Who's the Biggest Bunch of Pricks in the Gaming Industry?
Activision-Blizzard
21.3% (84)
21.3% (84)
EA
50.3% (198)
50.3% (198)
Ubisoft
21.6% (85)
21.6% (85)
Other (specify company and reason)
6.1% (24)
6.1% (24)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Which Company holds the title of "Biggest Bunch of Pricks in the Business"?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I say blizzard a big prick cause they have such awesome stories in their games (or at least they DID at some point) had the money, and the peoplepower, and they choose to think on making a WARCRAFT movie....

EA. Fuck online passes, fuck day one dlc.

As an honorable mention, I'm going to say Valve. They've turned TF2 into a promotional whore, they charge obscene amounts of money for glorified skins (no other company would ever get away with what Valve pulled on the Valentines Day update), have a system in place to screw over anyone who doesn't go directly to the shop (crates), and even put a hat store in a game that had no business with hats (Portal 2).

I'm calling it now: Counter Strike GO will have hats. I will eat a hat if CS:GO doesn't have some form of store in it.

I just came here from a Ubisoft hate topic so I voted for them straight away. It's a very tough choice though. Activision haven't really done anything that effects me and although they are dicks, the only thing Capcom have done to annoy me is not add Akrid hunter to lost planet 2.

So for me it is between Ubisoft and EA. It's a hard choice to make but I am going to have to go with EA. I voted Ubisoft but I think i'd agree with those who vote EA.

Also those who think Valve is the worst. Really? I mean really? I know it's cool to hate Valve since everybody worships then and all but come one. They are not as bad as EA or Ubisoft.

FFHAuthor:

Steam is great, but you don't own anything on it.

Technically you don't own any piece of software. Not even the games without DRM and that you own the CD of.

But yeah, won't argue with you. All big companies do basically similar things (except Uibisoft, they are full blow idiots), what differs is how they treat customers. And Valve is my number 1 on that for several personal expiriences. Also they aren't afraid of competition (want to publish a rather similiar product on Steam? They gladly accept it [Q.U.B.E. for example]. Want to publish a similiar product through Activision or EA? They buy your licence and let this game die), Valve is run like the dream company (read some interviews with Gabe, if you want to be a developer Valve is pretty much the best it can get for you).

I have little problems with Steam as DRM because I use the community service. A lot. In the last weeks I used Steam more than Facebook, Twitter, ICQ, email or even my freakin phone. And add to that: I have steam on my phone now too so I don't have to pay for every short message I send. But if you don't use it I can see how this DRM is not better than Ubisofts in your eyes.

On Topic: Ubisoft. I am a PC gamer, I don't need to say more.

Bethesda. Constantly releasing broken games and then laughing when people expect them to fix the damn things.

Thoric485:

Three different flavors of awful, just can't choose.

EA just needs to be a little more off centre, towards the top right; but still equal distance for Activision and Ubi. Capcom needs to be above Ubi, but a little more further along incompetence.

Doesn't anyone see Bethesda on that list? No? How about the chart? Still no? I wonder why? And how successful are they? How much do consumers hate them? How much DRM, 1-use codes, shovelware, disc-locked content or day-one DLC do they use?
Seems like some publishers need to learn a few lessons from Bethesda.

Iwata:

I think Ubisoft is greedier than that, otherwise it seems fairly accurate.

I voted Ubisoft for their DRM and their utter stupidity when it comes to addressing complaints over it. Telling their customer that it's their fault for not buying their games. Saying they don't like making games for PC because all PC gamers are pirates. You handle your DRM and server transfers by distilling stupidity and getting awesome concentrations and purity levels, but that is nothing compared to how you handle those who are still willing to take your abuse because your games are decent. Ubisoft, you got my personal award for biggest douche in the universe.

ActiBlizz for their sheer laziness and greed. I'm not just talking about the usual Call of CTRL+V on the part of Activision, I'm on about all of the things Blizzard cut from WoW and how they did the least possible work to appease their subscribers. That's not even mentioning the significant additional fees for trivial services such as server transfer or name change.

If I had more experience with Ubisoft I'd be inclined to vote for them instead. Their DRM is the sole reason that I refuse to even try Anno 2070.

Tiswas:
Bethesda. Constantly releasing broken games and then laughing when people expect them to fix the damn things.

You are just jumping on the band wagon i had more bugs in mass effect 2 than in all bethesda games i played put together.

ot:I must say activision for their milking and killing of blizzard.

EA for their horrible, borderline flame bait advertising.

I almost missed out of Bulletstorm, Dead Space 2, and BF3 because if their awful advertising turning me off. Taking out ad space to say how much better your game is than the competitions isn't funny or clever, it's just desperate.

Thoric485:

This, except EA needs to be all the way up in the top right, and Ubisoft should be closer to 0,0.

TheKasp:
Valve is run like the dream company (read some interviews with Gabe, if you want to be a developer Valve is pretty much the best it can get for you).

That's funny.

Gorilla Gunk:

TheKasp:
Valve is run like the dream company (read some interviews with Gabe, if you want to be a developer Valve is pretty much the best it can get for you).

That's funny.

Would you care to elaborate what's so funny about it? (A little advice: That's a low content post because it has no content at all.)

EA
for banning their Origin customers from playing the games they legimitately bought, all because of some street language on their online forums.
That is unforgiveable.

It doesn't help that EA pioneered the heavy handed DRM scheme with Spore, before companies like Ubisoft also jumped on the bandwagon.

Activision are comparatively clean. Bobby Kotick is open about wanting to charge more for games and milking franchises, which is his good right as a businessman. We gamers can choose not to buy. I don't get the irrational hate for this guy.
Yeah they have heavy DRM, like almost everyone else these days; EA still wins the extra debit for that idea.
They (Blizzard) also got some redeeming qualites, like games that work pretty well new out of the box AND patch support and balance tweaks years after the games are released and not abandoning their old fans (on PC). COD sucks? I can simply choose not to play it.
Blizzard-activision are okay in my book.

So Ubisoft...DRM is the main theme here. EA still wins this contest.

TheKasp:

Gorilla Gunk:

TheKasp:

That's funny.

Would you care to elaborate what's so funny about it? (A little advice: That's a low content post because it has no content at all.)

I guess they're great for PC players but they have a whole other fan base they neglect. Using "Microsoft won't let us" as an excuse not to update their console releases was a good excuse around 07/08, but these days with developers like Bethesda and Bioware releasing sizable DLC in a timely manner, they really don't have a leg to stand on anymore.

To put this Into perspective, they announced the Cold Stream DLC around March of last year. And that wasn't a map they were building from scratch, it was a an already half done community map they decided to finish. And the rest of the pack was just made up of ported maps from L4D1. A year to release a map pack? If any other company did that a lot more people would be talking about it but because they're Valve they get a free pass which I think is bullshit.

Gorilla Gunk:

I guess they're great for PC players but they have a whole other fan base they neglect. Using "Microsoft won't let us" as an excuse not to update their console releases was a good excuse around 07/08, but these days with developers like Bethesda and Bioware releasing sizable DLC in a timely manner, they really don't have a leg to stand on anymore.

To put this Into perspective, they announced the Cold Stream DLC around March of last year. And that wasn't a map they were building from scratch, it was a an already half done community map they decided to finish. And the rest of the pack was just made up of ported maps from L4D1. A year to release a map pack? If any other company did that a lot more people would be talking about it but because they're Valve they get a free pass which I think is bullshit.

Well, you guessed right ;) As a PC gamer I have no idea what they do on consoles.

To the patch thing: I have no insights into the actual policies of Microsoft, the only thing I have is Schafer stating that uploading a patch on XBLA or PSN can cost up to 40k. A lack of support from Valve who patch games like TF 2 5 times a week (slight exagaration) is understandable IF it really costs this much. Still, the vast difference between them handeling their PC platform and consoles is a thing I won't get too much into (because of my utter lack of informations on that) so I just nod with agreement to you.

The timing problem: Valve time. They get a lot of flak from PC gamers for that as well but they get a free pass on that for various reasons.

I like the chart that's repeated here because I get the feeling that Ubisoft really is just run by a bunch of morons who don't know any better. Like they all wear helmets and take a short bus to work.

Activision and Ea are just complete D-Bags who wont be happy until they're selling us $60 demos and $180 worth of dlc for each title.

You should've added THQ as well; they're starting to turn into as big a bag of douche as EA. Saints Row 3 was a travesty with both Online Pass AND Season Pass which is basically an opportunity to buy back (months ahead of time) all the content they cut from Saints Row 3 because they think we're stupid enough to buy a ton of dlc for their obviously butchered title.

Then there are the Haskell creeps: the ones who try and sound like they're doing all these great things for us but are really just trying to rip us off. Like Bethesda for continuing to release some of the worst PS3 ports that all have the exact same big freezing problem every time; even though they say it's all been fixed every time. Or R* who gives you the opportunity to buy so much extra content... for the game that they transparently butchered off the original release. The sad thing is that people tend to fall for this.

the United States Government.

Ba dum cha!

Thoric485:

thanks for doing all the hard work!

Wow...seeing as how EA is taking in more votes than the rest of them combined, I think it's safe to say that they are indeed the biggest bunch of pricks in the gaming industry.

At least as far as this poll in concerned.

A year or two ago I would have said "Activision, hands down" thanks to the big "Fuck you" they gave to PC gamers with Modern Warfare 2...

but Electronic Arts, refusing to be out done, rose to epic heights in their level of treating customers like cash cows with the implementation of Origin, their arbitrary perma-banning system that is retroactive to games purchased BEFORE Origin even existed, and their attempt to smear Valve which to any rational thinking person was obviously a ploy to win people over on Origin.

Ubisoft just believes in a really shitty DRM philosophy. I don't think they have evil intentions, I think they're just clueless.

Activision is still greedy and still treats their customers like cash cows, BUT you can't say that they don't give their customers what they want - A CoD game every year that isn't so different that they have to learn how to play all over again.

EA purely for project 10 dollar, followed by ubisoft for always-on drm and failing to go anywhere with the assassins creed series.

rolfwesselius:

Tiswas:

You are just jumping on the band wagon i had more bugs in mass effect 2 than in all bethesda games i played put together.

ot:I must say activision for their milking and killing of blizzard.

Good for you then. I had a game that was unplayable and still has yet to be fixed. People shouldn't have to pay full price to beta a game that the developers didn't bother to.

I'm surprised that this hasn't come up yet but I'm pretty sure that in a sheer dickery competition, there are few game companies (or other companies, for that matter) that can compete with Zynga.

Ix Rebound:
defenitly Ea because of their bloody online passes,
I bought $35 worth of dlc and now they want me to buy an online pass just so i can use them!
Fuck you EA!

id like to add to my statement by saying that ive seen the butt-loads of dlc they have already announced for Mass effect 3, the damn game isn't even announced yet, and i just know that you be missing out on heaps of content if you don't buy the collectors edition, and even then they just announce some more more and make you pay even more for them!

SOE...

I've never bought a game (or borrowed one) that didn't screw me over or that wasn't severely under par.

Qitz:
the United States Government.

Ba dum cha!

In other words, what I said earlier. After all, Congress is owned by the MPAA / RIAA. :P

Ba dum chsh!!

Almost said EA, but then I remembered Zynga

I picked Ubisoft. While EA and Activision certainly have their ways (that they would do ANYTHING to squeeze out more money as long as they could get away with it and don't hesitate to put interests of players aside for more cash), Ubisoft is the only company that (in my opinion) treats PC customers as likely pirates. That's something I can't and won't deal with.

I haven't bought an Ubisoft game since they didn't port the story continuation of Prince of Persia 2009 to the PC marked. Their excuse? "Sorry!"

Easy. EA by far.

TOO HARD TO DECIDE!!!!! arghhh there all greedy burks at the best of times.

Ubisoft - there mandatory online requirement DRM and the fact there servers which decide the fate of you allowing you to play the game you paid for often bug out.

EA - There infamous ability to suck up every company they buy into there EA blamonge mass and make said companies game quality plummet/go out of business altogether.

Blizzard/Activision (focused more on blizzard though since i rarely buy activision games) - There sudden obsession with needing to log into servers just to play single player game looking at you diablo 3(similar to ubisofts method).

Well thats only some of the reasons i can think up from the top of my head. Bet theres LOADS more.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked