Someone actually thinks "Portal" is a bad game!?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Best thread ive ever read.

Get over it bro. Portal is a terrible game. The achievments are a cow to get too.

You must be new to this "opinion" thing.
Here's what you need to do:

1. Get gun
2. Commit Seppuku with gun
3. ???
4. Profit

Wow, OP, you sure are showing faggot tendencies, let's take a look at the signs, shall we?
Believing that the world wants to know about his/her life and everything in it-check
Trying to shove opinions down someone's throat-check
Discounting someone else's opinions and personal preferences because they don't agree with them-check check
Making something little sound huge-check

No wonder my fag-o-meter was going off the charts...

Raika:

ScoopMeister:

Raika:
Let me guess, next you're going to throw a big fit because someone doesn't like My Little Pony.

:O Someone doesn't like MLP?!?! WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?!?!

In all seriousness, I think that show is okay; it's only the obnoxious fan base that bothers me. The self-proclaimed 'bronies' strike me as akin to Mega Man fanatics in that they feel the need to integrate their juvenile obsession into every aspect of their lives and force it on everybody they meet. I didn't need to pop open the front page of Destructoid to see that someone had replaced the dragons in Skyrim with one of those obnoxious Technicolor horses, and neither did anybody else.

I think I speak for myself when I say that, as a self-proclaimed Brony, I'm just gunna love and tolerate the crap out of you, despite your harsh words :P

Forlong:
Take a moment to get over the shock of someone being that dense before you continue reading please.

Anyway, I found this video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkV-P0oam08&lc=IwaPu66oGI41C9DGIicZXfdaHw56xBInEmhcrkAvJas&feature=inbox
I saw a clear error in the poster's judgement of "best game" by limiting himself to RTS games. I corrected him on this and pointed out some games that should have been there (obviously "Portal" was among them). Then some user going by XboxLikeWater said that "Portal" was mediocre. I promptly corrected him and said that his entire game library combined isn't as good as "Portal". I took the opportunity to check his channel, and found that he believes "Battlefield 3" is the best video game ever. Yeah...sure...

Gosh you're objectionable...
I'm glad you saw fit to "correct" this fool over his favourite games. Now hopefully he'll set his opinions straight and have a fulfilling life.

erttheking:
O NOEZ, HOW COULD SOMEBODY NOT LIKE PORTAL!!1!!1111!!! IT IZ BES GAME EVAR FOLS WHO DONT LIEK PORTAL R STUPED...oh wait I don't like portal, I find it to be mediocre at best. Get over it. Sorry that you feel so insecure about someone not drooling over a game you like.

Is that a Halo avatar i see near your name?
Yeah, i can't take your opinion as something that you actually criticized, because any game thats ten steps away from your beloved FPS game series just isn't good.
You sound like ALL halo fans.

As for me, I think portal is a good game.

Forlong:
Take a moment to get over the shock of someone being that dense before you continue reading please.

BWUUH?! Someone has an opinion that's different from yours? There must be some explanation! Surely he is incorrect!

I saw a clear error in the poster's judgement of "best game" by limiting himself to RTS games.

Since when were Diablo 2, Link to the Past, Runescape, Day of Defeat Source, Ultimate Soccer Manager '98, Fallout 2, and Ultima Online RTSes?

I corrected him on this and pointed out some games that should have been there (obviously "Portal" was among them).

I want you to read that out loud to yourself. You "corrected" him. You tried to "correct" his opinion.

Then some user going by XboxLikeWater said that "Portal" was mediocre. I promptly corrected him and said that his entire game library combined isn't as good as "Portal".

And there it is again.

Grow up.

As if it's the opposite of Sonic 2006, "Everybody likes Portal. If you don't, you're wrong. It's like saying you didn't enjoy listening to someone singing perfectly in tune, or reading an absolutely clean book. I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG."

LOL. But seriously, these primarily-RTS gamers do have quite a different opinion on favorite games.

Forlong:

Anyway, I found this video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkV-P0oam08&lc=IwaPu66oGI41C9DGIicZXfdaHw56xBInEmhcrkAvJas&feature=inbox
I saw a clear error in the poster's judgement of "best game" by limiting himself to RTS games. I corrected him on this and pointed out some games that should have been there (obviously "Portal" was among them). Then some user going by XboxLikeWater said that "Portal" was mediocre. I promptly corrected him and said that his entire game library combined isn't as good as "Portal". I took the opportunity to check his channel, and found that he believes "Battlefield 3" is the best video game ever. Yeah...sure...

Let me get this straight.

You saw someones personal selection of their favourites (regardless of the title of the video), attempted to make a 'correction', someone disagreed with you, you 'corrected' them, and because the other person in question believes that Battlefield 3 is the best video game ever, their opinion is invalid.

Wow. This entire response is an exercise in futility.

Do you seriously believe that there exists a list of top 10 games somewhere on the internet that is irrefutable and considers ALL games of ALL generations and assigns them a suitable rank? I assure you, even if such a list existed and was universally accepted by gamers, Portal would not make the top 10. Why? Because I can think of more deserving games off the top of my head.

1. Super Mario Bros
2. Half-Life 2
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Tetris
5. X-COM
6. Doom
7. Thief
8. Descent
9. The Secret of Monkey Island
10. Starcraft

And you'll probably find a fault with that list too. Get my point? Things are subjective?

Welcome to the "People who hate popular things so they look cool thread" if you are reading this you have been here for far to long and have received brain damage.

l3o2828:

erttheking:
O NOEZ, HOW COULD SOMEBODY NOT LIKE PORTAL!!1!!1111!!! IT IZ BES GAME EVAR FOLS WHO DONT LIEK PORTAL R STUPED...oh wait I don't like portal, I find it to be mediocre at best. Get over it. Sorry that you feel so insecure about someone not drooling over a game you like.

Yeah, i can't take your opinion as something that you actually criticized, because any game thats ten steps away from your beloved FPS game series just isn't good.

So because I like Halo I can't like anything else, and you said that even though I was mainly mocking the guy who was trying to start a man hunt because one guy didn't like Portal....

I don't like Portal, this should not bother you unless you're insecure and you're trying to convince yourself that portal is good.

Wow...it was quite funny reading the Youtube comments and watching the OP get chewed out and spat out like some really shit gum.

By the way, you're wrong.

Also: If you really can't tell the difference between an RTS and a TBS...you're an idiot.

I played Portal on a friends computer and didn't like it, it's a well designed game, but you can't claim that it's a masterpiece and everyone must like it. Some people likes puzzles and some don't.

Well... even if some don't like it, i love it. I loved the puzzles, the story and challenges, and i love the fatc I COULD DOWNLOAD MORE MAPS MADE FROM THE COMMUNITY. SO EVEN IF YOU SAY THE GAME IS NOT WORTH IT'S PRICE, I WILL EVER SAY THE GAME IS WORTH IT'S VALUE!!!

Some decide to only see things at to a certain point... i like to see beyond that point, the possibilities of a game. That's why i'm glad Portal had a sequel!! Portal 2 was good, became huge (thanks to the community), and the best part is: Theres a whole community backing it up with new maps, mechanics and modes constantly!!

Portal was a fun game while it lasted and it was 10 I don't regret spending, but there is little to no replay value to it whatsoever.

Treeinthewoods:
Portal is a bad game. Half way decent to play through one time (but relatively boring throughout) and it has zero replay value (unless you are like that guy from Memento). The main character is a floating camera like Gordon "Floating Mop" Freeman.

Dull as dishwater, completely forgettable.

Godron is not a floating mop. He's a walking camera tripod.

Holy crap, someone on the Internet has an opinion that differs from yours? Say it ain't so!

Well basically a lot of people liked Portal, and it became very popular, so naturally it then became cool to hate on Portal because of hipsters.

There's your answer.

Varitel:
Some people just don't like it. They are entitled to their opinion [sarcasm] even if their opinion is wrong [/sarcasm]. I would probably put Portal somewhere in my top games list just because it's rare that a game can pull off humor as effectively as Portal did. My only real gripe with it is that I thought it was a bit too easy.

Stormz:
I don't like Portal either. I think it's insanely boring and not worth my time. Not to mention it's created one of the most annoying ass memes ever that people still seem to think is funny to this day.

No one thinks it's funny anymore, and I like to believe that no one thought it was that funny then either, though I'm probably wrong.

SarcasmoPope:
Portal is a bad game. I mean, it doesn't even have guns!

Go to the console, type "sv_cheats 1" and "impulse 101". Firing a Half-Life 2 rocket launcher through a Portal into an unsuspecting turret is immeasurably fun.

There are people in my school that still think that it is the funniest thing ever, trust me, it isn't dead yet.

Vanilla_Druid:

wurrble182:
effing hell, portal was just a first person puzzle game with very good writing. it wasn't the second coming of christ. unless cake = christ. the cake is a lie =\

So Christ = lie? I like that logic.

It's such a good way to disprove God.

Christ is good, people like Christ. People also like Cake. Therefore Christ = Cake.

And we all know Cake is a lie, ergo Christ is a lie.

This logic is infallible.

It's the Internet! There's at least one person who has a different opinion about everything, in no way should you be offended because someone has a different OPINION to you on something.

HOW COULD SOMEONE NOT LIKE A GAME I LIKE?!?!

It's an above-average game, not the absolutely amazing spectacle that people think it is.

Let me know if I got this right.

1. You find someone who has a different opinion than you.
2. On Youtube, of all places.
3. You start arguing with him. On Youtube.
4. He does not immediately agree with you.
5. You take this bullshit here out of some desperate need to be right

If this was a troll, it was very well done. You got four pages worth of people to bite.

If this was serious, then I'm sorry sweetie, but people will have different opinions than you. Get over it.

I like Portal, but not enough to go through it twice nor to play the second game.

It's not bad, but I'd definitely call it lacking in a few areas.

Abandon4093:

Vanilla_Druid:

wurrble182:
effing hell, portal was just a first person puzzle game with very good writing. it wasn't the second coming of christ. unless cake = christ. the cake is a lie =\

So Christ = lie? I like that logic.

It's such a good way to disprove God.

Christ is good, people like Christ. People also like Cake. Therefore Christ = Cake.

And we all know Cake is a lie, ergo Christ is a lie.

This logic is infallible.

ALL MY HOPES AND DREAMS

DASHED

This logic is fun to break the world with. GameFAQs had a good one:

Pooh backwards is Hoop. Like hula hoops, right?... Hula was invented in Hawaii. Hawaii was once part of an Asian country. Japan is in Asia ... Japan was nuked ... Microwaves also nuke ... Microwave ... Micro! Micro means very small, like the chances I have of getting a date. Date ... A calendar often tells dates. Calendars also often have pictures. Mostly pictures of puppies. Puppies grow up to be dogs. Like hot dogs! The best hot dogs are found in New York. New York has the Yankees. The Yankees fought the Confederates. The Dukes of Hazard had a Confederate flag on their car. Hazard ... the word has a Z. Z's normally signify sleeping. Sleeping leads to dreams. In some dreams you're flying ... flying like a plane. The Wright Brothers flew the first plane. And they were brothers. Like the show Band of Brothers. That series was about a war. And about WWII! WWII had Nazis. And Hitler. Hitler spelled backwards is Reltih, which makes no sense. Sense, like SPIDER SENSE. Spider-Man used spider sense to fight the Green Goblin. Green, green was the color used by Sailor Jupiter in that one cartoon. Jupiter ... Jupiter has moons! Like Callisto. Callisto was also a gun in the game Perfect Dark. Dark ... Moon ... Jupiter? Winnie the Pooh is from the dark side of Jupiter's moon, Callisto!

Phlakes:

Forlong:

BWUUH?! Someone has an opinion that's different from yours? There must be some explanation! Surely he is incorrect!

Now, now, let's not jump to conclusions, the other party might just be stupid, who knows.

Phlakes:

I saw a clear error in the poster's judgement of "best game" by limiting himself to RTS games.

Since when were Diablo 2, Link to the Past, Runescape, Day of Defeat Source, Ultimate Soccer Manager '98, Fallout 2, and Ultima Online RTSes?

You forgot Heroes 3 - it's less of an RTS than even Diablo 2 is. Diablo is at least real-time.

Phlakes:

I corrected him on this and pointed out some games that should have been there (obviously "Portal" was among them).

I want you to read that out loud to yourself. You "corrected" him. You tried to "correct" his opinion.

Then some user going by XboxLikeWater said that "Portal" was mediocre. I promptly corrected him and said that his entire game library combined isn't as good as "Portal".

And there it is again.

Grow up.

The rest I'm fine with.

Seriously, can we vote on best comments in the thread? You get mine.

Tanakh:

gmaverick019:
-i've seen flash games with about just as much strength as portal has going for it (puzzles/game mechanics)

Can you link said games? Been itching for puzzles for a while and those sound good.

I think I have some - Time Fcuk, Shift (also 2, 3, and 4), The Company of Myself, as well as... Portal. Some of them even have a very good story - The Company of Myself is my favourite.

l3o2828:

erttheking:

So if I also like Halo, my opinion is void? Please Great One, tell me tales of the world beyond Halo, where I, so stupid and idiotic, inhabit.

Oh condescension, how I love you sometimes.....

Fuck portal. Played it for 10 minutes, got bored, spent 5 minutes falling at super speed, and uninstalled. Its novelty wore off fast for me. It is not he best game ever or even the best one made by Valve. I felt like a child with the easy puzzles they threw at me and that killed any interest past the novelty of a portal device. Which got old since i lack the ability to do with it what i would ACTUALLY do. Yes i know trapped underground but the novelty fell apart when i have nothing to do with it but test. Any joke to be had from trolling portal fanatics/haters is long dead.
And fuck Glados, the cake, space, and apperture. BLACK MESA ALL THE WAY BABY!

Hey OP, you can change your username and avatar in your profile settings. You're welcome.

It's a good game but theres zero replay value in a puzzle game. It's really not their fault, that kind of thing comes with the genre but I have never played portal 1 or 2 more than once.

Lawlhat:
Well basically a lot of people liked Portal, and it became very popular, so naturally it then became cool to hate on Portal because of hipsters.

There's your answer.

Or, and bear with me here as this may blow your mind, some people just don't really like Portal. I know right?! Weird!

You mean people actually have opinions? Oh no!

Someone doesn't like your favourite game? Pfft, who cares. It's not like it's my favourite game they're disliking.

I did laugh a little when he listed Runescape (not by name but, by screen shots) as one of the best games ever. But, yeah some people don't like Portal. Some people also don't like blowjobs, puppies and rainbows. The point is that there are far crazier things to dislike.

gmaverick019:
while it is a good bit of fun, i wouldn't ever put it in my top ten, or even top 20 games ever.

-it's too short
-i've seen flash games with about just as much strength as portal has going for it (puzzles/game mechanics)
-not much depth to it, which isn't a flaw, just saying it wouldn't ever reach my top 10-20 with the depth it has.

overall i'd say it's alot of fun, but never a "great" game.

Definitely agree with this post. While I enjoyed it, I finished it in under 3 hours, as such I classify it less as a game and more as a time killer similar to something like a flash game... some of which require much more strategy and skill than portal (pandemic 2 I am thinking of you here).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked