My excellent game idea

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I was watching a friend play Battlefield 3 the other day and I had a fantastic idea for a game. It's a modern military shooter in the Call of Battlefield vein, except you have a jetpack and a detachable head, and the enemies are a race of armadillo-men from a city inside the moon, and most of the action takes place on the moon, except every third level is a flashback to the main character at Badass Academy, where he was picked on for being different (ie. having a detachable head). Gameplay is likewise similar to most military shooters, but the jetpack allows aerial combat and you can scout out new areas by detaching your head and floating down air vents and what-not. It's like Modern Warfare meets Whizkid. There will be one section where your head has been paralysed and is lying in front of a screen connected to security cameras, and you have to walk your body back to your head while watching it through the cameras, evading the armadillo-man patrols. You have special grenades that cause prismatic bursts of rainbow-coloured light (because the only colours armadillo-men can tolerate are brown and grey) and the last boss is a giant lens flare.

I think this is exactly what the genre needs right now.

What do you think, escapists? And do you have any cool game ideas of your own?

write up a pitch document and Ill have a think and give you my assessment.

Armadillos are overpowered.
Not enough Dinosaurs.
No deal.

So, in other words, its nothing like Call of Battlefield. Calling a game "realistic" when it contains a character with a detachable head and armadillo-men on the moon is a bit inaccurate.

Does actually sound amusing though.

Forlong:
So, in other words, its nothing like Call of Battlefield. Calling a game "realistic" when it contains a character with a detachable head and armadillo-men on the moon is a bit inaccurate.

Does actually sound amusing though.

Well like I said, I think it's what the genre needs: to be totally different from how it is at the moment.

;)

BENZOOKA:
Not enough Dinosaurs.
No deal.

Maybe there will be dinosaurs in the DLC.

Hides His Eyes:

BENZOOKA:
Not enough Dinosaurs.
No deal.

No.

Shamus Young:
4. DLC shouldn't be integral to the experience.

This one is a little subjective, but basically you shouldn't need to purchase DLC to get a full experience. Lack of DLC shouldn't leave plot holes, loose ends, and the feeling that stuff is "missing" from the core game. Think of it like deleted scenes in a movie. The movie should still make sense and come to a satisfying conclusion without them.

Source

It needs something whacky. Can you have a sidekick who's actually a talking bipedal moose? But then it turns out he was created in a horrific government experiment. Make it gritty and funny at the same time.

Then slap some tits on every third character, Gold.

BENZOOKA:

Hides His Eyes:

BENZOOKA:
Not enough Dinosaurs.
No deal.

No.

Shamus Young:
4. DLC shouldn't be integral to the experience.

This one is a little subjective, but basically you shouldn't need to purchase DLC to get a full experience. Lack of DLC shouldn't leave plot holes, loose ends, and the feeling that stuff is "missing" from the core game. Think of it like deleted scenes in a movie. The movie should still make sense and come to a satisfying conclusion without them.

Source

It's a very good rule, but I don't consider dinosaurs integral to this game. I don't think you have enough faith in my armadillo-men.

Cobalt Cobalt:
It needs something whacky. Can you have a sidekick who's actually a talking bipedal moose? But then it turns out he was created in a horrific government experiment. Make it gritty and funny at the same time.

Wait... armadillo-men and a detachable flying head isn't whacky enough for you?

Considering how stagnated the gaming industry is getting. I'd buy it probably.

Hides His Eyes:

Cobalt Cobalt:

Wait... armadillo-men and a detachable flying head isn't whacky enough for you?

I agree somewhat with Cobalt Cobalt - needs more wacky. Think about it, the moon armadillo men attack and the military finds a guy with a detachable head and go "Yup, that's our man". There is so much more potential. Maybe there wasn't a single human being with special powers, in fact, chances are there wasn't[1] - I'd like to see exactly what the other candidates could do that "detachable head" sounded like the best idea. The Badass Academy sections can focus on them. I don't know, exactly what the other people would be - a guy with tentacles for eyebrows?

[1] There is a guy with a detachable head. And Armadillo men. From the moon. There is lots of room for other stuff.

The Armadillo Men should wear turbans and wield AK-47s, also, your main character should have a shocking unexpected death scene after every corner, only to be quickly replaced by an identical soldier with identical abilities (we'll just chalk his presence up to a recent recruitment drive.)
Then in the end you find out that *spoiler* You were hallucinating, and you were actually the moon all along.

Also, you didn't mention any multiplayer. You need a completely arbitrary and tacked on multiplayer that has the bare minimum number of tiny, badly planned maps, a crap spawning formula, extra abilities that completely unbalance the gameplay (so there are no stalemates) and some sort of zombie mode.

Not GrimDark enough. Instead of detachable heads and armadillo's, make the enemies Russian. And instead of flashbacks to an academy, make it flashbacks of the Cold War. And instead of jetpacks, have a permanent Iron Sight.

But seriously, I want to play a game where you the character are a heroic neutrophil fighting against the hordes of infections that your "body" accumulates, only to realize you are a product of leukemia and indeed kill the "body" - MASSIVE PLOT TWIST!!! BEST STORY EVER. MANLY TEARS.

dont forget the obligatory upgrade system :D

Throw your head further!
Jetpack harder!
Ability to fire your head at enemies and possess them?

I'd play this. My main sticking point, however, is the jetpack. Would it be like in Halo Reach, where it's essentially 2 extra seconds of jumping, or would be have a lot more fuel (or ideally unlimited fuel) and you can fly really fast in awesome loop-de-loops and stuff?

Also, armadillos could roll into balls and maybe run people over or they can go into the same holes as the detachable heads and run them over for easy kills or something.

Also, maybe the detachable head is actually from a different person, and the body has to communicate entirely by sign language and he'll somehow be super endearing despite the language barrier and the goal is to get the head back to his body or to his wife and kids because he's a veteran of the 3rd great Mars Badger war (there would thus be Mars Badgers) and the body can hear/see/do soldierly things because of some bizarre scifi mental connection with the head or through reasons that don't need to be explained because, honestly, look at the rest of this plot, we don't need to focus too much on little unexplained plotholes.

I'd play this game, but I feel you have to go super absurd but to still play everything straight

Skin:
Not GrimDark enough. Instead of detachable heads and armadillo's, make the enemies Russian. And instead of flashbacks to an academy, make it flashbacks of the Cold War. And instead of jetpacks, have a permanent Iron Sight.

But seriously, I want to play a game where you the character are a heroic neutrophil fighting against the hordes of infections that your "body" accumulates, only to realize you are a product of leukemia and indeed kill the "body" - MASSIVE PLOT TWIST!!! BEST STORY EVER. MANLY TEARS.

Oh, Man, I would play this so fucking hard.

You lost me at 'modern military shooter'. I didn't read the fine print afterwards.

I can't tell if you are actually asking if this sounds like a good idea for a flash game or just asking on how we could improve CoD. Either way, I want it. Some of my favorite games are the Serious Sam series and Painkiller (the first one obviously) and this kind of wacky, over the top gaming is what we need more of.

Anyway, I actually like the detachable head mechanic. The stealth missions that could allow for are unlimited. Laser vision? And jetpacks. Something like a not-shitty version of Shattered Horizon would be awesome, where everyone can fly around and use floating cover (that explodes I'm sure).

Needs moar ninjas.

Maybe someone should make a prototype of this.

I like it... You could add in a gun that fires skittles, and turns the armadillo's into fruit, thus causing further detriment to the armadillo friendly asthetic environment... You could have a multiplayer mode similar to the Tony Hawks games where you have to rainbow-colour as many thingson the map, by doing something to them (like stab them or something) and the other team are trying to turn everything brown... figting for territory the olf fashioned way... with paint! (not piss)

Needs a cheshire cat to guide you along the way......What?

:3

I have never heard anything so "out there" yet down to earth (pun intended)
Honestly, I would love to see what an armadillo-man looks like.

BENZOOKA:
Not enough Dinosaurs.
No deal.

I agree with this person.
Please Sir....I want some more. Dinosaur!

In my day we had a name for the genre that that game would be in, and it wasn't 'modern military shooter'.
It was called a first-person shooter.

Well, it's original, I'll give you that.

you sound like a pro. That's not a good thing.

Hero in a half shell:
your main character should have a shocking unexpected death scene after every corner, only to be quickly replaced by an identical soldier with identical abilities (we'll just chalk his presence up to a recent recruitment drive.)

I know you are "slightly" sarcastic there (I hope) but I am still going to reply to say you are partly correct!

He should have an unexpected death scene after every corner, but always come back to life in some weird way. For example, first he can get blown to bits, and then some random dude just comes and stitches him back up, "See he is fine! The stitches are impeccible! You can almost believe he was created in a sweatshop in China!". Second death he can be melted in lava, but the lava is later poured into a mold of him, which returns him to life, and so this goes on until... BAM! The grim reaper himself comes up to him and tells him to bugger off because he is fed up with him coming back to life all the bloody time!

After that, no more death scenes. :(

Well, NeverDead beat you to the detachable head bit... I think it might also have armadillo-men... wait a minute... I'm certain I saw a moon in there too!

How about a stealth fps but you don't have a gun. You can freerun in a dark fantasy setting. Make it an mmo and have the main goal to steal stuff and you have to build and hide your stuff in a base/hideout that can be customized with guards and traps but the catch is before making your hideout, you have to infiltrate it yourself to make sure (balancing wise) that it's possible for others to raid.

Doesn't sound that interesting, I mean it's a bit crazy but not enough to make it interesting and it doesn't sound like there is much gameplay gimmicks or innovations to make it fun at all.

Most of my support is based on one issue:

Are there armadillo stealth sections?

Maybe a boss that is an armadillo t-rex mix? DNA is fun to fuck around with.

Throw some Binding of Isaac into your upgrades. The more you take the more you look like the enemy.

Hides His Eyes:

It's a very good rule, but I don't consider dinosaurs integral to this game. I don't think you have enough faith in my armadillo-men.

Than your game is fail. Good Day sir...

Also, sounds very... all over the place in terms of concept and such...

NightmareLuna:

Hero in a half shell:
your main character should have a shocking unexpected death scene after every corner, only to be quickly replaced by an identical soldier with identical abilities (we'll just chalk his presence up to a recent recruitment drive.)

I know you are "slightly" sarcastic there (I hope) but I am still going to reply to say you are partly correct!

He should have an unexpected death scene after every corner, but always come back to life in some weird way. For example, first he can get blown to bits, and then some random dude just comes and stitches him back up, "See he is fine! The stitches are impeccible! You can almost believe he was created in a sweatshop in China!". Second death he can be melted in lava, but the lava is later poured into a mold of him, which returns him to life, and so this goes on until... BAM! The grim reaper himself comes up to him and tells him to bugger off because he is fed up with him coming back to life all the bloody time!

After that, no more death scenes. :(

This can be how he gains new abilities! The first time he dies, he could remove all the body parts that were blown away, and then in the second death he gains the ability to activate a flame cloak type ability!

Sounds like something Ben Yahtzee would come up with after doing a video while saying "tf2" one too many times

500 people have unique ideas in the gaming industry.
I would say make a prototype and pitch it to a game dev.
or make it entirely yourself and release it as a parody game called: Call Of Battlefield: Gears of Warfare.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked