Someone actually thinks "Portal" is a bad game!?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Take a moment to get over the shock of someone being that dense before you continue reading please.

Anyway, I found this video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkV-P0oam08&lc=IwaPu66oGI41C9DGIicZXfdaHw56xBInEmhcrkAvJas&feature=inbox
I saw a clear error in the poster's judgement of "best game" by limiting himself to RTS games. I corrected him on this and pointed out some games that should have been there (obviously "Portal" was among them). Then some user going by XboxLikeWater said that "Portal" was mediocre. I promptly corrected him and said that his entire game library combined isn't as good as "Portal". I took the opportunity to check his channel, and found that he believes "Battlefield 3" is the best video game ever. Yeah...sure...

O NOEZ, HOW COULD SOMEBODY NOT LIKE PORTAL!!1!!1111!!! IT IZ BES GAME EVAR FOLS WHO DONT LIEK PORTAL R STUPED...oh wait I don't like portal, I find it to be mediocre at best. Get over it. Sorry that you feel so insecure about someone not drooling over a game you like.

while it is a good bit of fun, i wouldn't ever put it in my top ten, or even top 20 games ever.

-it's too short
-i've seen flash games with about just as much strength as portal has going for it (puzzles/game mechanics)
-not much depth to it, which isn't a flaw, just saying it wouldn't ever reach my top 10-20 with the depth it has.

overall i'd say it's alot of fun, but never a "great" game.

So you found a person who doesn't like a game as much as you like it?

On the bloody internet, no less.

Holy shit guys! I think we've got a real situation here!

Did you link to the wrong video? I didn't see anything limited to RTS - Heroes 3, Diablo 2, Day of Defeat (admittedly, I haven't played the Source version but I don't think it's RTS), Fallout 2, Ultima Online aren't for sure. I' not quite sure about the others - the Zelda one (I don't think so), Ultimate Soccer Manager (I don't think so, either), Panzer General (may be one, I don't know), Jagged Alliance 2 (I don't know) and whatever that was after Zelda (didn't seem so).

gmaverick019:
while it is a good bit of fun, i wouldn't ever put it in my top ten, or even top 20 games ever.

-it's too short
-i've seen flash games with about just as much strength as portal has going for it (puzzles/game mechanics)
-not much depth to it, which isn't a flaw, just saying it wouldn't ever reach my top 10-20 with the depth it has.

overall i'd say it's alot of fun, but never a "great" game.

I agree with this post.

The one thing that Portal had going for it was the dialogue. But if we're judging games based on dialogue, I think everything by Nippon Ichi beats out Portal.

Hey OP, you wanna see who's wrong in this situation? Look in a mirror.

GOD FORBID someone disagree with your opinion. /sarcasm

Maybe somebody just likes Battlefield 3 more than Portal. We all have a sense of taste, and just because his taste in games is different than yours, doesn't really give a lot of reasoning to mock him.

I don't like Portal personally, but I'm cool with the fact that you do.

Portal is a bad game. Half way decent to play through one time (but relatively boring throughout) and it has zero replay value (unless you are like that guy from Memento). The main character is a floating camera like Gordon "Floating Mop" Freeman.

Dull as dishwater, completely forgettable.

I don't like Portal. I think it's extremely boring (as are all puzzle games) and it's story is along the lines of "meh". Not to mention the almost zero replay value.

Am I evil now?

I think portal and portal 2 where amazingly good fun but they where only good for one play through, not by any stretch of the imagination a contender for game of the year in my opinion but hey that's just my opinion.

Point is, everyone opinion about stuff is different, move on.

What a person finds fun is completely subjective, for example millions of people line up to buy Call of duty games every year but I cant stand them. That doesnt make me or them wrong, it just means we have a different opinion

Likewise, someone doesnt like portal while lots of people do. So what? I think Yahtzee said it best "Its worth remembering that all reviews are personal subjective opinion and if you personally enjoy the game they really shouldn't get to you. Unless there's a nibbling doubt in the back of your mind that you're not having as much fun as you convinced yourself you're having."

The thing to take away from this is: Play what you want, enjoy what you enjoy, and let others play what they want and enjoy what they enjoy. Everyone wins

Op, this thread is going to be brutal for you.

Portal isn't that great, once you get your head round how it works it is nothing special. I know people go crazy for the box, the cake, the turrets and the killer robot but it's nothing special.

There are plenty of games that are better than portal. Along with others I wouldn't even put it in my top 10.

It's not they we are all COD fanboys, it's the fact it's a puzzle game with a little personality. There are just a lot better games out there.

Well if someone doesn't like puzzles (and someone who'd call a generic FPS "best game evar" probably doesn't) they're not going to like Portal, no matter how awesome "Still Alive" and GLADoS are.

Skin:
I don't like Portal. I think it's extremely boring (as are all puzzle games) and it's story is along the lines of "meh". Not to mention the almost zero replay value.

Am I evil now?

Yes, you are evil, because you confused "its" and "it's." D:<

There are lots of people who simply don't like puzzle games...

Someone doesn't share your opinions. How can that be possible?

Call Kiefer Sutherland and tell the culprit he has 24 hours to think the opposite.

I don't like Portal either. I think it's insanely boring and not worth my time. Not to mention it's created one of the most annoying ass memes ever that people still seem to think is funny to this day.

Portal was a solid game but it was too short and it, along with Portal 2, was way too easy which stopped it being a truly great game in my opinion.

I bought the Orange Box back in 2007 for Portal. After playing through it once, I moved on to Team Fortress 2. I haven't looked back ever since.

Don't get me wrong, Portal has its moments. However, I disliked how the first half of the game is essentially one big tutorial. It wasn't until you neared the end that things started to become really interesting and creative regarding gameplay mechanics.

Truth be told, I got bored with Portal. I played it for a bit, then put it down and didn't come back to it. I appreciate it's artistic merits etc. but it's not one of the greatest games ever or anything. It's rather short, from what I hear, and takes far too long to get into the meaty bit of the story and GlaDOS being properly interesting.

So someone disagrees with your opinion? On the internet?

Seriously, stop the presses!

I thought Portal 2 was a much better game, but Portal 1 still has a special place in my heart. Am I shocked that someone dislikes it? Nope.

I love how all the portal haters came out of the woodwork to flame this guy lol

Forlong:
Take a moment to get over the shock of someone being that dense before you continue reading please.

Anyway, I found this video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkV-P0oam08&lc=IwaPu66oGI41C9DGIicZXfdaHw56xBInEmhcrkAvJas&feature=inbox
I saw a clear error in the poster's judgement of "best game" by limiting himself to RTS games. I corrected him on this and pointed out some games that should have been there (obviously "Portal" was among them). Then some user going by XboxLikeWater said that "Portal" was mediocre. I promptly corrected him and said that his entire game library combined isn't as good as "Portal". I took the opportunity to check his channel, and found that he believes "Battlefield 3" is the best video game ever. Yeah...sure...

Do you know what an "opinion" is? Reading up on it is crucial in understanding the internet and the world in general.

One can say that Portal was mediocre, its story was standard Valve-fare with LOL-SO-QUIRKY characters (seriously, all of their characters are the fucking same) with the bland silent protagonist and quirky villain. The puzzles were nothing to write home about and its replay-value is almost zero.

If you really think that you can dictate other people on what the "best" game is, then you need to take your head out of your ass and get some perspective.

I enjoyed both games. But the first game is short and easy. I can see how some people might feel unsatisfied after paying good money for it. Not everyone finds stuff like the cute turrets entertaining.

Nao gais, don't all gang up on the OP just because he doesn't like someone else's opin...

Fuckin' hell.

Although yes, I think the OP dun goofed.

Did I tell you about the time that opinions and tastes in video games are subjective?

I like Battlefield 3 more then Call Of Duty MW3 so what's your point?

Zhukov:
So you found a person who doesn't like a game as much as you like it?

On the bloody internet, no less.

Holy shit guys! I think we've got a real situation here!

hehe, how true

but if he thinks battlefield 3' is the best game, out of the thousands out there, I'm thinking he's setting the bar a little to .... low. i've played hundreds of games and I'm not sure how I'd put together a top 10 let a long pick a favorite x.x

Adultism:
I love how all the portal haters came out of the woodwork to flame this guy lol

I love portal and I'd still flame the guy. Who's more at fault here, the random youtuber who admits to not liking a game, or the person who is trying to start a witch hunt on these forums by assuming we would all crucify the dude for not agreeing with popular opinion.

effing hell, portal was just a first person puzzle game with very good writing. it wasn't the second coming of christ. unless cake = christ. the cake is a lie =\

I liked portal; but there's really not that much to the game, and it has very little replay value other than those special challenges.

Portal is a bad game. I mean, it doesn't even have guns!

wurrble182:
effing hell, portal was just a first person puzzle game with very good writing. it wasn't the second coming of christ. unless cake = christ. the cake is a lie =\

So Christ = lie? I like that logic.

I don't think it's bad but it has absolutely no replay value (to me) so they're never more than a quick, forgettable weekend rental to me.

I thought both Portal games were really fun. But I do agree that it doesn't have too much replay value. Considering once you go through a puzzle once you'll know what to do the next time you play it. Unless you replay the game months or even years later when your memory of those puzzles fade.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked