So, now that the Mass Effect 3 Demo is out...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

spartandude:

also whats up with the reaper invasion? it seems like they just land with no fuss, no resistance fromt the humans or anything. yet they seem totally nerfed. remember the utter destruction only one of them unleashed in ME1? now they can bearly destroy a building

You mean, "float slowly towards the citadel while the geth fleet does all the work"? Cause that's that I saw at the end of ME1. The Reapers are strong, I'll give you that (which, is clearly shown in the demo when they wipe out the entire human fleet without shepard even knowing.) But their real strengths have always been intelligence and numbers. And surprise. But Sherpards made sure they lost that advantage. At least a little bit.

It was really, really good.

I Love the gameplay but the dialog was a bit off... and the combat rolls did more damage then they helped:

"Take cover sir? Why would you, you're a sentinel use your armor! As to prove our point we'll just roll you AWAY from the cover..."

Yeah...

And I squeeled like a 10 year old girl meeting JB face to face when i first saw Kaidan and Garrus! :D

This in-consistent post is a attempt at saying that I'm looking forward to this game... ALOT!

Not played demo as full game is out in a month. But not happy that they added another human instead of another alien character. The humans were the most boring characters in ME1 and ME2. Atleast we have Garrus, Tali and Liara.

just give me the damn game already. that is all.

Having lots of fun with the mulitplayer, surprisingly.

DrWilhelm:
Aside from the combat, which has been greatly improved (aside from the over-burdened spacebar), I've got to say that I'm extremely disapointed. The intro just feels very weak.

Who is James Vega, and why is he chummy with Shepard when we've never met him before?

his role is explained in the comic tie and in the game, he was a part of Shepards trial.

Why aren't I allowed to choose Shepard's dialogue?

Its a Demo

Why is Anderson on Earth?

Spoilers from the leaked game script, suggest he gives up his position on the citadel after Shepards trial.

What happened in Shepard's trial? Why has Shepard's trial been skipped for that matter? That would have been such an engaging scene, not to mention an excellent opportunity for some needed exposition.

Uncertain, would have loved to see it too, but as a framing device, setting the game after Shepards trial leaves enough downtime to get all the characters in their respective positions.

Anderson claims Shepard hasn't been court martialled, so why has he been relieved of his rank, duty and ship?

Mass Effect 2 DLC the Arrival explains it.

What is Ashley doing on Earth? What's with the make-up and hair? That style is frankly impractical and hazardous for someone on combat duty, and it seems utterly out of character for someone with the no-nonsense attitude she had in Mass Effect 1.

Shepards influence on her had an effect? I mean my Shepard strolled around in make up all the time.

Why is the Defence Council full of useless idiots? The dialogue in this scene is awfully cheesy as well. "We fight or we die" indeed...

The Reapers shouldn't be invading Earth so early in the game. We've had no opportunity to develop an emotional investment in the location and population beyond what we already possess innately as humans.

Because of this and because the invasion has been so heavily hyped in the marketing, the actual moment is frightfully dull. There's just no impact to it, no sense of surprise.

Oh look, they've killed everyone attending the Defence Council session, making the previous scene pretty much pointless except to showcase the invasion. I don't even care that everyone died because, once again, we have no attachment to them. I also don't buy that the only survivors were Shepard and Anderson. It's just too convenient that the two named characters escaped with a few scratches and some bruising while everyone else got pulped. We should see people pulling themselves to their feet, screaming for help, trying to clear the doorway.

Why is all the cool stuff happening in the background? Sure we get a few stray blasts headed in our direction but for the most part all the major action is seperate from the player. We should be on the streets, not wandering about atop a skyscraper. We ought to be in the thick of things, fighting through waves of husks, leading survivors to safety, fleeing and hiding, dodgeing the concrete shattering steps of a Reaper. The sort of thing that might actually generate some excitement. In it's current state the opening manages to feel very rushed, whilst paradoxically lacking any real urgency. The lack of emotional investment I mentioned earlier? Being removed from the action like this doesn't help.

So heat sinks are being reffered to as ammo now? It was annoying enough when they were introduced in a pointless attempt to make the gunplay feel more like a traditional shooter. Now it's as if the writers don't even care enough to keep up the pretense.

Ashley says over the radio that the Reapers are about to take down a dreadnought. We then see a Reaper blow up what looks to be a relatively small Alliance ship. Certainly it doesn't look much larger than the Normandy. In previous games dreadnoughts were described as being a kilometer long and incapable of generating a mass effect field strong enough allow entry into a planet's atmosphere.

Why does Anderson want to stay ground side? He's too old to be worth much fighting on the front lines, while his high level of military and political experience makes him more valuable in an administration position. He should be taken to the Citadel in order to organise the other races, or otherwise taken to an Alliance millitary installation where he can rally and direct Earth's defenders. Is he still on the Citadel Council? I've heard some sources claim he resigned, but the demo never mentions his position.

And that kid shows up again, and shortly thereafter gets vaporised by a Reaper. Again, an attempt at creating emotional impact, but again it fails because we have no reason to care about him. We barely know him. He had maybe three lines of bad dialogue. We don't even know his name for pity's sake. [quote]Im hoping that it isnt part of the reaper negotiation subplot that was leaked, that it might be a link between Shepard and the reapers after being exposed to the artifact on the Arrival DLC, but everything seems to be pointing to Shepard imagining the kid or it being implanted into Shepards brain.

Why didn't the child-killing Reaper or any of the others in the area even try to shoot down the Normandy during that overly soppy sequence? It got the shuttles easily enough, and the Normandy was virtually stationary in front of it the whole time. Surely Harbinger has labelled Shepard and the Normandy as high priority targets after the events of the previous games. And why prioritise the civillian targets over the Normandy anyway? I thought the Reapers goal was to harvest organic life, especially humanity if Mass Effect 2 was any indication. I suspect that organics become significantly harder to harvest when they're reduced to so many vaporised particles drifting in the wind. The Reapers should be performing surgical strikes on millitary targets while limiting collateral damage. Instead it almost looks like they're doing the opposite.
[quote]Agreed that was a contrived scene, and If I had to defend it I would say that the Normandys stealth fields were active, but the game will have to mention that for it to be a worthy defense.

Okay well that grew into something rather more...thorough...than I'd intended, but I hope I got my feeling's across. I know some of those point's look rather nitpicky, but as they say, the devil is in the details. While I did enjoy the combat, I can't really say that I've got high hopes for the story quality after this.

Its ok, some of those are very spot on, Im still hoping the actual game will address them, if not they will become annoyances.

spartandude:

the27thvoice:
I
4. FemShep. I get it, you want her "hotter" so you can use her to market the game, but at least give me the OPTION to play her with the look she's had for two games prior.

yh it seems like they really improved the male creator (its now possible to make someone handsome). but the female... i used to be able to make some pretty attractive characters now when i tried it i could only make shit

also whats up with the reaper invasion? it seems like they just land with no fuss, no resistance fromt the humans or anything. yet they seem totally nerfed. remember the utter destruction only one of them unleashed in ME1? now they can bearly destroy a building

ps, to all those saying we cant judge it because its a demo, if we had said it was the best experience of all time you wouldnt be telling us its just a demo

I think they landed with no fuss because they took out the fleet that was surrounding Earth, that's what those flamming objects faling towards Earth were.

spartandude:

Sorry, I usually don't comment on people spelling stuff wrong, but when you say bearly (as opposed to barely/hardly), my mind wanders to this:

I really wanna see the reapers rawrbomb earth.

garjian:

boag:

garjian:
im really disappointed...

Whos this "James" guy and why can i already imagine tearing out his internal organs for fun?
Why are we back to the Mass Effect 1 team again? They were boring the first time and the only people missing are whoever-died and Tali. Cant they be bothered to make some new characters, who would at least be interesting for a little while because they are new? :/

I dont understand, first you complain about the new character being there, then you complain about no new characters.

Can you make up your mind please

I did say that in a weird order.
James isn't very interesting, despite being new... I'm not sure why, but he's really aggravating me already. When I say new characters, I think I meant those with at least a ounce of personality to delve into.

That's why I don't like him, and now, why I hate him.

Everyone in that scene, including Shepard, is wearing a uniform, James is not. James has a different body type which no human in Mass Effect has had before, as far as I can remember.
Both of these highlight areas of control over my character that I would not have even thought about if he weren't there, like in previous Mass Effects. James becomes a symbol of that lack of control. So when I can't decide wether or not my Shepard gives a crap about some annoying brat dying, it's James' fault. When I can't select my dialogue and I'm forced to say random, cheesy action movie crap, it's James' fault. That's what's happened here.
Again, I am aware that this is a demo, but he makes a terrible first impression. I hope it turns out he's just Andersons personal trainer and never escaped earth.

Lol, thats a clever way of putting it, but yes I agree, his design clashes horribly with the over all game tone, I mean Shepard has bionic implants that let him lift heavy rubble right now, so maybe Vega is jacked up on super space steroids, im hoping there will be some dialog in the game that makes fun of this point.

DrWilhelm:

Redingold:

I agree with the things you've said, but I don't recall Bioware saying that the demo contained the complete opening of the game. Do you have a source for that?

Hmm, I can't find anything at the moment, though I'm sure I read it somewhere, either on Bioware's twitter feed or from a Bioware official on their forums. Not that it wouldn't be the first time that my brain has played tricks on me. Nevertheless the demo imples to me that we have seen more or less the full opening. I mean, we don't see a loading screen in the opening like the one that prefaces the Sur'Kesh section, helping to bridge the gaps created by cut content.

I'll keep looking for an official confirmation on the demo contents, but it's probably buried somewhere on the Bioware forums if I saw it all. Take what I said on that point with a pinch of salt I guess.

Did find this thread though: http://social.bioware.com/forums/forum/1/topic/323/index/9243095/1 where a lot of people seem to be implying that there originally was a trial in the game, or at least there was intended to be one, but it got cut for whatever reason. That could explain why a lot of us feel that the intro felt rushed and a little confusing.

Edit: The ME3 demo also fits the format of the ME2 demo. Full opening sequence, followed by a cut to a later level. So that sort of implies that it's full opening as well. A bit, anyway.

The unfinished unplayable trial game suffered from a leak, tahts where most of the story leaks came from.

Steampunk Viking:

Frozengale:
Also Cerberus.... wtf... why are they trying to stop the saving of the Universe. I'm sorry Bioware you won't be able to explain that one away very well I'm sure.

In the books, the Illusive Man has been toying with Reaper tech for a while, installing it into living subjects so they can be manipulated by the Reapers and then be observed so that Cerberus can "counteract" it. It's possible the Reapers are indoctrinating the Illusive Man and members of Cerberus subtley purely from them having this technology.

It's not too impossible to pull off. Also, everyone asks about the Illusive Man's eyes. Just what is he?

Maybe Cerberus are using Reaper tech to "improve" themselves and therefore making themselves a back door for the Reapers to possess them. They are obsessed with improving humanity afterall...

The Mass Effect Evolution Comic explains some of the Back story of the illusive man and the ideals of Cerberus.

scar_47:
Looking good besides a few graphical and animation issues. What I really don't understand is people making huge leaps about the story and dialogue you don't get much of either your looking at a 30 minute peace of whats probably a 40 hour game and your judging things beyond basic mechanics, people are crazy.

Not only is this just a small portion, it is actually heavily cut. They took lots of things out to not make the demo too big.

*shrug*

Honestly, maybe I was just spoiled by Deus Ex HR (which I'm actually replaying at the moment).

I mean, the demo wasn't bad (I like how the powers are being handled. More branching = good!). But the controls just felt awkward (specifically getting into cover), and a lot of the dialogue felt off, especially at the start. (except for the squad banter, which is awesome as always).

Yeah, I'm still gonna get the game. But the demo didn't quite blow me away.

Ethan Isaacs:

endtherapture:
I really enjoyed the demo. More tactical than ME2, more intense than ME1, it was perhaps the perfect fusion between the two games. I was really pleasantly surprised.

It also left a really deep emotional impact on me I dunno I wanted to cry at one point in the game.

I dont think that boy was real.

Reason 1 when he climbed onto the ship no one helped him not even the soliders, now I think its a little odd no one noticed him at all or interacted with him.

Reason 2 when you meet him he vanishes as soon as you look away.

Reason 3 the distance he would have to cross would be too much for him to handle

Not to mention he stares right at you the whole time. Like he is looking into your soul Oo

spartandude:

the27thvoice:
I
4. FemShep. I get it, you want her "hotter" so you can use her to market the game, but at least give me the OPTION to play her with the look she's had for two games prior.

yh it seems like they really improved the male creator (its now possible to make someone handsome). but the female... i used to be able to make some pretty attractive characters now when i tried it i could only make shit

ps, to all those saying we cant judge it because its a demo, if we had said it was the best experience of all time you wouldnt be telling us its just a demo

Well, It is easier to destroy a ship in space than a building on earth, a single piece of space debris the size of a size can cause catastrophic damage in space.

KrossBillNye:

Ethan Isaacs:

endtherapture:
I really enjoyed the demo. More tactical than ME2, more intense than ME1, it was perhaps the perfect fusion between the two games. I was really pleasantly surprised.

It also left a really deep emotional impact on me I dunno I wanted to cry at one point in the game.

I dont think that boy was real.

Reason 1 when he climbed onto the ship no one helped him not even the soliders, now I think its a little odd no one noticed him at all or interacted with him.

Reason 2 when you meet him he vanishes as soon as you look away.

Reason 3 the distance he would have to cross would be too much for him to handle

Not to mention he stares right at you the whole time. Like he is looking into your soul Oo

Yeah, im thinking it might be a side effect illusion from the interaction with the Artifact from The Arrival.

I am fully looking forward to punching Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani in the face for the third time. >:-)

debra_ beretta:
I am fully looking forward to punching Khalisah Bint Sinan al-Jilani in the face for the third time. >:-)

Biotic punch

I gotta say, fucking impressed. played it on pc, as high as the specs in the demo allowed, and ran incredibly smoothly, better than me2...

the gameplay seems to have improved drastically, obviously storywise i look forward to when it is actually released, but so far all is good! now the impatience begins.

Pretty much what I think:

Gah. What can I say? Played as an Engineer, well because as soon as I saw the words "combat drone" and "sentry turret", I remembered the fond days playing as an Enginneer on Killzone 3 and eagerly pressed the X button only to be shocked at FemShep's face and the oh-so-low textures that brought me memories of Mass Effect 1, which I enjoyed very much (Infiltrator + Sabotage + Overload + Assassinate + Sniper Rifle + ??? = PROFIT.). Soon I found out the Engineer's toys weren't as fun to play with and felt lost with the battle system. Seriously, Mass Effect 3's controls are rivaling Prince of Persia 2008's "press E to do everything" scheme. Combat was a drag and nothing seemed to affect anything, the sound effect for the guns made them sound weak and the gap in power between Tech and Biotic abilities has grown. For example, compare the Vanguard's charge to the Combat Drone - the Vanguard wins, no contest. As for the story and roleplay, I sank into despair where I spyed blankness where the "Investigate" and the "Neutral" options where, but I continued onward to the end of the demo praying that this was not representative of the final product and sank back into sniping geth on Mass Effect 1.

Edit: Approve of the video on the post above.

I loved the demo! I'll probably play it a few times to see the differences, but here are my first impressions.

Omni-blade KICKS FRICKIN ASS. PERIOD.

I actually like the opening scene. It just feels so epic. The invasion is finally here, and it's a frantic rush to escape in time. I already knew about the boy, but it was still heart-wrenching to watch. It made this definitely feel like an epic beginning to the war.

(Although I was kinda taken out of it when all these little ships were being blown to bits while the Normandy can fly around without a shot being fired at it. Come on! Add to the suspense by having the Normandy dodging shots and barely escaping unharmed.)

The controls will take some getting used to now that I am used ME2's controls. Several times I would roll instead of getting into cover; or keep switching cover spots while trying to get out.

Loved the new RPG elements. Definitely reminds me more of ME1's style (which I liked a lot).

Voice acting is still great. I noticed the odd graphics at times but figure it won't be there later.

All-in-all, this has made me even more excited for March. Combine the RPG from ME1 with the combat of ME2 along with the great decision-making choices from both, and I believe this will be a great game!

Just tried it for the 2nd time and I now feel less enthusiastic. Seems like Dragon Age 2 all over again. I deliberately chose opposite in all conversations than I did last time, and nothing changed. Not one bit. The council is killed before anything you said could even hope to matter, the little kid dies no matter what, Wrex can't come with you no matter what...the dialogue is just there to give you the illusion of control, like a steering wheel for children in front of the passenger seat.
Might be it's just the demo, but if a demo is supposed to demonstrate how a game will be, Bioware grabbed the wrong end of the stick here.

Nimcha:

DrWilhelm:
Snip

You know, the point of a demo is to entice you to get the full game. Not to answer any and all questions you might have.

I thought I'd clarify since you seem to be confused about a demo's purpose.

And if it fails to live up to it's role, that can also affect a person's purchase. If someone plays the Demo and says "You know, I don't like what I see." then it is a really weak argument to say "Look, it's only a demo, buy the full game to get more!"

That's not how it works. the Demo is a Hook. If it doesn't hook you, why bother risking sixty bucks on something that's already unimpressed you?

undeadsuitor:

spartandude:

You mean, "float slowly towards the citadel while the geth fleet does all the work"? Cause that's that I saw at the end of ME1. The Reapers are strong, I'll give you that (which, is clearly shown in the demo when they wipe out the entire human fleet without shepard even knowing.) But their real strengths have always been intelligence and numbers. And surprise. But Sherpards made sure they lost that advantage. At least a little bit.

really?

i must have imagined that whole bit where the alliance was shooting at it once it was already on the citadel and it was one shotting alliance cruisers

but my point was (granted i didnt explain ti very well) is that the reapers land like its no big deal, absolutely no word from the fleet at all, despite the whole picking up huge fleet on sensors, no one seems to be too concerned about it, they dont evacuate, and the fleet just dissapears with out anyone knowing
it also kinda ruined my immersion when it see,ed plenty enough time for news reporters to get shows about it well under way

Groxnax:

spartandude:

the27thvoice:
I

I think they landed with no fuss because they took out the fleet that was surrounding Earth, that's what those flamming objects faling towards Earth were.

actually those were reapers.

but how did they take out the fleet so quickly with it ever getting word out like "shit this is a jammy situation guvner!"
yet it was enough time few news crews to start filming

the27thvoice:

spartandude:

Sorry, I usually don't comment on people spelling stuff wrong, but when you say bearly (as opposed to barely/hardly), my mind wanders to this:

I really wanna see the reapers rawrbomb earth.

ok that one made me laugh :)

boag:

spartandude:

the27thvoice:
I

Well, It is easier to destroy a ship in space than a building on earth, a single piece of space debris the size of a size can cause catastrophic damage in space.

these are warships how should be able to withstand nuclear warheads. they are built for combat, while i imagine building are probably sturdier in the future, id still wager that warships are more durable

spartandude:

undeadsuitor:

spartandude:

really?

i must have imagined that whole bit where the alliance was shooting at it once it was already on the citadel and it was one shotting alliance cruisers

but my point was (granted i didnt explain ti very well) is that the reapers land like its no big deal, absolutely no word from the fleet at all, despite the whole picking up huge fleet on sensors, no one seems to be too concerned about it, they dont evacuate, and the fleet just dissapears with out anyone knowing
it also kinda ruined my immersion when it see,ed plenty enough time for news reporters to get shows about it well under way

yeah, that isn't how i remember it either. soveriegn was so bored with the alliance fleet at the end of ME1 at first it wasn't even bothering to fire its weapons, rather simply ramming any cruiser foolish to get it its way as bee lined toward the citadel. when it attached itself to the citadel, it took the entire remaining fleet to take it down ... bioware even made a point to have someone say (something like), "it's too big, it's tearing us apart" and admiral hackett (how did i pull that name out of my ass?) responding "it must be destroyed, no matter the cost". implying he was ready to sacrifice the entire fleet to destroy a single reaper.

this has always been the biggest issue facing a resolution to the ME series. how can any race (or combination of races) stand up to a "race" like the reapers whose sole (and unknowable) purpose seems to be the elimination of other species at their apex? granted having some warning will help, but i will be curious to see how bioware resolves that problem without reducing the reapers into just another powerful race or obstacle to overcome (like the collectors).

Ascarus:
snip

tbh i think they wont explain it, i have little faith in their writing these days

Soviet Heavy:

Nimcha:

DrWilhelm:
Snip

You know, the point of a demo is to entice you to get the full game. Not to answer any and all questions you might have.

I thought I'd clarify since you seem to be confused about a demo's purpose.

And if it fails to live up to it's role, that can also affect a person's purchase. If someone plays the Demo and says "You know, I don't like what I see." then it is a really weak argument to say "Look, it's only a demo, buy the full game to get more!"

That's not how it works. the Demo is a Hook. If it doesn't hook you, why bother risking sixty bucks on something that's already unimpressed you?

That's all true.

However, most of the criticisms in the post I quoted were questions that cannot possibly be answered in any demo whatsoever, since this demo only covers a very small percentage of the plot. Besides that most of them were also of the 'why is grass green' variety.

spartandude:

We already know not every Reaper is the same, lets use the phrase "make and model", as Sovereign. For example these gounded Reapers are not as massive.

I wouldn't want to ruin your fun.

DrWilhelm:

Ashley says over the radio that the Reapers are about to take down a dreadnought. We then see a Reaper blow up what looks to be a relatively small Alliance ship. Certainly it doesn't look much larger than the Normandy. In previous games dreadnoughts were described as being a kilometer long and incapable of generating a mass effect field strong enough allow entry into a planet's atmosphere.

To be fair that Dreadnought look like it was a long way off in the distance; so much so that I was stunned that the shockwave of its explosion reached where I was. You'll notice the debris doesn't go very far though.

DrWilhelm:

Why didn't the child-killing Reaper or any of the others in the area even try to shoot down the Normandy during that overly soppy sequence? It got the shuttles easily enough, and the Normandy was virtually stationary in front of it the whole time. Surely Harbinger has labelled Shepard and the Normandy as high priority targets after the events of the previous games. And why prioritise the civillian targets over the Normandy anyway? I thought the Reapers goal was to harvest organic life, especially humanity if Mass Effect 2 was any indication. I suspect that organics become significantly harder to harvest when they're reduced to so many vaporised particles drifting in the wind. The Reapers should be performing surgical strikes on millitary targets while limiting collateral damage. Instead it almost looks like they're doing the opposite.

I thoroughly agree on this point. The whole time I was screaming at the screen for Joker to gun the Normandy and haul ass out of there before it got vaporized.

I played the demo again today.Has anyone else done so? And if so, have you noticed any difference from yesterday?

Saegrim:
I played the demo again today.Has anyone else done so? And if so, have you noticed any difference from yesterday?

Why would there be, unless there's some kind of patch popup?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked