Poll: Which Commander Shepard has the better voice acting?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Jennifer Hale is overall superior by far, but Mark Meer comes close in the renegade options.

I honestly, truly do not understand the people who claim that Hale's voice acting is better. Femshep's voice comes across as tired and disinterested, which for a badass space marine is highly off-putting.

I'm not saying Meer is great or anything, he just did a better job.

Femshep. I have to admit, I really do find Meer's voice annoyingly flat, it's just not something I can listen to for an entire game. I actually had similar issues with Kaiden, Liara and Jacob, they all just had something... off and unpleasant. Liara was interesting enough otherwise to not suffer too much for it, but it was the final nail for the other two and I almost never used them.

And while Hale does have some narmy/poor moments, overall, I absolutely adore how she portrays Shepard, and nine times out of ten I get just the right emotion I'm hoping to hear from a line.

I prefer real Shepards voice.
Male Shepard sounds like he knows how to handle himself. He knows he could ruin your entire day if he had to so does not need to try threatening people.
Female Shepard sounds like a Legacy of Kain reject. Every line with her is done in high drama. And she sounds like a little girl trying to sound tough to bluff her way out of a fight. And really, people just don't talk the way she does. It would be cool in a fantasy game but in Mass Effect its just so forced and out of place.

I hated the FemShep's voice. I restarted as a male halfway through Eden Prime I hated her voice so much.

Monkeyman O'Brien:
Every line with her is done in high drama. And she sounds like a little girl trying to sound tough to bluff her way out of a fight. And really, people just don't talk the way she does.

I was literally just about to type that. Hale comes off as a little girl who has been told to deepen her voice and for me it comes out really awkward.

Mark Meer does a variety of voices for the series, and really can voice act, but he makes male Shepard sound like a robot. I voted for Jennifer Hale, because she is just more talented, all around. She gives Shepard a personality, and has done many different roles quite well.

Ive really only played as Male Shep. Until i beat the game AS fem-shep, i dont feel i truly have the right to comment on, "Which is better" x:

But from what ive heard, i do feel more attune with male shep. He feels more canon, and the scripting ((from what ive heard on both genders)) seems to fit him better.

Mark Meer.

I found Female Shepard to be constantly boring. Every line is spoken in the same tone, no matter what is said.

This one is always a difficult one for me.

In ME1, Meer was good, but sounded off to me sometimes, like he lacked conviction. Hale certainly didn't lack for conviction and her more comedic lines were better than Meer's, so I give her the better overall. However, renegade line were a point in Meer's favor.

In ME2, both improved a bit, but Meer is still the better sounding renegade character. Hale still has better overall, but sometimes she did come off as a bit too harsh.

....I think I give it to Hale overall for both games, as she is a bit more interesting to listen to, but I love both her and Meer's work on the series.

I've only played as MaleShep and watched videos of FemShep.

In basic straight up voice acting Hale is better overall, but I prefer Meer. Despite his depiction of the character in the pseudo-deadpan part of me feels that was the point. When designers make the choice to have a silent character its usually to give the players a voice in their heads. I'd like to think that the deadpan is voice acting variant of that, by delivering his words in a specific way, perhaps its a voice acting way of allowing us to give the words our own meaning. I mean would anyone really have read the entire Bioware/Mass Effect text on screen given how much is there in dialogue.

Mark Meer has a goofy fucking voice.
Even if Jennifer Hale wasn't an amazing voice actress Femshep would still win.

Male Shepard should be voiced by somebody cool like Liam Neeson or Daniel Day-Lewis.

Damn, now I want to see a Mass Effect movie staring Liam Neeson.

Fredvdp:
Jennifer Hale is the best paragon, Mark Meer is the best renegade. His deadpan delivery makes some of the renegade comments infinitely more badass.

This is basically my thoughts, although I think that Hale is still able to pull off renegade dialogue.

I'm not really sure about neutral, seeing as I almost never use that.

I prefer Mark Meer, but only slightly, and that's because I also prefer to play mostly paragon, and Mark Meer lands those lines better than Jennifer Hale, in my opinion.
However, Jennifer Hale lands renegade lines better, and delivers solidly at just about every other line as well.
So it's a tie.

Yassen:
I hear people saying that Mark Meer comes off as monotone while Jennifer Hale gives emotion and all that jazz, which confuses me since I always think FemShep comes off as sounding monotone. Most of the time it sounds like she's just bored. She even sounds bored in most of her "big, epic speeches" which I always thought MaleShep was able to deliver quite well.

Let's face it folks, each of them have their good and bad moments. It's a massive game series with thousands of lines of dialogue, neither actor is going to get every line spot on.

Get this guy a dressing gown, an armchair, a fireplace, some whisky and a pipe. He speaks words worth listening to.

Overall I prefer Hale as she shows more emotion, but fails to impact with some line that Meer can do. But Meer seems overall lacking in emotion. They have their good lines, and their bad lines - they do have to record THOUSANDS.

Jennifer Hale all the way, she at least tries to have some semblance of emotion. ManShep is very boring and monotonous, and sometimes awkward because of that. (We have a connection, Samara; uh I think I actually cringed when he said that)

I dunno, FemShep sounds better during the Renegade options but not so good with Paragon options, since her voice always makes me think of a slightly pissed off babysitter trying to calm the kids down, regardless of Paragon/Renegade choices. So naturally I play Renegade with her.

MShep is just more of an all rounder, not many spectacular lines (some are pure gold though) but no "GAH MY EARS!" moments (Jacob/Femshep romance anyone?)

in my opinion Jennifer Hale does better voice acting.

Zhukov:
Personally, I'm pretty firmly in the Jennifer Hale camp. She puts more nuance, emotion and variation in her voice. That said, I can see why a lot of people don't like her somewhat hissy take on the renegade lines.

Mark Meer is a bit of a mixed bag. Some of his lines are great ("big stupid jellyfish") but all too often he comes across as flat and monotone, like someone reading from a page.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. While I definately prefer Hale overall, I think that Meer's delivery does suit the renegade dialogue choices though, he does anger well enough when it comes to emoting and his otherwise flat demeanour gives a pretty cold, dark comic edge to a lot of the lines that really makes you think of the kind of unforgiving sociopath who will waste a guy with one-liner.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Kahunaburger:

RedEyesBlackGamer:
I prefer Meer's Shepard. My only complaint is how creepy and manipulative he comes off as during some of the romance dialogue.

To be fair, I think that's the romances, not Mark Meer.

Yeah, it could just be the dialogue itself.

"But the priiiize..."

Both are fine with me personally.

To be honest, Hale for me. Femshep just overall has that quality to it, she actually sounds like a Person. With Meer i always have this image of him just reading his Lines. But to be fair, Meer has improved, i mean compare Maleshep between ME1 and ME2, its a big Improvement. But still as said, to me Hale managed to make Femshep more a Character than just giving the Voice.

So in the end, they are both good, both got Ups and downs, Hale makes some paragon Dialogue sound a little flat as well, but i play Renegade anyway, though i do pick some Paragon Choices now and then, so they both work. Some of Hale's Renegade Dialogue is pretty epic, just as Meer's. Like the Renegade Option when Tali and Legion are bickering in ME2..thats just badass ;P

I prefer Meer's emotionless deadpan because he is a special forces commander the voice to me should be very flat and restrained.

Kahunaburger:

RedEyesBlackGamer:
I prefer Meer's Shepard. My only complaint is how creepy and manipulative he comes off as during some of the romance dialogue.

Yeah the romances just seem like they were hastily bolted on as a fan service, thy don't add anything, but they dont really subtract much either.

OT: I always found Meer to be more heroic, regardless of which way you play him, whereas Hale just seems a bit snide and bitchy no matter which way you play her.

Stainlesssteele4:
I just hate the male Shepard. Its not his quality of voice acting, which is Bioware level great, its just him. He's just such an asshole, even if you pick the "good" lines. It just bugs me.

You realise the dialogue is exactly the same no matter who you play right?

I thought both were pretty much on par in ME1, but in ME2... I dunno, there were quite a few spots (wish I could remember specifics) during the ManShep playthroughs where I just thought the voice acting sounded like it was phoned in or being rushed out as the last line before knock off time or something. Jennifer Hale, on the other hand, I thought was consistently good throughout so I'm giving it to her.

El Dwarfio:

Kahunaburger:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Yeah the romances just seem like they were hastily bolted on as a fan service, thy don't add anything, but they dont really subtract much either.

OT: I always found Meer to be more heroic, regardless of which way you play him, whereas Hale just seems a bit snide and bitchy no matter which way you play her.

Stainlesssteele4:
I just hate the male Shepard. Its not his quality of voice acting, which is Bioware level great, its just him. He's just such an asshole, even if you pick the "good" lines. It just bugs me.

You realise the dialogue is exactly the same no matter who you play right?

Its in the delivery of his lines. He's very pretentious in the way he says things. I wasn't saying Hale's lines were written differently, just delivered differently. I'd still prefer to play as a male protagonist, but Shepard's voice actor is just such an asshole.

Personally, I think FemShep has the better voice acting. I'm afraid I find Mark Meer's performance more than a little flat. Every time I've gone over the Mass Effect games, I prefer to play FemShep for that reason.

i'm very firmly in the FemShep/ Jennifer Hale camp, she brings the character to life (like she does with all the other VG roles she's been in), Mark Meer sounds like he doesn't want to be there.

I do believe the female shop is better, but I am role-playing and I role-play as myself, so I play a male shep(with the exact face since we look similar enough.) The mail shep voice is laos very well done, but lack's emotion at time's.

i prefer BroShep...

he just sounds more like a trooper than FemShep

but this is just personal opinion

Hale is better but Meer is good too.

Like them both actually, two excellent voice actors in my opinion, but that Femshep trailer that just came out was sick and couldn't have been done by anyone other then Hale.

Once you go femshep you never go back.

Hale or the Highway for me.

I think that both are good, although I favor Meer over Hale. Meer definitely does a better job with the Renegade, while Hale does better with most of the Paragon. However, I personally find that Meer sounds more inspiring during the big speeches, both Renegade and Paragon, than Hale. Both are good though, the voice acting is definitely a lot better than for most games (the only game I've played relatively recently that I can definitively claim had better voice-work was Portal 2).

I like them both. And I think both actors have their strong suits. Hale does better with the paragon dialogue while Meer does better with the renegade dialogue.

Male Shep also gives the better deadpan snark, and I think we can all agree that this line would not sound the same without the deadpan delivery.

I've also heard it said, that the two Shepards have different emotional inflections when speaking. Femshep is more emotional and displays more passion when she speaks while Broshep acts more reserved and stoic regardless of what stance he's taking.

Both work in my opinion.

Male Shep is abysmal. I can't imagine playing as anything other than FemShep.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked