What should Treyarch do to innovate in Black Ops 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

http://www.codblackopsblog.com/what-should-treyarch-do-to-innovate-with-black-ops-2/

That link made me curious as to see some suggestions from any escapists. Personally, I'd be glad if they focused a lot more on stealth with this one.

It's a shame to see that they just seem to not really care about trying anymore, and if they put even less effort into it then MW3, it'll probably be the last Call of Duty game I plan to play.

Also, inb4 "Call of Duty? Innovate? HAHAHAHAHA!"

I don't really know what they could do right now. I was thinking they could add drivable vehicles on the map but then it would just end up being a worse version of Battlefield. I think right now they should just add more ways to customize and more variety to the maps. Maybe the maps should have special things instead of just be nice to look at.
I'm thinking that maybe they could add water and the ability to swim and shoot underwater.
They could also add things like snow and ice is slippery so you slide or something when sprinting on it.
I didn't really like Black Ops that much so sorry if the ideas aren't that good.

Come up with a better title for one. I saw one site use an image with the word Blacklist in place of Black Ops in reference to that French site that leaked the announcement. That would be a better title considering the game will probably be about (Mason, Hudson, and Weaver on the run from the CIA).

If this isn't much of an innovation but if theyrer bringing back custom emblems they should go a step further and have custom gun camos. Like pick a patter and two or three colors. Always wanted to be bale to do that in a game.

Multiplayer maps with dynamic weather could be interesting. And if they add the ability to swim like the guy above me suggested they could have maps that flooded.

I'm gonna take the obvious bait and say "Single Player." Would it kill a company to release a game with a decent stand-alone story for those of us who don't enjoy the prospect of listening to some twelve year old screech profanities and racial slurs in our ears?

Now I'm not of the camp that believes that multiplayer should be cut from games, I love to sit down for an afternoon of fragging as much as the next guy, but honestly, if you're not gonna bother putting any effort into a single-player experience, then just cut it from the game and be done with it.

I dont think it'll be called black ops 2 but they need a new time period as its evantually going to go into the modern warfare times, but i don't see where they can go with it

How about a health system that actually generates tension? Sequenced regenerative HP like in Just Cause 2.

How about a plot that is not beyond stupid? (Russia invades all of Europe... sure)

How about a decent PC version? Tried MW3 MP this weekend, can't play for longer than 30 minutes. Narrow FOV ftw!

I think they should most definitely stick with the Cold War period. There aren't that many games set in that immensely interesting time, let alone big AAA titles. If anything, they should tone down the weapons and give us a more authentic arsenal for the period. It would also be fun to see a glimpse of the Korean conflict, or the many proxy wars in Africa and South America.

Make it a tactical espionage game. You would think they would have already done that with a title containing the words "black ops"; but they didn't.

Forlong:
Make it a tactical espionage game. You would think they would have already done that with a title containing the words "black ops"; but they didn't.

I think that was a common misconception: black ops doesn't mean stealth espionage, it means operations that involve a measure of deniability and are performed outside the usual military hierarchy. It doesn't mean it's stealthy. The Bay of Pigs was a black op. And it wasn't exactly stealth based.

we need more map and weapon balance for this game

and please keep the "get kill" from last stand guy if you're the one who put him in that state and someone else finishes him off because IW took that feature out of MW3

I hope we can fight in Korea,Africa or South America. Because it needs to be more than just fighting Russians again.

ForgottenPr0digy:
we need more map and weapon balance for this game

and please keep the "get kill" from last stand guy if you're the one who put him in that state and someone else finishes him off because IW took that feature out of MW3

I hope we can fight in Korea,Africa or South America. Because it needs to be more than just fighting Russians again.

Well, in its defence, it IS the Cold War. If there is one period in the 20th Century that justifies fighting the Soviets, it's this one. I just wish they could move on from it in the other games set in different time periods.

Need more personal custimization in Multiplayer. Not just weapons, but body structures, clothing, etc.

I liked where Treyarch went with the emblem creator, now we just need more things like that.

more customisation is always good but I dont think they will risk any real innovation its a huge mass media product and they wont risk doing anything that may harm their sales especially while its still raking in stupid money no lets be honest there wont be much innovation the safest bet is just to make it `bigger` again, keep adding stuff.

You wont see true innovation in the series until it stops selling in such huge quantities sad but true that being said I am biased I would say the last innovation in FPS came when Halo was released and it is a much more specific subgen than most to boot i.e you cant innovate much within it in comparison to most other (sub)genres unless you make it a hybrid ofc, imo (just like fighters) I think the FPS should take timeout to renew itself.

Since killing Russians is in, let us play Mujahideen guerillas in Aghanistan.

Shit, if they have to be American protags, let us play CIA operatives operating in conjunction with the Mujahideen.

Honestly? I dont want them to innovate. I still want a polished Modern Warfare 2 or a polished Black Ops, and nothing else. They have a good formula nailed down, there is 0 need to change it. MW3 showed us what happens when you mess with the action to much.

So, what I want from the next COD title:

No more fucking pointstreaks. Giving you points for shooting down UAVs? Fine. Having "kill"streaks stack no matter how many times you die? Fuck. That.

No deathstreaks.

No COD Elite bullshit.

More customization in the sense that you can make your own camo.

Bring back the currency system.

MAKE UAV A 5 KILLSTREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheKasp:
How about a decent PC version? Tried MW3 MP this weekend, can't play for longer than 30 minutes. Narrow FOV ftw!

Treyarch has, until now, been kinder to the PC crowd. You could change the FOV in Black Ops (be it through an .ini) and the game had dedicated servers that counted XP.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and we need some kind of anti-knife perk if nothing else. Tired of these damn noobs running around with a tac knife exploiting bad connections.

ANOTHER EDIT: Oh yeah, how would you guys feel about a built in random class generator? Random class generators were always a ton of fun in MW2 and Black Ops so might as well build it into the game.

1) No killstreaks
2) No deathstreaks
3) Add tanks, helicopters, and jets
4) Shift focus to teamwork
5) Larger teams
6) New engine

UAV definitely needs to be a higher killstreak, like Smash said. Customization is the only thing really keeping CoD alive at this point.

If all the guns feel similar, I'm fine with that. I'm so amazed at how they manage to let some of this overpowered crap get passed, it's legitimately laughable at this point.

Uh, mess with the UI a little bit? That's always nifty. Put more effort into the Bare Bones playlists. Because it's actually pretty fun when you don't have to worry about Killstreaks.

And... C'mon with the Singleplayer guys. Put a little effort into it. Mix it up a bit. Try a slower paced, yet more intense go around this time. CoD4 managed to allow you to feel like Rambo with it still being believable. It's clear after about 5 games that you can't reciprocate that. So try something new.

Keep it classy with the multi-cultural teams. Play as defecting Russians (providing they're the enemy again)

Edit: Oh, and obviously, fix the knife. Make it an animation like Battlefield and Halo did.

Scorekeeper:
1) No killstreaks
2) No deathstreaks
3) Add tanks, helicopters, and jets
4) Shift focus to teamwork
5) Larger teams
6) New engine

Ha i see what you did there , clever.

OT: Not call it black ops2 for one . How about an american civil war. No russians , no terrorists , just America vs America . Just an idea.

Think it'd be a matter of tweaking rather than radically changing gameplay, implicating a stealth system into CoD probably wouldn't pay off (and I've not often seen stealth work in first person), but including the option for different approaches to conflict would definitely improve on the weak areas in the Black Ops campaign (ie more open areas, multiple paths).

As for multiplayer, again, sone tweaking would do a world of good, the currency system has its positives and negatives, but the contracts at least encourage switching up and around with classes/weapons.

and thirdly, I hope they leave out Zombies for this one; it was damn near perfect in World at War, started to become a little laboured in Black Ops, I can imagine it'd all be downhill from there.

Personally I'd like to see a complete overhaul of the engine and gaming system. Then again I'd also like to see a world without religion so I suppose for the time being I need to adjust my expectations.

Black Ops was the first CoD with multiplayer that I really enjoyed. I never have been a fan of the IW's steep reward curve and forcing players into incredibly unbalanced matches. I thought Black Ops system of currency was brilliant and really helped to level the playing field and not leave the game so uninviting for noobs. I also enjoyed the implementation of local bot play, because it allows the player to practice and learn the maps at their own pace as opposed to being thrown into matches where everyone else knows the maps like they know their ABCs and wipe you out while you're still trying to figure out where the hell everything is.

Sadly I think the best that Treyarch can do is just improve on what was good, fix/remove what didn't work, and DON'T try to emulate the style of the Modern Warfare series.

I think it'd be very innovative if Treyarch launched their entire headquarters into the Sun.

Black Ops 2 will not be as good as any entry in the MW series. That's obvious. Treyarch has shown a complete lack of understanding when it comes to building a solid game engine. See: bad hit detection in every title they've ever made.

Incoming BlOps fanboys saying "hit detection is fine, L2P".

TsunamiWombat:
Since killing Russians is in, let us play Mujahideen guerillas in Aghanistan.

Shit, if they have to be American protags, let us play CIA operatives operating in conjunction with the Mujahideen.

Oh snap, that would be awesome. "For this mission, you have to deliver this shipment of guns to the Afgani insurgens, teach them how to ambush patrols, make IED's and use rocket launchers, and while you're at it broker an arms deal with Iraq, we want to give them some weapons of mass destruction."

Honestly, I think there's not much you could do with the formula without totally ruining it, but there is plenty that can be tightened up on:
Larger maps, so snipers are actually able to snipe with.
A more intuitive spawning system, so you don't get constantly blindsided by having the guy you shot respawn 5 feet behind you
Better balanced weapons. Give each weapon one major strength and one major weakness, so you don't end up with having 400 available guns, but everyone only using that one assault rifle that has been given the highest damage, accuracy, rate of fire and range of any other gun.
more balanced grenades/rocket launchers. Unfortunately with regenerating health a grenade that doesn't outright kill somebody is practically useless, so they have been given rediculous ranges that lead to grenade spamming the tiny maps a stupidly effective strategy. This could be combated by having some sort of secondary damage, like "shrapnel damage" that gives you bleeding damage, so your maximum health is permanently reduced until you perform a complicated action to specially heal yourself (e.g. bandaging)
I would also like to see overall damage reduced and maybe movement speed increased (so you have a bit of a chance to defend yourself against someone else if they open fire first)

MetallicaRulez0:
I think it'd be very innovative if Treyarch launched their entire headquarters into the Sun.

Black Ops 2 will not be as good as any entry in the MW series. That's obvious. Treyarch has shown a complete lack of understanding when it comes to building a solid game engine. See: bad hit detection in every title they've ever made.

Incoming BlOps fanboys saying "hit detection is fine, L2P".

Umm... ok. Nice "incoming" thing and all, I'm sure that helps your argument.

In any case, I enjoyed the Black Ops campaign. Certainly more than the one in MW2. It felt better, more frenetic, with better maps. Less spectacular, but certainly better paced.

TheKasp:

How about a plot that is not beyond stupid? (Russia invades all of Europe... sure)

It's not that far fetched, actually. Russia has over a million troops, and an ultranationalist version would probably push that up by another 500,000 or so. Assume the Russians hit the Americans with, say, 950,000 in MW2. That means they'd have 550,000 left to take a Europe that no longer had nearly as many troops as would be necessary. And let's not forget about the troops Makarov could've committed. He must have had a few thousand willing to do what regular soldiers would not.
OT: I'd like to see customisable facepaint and gun camouflage. I'm talking about saying 'Yeah, I like the pattern you get with Berlin camo, but what if I change the colours to, say, red and black?' (which I swear they promised in Black Ops).

It would also be interesting the see the other side. I have a lot of "what if" WWIII books, but one of my favorites is "Red Army", which shows an invasion of Europe from the perspective of several Soviet characters, who feel justified in their invasion, and see it as a preemptive strike to an inevitable NATO attack.

The book follows Soviet ground soldiers, ground attack pilots, political commissars, generals and so on, as they take on several European nations.

The Americans enter the ground war just as the book ends and NATO surrenders. This would make for a far more interesting game than yet another "stop the evil Soviets" game.

It says a lot that historically speaking, NATO had several plans for a strike against Soviet forces, but the Soviets never actually planned for an invasion of Europe.

How about NDAA in America going out of control, the government branding most of Americans as terrorists, and then you can shoot Americans all day long? Heck, add a few sections where you're allowed to control drone aircraft and are able to launch hellfire missiles into 'civilian' crowds. Is it a terrible suggestion? Probably. But I'm not sure how many more foreigners are left for them to kill by the hundreds.

Oh jesus, now that the MW series is over we're looking to Treyarch to continue on with the new series?!? ... It's only gunna get worse from here people.

They could:
- a new engine
- focus on the single player
- interesting and fun to use weapons with lots of variety
- stop glorifying america (I say this as a resident of the u.s)
- sprawling non linear levels
- no regenerating health
- vehicle sections that are not rail shooters
- stop being realistic

how about they stop with COD altogether and make a different game altogether?

Give you an option to mute all mics so you don't have to listen to them even if they come in after you switched it on.

Not much else is gona be changed but can they at least do that.

Jakub324:
It's not that far fetched, actually. Russia has over a million troops, and an ultranationalist version would probably push that up by another 500,000 or so. Assume the Russians hit the Americans with, say, 950,000 in MW2. That means they'd have 550,000 left to take a Europe that no longer had nearly as many troops as would be necessary. And let's not forget about the troops Makarov could've committed. He must have had a few thousand willing to do what regular soldiers would not.
OT: I'd like to see customisable facepaint and gun camouflage. I'm talking about saying 'Yeah, I like the pattern you get with Berlin camo, but what if I change the colours to, say, red and black?' (which I swear they promised in Black Ops).

It's not only farfetched, it's impossible to invade all of Europe in one hit. Britain has ~100k soldiers, Germany 200k, switzerland 170k, France 340k. Even if we assume that Russia somehow splits their army reasonable according to the countries they are invading, they are still far too small to making it more than a weak attempt defeated after their first strike. After that, with the help of the USA, Russia would be crushed from all sides.

This plot only works if all of Europe is run by monkeys.

I've been thinking about this for a while and it probably won't be in Black Ops 2, but i would love to see a Call of Duty type of FPS set during the Winter War and Continuation War between Finland and Russia. That'd be pretty damn awesome. That or a revolutionary war FPS. You fire once and then get to spend 30 seconds reloading :P

Give you the at least 30 seconds break without shooting once in the game.

As a great man once said "if the action neaver lets up then we have nothing to compare it to".

You know what would be a huge step in the right direction?

Ending the series.

TheKasp:
Narrow FOV ftw!

lest we forget the buttfuck twitchy aiming

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked