Someone actually thinks "Portal" is a bad game!?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Really man? Someone doesn't like a game that you do? Did you expect everyone on here to instantly jump up and say, "What the fuck!?" Different people like different games. Personally, I love Portal 1 and 2 but I can understand why someone wouldn't.

imanidiot42:

gmaverick019:
while it is a good bit of fun, i wouldn't ever put it in my top ten, or even top 20 games ever.

-it's too short
-i've seen flash games with about just as much strength as portal has going for it (puzzles/game mechanics)
-not much depth to it, which isn't a flaw, just saying it wouldn't ever reach my top 10-20 with the depth it has.

overall i'd say it's alot of fun, but never a "great" game.

Definitely agree with this post. While I enjoyed it, I finished it in under 3 hours, as such I classify it less as a game and more as a time killer similar to something like a flash game... some of which require much more strategy and skill than portal (pandemic 2 I am thinking of you here).

haha dang you've been here as long as I have and you chose to quote me in your third post?

i'm flattered.

Successful troll is successful, based off how many times you got people repeat the sarcastic lines of "SOMEONE DOESN'T AGREE WITH YOU ON THE INTERNET, OMG HAHA NEVER HAPPENED B4." This thread honestly shouldn't have gone on for more than a few posts.

Considering that there are so disgustingly many people who would impulsive hate on a popular game just to get attention or stand out, I never take anyone seriously when they claim to hate a game.

Haha, I don't chat in the forums much (obv), but this thread was too interesting not to leave my mark in lol.

Oh no, someone has an opinion different from yours. Stop the presses.

Seriously, Portal isn't bad, but it's vastly overrated, has nearly zero replay value, and the fanboys are absolutely horrendous. Try having a conversation with them about Portal and they'll slready spew out memes in the first 5 minutes.

Now, with that said...

lacktheknack:

Abandon4093:

Vanilla_Druid:

So Christ = lie? I like that logic.

It's such a good way to disprove God.

Christ is good, people like Christ. People also like Cake. Therefore Christ = Cake.

And we all know Cake is a lie, ergo Christ is a lie.

This logic is infallible.

ALL MY HOPES AND DREAMS

DASHED

This logic is fun to break the world with. GameFAQs had a good one:

Pooh backwards is Hoop. Like hula hoops, right?... Hula was invented in Hawaii. Hawaii was once part of an Asian country. Japan is in Asia ... Japan was nuked ... Microwaves also nuke ... Microwave ... Micro! Micro means very small, like the chances I have of getting a date. Date ... A calendar often tells dates. Calendars also often have pictures. Mostly pictures of puppies. Puppies grow up to be dogs. Like hot dogs! The best hot dogs are found in New York. New York has the Yankees. The Yankees fought the Confederates. The Dukes of Hazard had a Confederate flag on their car. Hazard ... the word has a Z. Z's normally signify sleeping. Sleeping leads to dreams. In some dreams you're flying ... flying like a plane. The Wright Brothers flew the first plane. And they were brothers. Like the show Band of Brothers. That series was about a war. And about WWII! WWII had Nazis. And Hitler. Hitler spelled backwards is Reltih, which makes no sense. Sense, like SPIDER SENSE. Spider-Man used spider sense to fight the Green Goblin. Green, green was the color used by Sailor Jupiter in that one cartoon. Jupiter ... Jupiter has moons! Like Callisto. Callisto was also a gun in the game Perfect Dark. Dark ... Moon ... Jupiter? Winnie the Pooh is from the dark side of Jupiter's moon, Callisto!

My world is now upsidedown.

I don't know man, Portal was in my opinion the closest thing to a perfect game in awhile. Not everything's going to be everyone's cup of tea though eh?

Really hate the term 'overrated' though, it's such an objective sounding thing for what amounts to people's personal subjective opinions. Me saying "I wasn't as impressed with Portal as everyone else was" is pretty inoffensive. Me saying "Portal is overrated" is practically begging for retort.

Stormz:
I don't like Portal either. I think it's insanely boring and not worth my time. Not to mention it's created one of the most annoying ass memes ever that people still seem to think is funny to this day.

3 Memes...

Thinking with portals - (Including all the badly photoshopped images of IRL portals)
    Cake
    and 'Still Alive...'

I liked Portal... Although at times I found it a little slow, and prefered the second half of the game when you were out of the test chambers than when you were in them... dialogue was the funniest thing I have seen in a game, but not even the addition of Steven Merchant in the sequel has made me go out and get it... I will get it one day, but only when it is cheaper... Don't get mw wrong, it's clever, but not one of my top games!

Stop the presses, someone doesnt like Portal.
But seriously, that's just an oppinion from someone.

BENZOOKA:
Someone doesn't share your opinions. How can that be possible?

Call Kiefer Sutherland and tell the culprit he has 24 hours to think the opposite.

I swear that if I read one more of these OH NOES HOW DARE SOMEONE HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN YOUES comments I'm going to have an aneurysm.

Yes we are all entitled to a fucking opinion, the OP isn't stupid, he just thinks it's weird that someone dislikes a game that YAHTZEE couldn't find fault with. It's not just the OP that this person disagrees with, it's the vast majority of the gaming world.

It's like we live in a world where nobody is ever allowed to question anyone else's statements about anything.

"If you're a regular viewer you'll understand how insane these words feel coming out of my mouth but I can't think of any criticism for it. I'm serious, this is the most fun you'll have with your PC until they invent a force feedback codpiece. I went in expecting a slew of interesting portal based puzzles, and that's exactly what I got, but what I wasn't expecting was some of the funniest pitch black humor I've ever heard in a game. Okay it's only 2 to 3 hours long, but that's a good length for it. It means it doesn't outstay it's welcome and it narrows the gap between you and the balls tighteningly fantastic ending. ABSOLUTELY SUBLIME FROM START TO FINISH and I will jam forks into my eyes if I ever use those words to describe anything else ever again.
Ya I know it's not very funny to love a game but FUCK YOU; Portal's great and if you don't think so you must be STUPID!"

-Yahtzee

I mean seriously people even Yahtzee, YAHTZEE, thinks this game is untouchable. Why can't the OP consider it strange when someone else criticizes it.
The escapist community has morphed into a strange creature willing to badmouth Portal and sarcastically bemoan someone for defending it. What happened to the gamers who appreciated and defended what they knew to be a remarkably creative, clever, and generally outstanding game?

OlasDAlmighty:

BENZOOKA:
Someone doesn't share your opinions. How can that be possible?

Call Kiefer Sutherland and tell the culprit he has 24 hours to think the opposite.

I swear that if I read one more of these OH NOES HOW DARE SOMEONE HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN YOUES comments I'm going to have an aneurysm.

Yes we are all entitled to a fucking opinion, the OP isn't stupid, he just thinks it's weird that someone dislikes a game that YAHTZEE couldn't find fault with. It's not just the OP that this person disagrees with, it's the vast majority of the gaming world.

It's like we live in a world where nobody is ever allowed to question anyone else's statements about anything.

Let's just have a nice deep breath and calm down then.

If a game wins a bunch of awards, makes critics cry for it's awesomeness and has millions of die-hard fans; it doesn't mean that everybody should love it. They're still completely subjective in regards of how much people will like them, because people like different things. Even though you could generalize that Skyrim is a better game than Farmville, there can be people who think the latter is the best game in the world and Skyrim isn't worth their time at all. That seemed to be an impossible idea to OP, gasping to think someone doesn't think Portal is good and likes BF 3 more than anything else.

It still boils down to someone having a different opinion, and that's supposed to be groundbreaking.

In fact, very popular things, be they games/movies/artists/whatever, always have their haters. Often even a lot more than less popular and praised games/etc., because they are more well known and hyped to reflect even unreachable expectations. It may simply be because they don't like those kind of things, or they just like to think otherwise because it's so cool to not think like "everybody" else.

I can give you an example to the reason why my first response to this topic was not one to your liking: Look through the many threads from these forums where they ask you to tell what game they think to be overrated, and you have a few hundred posts with multiple answers, covering almost all big, popular titles. If they aren't mentioned there, you can think of any title and someone somewhere hates it.

It is futile to argue about what is good and what is bad, when it comes down to personal preferences and subjective values. I think it's more futile to argue why a random person, not even present in the conversation, thinks something is bad/good.

You may think Portal is the second coming, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

First off, this:

erttheking:
O NOEZ, HOW COULD SOMEBODY NOT LIKE PORTAL!!1!!1111!!! IT IZ BES GAME EVAR FOLS WHO DONT LIEK PORTAL R STUPED...oh wait I don't like portal, I find it to be mediocre at best. Get over it. Sorry that you feel so insecure about someone not drooling over a game you like.

Secondly:

Forlong:

I saw a clear error in the poster's judgement of "best game" by limiting himself to RTS games.

Wait what? I didn't know Diablo, Fallout, Day of Defeat, etc. are RTSs! From now on I'll have to check these things out lest I make a fool out of myself!

And lastly the game isn't all that special. The idea is great, but I've never understood why the game was so praised. I was honestly disappointed since I expected something great with all the hype it's been making.

I hope you've made this thread with the intention of getting loads of views, since I don't think I could

Forlong:
get over the shock of someone being that dense.

I don't get the OP's intention. Someone has a different opinion from you about a game. So what? Why is your opinion "better" than his?

Now, I liked Portal myself, but I certainly don't think it's the greatest game ever made. It has its flaws. And if someone doesn't like it, they sure as hell are entitled to their opinion.

So, again: what was the point here?

gmaverick019:
while it is a good bit of fun, i wouldn't ever put it in my top ten, or even top 20 games ever.

-it's too short
-i've seen flash games with about just as much strength as portal has going for it (puzzles/game mechanics)
-not much depth to it, which isn't a flaw, just saying it wouldn't ever reach my top 10-20 with the depth it has.

I'd be inclined to agree, but i still regard it a pretty damn good game for the fact that it was Sold with a package of games, to borrow a yahtzee quote: the fact that it was a 'stocking filler' kind of makes it exempt to the 'too short' critique.

I can understand where you're coming from though; i'm not much of a puzzle gamer myself, but i understand why people would like this and Portal 2, which i hold as a testament to a game surviving and thriving Without cutscenes airlocking the immersion.

Iwata:
So, again: what was the point here?

Get people to jump at him in the forum? Seeing as there are 5 pages of replies already, I'm pretty sure it was a success. Bonus points for a lot of them being the same.

Seeing as there's a badge for getting more than so many posts in a thread you've started, and the OP started it and then hasn't replied once, I'm surprised more people haven't called troll.

Not sure if First Day Internet Kid or First World Problem...

In any case: Dude, shut up and play your Portal. You and everyone around you will be happier and less annoyed.

Portal is meh. all the "the cake is a lie" and Glados and all that shit is just meh.
"the cake is a lie" is one of the memes i hate the most.

TJC:

In any case: Dude, shut up and play your Portal. You and everyone around you will be happier and less annoyed.

First day internet kid? First world problem? More like Successfully trolling. Seriously, why is everyone making a stupid sarcastic remark about how not everyone has to like the same thing. SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE MADE THE STUPID JOKE, THE OP HASN'T EVEN RESPONDED. Just let this thing die. Is everyone really so stupid to think that "Hey, we 100 of us take this obviously misguided opinion (possibly an opinion said to purposely cause in uproar)and point out how stupid it is, the world will suddenly be a better place."

I think it's hardly a game. More like a tutorial with some kind of long level after that. Probably just as overrated as BioShock.

Not everyone has the same opinions. That's just the way it is. You do, of course, have a right to call people out if you don't agree with them, but you can never "correct" them or say that if their opinion is "void" if it doesn't fir your criteria.

OlasDAlmighty:
"If you're a regular viewer you'll understand how insane these words feel coming out of my mouth but I can't think of any criticism for it. I'm serious, this is the most fun you'll have with your PC until they invent a force feedback codpiece. I went in expecting a slew of interesting portal based puzzles, and that's exactly what I got, but what I wasn't expecting was some of the funniest pitch black humor I've ever heard in a game. Okay it's only 2 to 3 hours long, but that's a good length for it. It means it doesn't outstay it's welcome and it narrows the gap between you and the balls tighteningly fantastic ending. ABSOLUTELY SUBLIME FROM START TO FINISH and I will jam forks into my eyes if I ever use those words to describe anything else ever again.
Ya I know it's not very funny to love a game but FUCK YOU; Portal's great and if you don't think so you must be STUPID!"

-Yahtzee

I mean seriously people even Yahtzee, YAHTZEE, thinks this game is untouchable. Why can't the OP consider it strange when someone else criticizes it.
The escapist community has morphed into a strange creature willing to badmouth Portal and sarcastically bemoan someone for defending it. What happened to the gamers who appreciated and defended what they knew to be a remarkably creative, clever, and generally outstanding game?

OP has every right to consider it strange when somebody doesn't share his opinion. The problem is that that is not what he was doing. He basically called someone a brainless moron for not thinking that Portal was anything short of excellent. He then went on to list a whole bunch of games and then told the guy to sell every game he owns and get those games instead. However, in doing so he forgot one tiny little detail. The possibility that maybe the guy in question already owns one or more of these games. Oh right I forgot. He doesn't like Portal, so obviously he doesn't know what good games are.

As for the video itself, OP also basically declared that void as well. Why? Because it doesn't include Portal. Nevermind that it is clearly a subjective list formed by the uploader's subjective opinion, which obviously means that it is by no means a definitive list of the "Best games ever made". It's simply what the uploader feels is the "Best games ever made".

So basically, OP has every right to discuss someone's opinions if it doesn't match his own. What he does not have the right to however, is to say that someone's views or opinions are "void by law" just because they don't match his own.

Also, nothing happened to the "gamers who appreciated and defended what they knew to be a remarkably creative, clever, and generally outstanding game". Those are still out there, defending what they like. As for the others, they simply just don't like the game. It could have the best graphics, best storyline, best audio and the best dialogue ever in a video game and chances are there would still be people who wouldn't like it and they would have every right to. Once again, it all boils down to opinion. Sure, some people may only hate Portal because it's popular, but that doesn't necessarily apply to everyone.

And one last thing. Please stop with the whole "Well Yahtzee said it was good/bad" argument. Look, I like Yahtzee. He's a genuinly funny guy who also manages to be both clever and insightful at the same time. I've been a fan of him for 2 years now and I watch Zero Punctuation religiously every week. But for fucks sake, his word isn't law, so please stop trating it like it is.

Sarcastic_Applause:

gmaverick019:

-it's too short

I'd be inclined to agree, but i still regard it a pretty damn good game for the fact that it was Sold with a package of games, to borrow a yahtzee quote: the fact that it was a 'stocking filler' kind of makes it exempt to the 'too short' critique.

I can understand where you're coming from though; i'm not much of a puzzle gamer myself, but i understand why people would like this and Portal 2, which i hold as a testament to a game surviving and thriving Without cutscenes airlocking the immersion.

that is one of the very very few yahtzee quotes i will agree with, i can see your point and can't hold it against you for that one bit.

i don't hold any grudge toward people loving the games, if it's in your top 5 games that's fine by me, and i will admit that they did the game good for what it was going for..but that's about where my compliments end.

lacktheknack:

SL33TBL1ND:
I'm calling it, everyone. This is officially the worst thread ever on this site.

It's still better than "What's the biggest dump you've ever taken?" but it's pretty bad, yes.

I dunno... There's at least some discussion value there that doesn't include discussion about the thread itself.

Itsthefuzz:

TJC:

First day internet kid? First world problem? More like Successfully trolling. Seriously, why is everyone making a stupid sarcastic remark about how not everyone has to like the same thing. SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE MADE THE STUPID JOKE, THE OP HASN'T EVEN RESPONDED. Just let this thing die. Is everyone really so stupid to think that "Hey, we 100 of us take this obviously misguided opinion (possibly an opinion said to purposely cause in uproar)and point out how stupid it is, the world will suddenly be a better place."

You know, nothing unites a heterogenous group of people than the common contempt towards a single target. I like to believe that the OP has done a selfless sacrifice to unite escapists for a brief moment. For that, I salute him.
Still, please don't quit your dayjob as Captain Obvious. Your work is outstanding.

My mate dislikes portal, he thinks it's boring, unfunny, not particularly intelligent and unoriginal. He hates both puzzle games and platform games.

I personally think it's a hilarious, witty, fun, puzzle-platformer with some difficult puzzles that I absolutely adore

I don't particular like Portal, played nine minutes of the first game and became bored.

Hyper-space:
Do you know what an "opinion" is? Reading up on it is crucial in understanding the internet and the world in general.

You should be banned for saying something so stupid. Yes, I am aware that his opinion is that "Portal" isn't good. And it happens to be MY opinion that he is completely out of his mind. I guess it just isn't as funny when I do it.

FallenMessiah88:
OP has every right to consider it strange when somebody doesn't share his opinion. The problem is that that is not what he was doing. He basically called someone a brainless moron for not thinking that Portal was anything short of excellent. He then went on to list a whole bunch of games and then told the guy to sell every game he owns and get those games instead. However, in doing so he forgot one tiny little detail. The possibility that maybe the guy in question already owns one or more of these games. Oh right I forgot. He doesn't like Portal, so obviously he doesn't know what good games are.

You do realize that no one takes advice they get on the internet, right? I was aware of that an that is why I made that statement. It was to make a point. I knew he wouldn't actually listen unless I said something extreme, because that is the only thing folks on the internet understand. I don't recall saying he was dense. Implied it, probably; but I didn't say that outright.

Forlong:
You do realize that no one takes advice they get on the internet, right? I was aware of that an that is why I made that statement. It was to make a point. I knew he wouldn't actually listen unless I said something extreme, because that is the only thing folks on the internet understand.

Ri-i-ight, then maybe you one of us two doesn't have a good understanding of the Internet. I thought that making an extreme statement will make people dislike you more and not suddenly think you are correct.

Forlong:
I don't recall saying he was dense. Implied it, probably; but I didn't say that outright.

Su-u-ure. I'd like you to recall the following

Forlong:
Take a moment to get over the shock of someone being that dense before you continue reading please.

Unless you were referring to yourself (why I don't know), I'm pretty sure that was directed at the author of the video.

Also, I think we're still waiting for clarification of this

Forlong:
I saw a clear error in the poster's judgement of "best game" by limiting himself to RTS games.

Actually, while you're back here, can you make a list of the objectively 10 best games? I'd love to read a true list not some subjective compilations.

Forlong:

Hyper-space:
Do you know what an "opinion" is? Reading up on it is crucial in understanding the internet and the world in general.

You should be banned for saying something so stupid. Yes, I am aware that his opinion is that "Portal" isn't good. And it happens to be MY opinion that he is completely out of his mind. I guess it just isn't as funny when I do it.

Oh, what a crime to suggest that a game might not be as excellent as some people suggest.

Why, he should be HANGED! For ever suggesting that some things might be *GASP* subjective!.

Nah, but seriously, don't be a cunt that goes around thinking you're somehow an authority on what is good and what is not. As stated before and many times since, there is more than enough reasons to think that Portal is not that cracked up to be as hype would have it.

HOMM 3, Fallout 2, Day of Defeat, Jagged Alliance 2, UO at the first spot. I like the guy.

OP should submit his top 10 games so we can decide who is a better person based on our personal opinions.

Thoric485:
OP should submit his top 10 games so we can decide who is a better person based on our personal opinions.

Not his we don't wan subjective list - these are flawed. We (or at least I) want the top 10 objectively good games based solely on the quality of the game (so not "top sells" and so on).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked