Dark Souls facts

Pages 1 2 NEXT

well you know, "facts" in my opinion always.

1. The most annoying area of the game is Catacombs and the most annoying enemy Pinwheel Skeletons.
2. The hardest boss battle is Smough and Ornstein, especially if you want to kill Smough first.
3. The most useful item in the game is Lordvessel.
4. The most "cult figure" is probably Knight Solaire.
5. The most attractive female presence in the game is Gwynevere. But that's a matter of personal taste of course.

Thoughts?

Cool. I guess I agree with a few of them.
So... what do we talk about now?

hazabaza1:

Pendants. Let's talk about Pendants. That's my favorite Dark Souls topic at least.

Rheinmetall:

1. The most annoying area of the game is Catacombs and the most annoying enemy Pinwheel Skeletons.
2. The hardest boss battle is Smough and Ornstein, especially if you want to kill Smough first.
5. The most attractive female presence in the game is Gwynevere. But that's a matter of personal taste of course.

Thoughts?

I disagree with this actually. I found Blighttown much more annoying than the Catacombs, but that's just me.

Also: Yeah, fuck Smough and Ornstein. They were very difficult, and I was SO happy when I finally beat them!

AlternatePFG:

hazabaza1:

Pendants. Let's talk about Pendants. That's my favorite Dark Souls topic at least.

I've never found a Pendant in Dark Souls. Some talismans, but no pendants.

hazabaza1:

AlternatePFG:

hazabaza1:

You can only get the Pendant as a gift at the beginning of the game. An explanation for those who don't know, it has no apparent use, except if you give it Smuggly you get a Souvenir of Reprisal which isn't rare at all. So people have theorized on what other uses it has, as the developers have hinted that it does something else.

Rheinmetall:

Close: Valley of the Giants is way worse.

Giant skeleton dogs in the darkness = more deaths to me than any other area.

Tomb of Giants is far worse than Catacombs. Surprisingly, Stray Demon was and still is the hardest boss for me to beat (I took a solid dump on Firesage though). FatboySlim took me 3 tries, as opposed to the 15 million tries it took me for the Stray Demon.

And Iron Tarkus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else.

Spears are awesome for a very long time.

Sorry OP, but like Skin, I had the most trouble with the Stray Demon. Not that Smough and Ornstein are easy, of course.

Pinwheels are definitely annoying, but I think those slimes hanging from the ceiling in The Depths were obnoxious as well. I rarely had any trouble with them, but it's just irritating that they're there.

Rheinmetall:

1. No, Tomb of Giants due to the skeleton beasts. I always have the Sunlight Maggot by that point so the dark doesn't bother me, but those damn skeletons. Bleh. Blighttown is a close second. The place is a nightmare to navigate, and then you've got the poison swamp and mosquitoes to contend with at the bottom. It's like From Software made Blighttown specifically to fuck with the player. Also, Pinwheels are easy, man. They have like, no health and their fireballs are super easy to dodge. Unless you meant the spiked wheel skeletons, which also are very easy; sidestep, attack, repeat. Easy.

2. Smores and Oreos aren't hard, man. It's an easy fight, just a really LONG one. Like the Gaping Dragon. It just drags out, and then people get impatient and end up screwing themselves. Personally, I thought the Iron Golem was harder, if only because that son of a bitch somehow always managed to auto-snap onto me for his grab unless I was standing on the other side of the room. It's just so much easier to skip the headache of being repeatedly tossed over the edge and let Iron Tarkus solo the fight for me.

3. Nope. Master Key.

4. Well, that's pretty obvious.

5. Nope again. Nobody cares about Gwynevere, everybody just cares about Gwynevere's enormous titties. Besides, she doesn't count because she's just an illusion created by Gwyndolin and the real Gwynevere looks nothing like that. Personally, I think Priscilla is way hotter anyway.

Skin:
Tomb of Giants is far worse than Catacombs. Surprisingly, Stray Demon was and still is the hardest boss for me to beat (I took a solid dump on Firesage though). FatboySlim took me 3 tries, as opposed to the 15 million tries it took me for the Stray Demon.

And Iron Tarkus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else.

I think it's a tie between Catacombs and Tomb of Giants. Usually one tries Catacombs relatively early in the game and experiences an enormous frustration with the skeletons mobs and the Pinwheel skeletons. Tomb of Giants is harder because almost every enemy in there can kill you with one hit, but there are two bonfires placed in convenient spots and that's something.
Stray Demon is hard too I agree, until you figure out that you need to constantly run in a circle around him and always try to hit him from behind. FatboySlim is a pain as every dual boss battle in Demon's Souls/Dark Souls.

s69-5:

Rheinmetall:

What was the area that one had the most deaths in: that's interesting. With the exception of Undead Burg early in the game before I got used to the game's philosophy, in my case I think it was the Lost Izalith, because of the Bed of Chaos. Maybe 20 times, or more until I managed to cross that damn second path.

Samechiel:
3. Nope. Master Key.

I really don't understand people infatuation with the Master Key. At the beginning of the game, the only good thing it's ever done for me is unlock a house with Gold Pine Resin inside. Everywhere else it unlocked were areas I had very little chance of survival. Okay, it would unlock Knight Lautrec's cell but I never once didn't pick up the Mystery Key anyway.

1. I think the worst part in the game is the Anor Londo archers.. Anor Londo itself is a cakewalk, but that one spot is the most infuriating part in the entire game. There's still no real foolproof way to deal with it.

2. I have never died against Ornstein & Smough, but that's because I've never tried to solo them. I've always summoned Solaire or a friend. But I have tried to solo Lord Gywn 10x, and I've never been able to beat him, he's just too aggressive and his attacks just never seem to end.

3. Lordvessel. Definately.

4. Yeah, Solaire is the most prevelant

5. Nonesense. As someone already said, Gywnevere's not even real (you don't even get any souls if you kill her). The hottest chick is Quelaag, the human torso part... Damn!

Skopintsev:

Samechiel:
3. Nope. Master Key.

I really don't understand people infatuation with the Master Key. At the beginning of the game, the only good thing it's ever done for me is unlock a house with Gold Pine Resin inside. Everywhere else it unlocked were areas I had very little chance of survival. Okay, it would unlock Knight Lautrec's cell but I never once didn't pick up the Mystery Key anyway.

It lets you skip the Capra Demon, the Sewers, Blighttown, and some of the Swamp if you want to.

Rheinmetall:

I wanted to get Ornstein's armour, so I very much agree with this.

I ended up toxic-ing him with dung pies then running away from him until he died. It took a whole 15 minutes of fleeing.

And somehow, I still felt proud of the victory.

I am also dreading the Catacombs in my current playthrough. Idiot that I am, I accidentally attacked the blacksmith before I could get a divine weapon (also screwing up my chances for a +15 thief blade... damn!!!) so the skeletons will not be fun.

1. Nope. Ghosts. Just ghosts. They come out of the walls and shit. It's horrible. Also, blighttown is kinda terrible.

2. Nope. As said before me, it's just really a long fight. Smough has very little health if you kill him first. He's super squishy. Iron golem was easy too, by the way. 100% physical reduction shield, go! Stray demon? No problemo. Stay behind him, and you can easily get a few hits in every time he casts his explosion spells.

3. Nope. Estus flask. Because neither the lordvessel, nor the master key will save your ass during a hard fight, while the estus flask will.

4. Well duh, of course he is.

5. I disagree. I think Priscilla is more attractive. I'm quite angry at one of my friends who decided I should kill her, leaned over and pressed the attack button while I was talking to her.

Bebus:

Rheinmetall:

I wanted to get Ornstein's armour, so I very much agree with this.

I ended up toxic-ing him with dung pies then running away from him until he died. It took a whole 15 minutes of fleeing.

And somehow, I still felt proud of the victory.

I am also dreading the Catacombs in my current playthrough. Idiot that I am, I accidentally attacked the blacksmith before I could get a divine weapon (also screwing up my chances for a +15 thief blade... damn!!!) so the skeletons will not be fun.

After endless efforts, bitter tears, anger and frustration (lol) to kill Smough first and super-Ornstein second, I realized that the easiest way to kill Ornstein is to hit him from a safe distance with Soul Arrows. (with about 30 Magic that is) All you have to do is lock on him from a distance, cast the arrow spells and dodge his lightning attacks. You have all the time to dodge because you see it coming, like two seconds before. It took me almost a week to figure it out, but better late than never.

As for the Skeleton blacksmith in the catacombs, if you haven't killed him yet there is hope! Go to the NPC inside the church where you fought the twin gargoyles and ask for absolution. It will cost you a lot of souls, but this action will remove all NPC hostility.

1. blighttown is the worst area it really is a fitting name for being such a blight to a great game, most annoying enemy is the wheel skeletons.
2. i fucking hated the capra demon but other then that it has to be the final boss.
3. Nope esuts flask.
4. sunbro solair.
5. i always thought the way of white girl you find in the tomb of giants was quite atractive.

I disagree with your fifth point. The hottest chick is definitely Quelaag.

Samechiel:
2. Smores and Oreos aren't hard, man. It's an easy fight, just a really LONG one. Like the Gaping Dragon. It just drags out, and then people get impatient and end up screwing themselves. Personally, I thought the Iron Golem was harder, if only because that son of a bitch somehow always managed to auto-snap onto me for his grab unless I was standing on the other side of the room. It's just so much easier to skip the headache of being repeatedly tossed over the edge and let Iron Tarkus solo the fight for me.

It's funny how people's experiences with boss fights go so far apart. I thought the Iron Golem was a total cakewalk, while Smough and Ornstein kicked my ass repeatedly. (until I found Solaire's summoning sign, DOH!) Of course, I've played as a sorcerer, which makes a huge difference when fighting bosses, mostly making them much much easier.

Argtee:

Rheinmetall:

Thoughts?

I disagree with this actually. I found Blighttown much more annoying than the Catacombs, but that's just me.

Also: Yeah, fuck Smough and Ornstein. They were very difficult, and I was SO happy when I finally beat them!

Wrong. Tomb of the Giants was the worst stage, period. Unless you actually went out of your way to research it and find the maggot helm, those skeleton dogs wrecked your shit. Blighttown just suffered from lag.

Also: Pyromancy wrecked Fatboy Slim's shit too. The toughest boss would probably be Four Kings in New Game+, the most annoying one being Bed of Chaos.

AlternatePFG:
You can only get the Pendant as a gift at the beginning of the game. An explanation for those who don't know, it has no apparent use, except if you give it Smuggly you get a Souvenir of Reprisal which isn't rare at all. So people have theorized on what other uses it has, as the developers have hinted that it does something else.

You can also strip it from Rhea's cold, lifeless corpse if you didn't meet her in the church in time.

Samechiel:

5. Nope again. Nobody cares about Gwynevere, everybody just cares about Gwynevere's enormous titties. Besides, she doesn't count because she's just an illusion created by Gwyndolin and the real Gwynevere looks nothing like that. Personally, I think Priscilla is way hotter anyway.

We prefer to call it "Amazing Chest Ahead", but yeah.

Gottesstrafe:
The toughest boss would probably be Four Kings in New Game+, the most annoying one being Bed of Chaos.

I agree 100% in both. While I think super-Ornstein is a pain, in NG+ the Four Kings can be mission impossible.
Also I almost had a nervous break down yesterday while trying for two hours to get pass that second cracked floor in Bed of Chaos. Nightmare.

Samechiel:
Besides, she doesn't count because she's just an illusion created by Gwyndolin and the real Gwynevere looks nothing like that. Personally, I think Priscilla is way hotter anyway.

Hmm?

Yes she does.

What else would explain the painting in one of the bedrooms and statues of her that look like her illusion?

I'm sure the real Gywnevere looks like that. It's just that you don't meet her at all, only her illusion. And yes she still counts.

Though I have to agree, I also think Priscilla is far more beautiful.

Rheinmetall:

Gottesstrafe:
The toughest boss would probably be Four Kings in New Game+, the most annoying one being Bed of Chaos.

Also I almost had a nervous break down yesterday while trying for two hours to get pass that second cracked floor in Bed of Chaos. Nightmare.

Just use a bow and some arrows!

Rheinmetall:

Thoughts?

1) I've played the game so many times I can't really pick out a most annoying area since all of them has something that makes them annoying.

But yes. I can completely agree about those pricks. It's even worse when playing without a good amount of poise.
2) Eh, again I've played it so many times that getting through boss fights are now pretty much a matter of figuring out what I can do and making it work with a particular strategy I use a lot.

Except the Four Kings in NG+. Fuck that.
3) How could you forget the estus flasks?!
4) Brolaire <3
5) For me it's Priscilla, like I said earlier.

Rheinmetall:
As for the Skeleton blacksmith in the catacombs, if you haven't killed him yet there is hope! Go to the NPC inside the church where you fought the twin gargoyles and ask for absolution. It will cost you a lot of souls, but this action will remove all NPC hostility.

I really, really wish I had known this before now. I pretty much resigned myself to him being hostile so killed him to see if he had any good stuff.

He didn't.

Dark Souls thread without any mention of Jolly Cooperation?

I can't take this...

Facts

1.You will die
2.You will die
3.You will die
4.You will die
5.You will die

Albeit, I'm pretty close to beating it, but gads have I ever gotten slain in this game.

Rheinmetall:

Thoughts?

1. I'm actually finding the Archives to be a lot more annoying than the Catacombs. Bloody crystal hollows and a sorceror that respawns at the entrance isn't funny. Also Frogs or Basiisks if you will are the most annoying enemy for me. Even though there have been a distinct lack of them lately.

2. Four Kings. Four Kings. Four Kings. *continues with his gibbering*

3. Nah it only goes to a select few bonfires which I find really sucks as the item description distinctly says "enables travel to any bonfire". Item wise I'd say Estus flasks and Weapon wise Drake sword. Great starting weapon for the first half of the game.

4. Anyone for some Jolly Co-Operation!

5. Well the most attractive illusion by far but I'd have to say the White Spider witch was more attractive (even with all the injuries). Priscilla is a painting after all and I'm afraid how much she will mess up my game if I go attack her.

Also best place to get 100K of souls in 20 minutes or less is by killing the forest guardians near the forest covenant.
And swearing loudly at the screen due to a ledge death is a must.

AlternatePFG:

I think it might have had something to do with getting the Old witchs Ring. If not that then there was someone that would accept it just can't remember who.

AlternatePFG:

hazabaza1:

I bet it was just an inside joke by the devs, surely by now someone would have stumbled on its true purpose otherwise.
Had a few NG+'s with a pendant in my inv and never noticed anything different.

Also Ornstein + Smaugh on NG+ without any assistance is bloody horrible. Especially with those bastard knights outside.

Nile McMorrow:

I think it might have had something to do with getting the Old witchs Ring. If not that then there was someone that would accept it just can't remember who.

You can get the pendant during the game as well by: (excuse my inability to remember characters names) rescuing that priestess from the giants tomb but NOT talking to her once she's in the undead cathedral. After a while she'll be murdered by the guy who teaches you miracles, then you can loot the pendant off her body.

In my opinion, Blighttown is tougher, and Quelag is hotter. But, like I said, my opinion.

Hardest boss is the Four Kings, IMO.

Catacombs is easy since you can easily just drop down to the lower areas, assuming you have flipped the spiked walkwats.

Tomb of the Giants is also easy if you have Sunlight Maggot, Ring of Fog and a Homing spell.

Blighttown is easy if you take the shortcut, you can skip like 90% of it.

The one area I truly loathe is New Londo Ruins, those ghosts are so damn cheap.

Also, pendant can be obtained even if you don't pick it as a starting gift.

Fuck Capra in the face. I actually sold my copy of Dark Souls because of that fight. I refused to be a punching bag for an extremely cheap fight. I did eventually beat him, and it held almost no joy for me, but i still sold Dark Souls. Demon's Souls to me is superior due to atmosphere. Flame all you like, but nothing beats playin on NG+++ with a Large Sword of Moonlight and Bramd, and roll killing most everything. It's great fun

1) Definitely Tomb of the Giants with Blighttown being a close runner up.

2) I thought Gwyn was the hardest, then after I beat him I saw videos of people beating him in less than a minute because you can fucking parry and poof, the illusion is gone. Now I think Ornstein and Smough might be, but I need to try soloing them again.

3) Toss up between the Estus Flask and the Lordvessel. If we're talking weapons, the Pyromancy Flame has gotten me through some tough spots, like Tomb of the Giants and soloing Nito on my second try without any Divine or Occult weapons.

4) Our bro, Solaire. So upset that I did everything right on his path except the final step on my first playthrough.

5) My character. She's a bad bitch that has killed them all.

Rheinmetall:

s69-5:

Rheinmetall:

What was the area that one had the most deaths in: that's interesting. With the exception of Undead Burg early in the game before I got used to the game's philosophy, in my case I think it was the Lost Izalith, because of the Bed of Chaos. Maybe 20 times, or more until I managed to cross that damn second path.

I gotta ask, what gave you so much trouble? I only died twice fighting the Bed of Chaos, and both times were "Oh that section of floor opens up? I wish I had known that pre-roll." I went right then left. For the left I just hugged the wall and jumped over a small gap to approach. Easy stuff. Not trying to brag, just curious as to why you had so much trouble with it.

I'm at the start of Sen's Fortess, the lizard warriors are kicking my ass. Any tips? (light warrior with slightly upgraded utchi)
Blighttown wasn't that bad. Capra Demon was horrible, same with the gargoyles. They sucked too.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked