So, now that the Mass Effect 3 Demo is out...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Saegrim:
I played the demo again today.Has anyone else done so? And if so, have you noticed any difference from yesterday?

Aside from the obvious, in that the multiplayer is up now?

So far so good on my experience with the multiplayer, BTW. It's way more difficult than the regular game, I started out stupidly holding down Shift and wondering why the action wasn't pausing :P Only gave it a quick go and couldn't get a game running with a full team of four but even so, it's got that addictive "just one more go" feel about it. Be interesting to see if that lasts, I guess.

Compared to yesterday, I'm able to hear a lot more, especially in the second mission.

edit

hulksmashley:
I really liked that you get Kaidan/Ashley back so quickly, but let's be honest. The Fem Shep hairstyles are crap.

They've always been crap - human female hair just isn't something Bioware is very good at (along with human male beards, if Dragon Age is anything to go by)

After installing Origin, playing the demo, and uninstalling Origin, I can say I was underwhelmed.

Say what you will about the manipulative shock value of Mass Effect 2's opening, but it was a lot better than this.

-Like others have already said, the animations are pretty terrible, especially the facial expressions. Anderson might have looked like a potato in the first two games, but he was an expressive potato. The running animation looks like the player is running bow legged for example.

-Ashley's redesign looks plastic. Her face doesn't move at all.

-So now Anderson will be an Admiral despite any choices you made in the past two games? Anderson's on the Council in ME2? Sorry, he's back with the military now! And Leliana can be resurrected by Andraste's cremated corpse while we're at it!

-When did Bioware decide to hire the Capcom employee from Lost Planet who insists every action be controlled by a single button? I can't count how many times I wanted to sprint, only to do a combat roll, or a backflip, or a sidestep. Use some more buttons, you have a whole bloody keyboard.

-Coupled with the above gripe is the motion blurring. Now, motion blurring didn't bother me much in Mass Effect 2, because the only time it showed up was when you were sprinting. Here, half your screen looks like it is tearing if you so much as jerk your targeting reticle.

-The Character creator looks like it has made improvements and missteps. On one hand, the character you create now looks the same in the creator as it does in game, unlike Mass Effect 2, where once the mouth starts moving, you realize you've made a grave mistake.

The problem is I feel like it has adopted some of the problems Dragon Age 2's creator had, namely that while it is easier to make a visually appealing face, it is harder to make a unique one. Most of the faces look incredibly similar to each other regardless of the amount of tweaking. The Hair styles have gotten an upgrade, but this is still Bioware playdough hair.

-Pacing is very awkward. I'm not sure how this will be handled in the full game, but the way it was presented here was painful. James Vega is suddenly well known to the Commander despite never showing up in a game before. The court hearing for your actions in Arrival is handwaved. Suddenly Reapers! Oh, and the Normandy

-In comparison to the explosive start to ME2, ME3 feels awfully quiet, despite the giant robots. Mass Effect 2 was jolting, because your super cool ship was gone. It's like watching the Millennium Falcon or the USS Enterprise going down, it's gonna hurt. Here.... you run along a building, except you are pulled out of the game every five minutes to watch a spectacle piece. LOOK OUT! HERE COMES A LASER BLAST! STOP PLAYING AND WATCH IT! This wouldn't bother me so much if they let you keep control of your character. Instead, the game takes control away from you and forces you to watch the event happen.

-Maybe I'm spoiled because of Uncharted, Bioshock, and Killzone 3's water effects, but my god were the visuals on the waterfront poor.

-The child scene made me more angry than sad. Bioware is above this. I felt more connection in Dragon Age Origins when the elder Cousland's young son was murdered in his sleep than here. The whole thing felt awfully forced and heavy handed, and the mournful piano playing made things blatantly obvious what they were trying to do.

-Default FemShep looks bad. She has the same deformed face as James and Nu Anderson, it looks too flat and non emotive. And look, another red haired green eyed heroine. Never seen one of those before. I would have liked if they'd modeled her after a real person like they did with Sheploo, because they really can't use their own creator engine.

-The second part of the demo was slightly better, especially in pacing. However, it was here especially that the problem of having every action mapped to the spacebar became apparent. With so much cover and items to pick up, one errant tap of the space bar could send you flying into the open.

-I'm not gonna bother trying to talk about the story, because there was pretty much nothing here apart from "REAPERS ATTACK EARTH" and "SAVE KROGAN". And Bioware has shown that they don't really give a shit about your choices if they impact the story.

-Visuals are very muddy. We had a color choice of grey earth, or brown sarkesh, and they both made target identification a pain in the ass, since everything blended together. Still the same low res texture problem that the last game had, and an even more barren graphics menu.

-Before anyone starts moaning that I shouldn't judge the game by the demo, let me make one thing clear: the demo is meant to give you a taste of what the full game is like. If it doesn't work for me, then I won't buy the full game. So don't start whining "but it's just a demo, the full game is far better!"
Last time that happened was Dragon Age 2. And it turned out that its demo was exactly the same as what we got in the final product.

-With that said, I have drawn the conclusion that I will not be buying the full version of Mass Effect 3.

TheCommanders:
I've heard (and confirmation or otherwise on this would be good) that some of the texture on the consoles looked off because they had to be reduced to fit the demo size limit. I realize it's a short demo compared to the size of the game, but compared to the between 5 and 20 minute demos of most game, it's bloody enormous. Anybody know if this is true?

It makes perfect sense. The lower res textures would be a hell of a lot smaller in size than the high res ones. Usually games use both, the low res when you are far away from an object and the high res once you get close up. Perhaps Bioware just dropped the high res textures as a sure fire way to keep the size down. Although they've obviously kept some in. You may notice that Ashley looks a hell of a lot better than Anderson.

I hope this also has something to do with the sub-par lip synching.

spartandude:

boag:

spartandude:

yh it seems like they really improved the male creator (its now possible to make someone handsome). but the female... i used to be able to make some pretty attractive characters now when i tried it i could only make shit

also whats up with the reaper invasion? it seems like they just land with no fuss, no resistance fromt the humans or anything. yet they seem totally nerfed. remember the utter destruction only one of them unleashed in ME1? now they can bearly destroy a building

ps, to all those saying we cant judge it because its a demo, if we had said it was the best experience of all time you wouldnt be telling us its just a demo

Well, It is easier to destroy a ship in space than a building on earth, a single piece of space debris the size of a size can cause catastrophic damage in space.

these are warships how should be able to withstand nuclear warheads. they are built for combat, while i imagine building are probably sturdier in the future, id still wager that warships are more durable

Well, The structural improvements that can be made into a warship would certainly be passed on to a base of military operations, wouldnt it?

If you have the tech to make a warship that can shrug off atomic warheads, why wouldnt you build a base that can do the same if its the nerve center for your military operations?

Ascarus:

spartandude:

undeadsuitor:

You mean, "float slowly towards the citadel while the geth fleet does all the work"? Cause that's that I saw at the end of ME1. The Reapers are strong, I'll give you that (which, is clearly shown in the demo when they wipe out the entire human fleet without shepard even knowing.) But their real strengths have always been intelligence and numbers. And surprise. But Sherpards made sure they lost that advantage. At least a little bit.

really?

i must have imagined that whole bit where the alliance was shooting at it once it was already on the citadel and it was one shotting alliance cruisers

but my point was (granted i didnt explain ti very well) is that the reapers land like its no big deal, absolutely no word from the fleet at all, despite the whole picking up huge fleet on sensors, no one seems to be too concerned about it, they dont evacuate, and the fleet just dissapears with out anyone knowing
it also kinda ruined my immersion when it see,ed plenty enough time for news reporters to get shows about it well under way

yeah, that isn't how i remember it either. soveriegn was so bored with the alliance fleet at the end of ME1 at first it wasn't even bothering to fire its weapons, rather simply ramming any cruiser foolish to get it its way as bee lined toward the citadel. when it attached itself to the citadel, it took the entire remaining fleet to take it down ... bioware even made a point to have someone say (something like), "it's too big, it's tearing us apart" and admiral hackett (how did i pull that name out of my ass?) responding "it must be destroyed, no matter the cost". implying he was ready to sacrifice the entire fleet to destroy a single reaper.

this has always been the biggest issue facing a resolution to the ME series. how can any race (or combination of races) stand up to a "race" like the reapers whose sole (and unknowable) purpose seems to be the elimination of other species at their apex? granted having some warning will help, but i will be curious to see how bioware resolves that problem without reducing the reapers into just another powerful race or obstacle to overcome (like the collectors).

I have the anwser for this.

Technological improvemnts across different facets of the races.

This comes into play because something that was done in ME2, the Thanix Canon that shrdes the Collector Ship to pieces was reverse engineered by Turians from Reaper Technology.

The same way the humans were able to use the Advanced Hull Plating, in ME2 you get it because you have the entire weight of Cerberus backing you for this and no red tape to hold you over, the military would have to approve the development and a defense budget to produce it.

Sadly, im fairly certain given the leaks that some kind of Plot Device will have to found scattered across the entire Galaxy, and one completed it gives Shepard the Leverage to bring the reapers into the negotiation table.

spartandude:

ps, to all those saying we cant judge it because its a demo, if we had said it was the best experience of all time you wouldnt be telling us its just a demo

Well, here is the thing, a Demo is usually a small part of a game, if a Demo came out and was so impressive that it had people salivating, then it would be expected that the game is just as good or better.

Its still being judged in the same vein, the game is always expected to be just as good or better than a demo because a demo is always incomplete, no matter if the demo was good or bad.

AD-Stu:

Frozengale:
Also Cerberus.... wtf... why are they trying to stop the saving of the Universe. I'm sorry Bioware you won't be able to explain that one away very well I'm sure.

I'll be interested to see exactly how they handle this too, but they've been foreshadowing it - especially if you've read the Evolution comic or, failing that, looked at the Illusive Man's eyes in ME2.

I believe Bioware has stated that the Illusive man is NOT indoctrinated. That said I believe his minions just might be. (his own mind-controlled slave army, oh how quaint...) So why would he fight you then? Well maybe because he doesn't see fighting the Reapers as a viable choice, that humanity must take a new form as a Reaper and Shepard is in the way of that? Or maybe the same reason as Saren before he completely lost it, that only by working with them can he make himself useful enough to spare. I remember that doctor Breen in Half-life helped the combine by making humans seem useful instead of letting humanity be destroyed... *shrugs*

Setrus:
I believe Bioware has stated that the Illusive man is NOT indoctrinated. That said I believe his minions just might be. (his own mind-controlled slave army, oh how quaint...) So why would he fight you then? Well maybe because he doesn't see fighting the Reapers as a viable choice, that humanity must take a new form as a Reaper and Shepard is in the way of that? Or maybe the same reason as Saren before he completely lost it, that only by working with them can he make himself useful enough to spare. I remember that doctor Breen in Half-life helped the combine by making humans seem useful instead of letting humanity be destroyed... *shrugs*

There's also the events of the Invasion comic to consider - I haven't had a chance to read it all yet, but based on the overviews...

Plus whether or not he's indoctrinated, he's definitely been in contact with a Reaper artifact similar to the one Shepard encountered in Arrival.

Anywho, I'm still confident it'll all be explained in-game.

That opening scene was rushed. No trial. come on? I was looking forward to that. Instead we get to play interactive boom-theatre.
Sorry Bioware, you've lost your way.

I was surprised with how big the demo was. I thought it would end after Earth.

Downsides: Anderson's running animation. It's so ridiculously bad. I'm serious. I am NOT over exaggerating. It is FUCKING BAD.

Shepard's sprinting motion is also pretty bad, but whatever. I'm still peeved that they never fixed that 'gun stays perfectly still while running' animation. It was really unnerving in 2, and it's still there now.

Now, for the good:

Absolutely everything else.

And the best:

NOVA.

I freaking loved ME2.

ME3 left me incredibly disappointed. Besides some of the nice backdrops and cinematics, the game looks like shit. I don't have the greatest tv but there's definitely something seriously wrong with the coloring. The human characters are hard to look at and all of the characters move and speak in a clunky manner. The combat seems to be exactly like ME2 besides a small tweek to leveling system and the blade. I'm pretty sure COD games have had more improvements with each game. Shepard's movements were awkward at every instant, from the sprint, walking, taking cover....everything was clunky. And the gun, why does it not move! ME2 wasn't perfect in this regard but atleast it was a massive improvement over ME. ME3 seems like ME2, except with a weirder sprint and retarded looking rolls.

Multiplayer....wow......I was actually looking forward to that.

:'(

Steampunk Viking:

Frozengale:
Also Cerberus.... wtf... why are they trying to stop the saving of the Universe. I'm sorry Bioware you won't be able to explain that one away very well I'm sure.

In the books, the Illusive Man has been toying with Reaper tech for a while, installing it into living subjects so they can be manipulated by the Reapers and then be observed so that Cerberus can "counteract" it. It's possible the Reapers are indoctrinating the Illusive Man and members of Cerberus subtley purely from them having this technology.

It's not too impossible to pull off. Also, everyone asks about the Illusive Man's eyes. Just what is he?

Maybe Cerberus are using Reaper tech to "improve" themselves and therefore making themselves a back door for the Reapers to possess them. They are obsessed with improving humanity afterall...

Okay that's okay. But I still think an Earth Centric plot is stupid. I don't give a crap about Earth. I liked how in the first one I couldn't even go to Earth, only to the Moon. Screw Earth! Also I'm still not buying the fact that in the weeks it will take them to gather an alliance to defend against the Reapers that Earth will still be there. Also the opening sequence is horrible and makes me laugh... not in a good way like the opening sequence of Kingdom of Amalur did.

boag:

spartandude:

boag:

Well, It is easier to destroy a ship in space than a building on earth, a single piece of space debris the size of a size can cause catastrophic damage in space.

these are warships how should be able to withstand nuclear warheads. they are built for combat, while i imagine building are probably sturdier in the future, id still wager that warships are more durable

Well, The structural improvements that can be made into a warship would certainly be passed on to a base of military operations, wouldnt it?

If you have the tech to make a warship that can shrug off atomic warheads, why wouldnt you build a base that can do the same if its the nerve center for your military operations?

i would imagine it would be expensive and difficult to make an entire city as durable as there ships, and considering that the reapers could just breeze through the fleet with no trouble it seems the cities would be too much trouble

tbh it almost seems as though the reapers are camera shy. when off camera they take out the moon and a giant ass fleet with no trouble at all, but when we see them they suddenly dont do that much

wintercoat:
Oh, also, melee is overpowered. Especially for Sentinels(throw up shield, run at enemies and start meleeing. Take little damage, and everyone dies) and Vanguards(VANGUARD PAUNCH!!!!!). I'd imagine Adepts with the use of stasis(and probably a light loadout for short cooldowns) could also rock melee, but haven't played one yet.

Um, so far in multiplayer the sniper rifle is so OP if you maintain situational awareness it's not funny, and that's with the ridiculously long reload times and constant fucking reload glitches.

Frozengale:

Steampunk Viking:

Frozengale:

In the books, the Illusive Man has been toying with Reaper tech for a while, installing it into living subjects so they can be manipulated by the Reapers and then be observed so that Cerberus can "counteract" it. It's possible the Reapers are indoctrinating the Illusive Man and members of Cerberus subtley purely from them having this technology.

It's not too impossible to pull off. Also, everyone asks about the Illusive Man's eyes. Just what is he?

Maybe Cerberus are using Reaper tech to "improve" themselves and therefore making themselves a back door for the Reapers to possess them. They are obsessed with improving humanity afterall...

Okay that's okay. But I still think an Earth Centric plot is stupid. I don't give a crap about Earth. I liked how in the first one I couldn't even go to Earth, only to the Moon. Screw Earth! Also I'm still not buying the fact that in the weeks it will take them to gather an alliance to defend against the Reapers that Earth will still be there. Also the opening sequence is horrible and makes me laugh... not in a good way like the opening sequence of Kingdom of Amalur did.

I wouldn't say it's an Earth centric plot exactly - the Reapers have come to Earth because it's very obvious that they're interested in humanity for some reason and it's the heart of the species, it'd make sense for them to go straight for Earth. All the homeworlds are visited (well, of the main species anyways).

I do get your point about how long it'll take to take Earth for the Reapers, however they have also said since ME1 that the process of the Reapers harvesting the galaxy can take decades and isn't a quick process, which implies the Reapers, although powerful, aren't so powerful they can just rip apart planets like nothing.

Let's not forget they "harvest" technology, there is probably precision and scavaging involved meaning the Reapers won't just mindlessly destroy everything.

That's my take on it anyways.

Judging from the demo, I think Mass Effect 3 will be good. The gameplay is very fluid compared to Mass Effect 2, and I think the opening really sets the tone of the game.

It's pointless to compare the opening to Mass Effect 2's because nothing can really match up to it. The protaganist died. Nothing beats that shock value.

The new skill trees are a nice edition to the leveling system. I can say that major role players are going to scream "NOT AN RPG!" at this game for the gameplay. It's very actiony, but I like that.

The gameplay feels more mobile than Mass Effect 2's. I don't feel like I'm pinned down behind cover for the entire fight. There are other options. Heavy Melees are mostly icing on the cake, but they are effective against armor.

All in all, I don't think I'll be disappointed.

spartandude:

boag:

spartandude:

i would imagine it would be expensive and difficult to make an entire city as durable as there ships, and considering that the reapers could just breeze through the fleet with no trouble it seems the cities would be too much trouble

tbh it almost seems as though the reapers are camera shy. when off camera they take out the moon and a giant ass fleet with no trouble at all, but when we see them they suddenly dont do that much

Well, there was a Flutter Dragon mod for Skyrim, so I guess there could be a Flutter Reaper mod for ME3

hulksmashley:
The Fem Shep hairstyles are crap.

My 'main' Shep has a ponytail anyway. Looks fine.

is it me or does the default female shepard look a little like Cillian Murphy?

Why is everyone acting like the "no trial" is a new thing?

We've known its been cut for months now.

Nfritzappa:

Who exactly is "we"?

Because it's abundantly clear that many of us didn't know a damn thing.

Soviet Heavy:
Use some more buttons, you have a whole bloody keyboard.

I don't. I play games on the Xbox.

Still, it was pretty annoying even for us.

Nfritzappa:

This, as well as how do you think destroying an entire system that has batarian colonies (which are already angry at humanity) is going to end? I mean come on, it's not like Shepard would be praised for his actions, he's going to get reprimanded and the only reason he isn't discharged is because of his knowledge of the Reapers. Sure it would be a nice little sequence of talking (and there would be a chance that Shepard wouldn't even get the option of making a defense with charges like this) but it's really unnecessary...

Programmed_For_Damage:

TheCommanders:
I've heard (and confirmation or otherwise on this would be good) that some of the texture on the consoles looked off because they had to be reduced to fit the demo size limit. I realize it's a short demo compared to the size of the game, but compared to the between 5 and 20 minute demos of most game, it's bloody enormous. Anybody know if this is true?

It makes perfect sense. The lower res textures would be a hell of a lot smaller in size than the high res ones. Usually games use both, the low res when you are far away from an object and the high res once you get close up. Perhaps Bioware just dropped the high res textures as a sure fire way to keep the size down. Although they've obviously kept some in. You may notice that Ashley looks a hell of a lot better than Anderson.

I hope this also has something to do with the sub-par lip synching.

I'm pretty sure it does, because gameplay trailers all looked fine in that regard. We'll find out either way in 3 weeks. (TOO LOOOONG)

The only thing that bugs me about it is Anderson's weird sprinting animation XD. Guy sure is spry for someone in their late 60s.

It seems to be a perfect blend of ME1 and ME2. Can't wait.

ImmortalDrifter:

DrWilhelm:

Who is James Vega, and why is he chummy with Shepard when we've never met him before?

Book. "Mass Effect: Conviction"

I have some serious issues with that and have had with Bioware about this including plot relevant information into the tie-ins since Dragon Age Origins: Awakenings. Well, since Mass Effect 2 really when they started including plot crucial dialogue and background into outside source material (novels, comics, and other poorly written tie-ins/cash ins) instead of the game itself. After all, the introduction of the Illusive Man was not in Mass Effect 2, nor was it in Mass Effect, but in one of the Mass Effect novels. The entire issue between Cerberus and the Quarians, Shepherd being revived by Cerberus, even the complete shift of the organization from faceless mooks to Martin Sheen, etc was reliant on the player buying a $6.99/$7.99 novel plus a comic book on top of it and if you didn't, well too bad. Of course, after or before buying the $49.99/$59.99 game.

This is a bad practice.

It hurts the integrity of the story itself, not to mention feels shallow and cheap way of trying to get more money by telling players that they need to pay more after everything they've already spent just to understand the plot of the game they're playing. It also makes the story worse and full of holes, worse it cheapens the character of Vega and handicaps him right out of the gate. To those who didn't read the book he feels out of place (as he did for me) and strange for Shepherd to accept him so quickly when we, the audience, have never seen him before. Worse, because they feel he's already been explained, they may never explain it in the game proper! Like that comment in the beginning of Mass Effect 2 about Cerberus, the Quarians, and blowing up the flotilla. Never gets explained because they'll assumed then that the people who bought the game that they were such fans that they'd buy the books. For the record, I've tried to read them but anything penned by Drew Karpyshyn is terrible without the assisstance of voice actors and cinematics.

I think the number of people who are rejecting James Vega outright on the basis of not knowing who he is or why he knows Shepherd speaks for itself on that subject though. Unfortunately unless you are a die hard fan (and that's a bad definition of a fan, saying it's in such and such book is not enough of an answer.

endtherapture:
I really enjoyed the demo. More tactical than ME2, more intense than ME1, it was perhaps the perfect fusion between the two games. I was really pleasantly surprised.

It also left a really deep emotional impact on me I dunno I wanted to cry at one point in the game.

Oh come on, that's an emotional moment for you? The calculated, manipulative "heart-tugger?"

OP: I was not happy. Shepherd talks a lot, but I don't press many buttons to make him talk. He kind of just did his own thing. Not what I play Mass Effect for. And it really seems like my fears have been confirmed: that the scope has been reduced to just "Earth," with everything else as peripheral action advancing that one small plot.

I'm wondering why the darkest skin tone is barely tan (I'm guessing they're still smoothing out the stuff regarding that, since the faces look somewhat off, too). Also, some of the hair looks a little... big. Other than some slight weirdness regarding how the modeling/animation in the demo look, I honestly don't have any complaints. I especially like how they re-did the leveling.

I'm very satisfied with the demo. The combat is fast and gratifying, the art direction is much more well-rounded and reminiscent of the first game, and the rpg elements are deeper (though they could stand to be more so.)

Also the multiplayer is genuinely excellent. Pleasant surprise.

The one thing that irks me and has been irking me since ME2 is the writing and plotting. Bioware seems to be obsessed with the idea of "opening with a bang", even when it hurts the story to do so. What the hell has Shepard been doing since ME2? What about all that business in Arrival where he blew up a planet of Batarians? Isn't there going to be some closure for that? But no, we have to have a massive set piece in the first three minutes, so Shepard is brought into a room with five admirals, told that we've just lost contact with the entire galaxy, and thirty seconds later London is full of Reapers. It's badly paced and it bugs me. Plus Shepard is constantly shouting idiot-hero lines like "WE FIGHT OR WE DIE, THAT'S THE PLAN" that to my ears just sounds like so much "SPEHSS MAHREENS, WE KNOW OUR DUTY AND WE WILL DO IT."

That said, it speaks to the quality of the set piece that I quickly forgave the game for being so ridiculous. The final scene on Earth was pretty moving. And like ME2, I know most of the game will take place outside the central plot on side missions like protecting the female Krogan, and those are always interesting and better handled.

And damn, do I wish I could recruit Kirrahe to my squad.

Things I liked about the demo:

The Reaper designs, I love those insect-inspired ideas.
Wrex trying to be chivalrous and getting shut down.
Garrus and Wrex interacting.
The design of a lot of the levels, and the organic feeling of certain things. Also, dropping off of ledges.

Things I didn't like about the demo:

Incredibly glitchy AI, squadmates constantly standing on odd spots and in circles.
"A child dies and it's supposed to be sad".
Anderson, when he's walking in front of you, starts walking at the EXACT SAME TIME you start walking, and when you look down your feet are just doing the jogging animation IN SLOW MOTION.
The guns don't feel very powerful and sound too 'future-y', I fired that assault rifle in ME2 and it felt like a powerful ballistic rifle, not a pew pew gun.
The fact that the mech at the end was dumb as rocks and I could just run circles around it using melee on the hardest available difficulty.
Dialogue was sometimes really stilted and unnatural.
Animations were sub-par - I have seen some FUCKING AWESOME animation in recent games with a fraction of the budget that makes me wonder what the hell Bioware is doing. Action games with third person shooting, too.
Generally I'm really worried but I'm going to play it anyway.

PLAYING THE PS3 DEMO VERSION.

I thought that the single player story looked to be exactly the same as the first two games (Reapers arrive, Shepherd gets caught up in the fight, no-one believes the Reaper threat and so massacres occur, then Shepherd flies the Normandy in to save the day). This may get a little tedious, I don't know - maybe the individual missions are more varied and exciting.

The little boy who dies clearly hints that they're going for all-out emotional warfare against the audience here. I wouldn't be surprised if several long-time crew members bite the dust during the course of ME3.

The action in the demo mission was possibly an improved version of the frantic cover, run, ability, gun play of ME2, and I am really looking forward to getting my old team back together with new and shiny equipment and abilities and blasting the hell out of the Reaper scum!

The options before play to alter emphasis between action, story and RPG elements (where each offers either more or less combat/dialogue/levelling/equipment etc.) seems like it will serve to appease to a much greater set of players, and a lot of the criticisms I found in people's reviews of ME1 and ME2 were that there was too much dialogue/combat/ability-trees. Hopefully, this will meant that average review scores go up - if they got the balance right, that is.

Multiplayer looks very interesting - not dissimilar to Call of Duty where experience means better equipment and customisation options. I particularly liked that the match could play on even if the other players drop out - going so far as to allow you to try missions and earn XP as a single player match. Whether it will have the lasting appeal of COD remains to be seen.

Overall, I am pretty darn excited about the whole thing - and hate that I have to wait until the 9th of March (UK) to get my hands on a copy!

The sprint button, context sensitive action button and cover button need to be different.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked