Yeah...Assassin's Creed: Revelations sucked...

Anyone else get the feeling that the game was incredibly hollow on the inside? Like a big box of a Christmas present that when you open it up, all you have are 50 pounds of styrofoam(spelling) packing peanuts and a small photograph of someone flipping you off. I mean when you break down the story and compare it to the other AC stories...you don't really DO anything. You find 5 CD's, find Altair's skeleton, and find the location of the temple for Desmond. AC II you're chasing The Spaniard all over Italy...you're on a mission to kill him and everyone he's every talked to. Brotherhood you're cleaning up the mess you left by sparing him, and you've still got quite a big hit-list and things to do in the city of Rome. I understand that Ezio's a tired old man in Revelations, but it really seems like he just wants to get through his time in Constantinople as quickly and quietly as possible, uncarring to the Templar threat in the city.

If you ask me this entire game could have been wrapped up in a 20 minute downloadable animated movie. It's quite literally like Ezio is just passing through Constantinople and really can't be bothered with his assassin duties anymore. Hell, the first guy you assassinate is halfway through the game (I don't count the captain you kill at the very beginning...that's not a true assassination in which you plan your route of attack and perform a stealth execution, hell you've even got guys shooting at you as you climb the building that the captain is on top of) and he turns out to be a good guy! In AC II and Brotherhood, you actually did stuff in and for the city with the "hidden tombs" and platforming sections as optional extras to unlock epic gear. In this game the hidden tombs and platforming sections are the main objectives of the game.

I dunno, I was just severely disappointed. Constantinople just seemed much smaller than Rome, the story seemed to be the smallest story of all AC games with the most interesting events happening in the ALtair flashbacks. But really there's not much I can say that Yahtzee didn't already point out. The majority of the game is spent doing tutorial missions to learnn how to use all the new stuff, Ezio is only minorly attributed to the over-arching plot going on within the city (with the Sultan's son and what-not)...I mean all you really do is destroy some Templar towers, find a couple DVD's, learn Desmond's backstory in a rather assenine way, then the game's over.

I disagreed with Yahtzee on Brotherhood...I can understand his argument about saying that Brotherhood seemed like it should have just been an expansion, but to me it seemed robust enough to be considered it's own game. Revelations, though, I can't say the same for it...it really should have just been a DLC expansion to Brotherhood, if not just a downloadable video as I mentioned above.

The AC series has kind of been very disillusioning to me. I don't really see the draw of it truth be told. I feel like the series as a whole just doesn't really know what to do with down time between story bits. It's all just some guy prancing around for a while until he decides to kill a city official. They talked up the game like it was a complicated, Hitman style game where you have to plan out your attack where even the thought of being found out would mean almost instant failure. But really you can just walk in, sword fight everyone to death, then go back to prancing. I played a friends copy of AC1 and 2, but I couldn't get into it at all, there's no substance or hook to keep me coming back.

I wouldn't say it sucked, I still enjoyed playing through it, but AC3 needs a pretty big shake up and a fuckload of streamlining.

Jitters Caffeine:
The AC series has kind of been very disillusioning to me. I don't really see the draw of it truth be told. I feel like the series as a whole just doesn't really know what to do with down time between story bits. It's all just some guy prancing around for a while until he decides to kill a city official. They talked up the game like it was a complicated, Hitman style game where you have to plan out your attack where even the thought of being found out would mean almost instant failure. But really you can just walk in, sword fight everyone to death, then go back to prancing. I played a friends copy of AC1 and 2, but I couldn't get into it at all, there's no substance or hook to keep me coming back.

Yeah, I enjoyed them, but they were by no means complicated.
>Run in
>Eviscerate some poor sod
>Fight some guards
>Run
>Repeat

I enjoyed the storyline sort of. But yeah, a harder difficulty level would have been nice, where maybe the guards could counter and kill you instantly? Countering made the game so easy... Or even failure if you're detected or something.

I said this before, and I'm gonna repeat it again. Revelations should have been a DLC for Brotherhood, consisting only of seeking those Altair memories. Because that's the only thing that mattered in that game. The Ottomans plot was completely useless. It revolved around 3 characters, it had nothing to do with Ezio and it was too short. The reason we liked Ezio so much is because of his story that revolves around becoming an assassin and taking revenge on people who murdered his family. Revelations shouldn't exist as a full game. They almost ruined Ezio for me. He was so awesome in previous 2 games (he became my favorite video game character), and it was really bad seeing him so old in Revelations. They also changed his face because they decided to use some kind of new facial animation technology. That's why Desmond looks so ugly now as well. Revelations is a shitload of bad decisions.

I was a freaking huge Assassins Creed fan. I guess I am, since I liked the first three, but damn did I hate Revelations. It should have been DLC, and Ubisoft is releasing the games too fast. Revelation seems hollows indeed, and we needed to move on from Ezio MUCH sooner. In fact, since the only interesting things were the Alta´r parts, the game should have been just about him. It was just such a disappointment, especially since I was taking a break from a game I actually loved to play it. I'm not getting AC3 now for sure. I'll just read a summary of the story on the internet.

Jitters Caffeine:

The bolded part of your statement actually reminds me...when my local movie rental place was going out of business, they were selling off all their stuff. I was poking around through the games and found Tenchu Z on sale for $5. I decided "why not?" and picked it up and enjoyed playing through it. While doing so, I couldn't help but think that a perfect assassin game would be a cross between Tenchu and AC. Take the free roaming aspects and story depth of AC and cross it with the gameplay and mission style of Tenchu.

I say this would be a great assassin game because really, the Tenchu games have never been too huge on story, and free roaming is definitely better than playing the same 7 maps over and over for 50 missions. However, the "combat" in Tenchu was absolutely horrible...but I actually think it is supposed to be that way, or is better off that way. Why? Because it places a much heavier emphasis on actually being stealthful and remaining undetected. When the shit hits the fan in AC, all you have to do is stand there waiting to counter attack...and when they introduced the execution streak in Brotherhood, actual fighting became an even bigger joke. Tenchu you had to take your time, creep around and memorize all the guard patrols before finding the weak link where you can pick off a guard and screw up the "wall of vision" that the guards have in watching each other's back. From there you take'em out one by one. It requires so much more thought, patience, and timing to remain undetected...and remaining undetected is about your only means of success seeing as how actually standing and fighting is all but useless.

AstylahAthrys:
I was a freaking huge Assassins Creed fan. I guess I am, since I liked the first three, but damn did I hate Revelations. It should have been DLC, and Ubisoft is releasing the games too fast. Revelation seems hollows indeed, and we needed to move on from Ezio MUCH sooner. In fact, since the only interesting things were the Alta´r parts, the game should have been just about him. It was just such a disappointment, especially since I was taking a break from a game I actually loved to play it. I'm not getting AC3 now for sure. I'll just read a summary of the story on the internet.

I won't say that I'm completely writing off the series...I'll still give AC III a shot. But Revelations was a rather forceful kick to my balls as far as my expectations were concerned. I've a number of friends that don't like the series, and with each new game the series has become less and less defendable. The story of Ezio awakening to his heritage as an assassin in AC II was a great story. The story of hunting down the baatard that killed your uncle, destroyed your home, and stole the apple in Brotherhood was still pretty good. But Revelations was quite literally just "Ezio passes his time in his retirement."

Personally I think the story of Revelations could have been done much better by simply changing who the main character is. Build up a plot with a new Assassin recruit joining the cause in Constantinople. Do some missions to fight the Templar hold on the city. Then *gasp* HOLY SHIT GRAND MASTER EZIO JUST ARRIVED! You could then continue carrying out your duties for the assassins in the city, but every now and then Ezio, seeing your potential, could pull you aside and say "I need your help, brother..." and get you to go on the DVD hunting quests. Quite simply: I think the reason the story of AC: R sucked was because there just wasn't any more of Ezio's story that needed to be told. He's a tired old man who shouldn't be out jumping across roof-tops and scaling tall towers. You can finish up his life's story, that's fine, but they should have shifted that to more of a side-plot and had the focus be on someone else rather than trying to build another game around Ezio.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked