Kingdom of Amalur: Reckonings

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

What's it like? I get the impression of Skyrim mixed with Devil May Cry? Who has played it and do you recommend it? Thanks!

It's very colorful, very aesthetically stylized, and has nicely varied environments and character designs that usually manage to sidestep the common RPG element of mismatched clothing on player characters through careful artistic direction. It also has incredibly badass gnomes. All positive things.

Combat is more along the lines of God of War than Devil May Cry, though with fewer quick time events. Your character is mainly landlocked- no jump mechanic- and combat mainly revolves around chaining attacks, timing your blocks, and judicious use of secondary weapons and abilities for maximum effect. Wolves are bastards.

I don't want to spoil anything regarding story or characters.

Anything else?

I've only played the demo but i felt the combat was pretty poor for a title tauting its self on the system, its functional but very easy, every fight equated to mash main attack and dodge incommming threats, no need for targeting even with ranged attacks it realy is just a mash fest.

The world is undoubtly big but seemed pretty underpopulated to me, and there are large areas of the map that are inaccessable, the npcs are also very unreal and dont have any redeeming qualities.

Every quest i completed amounted to little more than kill/fetch/intereact.

The movement system in game lacks a jump function and feels restrictive because of it, also there is no stamina bar of any kind so you can sprint indefinatly which rases the question as to why you would run at normal speed.

From what i played of the demo and footage ive seen on youtube of the release version not much seems to have changed. Honestly if you want to know what its like i recommend the demo first.

It's a combination of Fable and a single player WoW.

You can beat supposedly tough fights on the hardest difficulty setting by quite literally closing your eyes and mashing the attack buttons at random.

Overall it's very meh. Not bad, but not good either. Just... there.

I like to add that one of my only issue I have with this game is the lack of enemy variation. After the second Country you travel you have allready seen all enemy types. Well, to be fair skyrim does also not have alot of diffrent enemies. Still I had alot of fun with the game.

Sram:
I like to add that one of my only issue I have with this game is the lack of enemy variation. After the second Country you travel you have allready seen all enemy types. Well, to be fair skyrim does also not have alot of diffrent enemies. Still I had alot of fun with the game.

Compared to 99% of games out there, both Skyrim and Reckoning have a huge amount of enemy variety.

Zhukov:

You can beat supposedly tough fights on the hardest difficulty setting by quite literally closing your eyes and mashing the attack buttons at random.

Having actually played part of the game beyond the demo, I can tell that if you don't time your blocks and dodges right, you will lose to most encounters on hard. Just mashing attack buttons only works if you can single out critters one at a time.

In groups, enemies in the flanks will stun the pc with their attacks, interrupting your own attack and then they keep turns interrupting you, until you succesfully reposition your PC through dodge rolls or time your block precisely for a quick counterstun.

Big guys like ettins and trolls will also interrupt your attacks and bash you silly until you outclass them by so much that your high damage scores will cause baddies to play the hurt animation.
Most of the time you will putting your pc in melee attack range, then roll away when the big guys prepare to strike and then move back in again for a couple strikes and dodge roll again.

The combat really is okay. Not great, but okay, which is more than other action-RPGs. Biggest point against the combat is the auto camera movement/zooming, which you'll be often forced to correct with your right stick.

I've had a lot more fun with Amalur than I had with Skyrim and that game was monopolizing my time (well almost) for the better part of a month and a half. Since I got Amalur I haven't touched it. Funner combat, a more interesting world and plot (imo anyway) and amazing graphics that put more emphasis on style than realism (just the way I like it).

My only complaints are against the camera, which can be a bit wonky in combat, the dispelling minigame which seems waaay too hard but maybe I just suck, and the fact that my skeletal minion isn't as aggressive in combat as I'd like him to be.

veloper:

Zhukov:

Having actually played part of the game beyond the demo, I can tell that if you don't time your blocks and dodges right, you will lose to most encounters on hard. Just mashing attack buttons only works if you can single out critters one at a time.

Uh... no.

You will notice that I used the word "literally" in my post.

I actually tried it. I picked a fight with four of the big ogre guys with hammers (ettins?). I then closed my eyes and started mashing the attack buttons. I did not press any other buttons at all. I did not dodge or use items. I just left and right clicked until I couldn't hear the enemies any more. Then I opened my eyes and they were all dead.

This was on the hardest difficulty in a new area of the map using a rogue/fighter cross character.

Zhukov:

veloper:

Zhukov:

Uh... no.

I actually tried it. I picked a fight with four of the big ogre guys with hammers (ettins?). I then closed my eyes and started mashing the attack buttons. I did not press any other buttons at all. I did not dodge or use items. I just left and right clicked until I couldn't hear the enemies any more. Then I opened my eyes and they were all dead.

This was on the hardest difficulty in a new area of the map using a rogue/fighter cross character.

That's either really, really lucky or the area you went to did not cross the new boundary (it was still part of an earlier area-difficulty). You can only pull that off if you go to an easy area where you outclass your enemies by a couple levels.
A group of ettins(the two headed gugy) at your level should shrug off your attacks, stunlock and kill a warrior build if they use their strongest attack only a couple times.

Even the smaller guys(with only one head) while a little easier than ettins, but should still keep interupting you if they use their rush attacks.

Try it again against ettins.

Adam Jensen:
Compared to 99% of games out there, both Skyrim and Reckoning have a huge amount of enemy variety.

yeah you're right, and I don't know why this bugs me so much. Maybe it's because of the pacing how enemies are introduced. Compared to, let's say Witcher 2, where you are introduced new Enemies each Act of the Story, Amalurs open world feels kinda rushed explored enemy-wise.

veloper:

Same result.

First against an ettin warpreist and his three wolves, then later against an ettin brute, an ettin shaman and two wolves.

veloper:

Zhukov:

veloper:

Uh... no.

That's either really, really lucky or the area you went to did not cross the new boundary (it was still part of an earlier area-difficulty). You can only pull that off if you go to an easy area where you outclass your enemies by a couple levels.
A group of ettins(the two headed gugy) at your level should shrug off your attacks, stunlock and kill a warrior build if they use their strongest attack only a couple times.

Even the smaller guys(with only one head) while a little easier than ettins, but should still keep interupting you if they use their rush attacks.

No, he's right. The combat is easy. It's made even easier by the broken Blacksmithing system. if you manage to get the proper components (it DOES take a while admittedly), you can become an invincible killing machine.

DeadSp8s:
What's it like? I get the impression of Skyrim mixed with Devil May Cry? Who has played it and do you recommend it? Thanks!

Since everything has pretty much been mentioned I will just chip in, the surrounding lore that is put in through the use of hidden stones that speak scattered around the world is fantastic, and the voice acting is spot on, occassionally funny but mostly rather immersive. Get used to mildly scottish accents, theres a lot of em.

Story and lore wise much more immersive than Skyrim, I would happily read all the back story written for this.

Combat wise, starts easy as fuck gets complex as you unlock more skills, is very nicely paced but I do recommend hard mode.

Zhukov:

veloper:

Same result.

First against an ettin warpreist and his three wolves, then later against an ettin brute, an ettin shaman and two wolves.

What kind of weapons are you using?

If I try that against an ettin warpriest with my best longsword, greatsword or hammer (damage roughly in the 200 range for greatsword and hammer), I may connect a few hits and then the ettin will punch my next attack. 2 groundslam attacks from him will bring my PC to about 10% health.
I can beat ettins but not with just mashing the attack button.

I'm about 20 hours in and I dare you to try to button mash after the first couple areas. At one point due to poor armor value some monsters were literally one shotting me on top of poison damage on hard.

I've said it before and said it again, a demo is a very poor way to judge a game because its usually a very old version anyways.

Zeckt:
I'm about 20 hours in and I dare you to try to button mash after the first couple areas. At one point due to poor armor value some monsters were literally one shotting me on top of poison damage on hard.

I've said it before and said it again, a demo is a very poor way to judge a game because its usually a very old version anyways.

I button mash sometimes in the swamp outside Mel Senshir. I'm on hard, too. And better armor really isn't hard to come by. My Might/Sorc character can facetank Ettin Warpriests and cut them down in seconds. I even button mash on my Rogue using Daggers, both in a 1-on-1 fight and in groups. If you can hit-stun something, button mashing is really all you have to do. The only thing that'll ever hit you is a ranged monster or something coming in on your flank while you're bashing something else.

I can't say anything on the demo, though, as I didn't get to play it, but I agree that playing an old version of the game isn't the best way to judge it. However it can also be a good thing. If you enjoyed that demo, one can imagine how much better the real game is. :o

I found the Demo largely lacking, and I wouldn't drop my money on it. The fighting-system was just "Meh" (and reminded me a lot about Fable, which also was a big "Ooooooooh....No. No. This won't do".
The skill-system reminded me oh Fable as well (Oooh, I can be a Mage, Warrior or Theif! How original! ..Except it doesn't seem to have the kind of variety that for example Dragon Age has).
The graphics are average and the questing seem generic.

Probably good for wasting a few hours, just not what I was looking for.

Edit: And oh, the instant-heals from stacking potions..No, sorry, can't handle.

It kinda reminds me a lot of the style I would have preferred Fable to take, at least in terms of gameplay. So, I quite like it for that reason at least. I would put it at between a 5 and 7 out of ten, depending on your taste. Its not groundbreaking but definitely not awful by any means.

It really just depends on your taste.

I don't think the combat is any better than Skyrim, as there really aren't that many attacks. You'd have a pretty similar combat experience playing a lvl 30 character in Skyrim. It's still fun, and it's not that the combat is bad in any way, it's just not groundbreaking.

The visual design is bright and colorful, and story is pretty good. It's a solid game.

However, it definately depends on your tastes. If you don't like the visuals or lore of World of Warcraft, you won't like this game.

This game has the same cheerful and light-hearted take on fantasy that Fable and WoW do; there is a pure good and a completely corrupt evil, and not just when it comes to the player character.
Most bad guys can be spotted by the way they talk.

Because of this, I didn't like the game. I like characters to be a little more realistic.
Not that I don't think there are really all-around good guys and bad guys out in the world, but they're the minority.

Anyways, probably watch some gameplay videos and see if you want it or not.

Edit: Actually, I have to add something in praise of the game; I LOVE the class system. You can play as hybrid classes, which actually gain their own unique abilities. For instance, I played as a Warrior/Mage, which eventually gets the Blink ability. Blink replaces your normal dodge with a close ranged teleport ability. It's actually not MUCH better than the normal dodge, but I love how the game gives you bonuses for cross-classing. Warrior/Mages also eventually get bonuses to melee damage, armor, and they can absorb damage to fill their mana pool.

So yeah, I'd definately want to see more of this in other RPG's.

It starts off strong, and I'm really sorry to say this, but ends up flying fart circles about half way in. All progression basically halts, the crafting and skill systems start showing real big problems...

I probably won't finish the game.

Hal10k:
Wolves are bastards.

I don;t think this can be stated emphatically enough.

Sram:

If by "Country," you mean "land mass," maybe. Of course, by the time you've done that, you're probably 20 hours into the game minimum.

veloper:

Having played for 30 hours, there have only been a few cases where I've needed to dodge OR block.

Okay, it's probably made easier by the fact that Mark of Flame is kinda beastly, to the point where it seems like other spells are mostly crap by comparison, but even when I run into enemies with fire immunity, I can usually just spam regular staff attacks and Chakrams for the win.

You know how when games are rated on a scale of 1-10, a 5 usually means that the game has flaws but die hard fans of the genre will probably find something to like in it? It's the exact opposite, everything in the game has been seen before and done better. It's competent enough that people not familiar with it will probably like it, but I'd say most RPG players will be bored stiff.

The combat isn't as great as it is on paper, has the potential but is highly unpolished, the dodge mechanics are very under responsive at times and when you hit block you don't actually cancel out actions to block, so it's not really as tactile as it should be. And I do play the game on hard difficulty, my main issue is that it's way too easy to get stun locked. If you get surrounded and caugh in a chain attack you're pretty much guaranteed to take 2 out of 3 hits before recovering, and some of the cheaper bosses shoot out homing spells way too fast, you'll dodge one homing spell, and by the time the slow as hell recovery animation ends there are already 3 other projectiles on their way to making contact with your face.

Also, NPCs are nothing spectacular. Basically you meet someone, get a wall of text about how they're important to the storyline, they tell you where to go and run off to meet you there. You don't really spend enough time with any one person to really care or get invested, although on paper they seem pretty interesting.

That's about it, you've seen this RPG before if you've played any of them in the past 10 years, and you've seen better combat mechanics if you've played Devil May Cry, Fable, or GoW.

EDIT: I should also point out that you break boxes in this game. Sometimes you get gold from it. ugh.

I really liked the look, but overall the game is mediocre.

The combat is fun at the beginning, but in the end it gets extremely tedious. You fight the same enemies over and over again (no variation whatsoever, all region have the exact same enemies), just with more health. A real challenge is not one of them, even on 'hard', the armor you can create with blacksmithing is simply too good to let any damage through.

The story is predictable, the characters are bland.

The loot is completely useless. They created hundreds of uniquely looking items (uniques and sets), but not one of them is even remotely as good stats-wise as the stuff you can create yourself with blacksmithing and sagecraft. I haven't used unique items for more than 1h in my 90h playthrough.

It's got a really nice aesthetic and some pretty cool mythology. My only major issue is that it's too goddamn easy. I've been playing on hard since I popped the sucker into my PS3 and I've yet to meet something I couldn't overcome the first or second time.

Hal10k:

Combat is more along the lines of God of War than Devil May Cry, though with fewer quick time events. Your character is mainly landlocked- no jump mechanic- and combat mainly revolves around chaining attacks, timing your blocks, and judicious use of secondary weapons and abilities for maximum effect. Wolves are bastards.

I'd say it is more along the lines of the 3D Zelda games like Ocarina of Time and stuff, only with more combos and no real lock-on (I mean, there is, but it's only for weapons such as the bow or the spells)

Hal10k:
Wolves are bastards.

God, them and Sprites when there's a Champion around are a pain in the ass.

Dispelling is the worst "lock" mechanic I've ever encountered. Expect to be blown up often if you bother with it. I just save first and try auto-dispelling. If I fail, just reload and try again.

Combat's meh. Very repetitive. I've found myself changing my build several times just to mix it up a bit.

Elemental Rage is stupid against groups. The Faer Gorta summon is meh.

Being unable to cancel your attack to dodge-roll is an annoyance. It's worse if you take the Sorcery Destiny's because Blink has a delay.

The landscape is beautiful.

Some of the best voice acting I've heard.

Alyn Shir is fanservice, don't kid yourself.

There's a bit of an input problem with the action button(not the attack button). I've found myself having to press the F button several times before my character opened the chest/talked to someone/picked a pocket/etc.

Your biggest enemy in the game is the camera. It hates you and will show it's disdain. I once had it get stuck in the floor during a fight with a pack of wolves. I could only see a small slit of what was happening above ground. Nothing I did would fix it until the fight was over. It likes to zoom in and out at the most inopportune moments.

Blacksmithing is ridiculously OP. You can make weapons and armor with horribly overinflated stats really easy, really quickly. Combined with Detect Hidden so you can get more stuff to salvage, and it gets absurd.

veloper:

Zhukov:

veloper:

Same result.

I use daggers. My selected spell was earthquake.

Zhukov:

veloper:

Zhukov:

Same result.

I wanted to call that but I refrained from assumptions. :x Daggers are kind of ridiculous with critical hits.

You'll notice a lot of people arguing over how deep and intricate the fighting really is. It can be confusing for someone who's never played it, and even more so for someone who's played only the demo (and thus had little chance to explore ability usage).

Let me clear it up for you: KoA:R's combat has the potential to be "the deepest RPG combat around". When you get further into the game and you unlock more and more abilities, traits and melee tricks, you'll start to see the numerous ways in which they can compliment each other, the way they fit different situations, and so on.

Unfortunately, actually using abilities in clever ways is never necessary, and later in the game, attempting a well thought-out ability-based strategy is largely to your own detriment. The abilities just don't deal enough damage and enemies aren't dangerous enough to justify it. Sure, you could probably save yourself from taking a few hits with a clever strategy, but enemies do little damage and health potions are common enough that it's just too much faster to run in and wail on everyone. Even on the hardest difficulty this doesn't change much. While you'll have to be more diligent with dodges, blocks and ripostes, ability damage utterly pales in comparison to weapon damage - especially if you took time to make your own weapons.

It's a strange thing to see. Whereas a game like Dark Souls has a comparatively small number of subtleties and intricacies to learn, it demands that you know and use all of them. KoA:R has many more to learn and use, but never demands anything more of you than the occasional block, dodge or potion use. As a result, Dark Souls (and the Witcher 1 & 2) have deeper combat in practice.

Zhukov:

veloper:

Zhukov:

Same result.

I'll try daggers too then, see if they really makes that much of a difference.

Thanks everybody. I'm much more informed. I'm trying to make the decision between Skyrim and Amalur. This helps.

DeadSp8s:
Thanks everybody. I'm much more informed. I'm trying to make the decision between Skyrim and Amalur. This helps.

Both are really good games worth owning. What system are you shopping for? If it's for PC< get Skyrim, is only because of mods. If on console, I'd probably recommend Amalur, because of the deeper combat. Sadly, combat IS exactly like Arkley says, but it's still fun.

It's kinda like Skyrim and Fable, maybe even with a little Zelda in there. Open world and all that, tons of quests, etc. Different art style too. Actually, I like it more than Skyrim. Fighting system is better, the world felt more 'alive' to me, and so on. That said, I didn't know what the hell was going on for the first few hours because they throw a lot of terms and shit your way that I had a hard time of grasping the context of, but that changed after a while and I knew what was happening. Honestly, after beating the game (took me about 67 hours with a bunch of side quests) I have a hard time going back to Skyrim at all. Skyrim, despite being as cool as it is, seems rather bland after this. Even all I like the combat in Skyrim, after playing this it's kinda hard to compare for me, but then that depends on the kind of combat you're into. Skyrim is more 'realistic' by comparison to this, but Reckoning is just more fun.

Oh yeah, and if you invest in blacksmith and then take the mage/warrior route (mostly mage) then your character can be very overpowered. My dude is a wreaking house. He takes out swaths of dudes in one or two hits all at once with his mage spells and then deals ridiculous damage with his two handled sword. Made the last boss a little underwhelming, and I was on hard. If you want more of a challenge, don't invest in blacksmith, or just put a little in.

The art style reminded me too much of Wow, that made me laugh, i realized i would not be able to take jack seriously in that game, lets plays i watched showed a very narrow opening area. I realize its supposed to be a forest(i think) but did they have to make it surrounded by giant canyons that cannot be scaled? ITs world design reminded me greatly of WoW, aesthetic reminded me of WoW, combat would have been cool if i cared about over the top games like that, apparently full of fetch quests. I got the impression of WoW and it held up to that on everything except voice and combat. Though like Warhammer online i could not stand the human females voice.

DeadSp8s:

Skyrims mod capability makes it endless fun but amalur is no where near as good looking. May be a plus on a low spec PC though. Since amalur was built to be an MMO at first(and lordy it shows)the aesthetic was built to be run well on a low spec PC while still be attractive. Go watch a few good lets plays or first impressions before you buy.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked