Workshop broke Skyrim :(

Well, I don't know for certain. But, it was working fine with all my mods installed, then I went onto the Workshop. I found a few mods that I already use on there, but decided to subscribe through the workshop instead of using NMM (Nexus Mod Manager), mainly because the integration and updating process is easier.

So, I only added maybe 5 mods, and I disabled most of my NMM mods. I like the new HQ textures Beth provided so I only have Flora overhaul enabled for texture mods.

Anyway, point being, I tried to start a new game just because I've been away so long it feels kind of weird trying to get back into my other 2 characters. The problem is that NPCs cannot talk anymore! So that intro sequence, the cart just rolls along all the way into the town, without anybody speaking a word. Then I'm stuck at the place you're supposed to unload.

I then loaded an old save on my mage, and nobody would talk to me! I suppose I should be thankful Lydia shut her mouth, but otherwise it's pretty dumb.

I attempted to disable my mods but I think NMM doesn't properly delete them from the Data folder, so basically I just deleted my whole Data folder (I have backups of all my mods) and now I need to download 8.7GB to replace it (from Steam).

Definitely not happy about this, and I have no idea what would have broken the audio. My searches indicate that this happens to other people as well, and it's been an issue since day 1 it would seem. However, no indication of a fix.

I'm open to suggestions, if a fresh Data folder doesn't help... maybe my Audio settings in Windows are causing an issue? I remember they used to have a problem with high bit rates...

Oh, and I'd also like to take this opportunity to bitch about how Workshop causes a nice long ass delay when trying to start the game as it checks whether each mod is updated one at a time. Takes about 2-3 seconds each mod... this is unacceptable. If one day all my mods are on Workshop, that will be a solid 3-5 minutes of waiting as it checks for updates!

And that is why I dont use the Workshop. It is a nightmare from a compatibility standpoint. You lose a lot of control. If you use more than 5 mods, something is going to go wrong.

No kidding. Might just go back to good old NMM for everything. At least until I hear about Workshop working fine.

I also find it extremely tedious to find new mods. There's no search function! Only option is to pick a vague category and scroll through pages and pages of stuff, much of which appears on multiple sections. So stupid.

I'm sure Valve will find a way to make sure it is as competent as possible.

OMG, I wonder how many of the mods they have yet. Do they have the My Little Pony mount mods yet? What about the anime character races? Oh, I do hope they surface. I'll use the Steam Workshop right away to make myself Miku Hatsune riding a Rainbow Dash if they ever put the game for $20 or less.

I'm not using it right now. I am perfectly fine with mods on Nexus. I used it for years and I plan to continue using it. At least until they get their shit together. But since now I have the Creation Kit, I can make my own mods. I already made myself a nice house by the lake. And no, I won't be releasing it. At least not until I'm 100% certain that it's my final version of the house.

LilithSlave:

OMG, I wonder how many of the mods they have yet. Do they have the My Little Pony mount mods yet? What about the anime character races? Oh, I do hope they surface. I'll use the Steam Workshop right away to make myself Miku Hatsune riding a Rainbow Dash if they ever put the game for $20 or less.

Well, there is an MLP mount mod, I think it's a blue horse with colourful hair. There's also crazy hair style mods, but I don't think the anime character stuff has really been made yet. Not like it is for FO3 anyway.

Adam Jensen:
I'm not using it right now. I am perfectly fine with mods on Nexus. I used it for years and I plan to continue using it. At least until they get their shit together. But since now I have the Creation Kit, I can make my own mods. I already made myself a nice house by the lake. And no, I won't be releasing it. At least not until I'm 100% certain that it's my final version of the house.

That is awesome! I opened up the CK and didn't know where to start. I was looking for a "File>New" or something but nope! I'll have to look into it I guess. I'd definitely like to build myself a decent house. Or mod the hell out of Proudspire.

LilithSlave:

Unfortunately, the Steam Workshop doesn't allow copyrighted content. So if you feel like riding Pinkie Pie around Gensokyo with a lightsaber you'll have to use "ordinary" mods.

Applying lots of mods to a game as unstable as Skyrim is... not a good idea. Just a suggestion.

Oh, whats this? A Valve project that has some out-of-the-gate issues?

Give them a month to hammer out the uncommon issues, then another month to hammer out the issues raised by that fix.

Simply put, youre basically a beta-tester for a free service, have fun. Or at least try to.

But seriously at least youre not dealing with the original version of Steam, that today makes Origin look fucking awesome by comparison.

That is a good reason not to subscribe to the workshop.

Incidentally, does anyone know of a mod that will disable the conversation time out? It irritates the hell out of me.

I dunno. Installed 38 mods with the workshop, never installed mods before (cuz i am lazy) and it's working like a champ with all the setting maxed.

Edit: I just wish deadly dragons was already there -.-
Also, running the HD patch atm.

just switch back to the NMM I myself load them using the mod loader.

LilithSlave:

There's a Lightning from FFXIII player model out. I think it comes with her gunblade too (though it doesn't work like an actual gunblade) but her outfit isn't available.

LilithSlave:

Well I need to go change my pants. I kinda Nerdgasmed everywhere.

Too bad I got the 360 version of Skyrim. :(

Yeah, I haven't subscribed to much for pretty much this reason. Yeah, doing it all yourself takes longer, but at least it's easier to pin-point a problem that way.

canadamus_prime:

Incidentally, does anyone know of a mod that will disable the conversation time out? It irritates the hell out of me.

Something like this?

seems to work for me. maybe disabling mods in the NMM screwed it up. I had the UI and some texture and extra item mods before the development kit came out, and installed several mods with it with no problem.
It seems like you still need to start the game with the skse loader for some of the mods to work.

Edit: first time i started the gmae with mods from the development kit it took a while to respond, later startups took less time.

leet_x1337:

LilithSlave:

Unfortunately, the Steam Workshop doesn't allow copyrighted content. So if you feel like riding Pinkie Pie around Gensokyo with a lightsaber you'll have to use "ordinary" mods.

There's a mod for LoTR swords up on Steam Workshop already.

I'm using 32 Workshop mods alongside all my Nexus Mod manager Mods.

Launch skyrim through steam to bring up the skyrim launcher. Let all the mods download and synch. then open NMM, and Launch Skyrim through SKSE. No probs whatsoever. When in doubt run a program called BOSS GUI which will order your mods and find conflicts.

Irridium:

canadamus_prime:

Something like this?

No, I hadn't even noticed that. I was talking about how if you take to long to respond during a conversation, the conversation just quits with the NPC giving some random line of assumption. Is there any mod that gets rid of that. I've lost a few critical dialogue options because of that.

canadamus_prime:

Irridium:

canadamus_prime:

Something like this?

No, I hadn't even noticed that. I was talking about how if you take to long to respond during a conversation, the conversation just quits with the NPC giving some random line of assumption. Is there any mod that gets rid of that. I've lost a few critical dialogue options because of that.

Oh. Well, I can't seem to find anything for that problem I'm afraid. Wish I could be of more help :/

Irridium:

canadamus_prime:

Irridium:

Something like this?

Oh. Well, I can't seem to find anything for that problem I'm afraid. Wish I could be of more help :/

No, neither can I and I would've thought it'd of been among the first things to get modded.

Finally did it! 86 mods with a healthy combination of nexus and steam and skyrim crashes...

Now to do the painful bug finding -.-

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked