id have a powered up Vergil should she die i suppose... but i dunno, id feel like im wasting X-23's Dirt-nap meter...

Ive had a problem with this since Haggar was rightfully balanced... i tend to just wing it with whatever 2 characters up front, in the knowledge that ill build enough meter to wipe their team with lvl3 X-23... its feels wrong to think like that but, i do find myself saying "Oh no, Vergil's dead again, whatever shall i do..?" sarcastically to myself in almost every game :/

Escapist fighting game group? Eh, why not. I play all kinds of fighting games, don't really have ONE favorite. But my current favs are:

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Captain America, Chun Li, Vergil)

BlazBlue (Tager)

Super Smash Bros Brawl (Mr. Game and Watch)

Mortal Kombat (Smoke)

I've also got:

Super Street Fighter 4

Tatsunoko vs Capcom

...but I don't play them as much. Also, I'm just gonna put this out there, I'm a fairly bad fighting game player... even though I love fighting games. Brawl is the only game on this list where I'm actually pretty decent, but I haven't played it much lately, and I'm out of practice.

garjian:

Daystar Clarion:

this is probably why i dont get so much damage out of him then... as i use him first the most meter he really ever gets is like... 2 bars...
i suppose, in a perfect game, id DHC Devil Trigger into Smoke or Shuffle, and use Ammys boring-as-hell combo to build meter for an easily dead character... and id have a powered up Vergil should she die i suppose... but i dunno, id feel like im wasting X-23's Dirt-nap meter...

Ive had a problem with this since Haggar was rightfully balanced... i tend to just wing it with whatever 2 characters up front, in the knowledge that ill build enough meter to wipe their team with lvl3 X-23... its feels wrong to think like that but, i do find myself saying "Oh no, Vergil's dead again, whatever shall i do..?" sarcastically to myself in almost every game :/

Learn your Vergil BnBs, he really does a shitload of damage with a little meter. He's not Doom, but he does a lot of damage, even without a DHC.

He's a top tier for a reason. Trenchcoat Trio, etc.

SoulCalibur and Killer Instinct are my favorite why aren't they on the list.

Caliostro:

Actually this is a reason why I became disillusioned with fighting games, the tier system, namely how people bitch about which character gives an unfair advantage because of their "tier".

While true that some characters are better than others that whole tier system doesn't matter when playing against friends and randoms off the internet, if your playing for lulz it only matters if its a god tier character (now very rare), other than that the tier system only matters if your name starts with J and ends in ustin Wong, cos your a pro and winning actually means a lucrative sponsorship deal with peripheral maker du jour.

I happily use lower class characters and get to know them, then smash up people with them because I've learnt the nuances of said character, regardless of tier, such as Leon Rafale from Virtua Fighter (my favoured brawler), he isn't as strong as the others but good luck if you think your going to humiliate me when I'm using him, I might get beaten but I will make it really fucking difficult.

Take a look at the youtube video called "Hayato's Revenge"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UtVZ5b2MjU

I've also heard of people of the internet bitching about how Magneto is OP, no he isn't, he's difficult to use!, he's like a high end sports car, if you get cocky with him you die, you die fast.

Tiers are a crutch for noobs to take some blame off of their mugs, nothing to get disillusioned over.

I'm quite happy someone attempted to revive a bit of the fighting game spirit in the community. Anyway, my most played recent fighting game is UMvC3, but I also play BlazBlue CS and SSFIVAE.

UMvC3 team is Nova/Doom/Spencer
BlazBlue main is Tager
SSFIV:AE? Not nearly good enough at the game to actually have a real main since I didn't spend much time on it. I was playing Cody the most when I was playing though.

What fighting game series do I play the most?

...I don't think I do. My time tends to be fairly evenly split between the Smash Brothers series, Arcana Heart, Melty Blood, Blazblue, Soul Calibur, Fate/Unlimited Codes, Tekken, Capcom vs. SNK 2, Virtua Fighter 5, and (last time I had access to a decent arcade) Guilty Gear, Samurai Shodown, Street Fighter 3, and KoF 2002.

Not even counting the ones I still own and only bring back out every so often, like Flying Dragon. Or ones I'm willing to play, but don't go out of my way to, like SvC Chaos. Or ones I want to buy as soon as I can afford to, like Castlevania Judgement or UMvC3. Or ones I desperately want to play, like that fighting game based on Umineko.

Dreiko:

TizzytheTormentor:

Question: does the same apply to the 360? For some absolutely insane reason I cannot fathom, Arcana Heart 3 only got an NA release on the PS3...

DigitalSushi:

Caliostro:

Actually this is a reason why I became disillusioned with fighting games, the tier system, namely how people bitch about which character gives an unfair advantage because of their "tier".

While true that some characters are better than others that whole tier system doesn't matter when playing against friends and randoms off the internet, if your playing for lulz it only matters if its a god tier character (now very rare), other than that the tier system only matters if your name starts with J and ends in ustin Wong, cos your a pro and winning actually means a lucrative sponsorship deal with peripheral maker du jour.

I happily use lower class characters and get to know them, then smash up people with them because I've learnt the nuances of said character, regardless of tier, such as Leon Rafale from Virtua Fighter (my favoured brawler), he isn't as strong as the others but good luck if you think your going to humiliate me when I'm using him, I might get beaten but I will make it really fucking difficult.

Take a look at the youtube video called "Hayato's Revenge"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UtVZ5b2MjU

I've also heard of people of the internet bitching about how Magneto is OP, no he isn't, he's difficult to use!, he's like a high end sports car, if you get cocky with him you die, you die fast.

People gravely misunderstand what "tiers" are.

Tiers aren't hardcoded. They're not "YOU CAN ONLY USE THESE CHARS!". What a tier list is, is essentially a list saying which chars have more "tools". This is completely different from characters being viable or not for serious play.

The fan-dubbed "Trenchcoat Trio" in UMvC3 is a considered top tier because they're all very versatile. They're basically good at everything. But, while most competitive teams tend to use one of those or Doom, they're not a necessity. There are teams that don't use them, and they can do well.

Tiers basically just mean that certain characters are inherently better or worse from a "starting point". Player skill is still the deciding factor.

Good example is Street Fighter III: Third Strike. Third strike had one of the most aggressive tier systems in a competitive game. Most serious players picked Chun-li, Yun or Ken. Makoto or Dudley if they were feeling particularly lucky. Very few players touched the rest of the cast.

#1 3s player in the world? Kuroda. He plays Q. One of the lowest tiers. His usual team mate? Hayao. One of the scariest players you can face. Plays Hugo. The second lowest tier (after Sean).

Of course, Kuroda is a legend in 3s. Even when compared to players like Daigo he's widely considered to be in a whole different level. Objectively Q is a much weaker character than Chun-Li or Yun, whom were both ridiculous. This isn't a question. They have better pokes. Better tools. Better supers. The one thing Q has is high health and high damage (which isn't that much higher than both of those characters, mind you). But Kuroda made it work.

On the other hand, you had chars like 12 that were simply not tournament viable... There were like, 2 great Japanese players that tried/try to main him, but he's simply not good enough. He has low health, low attack, low pretty much everything. He's very playable at "lower levels" of play, but at the higher echelons he's just... lacking. Q can get the highest health in the game (by far) after 3 taunts and has high damage. Hugo can end a game in 2 or 3 touches and also has high health. 12 has nothing except for mixups... It's just not good enough.

Most games these days tend to be far more balanced than that, though. In SSFIV:AE there was basically one character widely considered non-viable: Hakan. And even that has changed now that he was buffed in the free 2012 patch.

In BlazBlue, Tager is generally the only char most good players avoid.

In KoF XIII, I haven't heard of any such character.

In Marvel, with the "real time" 3 vs 3 sort of play, it's even less relevant. Most characters can have high damage combos, or DHC into them. Or have setups. Or have something that makes them potentially worth it. There's a few characters I'd personally avoid (Jill, MODOK, Phoenix Wright, Hsien Ko), but I've seen people that made them work (more or less successfully, down to the skill of the player).

Tier lists and match up chars are just "eyeballed" guidelines. You can't argue that Wesker is one of the best, if not the best, characters in the game. He does almost EVERYTHING. You can't argue Vergil is good. He IS. The problem is when people start taking these as "set in stone", and "anything that isn't top tier is bad!".

Hell, Seth in SSFIV:AE was generally considered "meh", till one day guys like Online Tony and Poongko came out of nowhere and started blowing people up. They showed that Seth is insanely strong, you just gotta play him differently. Now some people consider him OP!

But anyways, this is big enough as is.

Hi all.
I'm an offline arcade player in miami. My live broke and my ps3 yloded taking a disk with it.

If you want to meet up, I play the following:

AE Boxer, Sagat, Chun Li

AC Venom, Potemkin, Ky

MBAA and Kofxiii: anyone (I'm a scrub lol)

NeutralDrow:

Dreiko:

TizzytheTormentor:

Question: does the same apply to the 360? For some absolutely insane reason I cannot fathom, Arcana Heart 3 only got an NA release on the PS3...

360 is almost always not region free, Here's a guide: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-00-3-xbox360_compatibility_guide-49-en.html

Dead or Alive.

I'm super happy that there is a 5th one coming out. I honestly find it to be the best fighting game out there, for more than just the eyecandy. Though that helps too.

Other than that I'll play Super Street Fighter IV AE sometimes, and if I had the money right now I'd get UMvC3.

DoA - Helena
SF - Juri and Ibuki
MvC3 - X-23, Iron Man, Wesker OR Trish, Morrigan, Zero

Id really like to get better at Tekken, its just no one else really wants to play it, and the online is incredibly shitty.

Any tips for a Tekken noob? (My main 3 characters are Heihachi, Kazuya and Raven)

Virtua Fighter series all the way baby! I'm not Japanese but I seriously dig the complexity of those games. When you get your arse handed to you you feel like you've learnt something other than being beaten by canned combos or attack spamming.

NeutralDrow:

Dreiko:

TizzytheTormentor:

It's locked, sorry. That reason btw is that 360 people have a general aversion towards "anime-like stuff" so the game wouldn't sell well.

Tager is actually mid-high tier in Extend, so that's kinda changing. Now Makoto is really bad.

Dreiko:

NeutralDrow:

Dreiko:

It's locked, sorry. That reason btw is that 360 people have a general aversion towards "anime-like stuff" so the game wouldn't sell well.

I have trouble believing that's the real reason, considering we also got Tales of Vesperia, Blazblue, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Catherine, and Deathsmiles, among other things, as official releases.

Sigh...doesn't change the fact that it's out of my reach. >_>

Only 13 for Blazblue? D:

I have been playing Tekken since I got my first playstation.

But yeah, I guess I could chill to some Tekken 6

I wonder. "Other" has the most votes. What are people playing that "Other" overshadows the big ones? Touhou? (not)

BlazBlue Lambda main here. Always go all out when you play. Don't hold back. I take the game somewhat seriously, but will never be reduced to raging. Think myself as decent, but make too many input mistakes when they count (can't always back-dash properly, messing up instant blocks and getting hit, messing up Calamity Sword)

Also, I blame any disconnects on my mom. Half of my (16) disconnects were going back to dashboard after being stuck on the character select menu. The other half are because my mom uses the blow dryer for far too long, which ends up cutting the power to the house at night. I got at least one rage mail because the power died at a very inopportune moment (I won 5 fights in a row, started losing the 6th, power dies)

The only one I've ever been good at was SSBB. And hey, who doesn't like leopard print Snake?

Dreiko:

NeutralDrow:

Dreiko:

Tager is actually mid-high tier in Extend, so that's kinda changing. Now Makoto is really bad.

I thought that 360 doesn't get Arcana Heart because of some size limit on XBLA games? We have a lot of anime-style games too. I'm on Vesperia, Deathsmiles, BlazBlue, and Agarest War right now.

Makoto is bad now? Like really bad? She's not the next Rachel, is she? The balance guys have to learn a little in the way of moderation. I'm not sure how much I like talking about tiers when the game has barely been out yet. How long has Japan had the game to pick it apart?

Edit: Oh, my little snippet on tiers. I say take them with a grain of salt. They are not the end-all-be-all of fighting game characters (except BlazBlue CS1 Rachel). Use them more like a rough guideline. And actually find the pros/cons on paper rather than than just their placement on a list. The pros/cons are the reason they are where they are. If you can think of a clever way to use a character that negates their cons (perceived or otherwise) or if you are just so comfortable with that character that you think you transcend the list, then by all means you may be right.
Ease-of-use doesn't factor into their placement as far as I know. Some of the pros/cons may only apply to players who know everything that is known about the character. If the character takes a university course to learn, but is a total beast when mastered, then they should count as top tier.
Finally: I don't follow tier lists much. I might glance at it every now and then but that's it. I don't pick my characters based on tiers either. I mained Ragna in CS1 because I was a simpleton. I dabbled in Bang, Hakumen, and Lambda. Eventually, I switched to Lambda as my main for whatever reason and haven't looked back. I have zero clue about what her placement on the list is/was. I imagine the spot being solid, but I don't care one way or the other. I find the guys on Youtube following and quoting the list like their lives depend on it to be rather stupid. I doubt half of them actually know the true pros/cons of the characters they're discussing.

Caliostro:

garjian:

Daystar Clarion:

Learn your Vergil BnBs, he really does a shitload of damage with a little meter. He's not Doom, but he does a lot of damage, even without a DHC.

Naah, far too easy to drop... my simple combo does 650,000-800,000 with 1 and 2 meters... don't need awkward rising sun or overuse of rapid slash... it's only cold star that reduces my damage, and also reduces my hitstun, making those impossible...

Paragon Fury:
Dead or Alive.

I'm super happy that there is a 5th one coming out. I honestly find it to be the best fighting game out there, for more than just the eyecandy. Though that helps too.

Awesomeness. Another DOA fan. :) And another Helena player at that. I tend to bounce between Helena and Hitomi myself but do tend to enjoy actually playing Helena more. Part of the reason why I can't wait for the probably awesome anyway Ninja Gaiden 3 is just because of the included DOA5 demo. Hehe

Heck, I'm one of the few people who will actually admit to liking the DOAX games (though I could make a page long list of things I would do differently or add to the next game in the series).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked