Screw you Ubisoft, screw you!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I recently bought Settlers 7 and heroes of might and magic 6 on steam. What they threw in my face for actually paying for the fucking game was the worst piece of shitty DRM that the world has seen. EVER!
after that I said to myself "you know what ubisoft? if you want to make my experience with your game as miserable as you possibly can, i will not buy any of your shitty games with that disgrace you call DRM"

and that was before i saw the Jimquisition episode about Ubisoft. it's been a long time since i've been this angry. FUCK YOU UBISOFT, FUCK YOU!
something has to be done. i know there are plenty of these posts telling people to not buy games that are published or made by this company, BUT this has to stop and I will do my part and I swear on my Wallet's name(it doesn't really have a name) I will never buy a single game from this company again

now my fellow escapists, will you follow me on this quest to make the life of those at Ubisoft as miserable as their DRM make us until they remove the Evil known as DRM?

EDIT: i removed the Piracy statement.

While I sympathise somewhat with you sentiment, I feel I should warn you that admitting to software piracy or declaring you intent to partake in such is often ground for moderator action on this site.

Just a friendly heads-up.

Zhukov:
While I sympathise somewhat with you sentiment, I feel I should warn you that admitting to software piracy or declaring you intent to partake in such is often ground for moderator action on this site.

If he bought it, it's not piracy. He bought a legitimate copy, and with it, a license to play the game. So it's not a case of piracy, but "merely" an EULA violation.

Oh, but saying he's going to do it in the future, that's rather silly, yes. But you know what? Pirating their games won't help. Ignore them. That's what I'm doing with ME3 for example, I'm simply going to pretend it doesn't exist at all. In your face, EA!

i bought the heroes one i didn't run into any problems except when the internet decided to be stupid so no i can't

Vegosiux:

Zhukov:

If he bought it, it's not piracy. He bought a legitimate copy, and with it, a license to play the game. So it's not a case of piracy, but "merely" an EULA violation.

Oh, but saying he's going to do it in the future, that's rather silly, yes. But you know what? Pirating their games won't help. Ignore them. That's what I'm doing with ME3 for example, I'm simply going to pretend it doesn't exist at all. In your face, EA!

have fun missing out i wouldn't do it even if i didn't like the publisher since its screwing over the devs as well

Yeah, I gave up buying from Ubi, EA, and Blizzard entirely, and I don't play games that I don't buy. It sucks because I'll miss out on any Mirror's Edge sequel, but I'd rather miss out than put up with really looney drm schemes. The OP is better off with that--and telling Ubi's customer service dept. loudly and emphatically--than EULA violations or straight-up piracy.

Cyfu:

now my fellow escapists, will you follow me on this quest to make the life of those at Ubisoft as miserable as their DRM make us until they remove the Evil known as DRM?

Here is the thing....

I used think like you until I was presented with a dilemma. The DRM isn't preventing me from playing. It might be preventing you from playing, but not me.

And here is the kicker. I have at no point ever before let my purchasing decisions be made on the circumstances of other customers.

The DRM prevents you from playing? While I sympathise I dont see how it should effect my purchase if it doesn't effect me. I doubt you take into consideration other peoples gaming rigs for games that require high end computers.

That you vote with your valet is great, but please dont ask me to be angry on your behalf.

tony2077:
have fun missing out i wouldn't do it even if i didn't like the publisher since its screwing over the devs as well

Yeah, i know the devs will get screwed as well, but it's not like they aren't being screwed already. I don't know if you listen to the Podtoid podcast? Jim talks a bit about how big corporations screw devs over and i think it was Ubisoft and EA he was referring to.

Draech:

Cyfu:

Here is the thing....

I used think like you until I was presented with a dilemma. The DRM isn't preventing me from playing. It might be preventing you from playing, but not me.

And here is the kicker. I have at no point ever before let my purchasing decisions be made on the circumstances of other customers.

The DRM prevents you from playing? While I sympathise I dont see how it should effect my purchase if it doesn't effect me. I doubt you take into consideration other peoples gaming rigs for games that require high end computers.

That you vote with your valet is great, but please dont ask me to be angry on your behalf.

It's why its there that it's bothering me. it's supposed to stop their games from being pirated, but it isn't stopping them. it's just a hassle for those that bought the game legally.

tony2077:

Vegosiux:

Zhukov:

Oh wonderful, a wiseguy.

You know, I'll have fun missing out, yes. I'll just keep myself amused with something else. And yes, I know I'm screwing over the BW too, but hey, they should have developed a game I'd want to play if they want my money.

Take your attitude elsewhere, I'm in no mood for people getting all smartypants on me.

Vegosiux:

tony2077:

Vegosiux:

Oh wonderful, a wiseguy.

You know, I'll have fun missing out, yes. I'll just keep myself amused with something else. And yes, I know I'm screwing over the BW too, but hey, they should have developed a game I'd want to play if they want my money.

Take your attitude elsewhere, I'm in no mood for people getting all smartypants on me.

meh just saying the truth if you don't like it not my problem

tony2077:

Vegosiux:

tony2077:

Oh wonderful, a wiseguy.

Actually the way the industry works it isn't a lot of developers who gets paid according to how many of their games get sold. Most of them are just people who get a normal hourly wage for developing a product.

Because there are developers who self publish people seem to assume that every developer is paid according to the numbers of products sold, when in reality a lot will work under the publisher.

The food scientist who developed the twinkie got paid once his job was done, and then paid to develop the next product they should make.

Draech:

tony2077:

Vegosiux:

Oh wonderful, a wiseguy.

Actually the way the industry works it isn't a lot of developers who gets paid according to how many of their games get sold. Most of them are just people who get a normal hourly wage for developing a product.

Because there are developers who self publish people seem to assume that every developer is paid according to the numbers of products sold, when in reality a lot will work under the publisher.

The food scientist who developed the twinkie got paid once his job was done, and then paid to develop the next product they should make.

it doesn't change the fact that if it doesn't sell the chance the dev makes more is slim

tony2077:

Draech:

tony2077:

it doesn't change the fact that if it doesn't sell the chance the dev makes more is slim

as i understood it, it kind of does. they have no idea how much it will sell and they wont know that until they have paid the developer. so the developer doesn't actually lose anything, he gets paid what he has earned.

Cyfu:

tony2077:

Draech:

as i understood it, it kind of does. they have no idea how much it will sell and they wont know that until they have paid the developer. so the developer doesn't actually lose anything, he gets paid what he has earned.

so the dev gets screwed no matter what i do oh well can't win them all i'll just play what i like and leave it at that

Draech:

You don't vote with your valet. You send him/her to fetch your car.

I think the last Ubisoft game I got was Sacred 2. It merely required verification once, then I was free to play it, even without any internet connection.
What are they up to these days, since everyone are so up-in-arms about it?

Tayh:

Draech:

I dont understand that analogy. could you explain it to me?

tony2077:

Cyfu:

tony2077:

so the dev gets screwed no matter what i do oh well can't win them all i'll just play what i like and leave it at that

Its not all bad. If the developer makes a flop they dont stand with the risk since they got paid already. Then again if they stand with a hit, same thing.

The real issue is job security. And as it turn there is close to no job security even if you make a hit in this business. Kinda sad really.

What have Ubisoft published worth buying in the last few years anyway? I'm disappointed that Silent Hunter 5 has the bad DRM, but really what game with the DRM is worth a tinkers cuss? I did buy From Dust but that was precisely because it was meant to ship without the DRM. Otherwise I haven't bought a Ubisoft game until they have patched the DRM out.

Draech:

Tayh:

Draech:

I dont understand that analogy. could you explain it to me?

Draech mistyped "wallet" and Tayh poked fun of it - valet is the employee of a hotel/restaurant you leave your car with, so can park it. Afterwards they can get it back to you.

Triple A releases aren't for gamers anymore. They're for people who want the newest DRM.

Gamers look into playing games they can enjoy, rather than endure.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Triple A releases aren't for gamers anymore. They're for people who want the newest DRM.

Gamers look into playing games they can enjoy, rather than endure.

Unless of course, those gamers have consoles that can play those games. :) *goes back to playing Arkham City on his PS3*

OT: I sympathize, but with a new Ghost Recon game imminent and the possibility of BG&E2 in the future, I can't join. I will make sure to buy them for console instead of PC, will that make you feel better?

BreakfastMan:

Unless of course, those gamers have consoles that can play those games. :) *goes back to playing Arkham City on his PS3*

Yeah, it's not as if Sony has fallen foul of security measures recently...

Vegosiux:

Zhukov:

If you want I can tell you what happens at the end so there is some closure.

On Topic: I don't plan on buying any more of the games Ubisoft makes or publishes. Not because of the DRM but mainly because they just are not fun anymore. AC:R was pretty boring.

The_root_of_all_evil:

BreakfastMan:

Yeah, it's not as if Sony has fallen foul of security measures recently...

Yeah, it's not as if I have to actually connect my PS3 to the internet to play my games...

Apparently when Rayman Origins gets its Steam release later this year it wont have DRM.

I for one would not be surprised in the slightest if it did come with DRM after all, because they said the same thing about From Dust and that made a news story here for it.

And nothing else Ubisoft makes theese days is interesting enough for me to use money on it. Much less put up with a form of DRM that even EA abandoned after one game.

I agree with this type of action. If you disagree with a company, series, etc. then don't support them. Businesses listen to our money more than our words.

Even during the steam Winter sale seeing the Ubisoft logo on discounted products was a massive deal breaker.

I won't comment on whether Ubisoft published anything worth playing recently, I'd probably pick up the earlier Assassin's Creed game just to see what all the fuss is about, but they're simply not a priority.

Plus, I've been burnt enough by Steam and Microsoft over their online issues.

I've had so many situations where I'll play a game Friday Evening, show up to work 6 hours later on Sat (no internet connection) and the f****** puts me on update lock because it's apparently been a month since it checked for the last update. WTF makes updates live on a weekend, and couldn't this bitchy f**** of a program check 3 hours ago while I was playing?

That and the GFW:L, nothing like losing your saves because you don't have a connection and your online saves aren't available.

Cyfu:

What are you planning to do, TP their offices?

In genuine interest - and I'm not belittling your cause, I hate DRM and all it stands for, though I don't think you can do anything more effective than peeing in a local lake/river near their office and thinking you're polluting their drinking supply - what exactly was your problem with Settlers 7? Kinda seems an important part to leave out of your OP.

I have never had a problem with Ubisoft. Although I have never played any of their games on a computer, I always use my PS3.

You know what? I'm tired of hearing all of this bs about DRM and piracy.

It's been blown out of proportion, partly due to the jimquistion.

In my eyes, publishers and developers can do whatever they want.

Its not that big of a deal.

And piracy is wrong; It's equal to stealing and it's illegal.

So calm down, I think that there's far worse problems to worry about.

I-Protest-I:
This topic in a nutshell:

WAAAAAGH! WAAAAAAAGH!

Don't buy the games from the publishers you hate. Morons everywhere.

I think you mean WAAAAAAAAA. Otherwise you just sound like an ork.

Well i understand your anger and wish you luck i have no need to boycott Ubisoft games because i play them on my xbox

its pretty well know Ubisoft likes to screw over PC gamers the way Yahtzee like to rip games apart

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked