Games you consider overrated

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Primarily every big time Rockstar game since San Andreas. GTA IV's story falls apart to an absolutely laughable degree after the first island and had absolutely no sense of playfulness after San Andreas' over the topness. Red Dead did some good cowboy stuff, but the whole Mexico section was torture to me, I hated the 15 minute horse rides through nothing, I hated the part at the end where you had to be a rancher, and I hated that killing your horse was a crime (this is my biggest complaint). LA Noire did some good stuff, like it's neat when the crime branches differently, and the face captures are great, but Cole is the worst, the overarching story is weak, and if you mess up cases in certain ways, the story doesn't know how to react, so Cole literally pulls clues out of the ether that directly contradict questions he just asked and then criminals do super illogical things just in a supremely transparent way to keep the case going, which is bar none the most disengaging moment I've ever experienced in my time gaming. If you have the Naked City DLC, purposely fail every question with the fiance guy near the end and marvel at how little sense the case and the game as a whole suddenly make.

Also Beyond Good and Evil (it's good, but not THAT good), Bioshock (certain legitimately fantastic elements holding up an otherwise lackluster grind), Uncharted (characterized, adventure-filled cover-based shooter is still cover-based shooter), and pretty much every shooter out today

Arkham City and Asylum. They're pretty fun, but they're hardly the second coming of Christ.

Skyrim.

It was good, but sweet Jesus, the soiled-panted fanboys are so OTT. The amount of abuse you endure when you don't soil yourself at the thought of it. "BUT YOU PLAYED IT, HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE IT". Any attempts at reasoning with said people, and how they exaggerate your feelings.
Me: "I'll give it an 8/10"
Them: "Why do you hate it so much?! Justify your loathing!!!!!!!"

For me, it's as if Kung Fu Panda won ALL the Oscars, people were naming their children "Dragon Warrior", jokes about "I used to be the Chosen one, then I took a turtle to the pressure point", people going "IT IS THE GREATEST THING EVER CREATED". It's not. It's just not.

"It shouldn't have won ALL the Oscars" is met with rage. "How can you not say it deserved ALL THE OSCARS?!"

It's crazy. Skyrim is a big, pretty, empty, world you can hack and slash at things in for hours. It's single player WoW. The AI is terrible (try running across a body of water). The human interactions are atrocious, and they only really exist to hand out quests. The story is average, and all talk of "you make your own story" doesn't work. It's NOT as many claim, a blank canvas. Every interaction with every person in Skyrim BREAKS the immersion and interferes with any attempts to "create your own story" and at the end of the day, you're playing an NPC. At the end of the day, except the people you personally kill (some of whom you can't), everyone remains unimpacted.

Again, it's fun, but GOTY? In a year with Portal 2, ME2, Shogun 2, Brotherhood, Witcher 2, Limbo, Bastion, Catherine, Deus Ex:HR, Dark Souls, Arkham City, LA Noire, SW:TOR.

I'm not saying all those would be GOTY, but Skyrim struggles to get in to the top 5 in that list, and it pushed out much much better games for GOTY despite being deeply flawed. There is no argument you can make for Skyrim that you can't make for playing WoW, by yourself.

Dramatically, unreasonably, mass-hysterical levels of hype. Most overrated game: Skyrim.

Call of Duty after World at War
But I'm pretty sure everyone on the website knows that it's overrated in the mainstream.

Launcelot111:
Primarily every big time Rockstar game since San Andreas. GTA IV's story falls apart to an absolutely laughable degree after the first island and had absolutely no sense of playfulness after San Andreas' over the topness. Red Dead did some good cowboy stuff, but the whole Mexico section was torture to me, I hated the 15 minute horse rides through nothing, I hated the part at the end where you had to be a rancher, and I hated that killing your horse was a crime (this is my biggest complaint). LA Noire did some good stuff, like it's neat when the crime branches differently, and the face captures are great, but Cole is the worst, the overarching story is weak, and if you mess up cases in certain ways, the story doesn't know how to react, so Cole literally pulls clues out of the ether that directly contradict questions he just asked and then criminals do super illogical things just in a supremely transparent way to keep the case going, which is bar none the most disengaging moment I've ever experienced in my time gaming. If you have the Naked City DLC, purposely fail every question with the fiance guy near the end and marvel at how little sense the case and the game as a whole suddenly make.

Also Beyond Good and Evil (it's good, but not THAT good), Bioshock (certain legitimately fantastic elements holding up an otherwise lackluster grind), Uncharted (characterized, adventure-filled cover-based shooter is still cover-based shooter), and pretty much every shooter out today

Uncharted is even more painfull for the people who played Legacy Of Kain. From ambitious original vampire epic to Indiana Jones rip off.

I would say the Call of Duty series as it's existed since Modern Warfare -- I mean I had fun with MW2 but I really can't understand why anyone would want to wait in line overnight for the latest version.

I can understand why it's the best selling game each time though -- power of advertising and name recognition can do wonders.

Call of Duty (every game since Modern Warfare)
Halo (every game since the first one)
Final Fantasy (all of them)
Uncharted (all of them)
Gears of War (all of them)

I think I'm forgetting something..... oh I know:

World of Warcraft

Halo. After the first game it really didn't go anywhere for ten years.

Gears of War. Cover mechanic! Huzzah!! What else you got? Oh look, dudes in armor acting all grim and depressed while fighting space aliens with chainsaw guns, that won't bet bipolar anytime soon.

Uncharted. I don't care how much like Indiana Jones the games want to be, if I could I would punch Nathan Drake in the face until he resembled Mike Tyson after going two rounds with Atom from Real Steel! Dialogue and everything is great but why should I be rooting for Nathan Drake?

Call of Duty Modern Warfare's 2, 3 and Black Ops: It's Call of Duty 4 with different maps and progressively worse writing! Stop the madness!

Oblivion: Note that this is the console version. I hated the level scaling so everything got tougher with you, as opposed to actually feeling like you are progressing in strength. Also, instant fast-travel from the start in an Elder Scrolls game to a guy who never played one before really short-changes the whole "EPIC MASSIVELY HUGE WORLD OF AWESOME!!" thing the series is known for.

Torchlight: Yes it's nice if you're a fan of Diablo but grinding and getting better gear progressively for its own sake feels very insubstantial to me.

Super Mario Bros: TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....

Paya Chin:
modern games: too many to list due to paid PROFESSIONAL REVIEWERS and the millions they spend on advertising.

The key word there being "payed," as in payed off.

Baalthazaq:
Skyrim.

QFT: Its weird, bethesda's games seem to get away with things that any other game would be strung up for :/ Peoples excuse is always "lol its big lol".

The game was released unfinished, and people seemed to forgive it oddities.

And the amount of filler in the massive world is just silly. Miles of empty land with nothing in it.

And the combat is weak :/

yogibbear:

I think I'm forgetting something..... oh I know:

World of Warcraft

For a game that came out 10 years ago, I'm going to cut it a lot of slack. Besides I don't think the hype still surrounds it. The hype 10 years ago was (mostly) deserved, and the hype now is very limited. Is anyone really raving about WoW like they do for any of the titles on your list?

AC10:
For me it's final fantasy 7. Very likely due to the fact I attempted to play it 9 years after release.

Similar to me, but I didn't think that because it was old. I liked it, but I felt it overrated because I played FFVI First and felt that had better writing and more memorable music. Though the overworld theme is still a favourite of mine.

My proper answer would have to be Fallout 3. I did enjoy it when I first played it, but too much curiosity and much research on the Fallout wiki regarding Lore made me rethink it, and felt that while it wasn't as bleak as Fo3, New Vegas captured the Fallout Ideals more than 3 did.

In all, Playing New Vegas made me think that 3 was overrated, and the fact that New Vegas was actually not as buggy as people made it out to be for me for most of my First playthrough, but of course that varied from PC to PC that I played it on...

Limbo.

It was... OK. Not great. I don't see why it was the "BEST INDIE GAME OF 2010". The aesthetic got a bit annoying, the puzzles weren't hard, the OMGWTFBBQ moments were a bit too far between... It was still worth playing, but it wasn't incredible.

I'm not going to put a game down here that I think is over-rated, because it's none of my business what other people think of a game. What I will ask however is why it matters?

Comments like "I'm not sure why Halo is rated so highly in it's fandom" are just moot. It's because they are fans of the game, they enjoy that particular game/art style or the story. Much the same with Bioshock, Mass Effect or indeed any other highly rated game.

I dare say that the reason they are highly rated is because the majority likes them. Sure you may not like them, it might not appeal to you. At the end of the day it's pointless, because you are not going to like it no matter what anyone else says.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets made again in 2-3 weeks.

Definitely skyrim. People who say they can't stop playing and its loads of fun. The combat is shallow, every quest is samey and the dragon fights are the only interesting ones because they don't die in 1-2 hits.

DioWallachia:

daveman247:

Zydrate:

Don't see why. It's like everything else.

Want perfect multiplayer? Go play Starcraft.

RTS =/= first person shooter. Not comparable :P

Unless that RTS is Dungeon Keeper who also mixes FPS by possessing your units to do even more evil fun stuff. However, thanks that NOBODY remembers this game i may never know if it is the best example ever and if not at least what could be done to improve it

Well lets hope this game opens up peoples eyes to the genre: Gettysburg: Armored Warfare
http://angryjoeshow.com/2012/01/aj-preview-gettysburg/
I would love more RTS/FPS games :(

OT: I think Portal is overrated never really liked it.

Skyrim has to win.
Great great game, lame linear story.

To me the Uncharted games are overrated. I've tried playing each one and I just cannot get into them. I don't know what it is specifically other than I find Nathan Drake fucking insufferable. My brother loves the games. Me, can't stand them.

Team Fortress 2 is another one. I think this one's here because A. It took me forever to get around to playing it, and B. I am FUCKING terrible at it, but even when I have a good game I don't see what's so wonderful about it. Everyone holds it up as the holy grail of multiplayer shooters but I never had any fun with it.

Final Fantasy VII.
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

The two most overrated games of all time. Sure I didn't like Bioshock, but I can see that it had its merits, it's just not my kind of game.

I'll never understand what makes Mass Effect or Final Fantasy the rambunctious successes that they are. The games that have always come from those series have always felt half-finished and filled with grossly dull or unlikeable characters. Mass Effect's combat felt slow and worn out, and with it's slow and monotone dialogue, coupled with the robotic cinematic animations, I couldn't enjoy anything the game threw at me. The recent installments of Final Fantasy are just too camp and cluttered with clicheic anime scenarios to take seriously..

Maybe I just don't enjoy RPGs like I used to, but those two particular series have just been so abysmal.. D'oh well.

Yikes. These threads need to go away.

But while I'm here, I'll say the Saints Row games. I prefer the sort of noir-ish/Goodfellas style that Grand Theft Auto provides. There's apparently no word for "pacing" in the Saints Row universe, as opposed to pacing pretty much being the only thing GTA4 understands. I recently bought the game used, and damn. I'm playing through the game now, and thank God that I was in the mood for a slow paced game, or else I think I would have set it down a while back.

Sure, I have fun doing the ridiculous shit that Saints Row tries to set out to do, but in the end, when you pretty much start out as a fucking superhero, once you've played a bit of it, you've pretty played the game. It doesn't really go anywhere but down.

And really, when a game relies on humor for the most of the story, it needs to keep that shit locked down. I chuckled maybe once or twice throughout the few hours I played it. What am I suppose to do when I don't find any of the shit they say funny? I literally do not give a shit about the characters otherwise.

Deus Ex HR, I couldn't see the appeal. The bad controls, the boring cut scenes, monotone speech.

I really wanted to like it, it had alot of thing I generally like in games which is a shame.

Overrated comparisons I find become churlish and contrarian as it can very easily becomes about gauging all positive criticism you can have for a game and then trying to find the worst in it.

I can say however that there have been some very popular and successful games that I personally did not care for though it could just be me. Well, almost just me, I played Final Fantasy X and I seem to be right in line with Spoony One on what I couldn't stand about that game. I really do wonder what their fans find as the actual appeal of these games... is it the fashion? Do the same people who buy Final Fantasy also love daytime TV soap-operas?

We're doing this again?

But seriously, Star Wars: Battlefront 2.
The game played like arse, like a bad Battlefield 2, it's only selling point was the fact
that it had Star Wars stuff in it which only served to highlight the horrible gameplay
that did the source material absolutely no justice.

Don Savik:

xSKULLY:
all retro games the escapist community makes them out to be amazing and better than todays games and perfect in every way and they are shit as a younger gamer used to higher standard games (my first console was a PS2) retro games are terrible and many times worse than games of today

Yea, I think its called like The Golden Age Syndrome or something.

Care to explain how I think the older Fallouts are better that Fallout 3 despite playing Fallout 3 FIRST?
Care to explain how I think System shock 2 is better than Bioshock despite playing Bioshock FIRST?
Care to explain how I think Daggerfall is better than Skyrim despite playing Skyrim FIRST?
Care to explain how I think Planescape Torment has better writing then all the Bioware drivel despite playing the Bioware drivel FIRST?

You can keep yourself in denial with the whole "rose tinted nostalgic glasses" thing as much you like, but there is no denying that games are getting shorter and shallower.

PS: Try not to use the "well that's just your opinion" argument, nor the "many people don't agree with you".

Definitely Skyrim. By no means a bad game.

Also Dragon Age: Origins. By God I hate that game.

daveman247:

EDIT: Oh, and minecraft. Its cool you can build stuff but i just dont like playing aimless games... What do you do once you have finished your safe fortress of doom?

That's how to tell if you're the type of person who can play Minecraft: if you feel like you've 'finished' something, it's not for you. =D

OT:

Half-Life 2. Sorry, I just found it boring. I ended up turning it off half-way through playing Episode 2. Maybe I have to play the original Half-Life to really get into the game, but I just didn't care about what was happening - the only time I really enjoyed myself was when I had to rely solely on the Gravity Gun.

Shadow of the Fucking Colossus. Oh the story, the strategy required during combat, the style, the innovation, it's perfect.

Strategy amounted to flicking arrows at the damn thing till it got annoyed enough to pay attention to you then fighting the camera and controls to find the one exact way to get to the big glowing weak spot and poking it till the colossus threw you off and then starting over again.

On top of that a grey and brown world that people bitch about when it CoD or BF but here it "fits the artistic mood". What part of this game is innovative anyway? Cause it's not the combat, the story, or the world.

But I bring up any of these points with someone and they say "you just don't get it". I get that it was a mediocre game with a save the princess plot, a brown and grey world, horrible camera and combat controls, and a total of what maybe twenty characters most of which were giant rock monster with no personality or real identity.

Also FFXIII screw you GameInformer. You gave a 80 hour long interactive movie which you could beat by setting it on auto and taking a nap, a positive recommendation? I've never been burned so badly in my life.

My overrated list:

Bioshock (nice visuals and story, but the gameplay itself is so off that I can't stand to play it, even though I actally wanted to like it.)
Mass Effect (Again, I should theoretically like it, but I have tried to finish part 1 three times now, and always hit a spot where I went suddenly "meh" and couldn't bring myself to start it up...)
Fallout 3 (The setting sucks, the story sucks, the characters suck, animations suck, gunplay and most other gameplay mechanics suck... But again, when I started it up for the first time, I really wanted to like it.)
Call of Duty

All of the Zelda games, can't say that you don't like them and think they are overhyped 90% of the time without someone getting offended.

Same goes for Final Fantasy, many props to CoD and Battlefield, just to name a few

Pretty much any game that people rate as 10/10 or as close as. I've never played a game that I would consider anywhere near the "perfect game"

Zelda and Mario. The first ones were bearable when they were new. The newer ones are boring and I would get the exact same experience going with the originals. Zelda is a bit better in that regard but still not original.

Oblivion wins this contest easily.
Both overrated by professional reviewers at the time of release and overrated by gamers in user reviews.

The damning thing here is that ever since Skyrim is out, everyone is saying how bad Oblivion was and all suddenly able to point out all the bad features: level scaling, poor combat, worst voice-acting, wooden animation, etc.
This is a game that got perfect scores. I reckon roleplayers just get blinded by the fancy scenery. The graphics eventually get outdated, even for lowly RPG-standards, then replaced by something prettier and the blind love is over.

I agree with Jim Sterling, in that I don't like the term overrated. It's knocking a game because other people had higher opinions of it than you do.

There's a lot of overrated games, but the two most relevant right now would be every Mass Effect game and Skyrim. I wasn't exactly taken with Mass Effect and plainly disliked Mass Effect 2, the writing is aggressively juvenile and bland, most of the mechanics are just bad (especially the dialog wheel and renegade/paragon system), the combat is below average (and boring) cover based shooting, there's issues with connectivity, the UI is a mess in Mass Effect 2 and the combat environments are too linear making navigating them feel sticky. Overall the Mass Effect series just isn't that good.

On the other hand, I don't feel like Skyrim needs any explanation. I guess it could be summed as as shallow and less than cohesive.

Well I haven't
-seen
-this thread
-before

I wouldn't mention it if the thread itself wasn't such obvious flame bait.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked