So, now that the Mass Effect 3 Demo is out...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I can laugh at the people breaking their promise to never play a game by EA. I can laugh at the people who think Bioware went to shit. I can laugh at the people who aren't enjoying this fucking awesome experience that is Mass Effect 3.

HAAAAHAAAAHAAAA!

Seriously tho.... I think it's great. I'm going to preorder in the next few days.

And this is how it goes.

First month: "Oh, yeah, we were totally wrong, Mass Effect 3 is a work of art and pure genius."

Second month: "Meeeeh, so, freakin' Mass Effect 3. Bugs and shit. Anybody else really still like it all that much?"

Third month and beyond: "Mass Effect 3 was a pile of shit! Bioware ruined the franchise since the first game! EVERYTHING WAS BAD BAWLADAGRAHABLA! A curse upon Bioware's studio and staff! A CURSE I SAY! "

Oh, gaming community, how so very fickle you are.

I actually cried during the cutscene with the kid. This game can't come out fast enough for me.

I was... underwhelmed by the experience, i mean the dialogue options were lazy. THe opening was meh. The only semi funny part was the interaction between Wrex and Garrus. Other than that, 'meh'. The new things they added to the combat are cool though. like turrets and grenades.

GOD HELP ME if they dont fix the whole action button/running/interacting as ONE FREAKING button.

Smeggs:
And this is how it goes.

First month: "Oh, yeah, we were totally wrong, Mass Effect 3 is a work of art and pure genius."

Second month: "Meeeeh, so, freakin' Mass Effect 3. Bugs and shit. Anybody else really still like it all that much?"

Third month and beyond: "Mass Effect 3 was a pile of shit! Bioware ruined the franchise since the first game! EVERYTHING WAS BAD BAWLADAGRAHABLA! A curse upon Bioware's studio and staff! A CURSE I SAY! "

Oh, gaming community, how so very fickle you are.

Well third month I'd say is the best time to take the gaming community 'seriously'. First two month is just hype and nostalgia. Hell, I use to think DA2 was a good game, then bam 2 weeks went by and I'm like wait, a minute...

Sober Thal:

I can laugh at the people breaking their promise to never play a game by EA. I can laugh at the people who think Bioware went to shit. I can laugh at the people who aren't enjoying this fucking awesome experience that is Mass Effect 3.

HAAAAHAAAAHAAAA!

Seriously tho.... I think it's great. I'm going to preorder in the next few days.

You haven't even played the freaking demo and you are cheering on this game? Stop being such a fanboy. I've played the Demo, it was pretty standard. Don't get your hopes up.

And hurry with that pre-order. they are running out.

I got into the demo fresh out if Kingdoms of Amalur, so saying it took me a minute to get my feet under me is a big understatement. Loved this from the start screen, press start and get a lower key version of the original ME tone, just gave me a good feeling. Loved seeing Wrex, Garris and Kirrahe(that's Major) again. Took a bit to get a handle on going into cover but I like the way it handled, loved how hectic it all felt and that final showdown with the mech's arena felt custom made for using the charge/shotgun combo that got me through part 2 so easily. Didn't like the lengthy recharge on my class specific power though. In part two there might as well have not been a recharge, it was so short. Oh well, maybe that's a good thing. Make me use things like pull field and shockwave more often. Overall, I'm pretty stoked after this, then again, I've had this bastard preordered for a looong time

I enjoyed the demo and if after a few more times through I'm still liking it I'm going to need to take a trip down to a local Gamestop and preorder the collector's edition.

Loop Stricken:
The download took a while, I suppose the Xbox servers aren't as fast as Steam's.
But the wait was well worth it just to see Anderson's bizarre sprinting animation!

Cover system felt a bit iffy - Tried ducking behind a wall, ended up rolling past it, got an arrow to the face.

Hahaha, I thought he ran strangely as well.

Also, anyone try the character creation? Some of the hair looks fucking weird.

I tried the demo, and now I never want to see this crap game again.

Bioware, consider us done for good.

I managed to make a good looking character in a bioware game. I am proud. I like the single player campaign and I am waiting for my friends to download it so I can get on multiplayer. Please tell me you can make a Drell in the demo.

Fappy:

Loop Stricken:
The download took a while, I suppose the Xbox servers aren't as fast as Steam's.
But the wait was well worth it just to see Anderson's bizarre sprinting animation!

Cover system felt a bit iffy - Tried ducking behind a wall, ended up rolling past it, got an arrow to the face.

Hahaha, I thought he ran strangely as well.

Also, anyone try the character creation? Some of the hair looks fucking weird.

Bioware always make shitty looking hair. ALWAYS.

I enjoyed the demo but was anyone else put off by the selection of play style at the beginning? I can't think of any ME fan who would want to play ME3 with all focus on action/none on story or vice versa. I guess that's Bioware's way of trying to get new players involved in the franchise.

All in all, the demo was just Bioware's way of letting us actually play the levels they've been showing us in videos for the past half year.

I'm just glad Ashley's back so my Sheppard can continue his romance while I whoop some Reaper ass

Mass Effect 3 demo pretty much convinced me not to buy the game.

To make it easier for me to talk about, I'll talk about this in TV show terms.

Mass Effect 1 would be Season 1. It's a little rough around the edges, as most first seasons are, but it is engrossing and the world it takes place in is rich and legitimately invites you in. It's a world you really want to be a part of just by how detailed it is.

Mass Effect 2 would be the second season. While it smoothed out a lot of the flaws, It was picked up by another network and it shows. It is clearly more streamlined in that it is far less complex and a little more action heavy for marketability. While this isn't favorable, it is still an improvement just from better writing and better acting. It's darker and more character driven with a very satisfying conclusion leading into the next season.

It would have done better without the streamlining for mainstream audiences, but it is still superb and the world is still as interesting as ever.

Then word of the third season started going around. A lot of fans were worried of confirmation bias in the corporate seats. Since the second season had better ratings, they may think it was due to it being more streamlined and explosionier. You know, as opposed to the better writing and acting. So when the previews came out, it confirmed that what they did is that they cut into the character development and atmosphere, get as many big name actors as possible to put into trailers, make it more explosion oriented and be more akin to another popular show that was on the air during its production. They focused too much on being bigger and better than ever before.

All I know is that I wish I had pre-ordered the collector's edition when I had the chance :/

It was fantastic.

Multiplayer seems like it'll be awesome too once more people are playing it and you can get an actual party of four going (it's brutally difficult if you're short.)

The demo was alright. The intro mission felt just as shitty as it did in 2 though. At least in 1 the first mission has substance. Why couldn't they have made it that way in all three?

Faces just felt wrong. It was like they used the same art style as the faces in DA2, but tried to make them look more real and it didn't come out right.

I didn't like that there was little if any feedback when selecting powers. A small blip on the screen was it. No color change in the pause menu like in the first 2. Small annoyance, but still.

Loved the banter at the beginning of the second mission.

The "skill tree" is a bit generic. All of the same type of powers seem to follow the same formula. Same for ammo powers. At least it's more than they gave us with 2

They really should have let us choose our own loadout. Was annoying playing as an Infiltrator without my trusty sniper rifle. Plus, I must have been seriously overburdened or something because it was taking almost 20 seconds for my powers to regen. Would have been nice if I could have at least stored the pistol and shotgun. Peppering the area with weapon mods and armor was just mean.

The part where the kid gets blown up just makes me face palm. If the shuttle would have flown toward the reaper they could have escaped because the cannon is mounted in the front. Along with that whole thing about the reapers getting there instantly without the alpha relay, the fact that Thanix cannons aren't stnadard issue for ships, and all of the fucking voice swaps!

All of that aside: the multiplayer far exceeded expectation, the voice acting is still top-notch, and the combat feel less like shooting galleries. Which is enough to warrant a preorder.

Oh, also, melee is overpowered. Especially for Sentinels(throw up shield, run at enemies and start meleeing. Take little damage, and everyone dies) and Vanguards(VANGUARD PAUNCH!!!!!). I'd imagine Adepts with the use of stasis(and probably a light loadout for short cooldowns) could also rock melee, but haven't played one yet.

Really liked the demo, raises some interesting questions. Animations are a bit on and off, but thats always the way with these games when you see someone 30 years (or however much it is) your senior running around with the same animations.

My major concern appears to be that James Vega is the missing link between humans and apes and no ones dissected him yet. I mean, come on, people. Cut that dipshit up!

Goofguy:
I enjoyed the demo but was anyone else put off by the selection of play style at the beginning? I can't think of any ME fan who would want to play ME3 with all focus on action/none on story or vice versa. I guess that's Bioware's way of trying to get new players involved in the franchise.

I might try to get my dad to play it on Story mode, cos he loves SciFi, but Jesus H. Monkeyballs he sucks ass at any kind of action game.

All I can say is two things:

One, I need to get a new computer fast, as it lags like hell on my poor laptop.

Two: I AM EVEN MORE EXCITED FOR IT THAN I WAS BEFORE ;w;

... wait, three things (SPOILER ALERT?):

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the little boy QAQ

On the pro side:
- MUSIC
- Combat
- Levelling

On the con side:
- Lip-Syncing is off
- Shepard's running looks hilarious
- Making a mistake in combat tends to get you killed
(i.e. accidentally hitting Y and charging, accidentally vaulting over cover)

Reserving Judgement:
- Graphics
- Dialogue
- Story

endtherapture:
I really enjoyed the demo. More tactical than ME2, more intense than ME1, it was perhaps the perfect fusion between the two games. I was really pleasantly surprised.

It also left a really deep emotional impact on me I dunno I wanted to cry at one point in the game.

Oh, you weren't the only one. I'll admit, I had to fight back a few tears both times I saw that, when I played the demo as female and male Shepard respectively. Made me feel pissed too, so it was a rather emotionally charged scene that Bioware executed beautifully. Though, I didn't feel TOO emotional.

After all, I am rather desensitized thanks to cumulative hours upon hours of violent videogaming.

Still, very profound, especially when you first meet the poor kid as Shepard, and he tells you, "You can't help me.". Even if I didn't know what was going to happen, I would have felt that that foreshadowed the boys fate.

But, more on topic, loved the demo. Had fun, kicked ass, not sure what to make of Vega yet, wished there was Tali, and god did I love what they did with the shotguns so far. All in all, can't wait for March 6!

(EDIT): Finally got my hands on the multiplayer part of the demo: It is awesome. Much better than I expected, though most of the time I played was with one friend, mainly on the same map. Objective-based rounds seem to be on waves that are a multiple of three: Rounds three and six were definitely the ones the kicked our asses too.

The main objectives, at least for Firebase White, I think the map was, were either killing 'high profile targets', which were usually the more powerful Guardians, Centurians or Nemeses, starting up four communication jammers if I remember correctly, or hacking a specific point by activating it and staying in a small area so that it does in fact hack.

As for classes, it definitely pays to play to your strengths, and DO NOT play too aggressively. I was playing as a Soldier up to level six, and my health still got cut down quick. So keeping an eye on your health and shield bars is a must. Overall, its not the kind of multiplayer where you can hold up in one place for too long: You usually end up having to either move to take care of the objectives, which are mandatory and end the game if you can't achieve them within the time limit, or because a clever enemy comes up behind you or flanks you.

Caution and Constant Vigilance are definitely key bywords for this particular part of Mass Effect 3.

If anyone finds any inconsistencies in the above paragraphs, send me a message and let me know, otherwise, just know that the addition of multiplayer feels solid, and definitely not out-of-place. Quite frankly, it works well. At least, to me.

I played this demo at the EB expo last year guys, and the textures looked really really good.
it could be they opimized graphics for that event and then reduced it for full console demo launch?

I thought overall the demo boded well for the full product, save for the aesthetic which seemed a little too vibrant given the context of the world and it's encompassing narrative. But hey that's just my opinion.

Also I nearly wet my pants when Garrus showed up.

Sober Thal:

You haven;t already? I preordered back in november...You are unworthy heathen!!!1!
[i'm joking by the way, I'm really looking forward to this and I'm glad you are too.]

Pros:
-Melee was fun as an infiltrator.
-Combat overall seemed much smoother, powers yay.
-It all looked great (corridors, background, effects), and ran smoothly on my PC, I read some of you had troubles on your consoles.
-Sounds! Hearing the thermal clips hit the floor, and the old ME1 sound of a gun overheating.
-Seeing the old crew, and their brief interaction on the shuttle. Wrex seemed a bit hot headed, but maybe he was bored from sitting on his butt on Tuchanka for so long.
-Leveling system is neat, improved over the second game.

Cons:
-Dialogue was limited. Although I read from a couple posters on the Bioware forums that it had been gutted to prevent spoilers.
-The introduction's drama seemed forced, I really didn't care for the anonymous child. Maybe it was because I saw him die in the trailers months ago that spoiled the moment.
-Some of the animations seemed stiff, and weird. Like when Anderson first runs up, and they shake hands or something I couldn't help but see someone typing /shake hands and then the action pops.

End: Going to buy the game. I have to see the end of the Mass Effect story. Demos are usually months old and not very good representations of the final product.

TsunamiWombat:
Still debating that Preorder because of Origin... :\

Still debating purchase because of Origin. If it is good and Origin doesn't change, I'll be so so sad.

endtherapture:
It also left a really deep emotional impact on me I dunno I wanted to cry at one point in the game.

You were? Because I...

Isalan:

Goofguy:

I might try to get my dad to play it on Story mode, cos he loves SciFi, but Jesus H. Monkeyballs he sucks ass at any kind of action game.

I noticed a "narrative" difficult setting underneath "casual" - he should fine.

fnartilter:
-Dialogue was limited. Although I read from a couple posters on the Bioware forums that it had been gutted to prevent spoilers.

Yeah, the level on Sur'kesh (or however the hell you spell it, the Salarian joint) has a ton of dialogue before the shooting starts. Wrex grumbles a whole lot, you get to chat with Kirahee, you meet Mordin and get some background.

In the demo they just fade out and skip to the shooting. Kind of a shame.

Pros

-The combat improvements. People can harp on about "Gears of Mass Effect" all they want... but this is what I wished the combat was like in the first game. It's fast paced, smooth and it feels much more tactical than the first two. I actually enjoy that you can stay out of cover as well... at times.

-The music is incredible. It feels like a perfect blend between the soundtracks of the first two games. I was a bit disappointed that the game over screen had the same track as Mass Effect 2 though.

-The leveling system is a definite improvement over Mass Effect 2's. It's not as deep as I was expecting, but it's definitely better than the leveling system in the previous two games.

-A health bar! And the Medi-Gel actually heals you again.

-The melee was fun, but the Omniblade feels broken as hell. They should probably put a cool down on that.

Cons

-As much as I enjoyed the opening, I would have liked to have more control over what Shepard said. I understand BioWare is going for a more cinematic approach, but not even having an investigate or neutral dialogue option was kind of disheartening. Although those were apparently removed in the demo to avoid spoilers.

-We didn't get to play with the weapon customization in the demo, and that was kind of frustrating.

-Some of the animations are a little goofy looking.

-Lack of sniper rifle for the infiltrator. Although it was fun to sneak up on enemies while cloaked, and kill them with the Omni-blade.

The game looks like it is shaping up great, and I loved the demo despite its flaws. It left me wanting more, and I am eagerly anticipating my pre-order to arrive when it comes out.

Flailing Escapist:

endtherapture:

You were? Because I...

I KNEW I was getting played by Bioware, it was so obvious and forced but the combination of leaving Anderson behind, innocent casualties in War etc. etc. meant that my emotions were running high. It really looked like the kid was gonna get away for a second so it was a glimmer of false hope. It may have been cheap by Bioware, but holy shit for me it worked, beautifully.

I will have to wait for a crack to appear so I guess I am skipping the demo, unless a version that does not require Origin appears.

In the end, purchase the game, crack the mother, play, post videos on youtube gloating that even though I did not pirate the game I would never use Origin ever again!!! The multiplayer means nothing to me for this game so I will gladly pass. Besides, having a cracked version will open up modding potential!

Now that I've plyed the demo I can safely say most of my fears have been settled. Plus,

That one point alone had me squealing like a little girl. Now all I want is to see Rannoch, Kal'Reager, and an awesome ending for both my Renagade FemShep/Liara and a Paragon MaleShep/Tali.

Personaly...i hated the demo. Well hate is a bit strong. Disliked is a better word. I cant help but feel like ME is going the cod rout even by killing a child...in almost the same bloody way. unlocking new characters and weapons in co-op is all luck based in wich i find flawd and at the start of the game you can even chose to have the game chose for you. Now I dont know about you, but Mass Effect has always been about choices and that mode isnt masse ffect and I thing in the long run the whole game will suffer....though this is what ive come to expect from EA and there sleazy ways. first with dead space 2 then battle field 3 now mass effect 3 now i still loved dead space 2. BF3 ehh not at all. though do i think ME3 will be good yeah. Do i think it will be worthy of being the last ME game? Nope. all i can compare ME3 to is idiana johnes and the crystal skull. not terrible but definitely not fitting of the Mass Effect name.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked