Games you've bought because they suck

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I'm just wondering if any Escapists have ever bought a game because they just had to see how bad it was for themselves?

I almost bought Duke Nukem Forever for this very reason, however I chose not to.

I've never done this with a game. I don't have that kind of money. However, I did buy the Twilight books for this very reason.

I've never bought a game because it was bad, but I've re-bought a game that I knew was bad. Usually I do that out of nostalgia just to relive some of the charms the game has in spite of the awfulness it may also have that I am very aware of. But I've never had such a morbid curiousity that I felt that I needed to buy something because it's bad. If I ever really wanted to experience that I would rent or borrow.

Nope, never. Not worst the money.

I have, however, bought games that turned out to be trash.

Damnation comes to mind.

Deadly Premonition greatest Cutscene ever! (BROKEN) :

I've never done such a thing, but I had a friend in college who liked obscure and weird Japanese games, and bought Stretch Panic, which was so bad and so old, she couldn't even play it on her newer PS2.
She had strange, but often fascinating tastes.

I'd seen Kane and Lynch on some game show (yeah that amazing trailer with the abseiling into a building, and the cool gun fight) so was amazed when my mate told me it was a huge pile of horse crap. I left it a while then saw it for 10 and picked it up....
Why didn't I listen to you Chris?!

I have rented games I knew would probably be bad or one that's not really my taste and wind up being surprised (Dead Island). I bought resonance of fate because it was suppose to be challenging I just found it confusing and strange haven't really bothered to figure it out. I wouldn't intentionally buy anything I wouldn't enjoy.

I am too firm a believer of the "vote with your wallet" idea. I will never buy a game because it sucks and never have.

Hang in there though, I have sen other people posting that they have done this. Just last month someone posted about how they played Skyrim at a friends, thought it sucked massively and proceeded to the checkout counter with Skyrim in hand. I will never understand this, personally.

Hmm...I don't think I've ever said to myself "I heard this game sucks! I'M GOING TO BUY IT!" :D

But I HAVE bought games that didn't review well professionally, weren't liked very well by gamers that I personally did enjoy.

If I buy a game, I'm buying it because something about it makes me think I'll enjoy it. I'll never buy a game just because people hated it.

But I DID almost buy DNF when it was only 10 bucks at wal-mart around the holidays. Not see how bad it was for myself, but for posterity. The game has such historical significance in our field I feel like it belongs in some sort of Game Museum.

I would buy Deadly Premonition in a heartbeat if I saw it, and I'd probably enjoy it too.

I must say I was quite tempted by Mindjack for 10$. But not DNF, hell no.

Svenparty:

Fixed that for you.

OT: No. I guess you can do that if you have too much money or think you'll get a few laughs from mates with that purchase or whatever strange reason.

Personally, I don't approach any purchase with the mindset: "It's not worth it, I don't like it and I have no use for it: so I'll buy it".

It of course depends on the person's definition on "* sucks" and what that means. Because that is completely subjective. I think Counter-Strike: Source kind of "sucks", but it doesn't change the fact that I've got 1400 hours or something on the Steam playing-time clock for it, and I still play it every now and then.

Vampire Rain. Me and a friend did a commentary on it and then destroyed it.

Duke Nukem, bought it for 5 bucks during a steam sale. Yup it sucks every bit as bad as I was told.

Don't really have the money...if I buy a game it should last me a fair while, with some replay value to it. RPG's and RTS games are always good buys for me

Almost bought a used copy of Sonic 2006. Probably should have. That game is somewhat hard to find now.

I don't buy games often enough or listen to peoples' opinions often enough to do so.

I did pick up some random used games for $3 apiece, if that counts. I don't know what people think of Hunter The Reckoning: Wayward or Orphen, though.

Bought myself a used copy of The Simpsons Skateboarding. Never got far with it because the landing was messed up.

i don't since i have strange taste in games and I'll be damned if i care what other people think about my choices

I pre-ordered Duke Nukem Forever just to see how bad it would be.

I was ill prepared for the horrors of poor game design that awaited me.

BENZOOKA:

Svenparty:

Fixed that for you.

OT: No. I guess you can do that if you have too much money or think you'll get a few laughs from mates with that purchase or whatever strange reason.

Personally, I don't approach any purchase with the mindset: "It's not worth it, I don't like it and I have no use for it: so I'll buy it".

It of course depends on the person's definition on "* sucks" and what that means. Because that is completely subjective. I think Counter-Strike: Source kind of "sucks", but it doesn't change the fact that I've got 1400 hours or something on the Steam playing-time clock for it, and I still play it every now and then.

The only thing I have seen that makes less sense than that video is this image

I bought Deadly Premonition expecting it to suck. Played it with some friends so we'd have something to laugh at together.

At this point it's somehow one of my favorite games. Ever. Yeah...

Super Pitfall for the NES after seeing Aqualung Game Reviews and The Angry Video Game Nerd trash the game.

Probably the only game I've bought for that reason so far. That and Big Rigs.

Umm yeah a bad game isn't like a bad movie. At least not for me. There is no game that has ever been so notoriously bad that I just had to check it out and see how bad it is.
There have just been games that have been said to be bad, but I already had my mind made up about and bought anyway and enjoyed myself ie Duke Nukem Forever.

Sonic 2006 is the ONLY game that fits this category for me.

The reason? I wanted to see exactly how a professional studio could have created a game that doesn't even fit the writing standards of 13-year-old fanfiction writers.

I have been considering Gotham City Imposters just because the idea makes me laugh. Also it's only $15 on steam, not like Skyrim which pissed me off because that was a massive waste. $60 and no real story to speak of, apparently I'm the bastard child of a big lizard or something.

Deadly premonition is my vote . I did end up finding it halariously bad . It's very much like a bad b-movie . Right zach?

DEADLY MOTHERFUCKING PREMONITION. That game is really good (somehow).

only if they're strong bad like... that thing with bikinis and zombies, and DOA volleyball.

i used to know some people who spend more time playing bad games and complaining about them than actually playing games they really want... i think that's seriously demented and time-wasting.

Ya, I bought Dark Void cuz it was $5. I even liked it because the value was so great.

I'm sure i've bought something because it sucks before... Damned if I can remember what is was though.

I can easily sit through a bad game just to tear it to pieces. Like I did with the second Twilight film. Best film to watch with friends ever. All I know is that someone called someone a marshmellow and we all fucking lost it.

ThePS1Fan:
I'm just wondering if any Escapists have ever bought a game because they just had to see how bad it was for themselves?

I almost bought Duke Nukem Forever for this very reason, however I chose not to.

I bought Duke Nukem partly for that reason. The big thing though was that when I got it, it was $15 so I got to laugh at the people who un-ironically shelled out $100+ for Balls of Steel. It was worth $15 if that helps but, mainly because it has actual cheat codes...that you unlock after beating the game...

---

Quite a few! I tried buying Shaq-Fu but it was never delivered to me. Other than that there was the aforementioned DNF which I blazed through 3 times (easy, hard and, cheat). I am away from my SNES and N64 at the moment...sadly...and I know I've grabbed some SNES and N64 games that were considered bad but off the top of my head all I can think of are a pair of Duck Dogers games which I think were just mediocre.

Bought Dragon Age 2 after a lot of hesitation, when it was really cheap, considering how much shit it has gotten on this site.
Turned out to be a really good game. Had a lot more fun with it than I did with Dragon Age: Origins.

Was close to getting DNF, just to see how it is for myself, but I don't even want to fork out 7 for that game.

I have the most fun with bad games. Haven't bought any recently, but I do have Evil Dead: Fist Full of Boomstick.

BENZOOKA:

Svenparty:

Fixed that for you.

"I'm here for Mr Stewards lunch, if it's ready I'll thank you a...bunch."

That guy drops more dope rhymes than the Detroit getto.

It's fucking hilarious.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked